Author Topic: [IC] TYPE BOX 101800  (Read 67357 times)

Offline jabe8i

Re: [IC] TYPE BOX 101800
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 29 December 2022, 23:06:59 »
I too am disappointed to hear the arrow keys are gone. I will wait for new renders before passing judgement.

Isn't the board going to look like the pictures at the very top of this page?

Offline hzh0525

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 22 January 2023, 19:09:59 »
this is what I need! the most comprehensive full layout keyborad. I will definitely buy one when GB starts! Can't wait!

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 23 January 2023, 05:15:44 »
I actually like the new layout, it is just like my w1 but with added fkeys and the knobs. Using numpad for nav is something I got super comfy with.
Not sure if I can join this project because of the price point but for sure something I will keep an eye on.

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 24 January 2023, 15:51:47 »
Removed arrow keys takes this from Hero to Zero, will pass on that layout.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 24 January 2023, 15:53:29 »
Yeah no arrow keys is a bit of a shame.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline acerb

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 26 January 2023, 02:01:18 »

You can and should use the bottom of the numpad row as arrow keys on default layer (non num-locked).
I had the same comment as you then tried recently and it's actually as simple and natural... 

Offline Leszy

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 26 January 2023, 02:51:10 »

You can and should use the bottom of the numpad row as arrow keys on default layer (non num-locked).
I had the same comment as you then tried recently and it's actually as simple and natural...
One of the reasons for use and charms of full-size(ish) keyboard is, at least for me, no need for layers as you have keys for days. You can customise everything to your needs and not rely on your layers. This is why this change is so controversial for me. If I was to look for keyboard that will force me to use layers I would look for one that would give me at least lots of desk space in return (meaning 40-60%). TypeBox in its current form sacrifices both usability (forcing me to use layers) and desk space (being big chungus of a board) for undoubtedly unique and attractive form. I understand this take, but makes me not interested in TypeBox.
I guess I am not alone in this feeling as there are many voices grieving after arrow cluster.

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 26 January 2023, 03:08:48 »
Plus for navigating spreadsheets you don't want to be switching layers any time you want to jump across a few cells and enter some values :/

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 26 January 2023, 06:11:10 »
And if you use the configuration mentioned with the cursor keys on the bottom part of the numpad, the number keys would all move up a row and not align with the keys left to it.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Offline hello21

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 27 January 2023, 10:24:58 »
No arrows is a yay to nay for me as well.
I feel the purpose of 100+ keys is removing the need to fiddle with layers

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 27 January 2023, 13:33:01 »

One of the reasons for use and charms of full-size(ish) keyboard is, at least for me, no need for layers as you have keys for days. You can customise everything to your needs and not rely on your layers. This is why this change is so controversial for me. If I was to look for keyboard that will force me to use layers I would look for one that would give me at least lots of desk space in return (meaning 40-60%). TypeBox in its current form sacrifices both usability (forcing me to use layers) and desk space (being big chungus of a board) for undoubtedly unique and attractive form. I understand this take, but makes me not interested in TypeBox.
I guess I am not alone in this feeling as there are many voices grieving after arrow cluster.

I completely agree with what you said here.  Removing the arrow keys in the latest revision and having to either use layers (with the num lock key) to switch between arrows and numbers, OR taking space from the numpad in order to create dedicated arrow keys are both less than ideal and detract from the intention of this being a function-first keyboard design meant for content creators and professionals.  As a content creator myself who is constantly using arrow keys, and frequently using numbers as well, it's going to be a bit annoying and will take some adjustment to get used to this layout in whatever form I decide to use. 

With all that said, I love the overall design and functionality enough otherwise that I'm still planning to buy one and find a way to make the layout work for me despite the unfortunate loss of a dedicated arrow cluster.  It's not every day a keyboard design like this comes around, and I know I'd probably kick myself if I passed on it without at least trying to find a workable solution to the arrow/numpad issue.  I'm reminded of that old saying in these situations that there's no such thing as perfection in anything in life, so you have to weigh the pros vs cons, and for me this one still comes out as a rare must buy as I'm confident I can figure out an imperfect but workable way to use it with my dedicated arrow keys workflow needs. Now just hoping the price comes down at least a little bit before the GB starts.....
Founder of FitLabb.com - an online fitness & nutrition platform
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline Rvver

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 29 January 2023, 20:24:01 »
losing the arrow keys makes me very sad. was definitely interested up until that change

im sure itll still turn out great and others will still enjoy it but its just no longer for me

Offline Starius

« Reply #112 on: Sat, 11 February 2023, 09:23:08 »
What do we gotta do to get the original layout back? 🤞

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 12 February 2023, 15:34:39 »

If one more person tells me to use layers...
Why don't you just use a keyboard with 3 keys, one for layer up, one for layer down, and one for input. It's just as efficient as a fullsize keyboard!
Fr if it works for you that's great but layers just don't vibe with me.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.

Offline a_saker

• huh?
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 12 February 2023, 19:12:51 »
This is sick! Perfect work keyboard

Offline Oogtug84

« Reply #115 on: Sat, 18 February 2023, 14:26:25 »

Why don't you just use a keyboard with 3 keys, one for layer up, one for layer down, and one for input. It's just as efficient as a fullsize keyboard!

Let a designer design. If one needs arrows so badly maybe this board just isn't for you. As much as it's not on layer enjoyers to dictate preferences to people that don't like them not like people can dictate layouts because they can't use more than two fingers at a time.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #116 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 12:50:30 »

Let a designer design. If one needs arrows so badly maybe this board just isn't for you. As much as it's not on layer enjoyers to dictate preferences to people that don't like them not like people can dictate layouts because they can't use more than two fingers at a time.
Since geekhack didn't like my previous response all I have to say is this designer can design whatever they like, but if they drive away too many people there's no way in heck this is getting off the ground.

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 12:52:42 »
And the designer can choose to ignore the input, but he isn't designing it only for himself.

Offline Verrine

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 12:58:32 »
And the designer can choose to ignore the input, but he isn't designing it only for himself.

The designer has been putting great effort in trying to listen to the feedback. There are several alternative layouts  designed for instances which the community over on the discord could discuss. There is also a poll ongoing still I believe.

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #119 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 13:09:07 »
I'm not claiming otherwise.

Offline Verrine

« Reply #120 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 13:36:25 »

Indeed, sorry if it came out weird. Was more so to add to your statement as well and encourage some really passionate to go voice over there. :)

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #121 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 14:31:29 »

Indeed, sorry if it came out weird. Was more so to add to your statement as well and encourage some really passionate to go voice over there. :)
Damn, thanks for the info! I'll head over there now and vote in the poll.

Offline Aznakh

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 04:15:55 »
For anyone following this thread and not keeping track on discord, arrow keys seems to be back as well as some other changes to the layout.

Offline Rvver

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 24 February 2023, 09:36:30 »
For anyone following this thread and not keeping track on discord, arrow keys seems to be back as well as some other changes to the layout.

doesnt look like it

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 13:47:02 »
And yet....

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 13:52:15 »
And yet....
Show Image

Oh no but you don't understand you have to let a designer design what they want to design even though what you initially were interested in isn't part of the project anymore.
I'm not demanding that the arrow keys be added back, but I gotta say now that they're not there I've lost interest. GLWGB!
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2023, 13:54:52 by CaesarAZealad »

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #126 on: Sat, 25 February 2023, 14:03:01 »
Those are the designer"s words from earlier this month.

« Last Edit: Sat, 25 February 2023, 14:18:09 by ItIsWritten »

Offline just.hymn

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 27 February 2023, 02:22:42 »
Hey guysss,

Just chiming in on the confusion with arrows keys, so to avoid further arguments.
As the votes are in, I have decided to go with AT layout (no arrow keys). Which
I have sent to a CAD engineer for inspection and to remodel. I'm mostly active
on discord where we can discuss and talk.

Sorry to heard some of ya'll will be leaving on this journey, and hopefully
I could make something that will interest you again in the future.

I'm truly grateful for the interest and the attention I've received with Type Box.
I really am, thanks.

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 19 April 2023, 07:57:15 »
Numpad but no dedicated arrow keys 😂

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 19 April 2023, 12:04:49 »
Hey guysss,

Just chiming in on the confusion with arrows keys, so to avoid further arguments.

I'm truly grateful for the interest and the attention I've received with Type Box.
I really am, thanks.

To start, I just want to say that I think you're a valuable asset to the hobby as one of the great up-and-coming designers, and I completely respect that you created that poll to gauge interest in either layout as I think that was a great thing to do.  However, something I noticed was that it had a very low participation rate compared to the number of people who know about this keyboard and who initially had great interest in it, which I largely think is due to the fact that the poll wasn't well publicized, the poll was released a bit late in the game after it was announced that the arrow keys were deleted from the design (which frankly turned a lot of people off and made them lose interest and stop following the project at that point), and it just didn't reach as many people as a result of that to give a full and accurate picture of what people really wanted on either side.  I'm very active in the hobby online and found that a lot of people I knew that were initially interested in the board had no clue about the poll, since they stopped following the project after they heard about the deletion of the dedicated arrow keys before the poll was posted on Discord (and then also finding out that the poll had concluded a couple months ago with votes being in favor of no arrow keys).  After going to a recent keyboard meetup (my first one ever), this same thing randomly came up in conversation with many people there, and the vast majority of which had the same exact experience after losing interest and no longer following the project after the announcement of the loss of arrow keys, but before the poll was posted.

Long story short, I think the results of that poll would have been very different had it been posted sooner (especially if it was done before any layout changes removing arrow keys were made and announced both here and on Discord).  One interesting thing is that the gap in the poll numbers has been closing ever since the decision was made on the layout back around February, as it's currently 74-62, and seems there would have been much greater interest in it than the poll reflects based on all the people I've had conversations with about this project, as it's now much less functional for a lot of people than originally intended.

To end on a positive note, I did want to say that I love how open you've been to receiving feedback from people on this project all along, and how well you've handled any critical feedback with a very kind and professional tone.  This remains one of my favorite keyboard designs to date, and will probably be the largest board I'll ever buy simply because I love the very unique aesthetics of it.  Due to the loss of dedicated arrow keys, it unfortunately won't likely be in my regular rotation as I had originally intended, but hopefully I'll find some sort of reasonable workaround that won't trip me up or slow down my workflow too much so I can use it fairly often (something that doesn't use layers or that doesn't compromise the numpad layout).  Either way, I'm glad that we have such a creative designer in the hobby like you who is also so open to listening to the potential buyers of your creation, and I'll certainly be watching to see what interesting designs you come up with in the future.
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline Starius

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 19 April 2023, 20:44:42 »
Hey guysss,

I really am, thanks.

To start, I just want to say that I think you're a valuable asset to the hobby as one of the great up-and-coming designers, and I completely respect that you created that poll to gauge interest in either layout as I think that was a great thing to do.  However, something I noticed was that it had a very low participation rate compared to the number of people who know about this keyboard and who initially had great interest in it, which I largely think is due to the fact that the poll wasn't well publicized, the poll was released a bit late in the game after it was announced that the arrow keys were deleted from the design (which frankly turned a lot of people off and made them lose interest and stop following the project at that point), and it just didn't reach as many people as a result of that to give a full and accurate picture of what people really wanted on either side.  I'm very active in the hobby online and found that a lot of people I knew that were initially interested in the board had no clue about the poll, since they stopped following the project after they heard about the deletion of the dedicated arrow keys before the poll was posted on Discord (and then also finding out that the poll had concluded a couple months ago with votes being in favor of no arrow keys).  After going to a recent keyboard meetup (my first one ever), this same thing randomly came up in conversation with many people there, and the vast majority of which had the same exact experience after losing interest and no longer following the project after the announcement of the loss of arrow keys, but before the poll was posted.

Long story short, I think the results of that poll would have been very different had it been posted sooner (especially if it was done before any layout changes removing arrow keys were made and announced both here and on Discord).  One interesting thing is that the gap in the poll numbers has been closing ever since the decision was made on the layout back around February, as it's currently 74-62, and seems there would have been much greater interest in it than the poll reflects based on all the people I've had conversations with about this project, as it's now much less functional for a lot of people than originally intended.

To end on a positive note, I did want to say that I love how open you've been to receiving feedback from people on this project all along, and how well you've handled any critical feedback with a very kind and professional tone.  This remains one of my favorite keyboard designs to date, and will probably be the largest board I'll ever buy simply because I love the very unique aesthetics of it.  Due to the loss of dedicated arrow keys, it unfortunately won't likely be in my regular rotation as I had originally intended, but hopefully I'll find some sort of reasonable workaround that won't trip me up or slow down my workflow too much so I can use it fairly often (something that doesn't use layers or that doesn't compromise the numpad layout).  Either way, I'm glad that we have such a creative designer in the hobby like you who is also so open to listening to the potential buyers of your creation, and I'll certainly be watching to see what interesting designs you come up with in the future.

Agree with this 💯 percent.

I'll only just add that I didn't even know there was a Discord channel for it, let alone a poll being done there.  And even if I had known, I think a poll should have been done here on geekhack as well... or why bother even doing a IC here at all?  The whole point of a Interest Check thread is to gauge the interest. Not just merely a classified ad advertisement of the project. 
That being said, all in all, the creator of this project has been nothing but professional from what I've seen here on GH since day one.  I still wish the project luck and success. 

Offline hzh0525

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 06:44:42 »
💯 percent agreed!

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 06:51:03 »
Respect to the designer. Respect to updating the IC.

I too would have voted heavily for arrow keys if notified.

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 06:57:44 »
What I personally wonder is how many people will actually buy now, as the people who say they can do without the arrow keys are normally the people that use smaller keyboards like 65%. I think the main complaint about the current layout is that you have something that is basically a big board, without one of the key features differentiating small boards from big boards.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 11:11:51 »
Still getting it, I like the XT layout.

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #135 on: Thu, 20 April 2023, 17:25:10 »
Hey guysss,

I really am, thanks.

Thank god someone smarter than me said this, because it 100% encapsulates my feelings.

Offline hzh0525

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 14:12:05 »
By any chance, the arrows key will come back again as we still have time?

Offline FitLabb

• FitLabb
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 15 November 2023, 14:34:59 »
Unfortunately it seems that the final decision to remove the arrow keys was made many months ago, and that choice is now solidified as I believe the PCB design and other layout/design details are now finalized and getting ready for the GB to begin sometime in the coming months.  Interestingly enough, as of today the poll on the Hymn Network Discord Server now has the Standard 1800 layout (with dedicated arrow keys) ahead of the WT-AT layout (without arrow keys) with a 1 point lead (82-81).  I fully expected this would happen over time as more people found their way to the Server and found out about the poll, as not many people knew about that poll for the layout when it was active and mattered, especially compared to all the people who knew about this beautiful board.

Are you still planning to buy one?  I'll probably still get one if finances permit, mainly because of the beautiful design and macro capabilities, even if it's not remotely as useable to me without dedicated arrows.
YouTube - FitLabb

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 16 November 2023, 00:44:30 »
I'm 100% getting one, the layout is indifferent to me.

Offline hzh0525

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 16 November 2023, 16:08:20 »
Unfortunately it seems that the final decision to remove the arrow keys was made many months ago, and that choice is now solidified as I believe the PCB design and other layout/design details are now finalized and getting ready for the GB to begin sometime in the coming months.  Interestingly enough, as of today the poll on the Hymn Network Discord Server now has the Standard 1800 layout (with dedicated arrow keys) ahead of the WT-AT layout (without arrow keys) with a 1 point lead (82-81).  I fully expected this would happen over time as more people found their way to the Server and found out about the poll, as not many people knew about that poll for the layout when it was active and mattered, especially compared to all the people who knew about this beautiful board.

Are you still planning to buy one?  I'll probably still get one if finances permit, mainly because of the beautiful design and macro capabilities, even if it's not remotely as useable to me without dedicated arrows.

I totally agree! As a rare creative 100%+ keyboard, I want to say it would be a pity if it cannot also support the standard 1800 layout. Is it possible to design a compatible PCB using two layout json files? People can then choose their preferred layout to flash. By the way, will there be any sound units included, such as valves or buzzers (or both)? I have suggested this feature to be considered a while ago. It would be amazing if it could make some sound and if one of the LEDs on the top-right side would flash while buzzing~

Offline just.hymn

« Reply #140 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 12:28:55 »

I totally agree! As a rare creative 100%+ keyboard, I want to say it would be a pity if it cannot also support the standard 1800 layout. Is it possible to design a compatible PCB using two layout json files? People can then choose their preferred layout to flash. By the way, will there be any sound units included, such as valves or buzzers (or both)? I have suggested this feature to be considered a while ago. It would be amazing if it could make some sound and if one of the LEDs on the top-right side would flash while buzzing~

I'm sorry if I have disappoint a lot of people who are really eager to bring back the arrow keys. The reasons to removed is 1) it's very cluttered, in terms on design and overall visual. 2) By implementing a 1800 layout, Typebox is becoming bigger and thus increase in the pricing and cost. Again I apologized on removing the arrow keys but I do hope at least you can stay with us in this journey and see final progress. :-[

As for buzzers/solenoid/valves, the initial design has solenoid but due to the complexity of Typebox, I regrettably removed it. I want to avoid unnecessary complexity and headaches to me and to you, the end users who will be using this board. I will consider it in the future when I have more experience.

- Hymn -

Offline Beesley

• B-Imaginative
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 10 January 2024, 12:29:40 »
Regardless of the changes I love this board, and definitely want to add it to the collection!

Offline stomaha

« Reply #142 on: Sun, 21 January 2024, 05:20:38 »
I’m in

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 29 January 2024, 18:11:14 »
Keyboard designs are getting really interesting nowadays, compared to what we had 10 years ago :)

This is nice, I would prefer TKL with this angled top but its still ncie.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline just.hymn

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 04 March 2024, 08:51:49 »
I like how the exterior design looks and feels, but it would be nice if you also shared the internal structure of this board.
Also, you might add some engraving such as a logo or name for the bottom case to add some signature

I have completely re-design the overall structure and details. Will update the moment I have reveal the whole design. Right now we're more or less teasing the new designs and some new stuff on Type box. But do stay tune!