Author Topic: M Buckling spring stabilized keys sticking  (Read 7380 times)

Offline pr0ximity

M Buckling spring stabilized keys sticking
« on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 20:07:57 »
So this is something that's been bothering me for a bit now, just haven't had the time to look around for info and possible solutions. After doing some searching and some tinkering I've come up empty.

Does anyone else's Model M's stabilized keys (with inserts, not the spacebar) feel very different when pressing down on the right vs. left side?

On mine, pressing down on the side of the key with the stabilizer insert results in a very mushy feeling, with the key coming back up very slowly. Pressing on the side with the spring and hammer the key feels normal and crisp, like the rest of the non-stabilized keys.

It makes my shift, backspace, and enter keys feel godawful to the point where I dislike using the board (it's difficult to tap the backspace key multiple times quickly).

I suspect this is because the stabilizing pin on the key is rubbing on the sidewalls of the insert, but I've never heard anyone else complain about this before. My inserts and keys are clean to the best of my ability (my shift keys are brand new RGB's from Unicomp, backspace and enter are originals) and reseating doesn't seem to change anything, the springs buckle very nicely. I've checked the alignment of the stabilizing pins to the best of my ability and tried slightly bending them one way or another in case they weren't straight in line with the insert's barrel) without success. I also thought maybe the pins were too big for the inserts, so I sanded one down a bit, but it doesn't seem to have helped. I may sand it further to see where that gets me (probably just a less stable key...).

My next thought is lubrication, but I'm wary of putting lube in the inserts. From what I've read that's a no-no for membrane BS boards?

Literally every other key on the board feels perfect, and I love the thing to death. But I seriously can't see myself using it until I can fix those stabilized keys.  :'(
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: M Buckling spring stabilized keys sticking
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 20:22:18 »
Something like this has been discussed a few times before.

Some of the barrel inserts are not symmetrical - it definitely does matter which way around they go.

And sometimes you just need to change the angle of the inserts slightly, especially if you are mixing inserts and keycaps from different sources.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 20:24:39 »
Something like this has been discussed a few times before.

Some of the barrel inserts are not symmetrical - it definitely does matter which way around they go.

And sometimes you just need to change the angle of the inserts slightly, especially if you are mixing inserts and keycaps from different sources.

I'll keep tinkering with the alignment.

Not symmetrical how? As in flipping them 180° will result in a difference?
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 06:16:41 »
I've found that the molds for the new Unicomp inserts are slightly different from the old 1980s inserts. The newer ones are smoother inside whereas the older ones seem to have a very slight lip about halfway down. Replacing the inserts made my chronic sticking right Shift key problems go away. I don't recommend using lube there as it is often too gunky and causes the key to stick in a different way.

You'll of course also need a new insert - the black one - if you want to put a new key set on an old board. Newer numeric keypad keys use inserts instead of stabilizers.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 11:24:39 »
Do the keys use stabilizer wires?
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 11:26:48 »
You may also need new stabilizer inserts.  Sometimes they just start to stick.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 11:30:54 »
Also, have you tried swapping any of the keys that are sticking with keys that don't?
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 16:45:13 »
I did multiple key swaps on my boards - Unicomp versus IBM molds, new versus old keys - and found that stabilizer inserts were most often the culprit. In theory you may be able to modify the inside of the stabilizer insert to remove the rough spot (you can feel it if you just slide the insert against a keycaps' stabilizing post, holding it at an angle so that the post hits the edge of the inside of the insert). I've had the best luck with just replacing them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 17:51:22 »
How old is the board? As was said, it’s probably the inserts to blame. Perhaps some dirt has gotten between the stems and the inserts? You might be able to fix it by just thoroughly cleaning the inserts out, or you might be better off just getting new ones from Unicomp (they sell them for cheap). I also don’t see how lube could hurt anything, so if you want, give that a try.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 18:49:20 »
Swap the inserts from barrels with keys that don't stick and see if that makes any difference.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 20:38:08 »

Can you lube the stabiliser insert thingies on a BS keyboard?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 20:59:43 »
Not a good idea.  I have never done that.  I wouldn't recommend it either.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 21:03:26 »
You could totally lube them. I’d recommend using mostly krytox grease, maybe the geekhackers thick kit. Shouldn't take very much lube, and should help dramatically. Make sure to thoroughly clean the inserts and keycap stems first though.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 21:04:30 »

Sure.  Will it help, no.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 21:37:03 »
One vote each way, and a wet blanket :p

Fair enough.  Mine are fine, I was just wondering if it would help someone else.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 10:11:55 »
Thats for all of the suggestions, think I'm probably going to see if I can get some new inserts from Unicomp. I have new Unicomp RGB on my Shifts (err, I guess just the G) and the board itself is using the original inserts from '86, so I think it's safe to say new ones are worth a try.

I'm away from the board right now but I'll probably try switching the inserts around a bit more from one key to the other and on the OG keys vs. the Unicomp ones, at least while I wait for new inserts to be delivered. I'll be experimenting with floss modding it this coming week so the caps will be on and off of it quite regularly.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 01:10:35 »
Note to compulsive "necro spotters": Yes, I know this is an old, old thread. You can tell by the dates on the other posts. Feel free to rephrase that, if you have nothing else to do there in your parent's basement suite. However, as this topic concerns boards made in the '80s and '90s—well before GH itself was created—it can never really be "old", no matter what you think. Yikes, what was that dazzling bolt of energy that shot by and exploded in the midst of those whinging date-obsessed readers? Ah, it was the devastating point I just made.

Something like this has been discussed a few times before... Some of the barrel inserts are not symmetrical - it definitely does matter which way around they go... And sometimes you just need to change the angle of the inserts slightly...

Thanks, Rowdy me mate, for your excellent advice. The Enter key on my favourite Model M (1986 barcode 1390131) was balking when not pressed on centre. I tried lubing the barrel and key with plastic-friendly Inox, but it didn't help.

It didn't occur to me to remove and reinsert the stabilizer insert. I also noticed that, while it seemed to be firmly in place, I could get a bit of play from it by inserting a jeweler's screwdriver and gently shifting it from the bottom. I suspect it'd moved just enough to contact the key's stab pin, for it's working great again now.

Keyboard stabs are the only stable thing around here, too, so it's important they work properly.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline mattlach

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 13 January 2019, 16:01:54 »
I've had these keys sticking on my Unicomps, but never on my old Model M's.

Someone recently suggested to me lubing the inside of the holes to see if that helps.   I'm not sure what to use though.   Possibly a Silicone Oil?
IBM Beamspring > IBM Model F > IBM Model M > All Cherry MX, Alps and Topre > Rubber Dome & Scissor Switches.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 February 2019, 19:59:48 »
Note to compulsive "necro spotters": Yes, I know this is an old, old thread. You can tell by the dates on the other posts. Feel free to rephrase that, if you have nothing else to do there in your parent's basement suite. However, as this topic concerns boards made in the '80s and '90s—well before GH itself was created—it can never really be "old", no matter what you think. Yikes, what was that dazzling bolt of energy that shot by and exploded in the midst of those whinging date-obsessed readers? Ah, it was the devastating point I just made.

Show Image

Something like this has been discussed a few times before... Some of the barrel inserts are not symmetrical - it definitely does matter which way around they go... And sometimes you just need to change the angle of the inserts slightly...

Thanks, Rowdy me mate, for your excellent advice. The Enter key on my favourite Model M (1986 barcode 1390131) was balking when not pressed on centre. I tried lubing the barrel and key with plastic-friendly Inox, but it didn't help.

It didn't occur to me to remove and reinsert the stabilizer insert. I also noticed that, while it seemed to be firmly in place, I could get a bit of play from it by inserting a jeweler's screwdriver and gently shifting it from the bottom. I suspect it'd moved just enough to contact the key's stab pin, for it's working great again now.

Keyboard stabs are the only stable thing around here, too, so it's important they work properly.

:D

But a suggestion originally made by fohat, just happens to be something that I have put into practice myself.

Also you can try sticking a slender screwdriver into the inserts and wriggling them around a bit.  That definitely helped with one of my SSKs.