Author Topic: [GB] CU65 - LIVE - Ends 16-12-2019 - Current Orders: 110  (Read 27649 times)

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
[GB] CU65 - LIVE - Ends 16-12-2019 - Current Orders: 110
« on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 05:47:21 »

https://caps-unlocked.com/group-buy-cu65/

The CU65 is our take on a custom 65% mechanical keyboard kit.

The case consists of three main parts – a high-profile top case, a bottom plate and a footbar – with all three being crafted using high quality Aluminium. The top case has been milled from a solid Aluminium block and features and integrated plate that supports both ANSI and ISO layouts. Alongside its light weight, the case features filleted edges and rounded corners making it extremely nice and easy to hold when you want to move it.

The footbar is a solid full-length Aluminium bar - it attaches to the base plate (3 x M3 screws) and supports the entire keyboard giving it an eight-degree gradient.

The final piece of the case is the rubber foot that also sits underneath the case (on the edge closest to the user). This foot allows the case to sit comfortably on any typing surface; two rubber feet will be included to allow enthusiasts to use their CU65 with a 0 degree gradient.

There is one PCB; ANSI and ISO will be on the same PCB. Please have a look at the product images to see all of the switch layout options. The CU65 is the first custom  PCB in the world to support ISO and ANSI on a hot-swap board!

The PCBs come with QMK loaded onto them. QMK is highly customisable and allows mechanical keyboard enthusiasts to really make their CU65, their CU65. Although the CU65 will come with our firmware loaded, meaning that you can plug in and use, more experienced users still have the option to re-map keys and functions as they see fit via QMK. Please note that the CU65 PCB does not feature any LEDs.

Don’t like soldering? That’s ok, neither do we – that’s why the CU65 features hot-swap sockets underneath each key! Want to try out some new MX style switches? All you have to do is pull your current switches out, and pop your new switches in – yes, it’s that simple.

The PCBs support plate and PCB mounted switches. In addition to this, users may also use PCB, plate or screw-in stabilisers.

Spec Summary
Included in the Base Kit (No Extras)

Aluminium Top Case
Aluminium Base Plate
Aluminium Footbar
Rubber Foot
PCB
USB Type-C Cable
Foam Insert

PCB Specs

ANSI and ISO!
QMK Support
Hot-Swap Sockets
Standard Bottom Row Support (6.25u Spacebar) and 7u Spacebar Support
Split-Backspace Support
Stepped Caps Lock
Supports MX Style Switches
Supports PCB and Plate Mounted Switches
Supports PCB, Plate or Screw-In Stabilisers

Group Buy Information

Start Date: 01-12-2019

End Date: 15-12-2019

MOQ: 25 Units

Current Orders: 93 Orders

Lead Time: 2 Months

Photos:

Attached images are not being displayed, click the links below to see more:

https://www.instagram.com/caps_unlocked/?hl=en

Sound Tests:

Sound tests are in the process of being uploaded to our YouTube channel. You can view them here: [/size]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKQjTnUpeng29o4ityUu5ug

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 December 2019, 17:07:28 by CAPS UNLOCKED »

Offline TuCZnak

Re: [GB] CU65 - LIVE - Ends 15-12-2019 - Current Orders: 93
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 11:47:41 »
This looks like a killer deal, shame that it's a 65%. Do you possibly have a 75% variant planned?
Also, where do the keyboards ship from? Would hate to pay customs fees in EU...

Offline supermunny

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 01:55:09 »
Please have a look at the product images to see all of the switch layout options.

I can't seem to find the layout option images on the product page or Instagram?

Offline cpt-nic

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 02:53:06 »
Please have a look at the product images to see all of the switch layout options.

I can't seem to find the layout option images on the product page or Instagram?
I found it here: https://caps-unlocked.com/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-cu65-and-the-upcoming-group-buy/

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 06:38:52 »
This looks like a killer deal, shame that it's a 65%. Do you possibly have a 75% variant planned?
Also, where do the keyboards ship from? Would hate to pay customs fees in EU...

Ships from the UK, so no Import duties, or customs issues, you will have to pay VAT though, but thats handled at checkout

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 02:41:25 »
As of this morning we are at 103 orders! Thank you to everyone who made this possible!

Offline Magnificent Bureaucrat

• Sooooo much red tape
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 15:21:33 »
Are we likely to see some pics of the full package (rather than just the case) before the GB deadline? I'm really tempted to take the plunge but I'd really like to see something approaching the finished article first.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
Re: [GB] CU65 - LIVE - Ends 16-12-2019 - Current Orders: 110
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 17:09:22 »

Sound tests are in the process of being uploaded to our YouTube channel. You can view them here: [size=78%]https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKQjTnUpeng29o4ityUu5ug[/size]

[/size]Two more sound tests will be uploaded tomorrow. [size=78%]

[/size]Current orders: 110[size=78%]

[/size]GB has been extended until the 16th Dec to allow people the chance to listen to the sound tests. [size=78%]

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 12 December 2019, 17:10:53 »
Are we likely to see some pics of the full package (rather than just the case) before the GB deadline? I'm really tempted to take the plunge but I'd really like to see something approaching the finished article first.

Yes! More images will be uploaded tomorrow of the CU65 kit with JTK Red Riot keycaps!

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 07:23:03 »

I was going to release Sound tests for Cherry MX Blue and Brown switches but there is an issue with the recordings.

Here is a video comparing MX Blue and Brown switches to a stock Leopold FC660M with stock MX Red Switches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo-AvD7KpBM&feature=youtu.be

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 17:19:31 »

Yes! More images will be uploaded tomorrow of the CU65 kit with JTK Red Riot keycaps!

Can't wait for the pics, and the Board for that matter, love the dual ISO ansi compatibility and Design Philosoph in general. Only gripe Would be that it isnt in gray, but then again black is usually a pretty great neutral colour.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 10:45:21 »

Several images added to the store page!

PCB images show how we are getting split-BS, ANSI, ISO and Stepped Caps all on one board!

HS-Socket and Switch orientations depend onthe layout you choose.

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 15:59:22 »

PCB images show how we are getting split-BS, ANSI, ISO and Stepped Caps all on one board!

east and west facing switches are not a good idea, the x and y axis of the stems are different and if they arent matched with their corresponding slots the keycaps can stretch or even break, I bought the keyboard before I noticed this, I hope that you reconsider this approach

UPDATE

I was incorrect, no damage seems to occur after CAPSUNLOCKED tested my theory.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 December 2019, 10:33:24 by raptorzoz »

Offline halobride

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 16:58:40 »

east and west facing switches are not a good idea, the x and y axis of the stems are different and if they arent matched with their corresponding slots the keycaps can stretch or even break, I bought the keyboard before I noticed this, I hope that you reconsider this approach

Wow, didn't thought of that... This might be a problem, I bought it thinking the switches would only change between north and south facing.
Let's see if they have some solution for this.

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 15 December 2019, 03:02:21 »
ISO Enter is okay, but ISO \|, ANSI Enter and ANSI \| are in stem-breaking orientation. If this won't be changed, then avoid using GMK sets or any keycaps with stiffer MX cross holes. Smaller tolerance issues of Kailh BOX stems broke lots of GMK keycaps.

CU80 is still not delivered, so although I've planned to get in I'll skip this GB (this switch orientation problem just confirms that decision).
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 December 2019, 03:21:13 by dmatx1 »

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 15 December 2019, 09:16:40 »

Please stop bull****ting other people, the MX stem is an even cross 4.1mm in both dimensions and with even thickness on both east-west and north-south axes. The only reason why turning switches 90° might be a problem is with some sculpted keycap profiles, the keycap can collide with switch housing, producing unwanted noise and reducing travel.

Sideways switches were used e.g. in MiniVan for years and nobody minds them, with uniform profiles it's literally a non-issue.

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 December 2019, 09:20:47 by TuCZnak »

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 15 December 2019, 10:26:29 »

Please stop bull****ting other people, the MX stem is an even cross 4.1mm in both dimensions and with even thickness on both east-west and north-south axes. The only reason why turning switches 90° might be a problem is with some sculpted keycap profiles, the keycap can collide with switch housing, producing unwanted noise and reducing travel.

Sideways switches were used e.g. in MiniVan for years and nobody minds them, with uniform profiles it's literally a non-issue.

Show Image

Not my intention to bull**** anyone, I wanted to raise a potential concern. Capsunlocked has tested the keycaps, and responded on the discord server. no problems were observed. I am sorry for the fuss I caused. But I can assure you that this was in no way malicious. I bought this keyboard, and have spent considerable time trying to test if my concern is warranted. The fact is that the x and y axis have different thicknesses, whether this was a problem was unknown to me and to those I asked.

« Last Edit: Sun, 15 December 2019, 10:29:38 by raptorzoz »

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 12:51:53 »
ISO Enter is okay, but ISO \|, ANSI Enter and ANSI \| are in stem-breaking orientation. If this won't be changed, then avoid using GMK sets or any keycaps with stiffer MX cross holes. Smaller tolerance issues of Kailh BOX stems broke lots of GMK keycaps.

CU80 is still not delivered, so although I've planned to get in I'll skip this GB (this switch orientation problem just confirms that decision).

I have been testing JTK and GMK keycaps in all orientations on standard Cherry MX RGB Switches - no keycaps have suffered any issues.

I understand the concern but the |\(ISO), ANSI Enter and |\(ANSI) have not broken. The ISO |\ is in the same orientation as all of the other alphas and so I am not sure why you are claiming that this would break? I am genuinely committed to testing this (I am actually trying to break the keycaps/stems) but at the moment I haven't found any flaws/issues.

I am happy to hear more suggestions.   

Offline raptorzoz

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 17:20:41 »
After consulting with a wide variety of members in the keyboard community, and testing whether east/west facing switches changed any characteristic of all keycap types I own (thin lasered Corsair strafe ABS keycaps, thick 1.5mm PBT ePBT slate, and JTK Tripleshot (thick) ABS, I discovered that east/west facing switches do not stretch, crack, or in any way damage keycaps.

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 18:12:55 »
After consulting with a wide variety of members in the keyboard community, and testing whether east/west facing switches changed any characteristic of all keycap types I own (thin lasered Corsair strafe ABS keycaps, thick 1.5mm PBT ePBT slate, and JTK Tripleshot (thick) ABS, I discovered that east/west facing switches do not stretch, crack, or in any way damage keycaps.

I appreciate you challenging this new design, it only makes us better and eases any concerns from ourselves and the community!

Offline CAPS UNLOCKED

• capsunlocked
Re: [GB] CU65 - Final Orders: 147 - GB HAS ENDED - Production Starts Soon!
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 16 December 2019, 18:14:55 »

CU65 group buy has now ended! Final count was 147 orders!

Thank you to everyone who has joined the group buy and supported this kit over the past couple of weeks, we really appreciate it! We will be spending the next few days checking all of the orders and making sure there are no order issues etc.

Offline halobride

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 05:37:46 »
How is it going? Any news?

Offline Wickles

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 17:00:01 »
How is it going? Any news?

Last update was provided on the 31/12/2019 on CU's website. Link: https://caps-unlocked.com/group-buy-status/

CU65:

- Cases have entered production.

- Prototype PCB is undergoing final checks before entering production.

- We aim to start shipping in February.

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 09 January 2020, 05:17:49 »
And in discord:

“Factory is actually working really hard and are hoping to ship the case before CNY!

If not I will get them early-Feb, which is still within the timeframe!”

Offline weichenyang0723

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 14:17:32 »
can someone send me a link to the discord for this ? I joined the GB in Nov and would like to be kept in the loop for update. Thanks !

Offline benfrain

• benfrain.com
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 15:23:45 »
Is this what you need? https://discord.gg/n8dJbK

Apologies. New to discord!

Offline weichenyang0723

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 05 February 2020, 17:10:56 »
^ thanks, appreciated  :)

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
« Reply #27 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 20:31:38 »
Any updates guys? Also can I grab a current link to Discord!