Author Topic: What kind of switches are these?  (Read 4224 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
What kind of switches are these?
« on: Fri, 23 November 2007, 16:31:33 »
I took out my oldest Apple keyboard and was clicking on it and I noticed the key feel wasn't quite right. I took off a couple keycaps and this is what I found:

It looks a bit like an Alps switch, but the slider is wrong and there is no logo on it. The switches feel like a cross between the Cherry ML blacks and the Alps blacks, they click but lack the spring sound of my keyboards with Alps black and orange sliders. They also feel as stiff as the Cherry MX black sliders.

Here are a few more pics to look at, and lit me know if you have any clue what these are. I think they are some sort of Alps knock-offs.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 November 2007, 16:34:02 »
Here is a pic of an Alps switch for reference:

This is from my SMK 85 as we all can see. I went to snap a pic of the orange sliders which were made one year later than the Apple Desktop Bus above, and I noticed they look nearly identical to the ones in the SMK, but they do not have the Alps logo on the top.

These are the orange sliders that came in another of my three Apple Desktop Bus Keyboards. These feel a little lighter to the touch than the blacks I am typing on right now, and they are not quite as noisey. They do click, but it isn't very profound anymore. 20 years of use will do that though.

This keyboard is pretty dirty. I didn't clean it up yet since this is the one with the dead switch under the F key. If I end up fixing it, then I'll clean it up, but for now I just use it as a reference. The Alps blacks are better than the oranges.

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 01:11:17 »
If there's a label on the back of the keyboard, then that could give some more information that could lead to the kind of keyswitches it uses.
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 01:33:14 »
It's an Apple branded keyboard and even back then, Apple wouldn't lower themselves to promote anyone else, but thanks for the input.

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 02:25:26 »
But is there a label that you'd be willing to take a picture of and post?  I've used a keyboard like that before, back when I was in 1st/2nd grade in elementary school (too young to remember what the type feel was like though).
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 03:18:35 »
This is the one with orange switches:

Here is the one with the white whatchamawho'sits:

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 03:33:02 »
So far, I found this Korean site, although I can't read Korean.  But from the page, the keyswitches are likely Mitsumi mechanical keyswitches.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 03:39:47 »
I don't think their new keyboards are anything special though ...

http://tech.yahoo.com/pr/mitsumi-keyboard/1990808413

Offline fkeidjn

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 25 November 2007, 03:42:18 »
Rubber domes.  I'm not even sure if Mitsumi has produced their own mechanical switches during the old IBM and Alps age.