Author Topic: Kailh Pro Purple (Tactile)  (Read 23441 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Kailh Pro Purple (Tactile)
« on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 13:16:41 »
Kailh Pro Purple (Tactile)

Has anyone tried these yet?  I have to say, I'm impressed.  I couldn't tell from just a single switch so I decided to put them on a 60% board

Nice tactile bump.  Not huge, but satisfying.  Bigger bump than cherry brown.  Side note: I was just looking through a recycling warehouse of old rubber domes and appreciating their tactility.  These switches are almost on par with the Dell Quiet Key rubber dome.  If you've every tried one out, you'll know the feels.

They are quiet, too!?  I'm not sure if it's the slider or the housing, but next to my zeals, they sound like they are almost dampened.  Significantly quieter than R5 67g zealios.

I'm soldiering them in, boys.  These are worth it.

Offline mgsickler

Re: Kailh Pro Purple (Tactile)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 05:43:07 »
I'm a pretty big fan of these switches. They have a pretty decent bump, although I wish it was just a bit bigger, and they are super smooth.

They are going in my next build.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 09:48:46 »
I agree that the bump could be bigger, but it's still a very nice switch.  I can't get over the sound of them.  It's better than any other MX based tactile switch out there that I've tried. I tried putting a zeal stem in the Kailh housing but it didn't feel any better.  Maybe felt worse, honestly.  And I put the Kailh stem in a zeal switch, but those gold springs in the zeals are just so creaky.  Yuck.

« Last Edit: Fri, 29 September 2017, 09:50:44 by reececonrad »

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 11:35:56 »
Where can one buy them from?

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 11:56:22 »

novelkeys

https://www.novelkeys.xyz/product/kailh-pro-switches/

I think they are similar to 62g zeals in terms of tactility, but the sound is nicer.

Offline zslane

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 12:07:31 »
Thanks for the link!

I really need to find a hotswappable 60% board. I want to test three different tactile switches: Kailh speed copper, Kailh pro purple, and Halo.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 12:19:01 »
Thanks for the link!

I really need to find a hotswappable 60% board. I want to test three different tactile switches: Kailh speed copper, Kailh pro purple, and Halo.

I think another thing I like about these Kailh purple is that the bump is right at the top, like an alps or rubber dome bump.  Zealios seem to have a very short travel before the bump. 

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 12:35:49 »
I think another thing I like about these Kailh purple is that the bump is right at the top, like an alps or rubber dome bump.  Zealios seem to have a very short travel before the bump.

I noticed that about the BOX switches too.  I'm a believer now.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 13:15:39 »
Is that 50g bottom out? That seems awfully light.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 13:19:37 »

Not sure if that's actuation or bottom out, but they don't feel exceptionally light. 

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 13:51:41 »

Not sure if that's actuation or bottom out, but they don't feel exceptionally light.

What would you say they feel comparable to?

EDIT: Nevermind. Didn't see the force curve graphs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 September 2017, 13:55:39 by eksuen »

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 September 2017, 15:28:05 »
Thanks for the link!

I may actually have a 60% hotswappable board coming out soon. :-)

Offline quasistellar

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 10:59:45 »
Thanks for the link!

I bought a $30 swappable 80% board off amazon for that purpose. I have coppers in it right now with pbt caps. Going to try my Nantucket Selectric SA on them next.

They feel similar to roamer g but with a less noticeable tactile bump right at the top of the stroke.  Almost more comparable to a cherry silver due to the subtlety of the tactile bump.  Honestly I like roamer g better but the keycaps and boards they are found in suck so much ass. This crappy $30 keyboard has better stabs ffs.  I still think Alps Oranges are the best tactile (non topre) switch but I can't seem to find a board I like for them for home use (tkl or 80%).

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 16:16:16 »
Thanks for the link!

I may actually have a 60% hotswappable board coming out soon. :-)

What's this?!   Novelkeys is going to have a keyboard?!  This will be a perfect chance for me to plaster my 50 novelkeys stickers to the inside and bottom of the case.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 30 September 2017, 17:12:19 »

novelkeys

https://www.novelkeys.xyz/product/kailh-pro-switches/

I think they are similar to 62g zeals in terms of tactility, but the sound is nicer.
Hit up heroinbob on here.  He has the Outemu 62g and 68g tactiles and is awesome and his pricing is great.  I just did a DZ60 with the 62g version and I am really liking them a lot.  He also has the 68g version (stem is darker purple). 

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 September 2017, 17:14:08 by Badwrench »
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline 3DPlatformer

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 01 October 2017, 19:49:33 »

I noticed that about the BOX switches too.  I'm a believer now.

The only Kailh switchs I've tried so far are the coppers, and I'm really liking them. It's interesting to know that other kailh switches have the bump right at the top just like the coppers do. I assumed that was a trait only of the speed switches.

Seeing as both are rated at 50g, maybe these purples are the full travel equivalent of coppers. I just ordered the Kailh Sample Pack from the Novelkeys website, so I will be able to compare them soon.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 02 October 2017, 14:35:07 »
I have tried these side by side with the 62g purple Outemu and have to say I prefer the Outemus. They are not as smooth as the Kailhs and a little less refined, but the bump is better. They feel somewhere between MX Clears and Zealios. Also noticed the Outemus make a little "squeak" during the bump. Lubing them is a great idea but they are a pain to open.

The Kailhs feel nice in re-tooled MX housings. The bump is a bit bigger and the keyfeel is smoother.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 13:15:49 »
I'm still thinking there is something special about these.  It's not about the bump.  The bump is small.  It's the sound of the switch and the force curve of the springs.  They are very special.  I'm swapping out the scratchy silent reds in my filco with these at the moment.

Offline Ramiel

• SwitchOverflow
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 15:25:29 »
I've ordered about 500 Kailh Pro switches from China at a very low price. Hopefully I can type on them early next month.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 31 October 2017, 16:46:07 »
I've ordered about 500 Kailh Pro switches from China at a very low price. Hopefully I can type on them early next month.

purples are great, as I said.  The green ones are very nice too.  Like a better MX blue.  Better sounding click, smoother, and much nicer reset on the way back up.  Haven't tried the burgundy ones.  I think they're probably too light for my taste.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 01:34:59 »
Don't even bother with Burgundys. They are extremely scratchy an feel like total crap to bottom out.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 03:44:45 »
Don't even bother with Burgundys. They are extremely scratchy an feel like total crap to bottom out.
yeah all of these new kailh switches have a weird bottom out feeling

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 07:22:11 »
yeah all of these new kailh switches have a weird bottom out feeling

Agreed. Personally the only thing most of the new Kailh switches are good for is for salvaging the housings to make Holy Greilhs (Greetech Black/Red stem and spring inside a new Kailh housing). THEN you have the best linear switch you can make, even more so if it's lubed :D
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline dante

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 November 2017, 08:59:25 »
I can't get any answer out of Kailh as to why some of their switches are being released without lubricant.

I suspect that while the enthusiast DIY market loves them they were expecting a lot more interest from big OEM's.

Since that interest hasn't materialized they are making certain decisions to cut costs.  This is an opinion of course since Kailh won't address it.