Author Topic: Looking for new keyboard coming from F660M  (Read 1159 times)

Offline loki993

Looking for new keyboard coming from F660M
« on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 09:25:46 »
Im currently using an F660M with MX Reds and I basically love everything about it. That said Ive just heard about MX Silvers and I want try them. It doesn't seem like Leopold makes any boards with silvers so just getting another F660 appears to be out.

so whats out there like the F660M with a similar build quality that I can get with silvers?

Are there any more options now where I can swap stems and springs or even whole switches? There wasn't much when I was in the market before, its been a few years since I've bought a new board.

Also what about he other switches? I've been a hardcore cherry guy for a while but Im hearing that some of the "cheap" switches like gaetron and kuliah that were not considered good when they came out have gotten much better? Is that true?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Looking for new keyboard coming from F660M
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 13 June 2018, 09:34:55 »
In the beginning of the keyboard journey.  You'll think about buying some BASE,  then swapping switches, springs, and such.

HOWEVER,  all of the Seasoned guys will tell you,  it a PITA to swap things around.

The best way to do this is to shotgun buy ALL the various types of switches , like 10 of each kind,  put them into a switch tester, and figure out the ones you like,

THEN, 

Build  3 to 4 separate keyboards using those switches that you've selected..

This is the most practical, and in the long run, most cost effective way to approach keyboarding.

Offline loki993

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 07:20:27 »
Good advice but not really helpful to my situation at the moment.

Are there any keyboards out there similar or better in build quality than the F660M with cherry Silvers?

Are the Gateron and Kailh at a level where they are a legitimate alternative to the cherries, because Kailh has a lot is switches including 4 different speed switches.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 June 2018, 08:16:04 by loki993 »

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 09:00:53 »
Good advice but not really helpful to my situation at the moment.

Are there any keyboards out there similar or better in build quality than the F660M with cherry Silvers?

Are the Gateron and Kailh at a level where they are a legitimate alternative to the cherries, because Kailh has a lot is switches including 4 different speed switches.

Yes, IMO Gateron, Kaihl, & Outemu have reached a decent level of parity with Cherry. For Kaihl & Outemu I can't speak for their regular lineup (blue, brown, red, & black switches), but don't see any reason they have not improved with their specialty switches. Varmilo may make a 65% board with Cherry silvers also.