Author Topic: Tea Appreciation Thread  (Read 32232 times)

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
Re: Tea Appreciation Thread
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 09:59:53 »
AS A BRIT AND A S A EUROPEAN I'M OUTRAGED THAT MOST AMERICANS DON'T HAVE KETTLES. IT'S ONE'S BIRTH RIGHT TO USE A KETTLE TO MAKE TEA! >:D >:(
See, the thing about tea is that, from an American perspective, it’s a tool of the British Empire and a symbol of tyranny and oppression. Drinking tea marks someone as either a traitorous Tory spy, or at any rate some kind of effeminate sissy who probably can’t drive stick or throw a baseball.
Most people who drive here in the UK Drive a manual not an automatic.
Often people who want to drive an Automatic only have a license for an automatic.
Back to Tea, Today I enjoyed a pomegranite Tea

Pomegranite flavored tea.. or tea made from pomegranite..
I actually don't know O_o

I'll go downstairs, read the box and come back to you once I know
DELL AT102W Black Alps | IBM Model M 122 | Matias Tactile Pro 4

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #101 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 20:37:05 »
FWIW, I highly recommend these things:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JPA3Y8
Show Image

Once your tea is done steeping, you can flip the lid over and use it as a stand for the metal part, and the little rubber lip keeps any water that drips out from getting on your table.

Is doing the fancy stuff where I have to put ground tea in a tea ball and washing the darn thing out every day really worth it?
No, don’t use ground tea. Grinding is for coffee. Use whole tea leaves.

The problem with tea bags is that (a) they use really ****ty quality tea, (b) they chop it into super tiny pieces. As a result, there’s much greater surface area, and the tea loses a lot of its flavor through oxidation. A good loose-leaf tea can be steeped 3–6 times depending on the type. A tea bag is pretty much used up after one steep.

Well I only drink one mug a day, so I don't really need the tea bag to last beyond that.

I wouldn’t recommend using one of those little tea balls – they don’t really give the leaves room to expand. You could use a tea pot, or if it’s just one cup at a time I like the little mug-insert steeper thing I pasted a picture of up above. Or for green tea I often just put the leaves directly in a glass or mug.

I used a tea ball for awhile until it became a pain to constantly get the leftover tea leaves out of all the little divots after every use.  The device you posted basically looks like a giant tea ball.  I need a single mug fast with minimal cleanup before I leave the house, and tea bags are as easy as it gets.  If there's some device that makes using loose leaf tea easier, faster and less messy, then I'm all ears, minus the "if you think that's too hard, then nothing is easy enough for you spiel.

Also, what's the outrageous difference between boiling water in a kettle or bringing it to a boil in the microwave to the point that someone called it disgusting?  You're applying heat to the water and getting the same result; it's just quite a bit more convenient to use the microwave.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 20:50:30 »
I'm not sure about your microwave, but from my experience, microwaving anything cools down a lot faster than properly baked / boiled / pan fried stuff.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 22:04:48 »
I used a tea ball for awhile until it became a pain to constantly get the leftover tea leaves out of all the little divots after every use.  The device you posted basically looks like a giant tea ball.  I need a single mug fast with minimal cleanup before I leave the house, and tea bags are as easy as it gets.  If there's some device that makes using loose leaf tea easier, faster and less messy, then I'm all ears.
The little mug infuser thing pictured up-thread is actually really easy to clean. I just whack it against the side of the compost bin under the sink, and then rinsing any remaining leaves out takes a few seconds.

Also, what's the outrageous difference between boiling water in a kettle or bringing it to a boil in the microwave to the point that someone called it disgusting?  You're applying heat to the water and getting the same result; it's just quite a bit more convenient to use the microwave.
Heat water however you like; if you’re using tea bags you’re getting mediocre tasting tea no matter how you heat the water.

Do note that you don’t actually get precisely the same result. For one thing, it’s really hard to get water to be consistently heated to the temperature you want in a microwave (which heats quite unevenly and will also happily heat some of the water beyond the boiling point), whereas if you boil water in a kettle it’s basically guaranteed to all be at the boiling point. There’s also various stuff dissolved in the water (oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc.) that will be released the longer water stays near boiling. I don’t personally find this makes any obvious difference, but some tea connoisseurs claim they get a different tasting result if they immediately use water that has just barely gotten to a boil (in a kettle of course).

If you want to be sure, I guess you could do a double-blind taste test. I’d recommend starting with some good tea though, that’s going to make a much more dramatic difference than using a kettle instead of a microwave.

[Also note, most black tea should be steeped in boiling or near-boiling water; most other types of tea need to be steeped at lower temperatures.]

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 08:58:39 »
AS A BRIT AND A S A EUROPEAN I'M OUTRAGED THAT MOST AMERICANS DON'T HAVE KETTLES. IT'S ONE'S BIRTH RIGHT TO USE A KETTLE TO MAKE TEA! >:D >:(
See, the thing about tea is that, from an American perspective, it’s a tool of the British Empire and a symbol of tyranny and oppression. Drinking tea marks someone as either a traitorous Tory spy, or at any rate some kind of effeminate sissy who probably can’t drive stick or throw a baseball.
Most people who drive here in the UK Drive a manual not an automatic.
Often people who want to drive an Automatic only have a license for an automatic.
Back to Tea, Today I enjoyed a pomegranite Tea

Pomegranite flavored tea.. or tea made from pomegranite..
I actually don't know O_o

I'll go downstairs, read the box and come back to you once I know
I read the ingredients and there isn't actually any pomegranate in there at all.
It's raspberry dresses as Pomegranate.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:08:03 »
Mmmm, been drinking a lot of oolong again. My favorite tea :D.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #106 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:11:42 »

All oolong or a specific type?  Dong Ding is my favorite I've had so far.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 09:14:34 »

All oolong or a specific type?  Dong Ding is my favorite I've had so far.

Um. I'm not actually sure. I usually get from the Chinese market in town. The tea leaves I have is a brand that I've been drinking for as long as I can remember. The tin is in Chinese so I just recognize it from going to the market with my family. The tea bags I have at work are Foojoy Wuji Oolong tea bags.

I would like to get into nicer more specialized teas but I'm really stuck on the stuff I grew up drinking. And coffee.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 13:57:16 »
The tea bags I have at work are Foojoy Wuji Oolong tea bags.
Such silly spelling. I assume they’re referring to tea from the Wuyi mountains in Fujian?

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 16:11:42 »
I tried two different brands of pu-erh, the pricier one being Yunnan, and both taste like filtered dirt-water. I guess they're not aged enough. I do like the low astringency and mellowness though. My tea of choice is yerba mate (the official drink of Argentina). Man, some strongly-brewed mate with a dash of honey and cinnamon tastes like an old, haunted cedar drawer in a forgotten armoire in my grandma's closet--yes, that's a good thing! :)

I was wondering where some of guys got those small keyboard icons displayed at the bottoms of your comments.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 17:50:00 »
I tried two different brands of pu-erh, the pricier one being Yunnan, and both taste like filtered dirt-water. I guess they're not aged enough.
How many times did you steep the pu-erh? It really varies dramatically from on steep to the next. I don’t really drink pu-erh so take this with a grain of salt, but: You might want to throw away a first rinse steep of a few seconds (or maybe up to 30), because it’s going to not be super tasty. Then after that the next several steeps should be I think about a minute long. (Maybe starting a bit shorter and working up to a bit longer as you keep steeping the tea.) By steep 3 or 4, there shouldn’t really be much of that earthy flavor left, and you can probably get at least 6 steeps out of the tea, if not more.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 20:35:22 »
I tried two different brands of pu-erh, the pricier one being Yunnan, and both taste like filtered dirt-water. I guess they're not aged enough.
How many times did you steep the pu-erh? It really varies dramatically from on steep to the next. I don’t really drink pu-erh so take this with a grain of salt, but: You might want to throw away a first rinse steep of a few seconds (or maybe up to 30), because it’s going to not be super tasty. Then after that the next several steeps should be I think about a minute long. (Maybe starting a bit shorter and working up to a bit longer as you keep steeping the tea.) By steep 3 or 4, there shouldn’t really be much of that earthy flavor left, and you can probably get at least 6 steeps out of the tea, if not more.

I still like that first steep, but yeah, the true flavor where it really shines is a couple of steeps in, usually around the third steep.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 20:59:01 »
I was instructed to wash the pu-erh prior to steeping because of the dirt in it. Or at least that's what the instruction card the guy at the tea shop gave me, he didn't speak any English.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 21:00:43 »
I was instructed to wash the pu-erh prior to steeping because of the dirt in it. Or at least that's what the instruction card the guy at the tea shop gave me, he didn't speak any English.

Any Chinese tea should get a quick rinse with warm water before you steep it to help open it up, warm the leaves, and get the best flavor out of it...or so I was told by a guy in a Chinese tea shop in Seattle.  I still like that first steep of Pu-Erh though.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 15:34:15 »

Any Chinese tea should get a quick rinse with warm water before you steep it to help open it up, warm the leaves, and get the best flavor out of it...or so I was told by a guy in a Chinese tea shop in Seattle.  I still like that first steep of Pu-Erh though.

I usually run warm water over the leaves of tea that come in twisted leaves or gun powder balls to let them open up. I've noticed that with each consecutive steep pu-erh does indeed get more mild and less dirty tasting. It also complements meals a lot better than green teas and some white teas. :thumb:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 17:13:38 »
I prefer the first & second steep for pu-erh. I guess it's an acquired taste.  :p
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 07:38:47 »
Who knew I'd find tea enthusiasts here as well?
I love me the traditional Chinese tea.
I have 2 nice puerh cakes, some high mountain oolong and more!
Some of my favorites are Feng Huang teas and the high mountain Oolongs
I find one of my puerh cakes (2004) very earthy and dark in taste but the other one is wonderfully rich and smooth (still with a darker taste)
http://imgur.com/a/nVy1R

In the Gaiwan I have a Feng Huang and the Yixing Clay teapot there is dedicated to my oolongs.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 13:25:12 »
GL1TCH3D, that is a fine-looking tea set.  I have a small iron teapot with metal basket that I have yet to actually use for something other than decoration on my media shelf.  I am most fond of my ceramic Year-of-the-Rat tea mug with tea basket and lid.  I use it mainly for pu-erh so the inside is lined with a hearty brown stain (for lack of an automatic dishwasher).  ;)

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 13:27:36 »
GL1TCH3D, that is a fine-looking tea set.  I have a small iron teapot with metal basket that I have yet to actually use for something other than decoration on my media shelf.  I am most fond of my ceramic Year-of-the-Rat tea mug with tea basket and lid.  I use it mainly for pu-erh so the inside is lined with a hearty brown stain (for lack of an automatic dishwasher).  ;)

The yixing clay teapots are a special blend of clay that supposedly absorb some of the flavor and color of the tea. You're not actually supposed to wash it! (Though do wash the ceramic)

Offline mauri

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 14:29:20 »
(turkish) apple tea is the ****
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 04:38:43 »

I usually run warm water over the leaves of tea that come in twisted leaves or gun powder balls to let them open up. I've noticed that with each consecutive steep pu-erh does indeed get more mild and less dirty tasting. It also complements meals a lot better than green teas and some white teas. :thumb:

IMHO...   good tea is usually pretty clean...

it's ok to rinse tea.. but it makes very little difference if you just pour and pour out in 10 seconds, because the dirt is Folded INTO the leaves, because they curl during the drying process..

So... If you wait until they uncurl and rinsed then.. You'd lose MOST of the flavor...

Offline Dog

• Bark
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 22 August 2014, 22:24:17 »
Just got this in the mail

Offline iri

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 04:05:28 »
my chinese clay teapot:

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 21:13:25 »
my chinese clay teapot:

Show Image

Another clay teapot owner!
What year was yours made?

Offline iri

« Reply #124 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 05:00:08 »
if memory serves me well, it's like 4 years old.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 07:17:30 »

Oh =S Where did you get it?
My research into clay teapots didn't have much good news back when I was buying one. (As in most of the modern clay teapots didn't have proper mixes of clay/had filler)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #126 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 07:24:49 »

My research into clay teapots didn't have much good news back when I was buying one. (As in most of the modern clay teapots didn't have proper mixes of clay/had filler)

there's really no reason to get unglazed clay, unless ur in it for the "collection"

Generally glazed has far less influence on the chemistry of your liquid..  it also doesn't soak up old oil / flavor

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 11:55:28 »

there's really no reason to get unglazed clay, unless ur in it for the "collection"

Generally glazed has far less influence on the chemistry of your liquid..  it also doesn't soak up old oil / flavor

Isn't that last point the reason unglazed yixing clay teapots are still in demand?

Offline iri

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 03:55:27 »

in a tea shop.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 07:07:04 »

Isn't that last point the reason unglazed yixing clay teapots are still in demand?

Tea is one of the elitist activities carried by the Nouveau-riche, at least in China.

The pots ARE in demand, but not for the right reasons, that being Tea.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 10:50:31 »
I've always liked to drink iced tea. Anybody else on here drink iced tea too?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Protato_Tubby

• people enthusiast
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 11:10:17 »
I've tried it a couple of times, but I don't drink it regularly.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #132 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 16:01:32 »
I've tried it a couple of times, but I don't drink it regularly.

I only drink iced tea when I'm at my parents' house. My dad makes southern-style iced tea, being that we're from Florida, US of A. He brews it strong and loads it with sugar and lime. :p

Offline turtlelordjp

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 21:53:54 »
being a southerner I love me some iced tea.  I would have it over any other sweet drink. I also like hot tea, any recommendations for some good loose leaf tea I can get online because there doesn't seem to be much around where I am.  I'm down for anything not to labor intensive or bitter.  Thanks

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 23:10:35 »
being a southerner I love me some iced tea.  I would have it over any other sweet drink. I also like hot tea, any recommendations for some good loose leaf tea I can get online because there doesn't seem to be much around where I am.  I'm down for anything not to labor intensive or bitter.  Thanks

I just throw some dirt into ice water..   delicious

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 23:38:19 »

Tea is one of the elitist activities carried by the Nouveau-riche, at least in China.

The pots ARE in demand, but not for the right reasons, that being Tea.

Yixing clay teapots are definitely elitist, I will agree to that

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 01 September 2014, 22:28:22 »

Also poison and insecticides.
 :p

Offline GL1TCH3D

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 02 September 2014, 08:13:24 »

Also poison and insecticides.
 :p

I have a friend that spends a lot of time studying tea and I talked to him about washing tea.
He told me that washing tea was more of a tradition because in the past tea would get dirty when traveling long distances.
Of course nowadays, like you said, with the chemicals they use in growing now it can't hurt to wash the tea anyway.

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 18:39:50 »
So... loose-leaf tea needs to be washed before use or something?

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 04 September 2014, 18:43:49 »
All tea needs to be washed it's part of the tradition.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 20:57:45 »
This thread has risen by the power of necromancy:

I'm a big tea guy, so I'll unload tea stuff here from time to time.

I'm currently as I said in another thread: Into South African Rooibos and Honeybush, which I enjoy in the evenings with honey.

Heck I'm going to make some right now.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline yuppie

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 22:33:32 »
It's been a little while, but I've been getting tea from Red Blossom Tea Company https://redblossomtea.com/ -- I tend to stick to Oolong

Old Grove: https://redblossomtea.com/products/old-grove-shui-xian-ca-2013?variant=13560896421950

This tea is super good.
"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline Daniel-J

« Reply #142 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 06:20:41 »
A friend of mine has a tea shop and he says the supply has been bad lately, because of this virus. Don't you have a problem with shopping for your favorite tea? Of all the tea I have left at home is this model for my hydroponics farm. The rest of the regular tea is out of stock, I have to go to the shop.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 02:45:49 »
Yorkshire Tea do a brew that tastes like it has biscuits in it.

It's great
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 11:53:58 »
Irish people drink a lot of tea. I think Turkey is the only one drinks more.

I like Barry's because that's what my family always drank. Loose tea in a steel kettle.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #145 on: Mon, 16 March 2020, 16:02:58 »
Been into echinacea tea lately for obvious reasons, but I hate when they combo the flavor with licorice because it makes the tea all thick and disgusting.

Offline smarmar

« Reply #146 on: Sat, 18 April 2020, 18:19:27 »
Been into echinacea tea lately for obvious reasons, but I hate when they combo the flavor with licorice because it makes the tea all thick and disgusting.
You must be getting your tea from the States. Manufacturers who cater to the US tend to add flavorings and/or sugar to most food products so that our overly-sugared consumers won't have to taste the bitterness...ooh yucky! It's difficult for me to find ginger snack pieces that aren't covered with sugar, even at the Asian grocery stores.