Author Topic: Looking for some nice keycaps.  (Read 6591 times)

Offline FerretBuster

Looking for some nice keycaps.
« on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 10:50:15 »
Hey guys, I have been using my filco with cherry browns for a few months now and I have to say I love it. However there is one difficulty, I bought some blank key caps and I keep running in to those odd occasions where you have to use an uncommonly used key and I just can't find it :/.

Although it's a minor inconvenience it would be nice to get some different caps, I have looked at the doubleshots but they look really expensive... Now I want to invest into some nice key caps that won't wear easily as I am a programmer (and therefore do a lot of typing). I haven't had these blanks long and I am already noticing quite a bit of shine on regularly used keys.

The keycaps need to be available in an ISO 105 key layout (the big enter key etc.)

I have a couple of different styles I am interested in, the first being the old school remix sort of style on wasdkeyboards, and also one similar to this http://tweakers.net/ext/f/l955eVgBYnQrgMJzqfeaHqs3/full.png

I guess I would be willing to invest in doubleshots if they last a really long time, but I would rather keep the costs down as much as possible. Also if anyone has any photos on the old school remix style keycaps from wasd or similar it would be awesome if you could post it :D

Thanks!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 17:31:55 »
Right.

First off: are your blanks ABS? If that's the case, then they should be showing wear. If you got PBT blanks (expensive) they woludn't wear that much.

Anyway, Doubleshots are good because they do lose their texture over time as they wear, bet the legend won't come off, as it goes all the way through the plastic. It is possible to wear through a doubleshot, but that usually takes like forever. They do get somewhat shiny with use, though. (If you see pictures of used doubleshots, some keys are often shiny)

Now, you do have a few options:

#1. Looks good and won't wear: get PBT. Dyesublimated PBT will last a really long time without wearing, due to PBT's hardness, and toughness. Evenif you wear though it a little, the legend shouldn't fade, as the ink permeates down into the keycap a ways. This might be too expensive, deending on your budget.

#2. Doubleshots. I know that the Ragnorock set will come with ISO, and it sholud be under $60. The legends will last quite a while, but they will get shiny with use. Also, they are red legends on black, so it might not be your style. This might be your cheapest option for new doubleshots.

#3 used doubleshots. There was a Group buy a while back for $20 used doubleshots. All the keys fit, except the spacebar, and the keys next to it (alt, windows, menu, control). They're thick, and super-classy white legends on black. Looks really sharp. If you're okay with used keycaps, you can find these in the classifides, or on ebay for a little bit more.

If you end up typing a lot, you sholud probably stay away from non-doubleshot ABS, as it will wear down pretty quick.
---

If I were you, I'd grab the "kentucky wildcats keyboard" from unicomp for $59. It comes with keycaps already, and the PBT will atke forever to wear. If you want "real" function keys, or legends that won't scrub off (they have since discontinued their white lettering, for QC issues) get the classic 104 for $79 which will have dyesub'd PBT. There is some evidence that it'd take quite some time to wear through the keycaps, and if you're willing to replace keycaps, cable, etc. the buckling spring mechanism is reported to last roughly 2,000,000,000 keystrokes before it's not worth fixing.

But that's just 'cause I love Buckling spring/unicomp.

I hope this helped some! Have you considered leaving the A-Z keys blank, and having the rest printed? That is likely your best option.

Offline FerretBuster

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 February 2012, 10:44:54 »
Just checked the actuation force of a unicomp and that isn't really an option - as my old g15 fatigued my fingers, so I doubt a buckling spring board will do me much good. However by the sounds of it it's either PBT for lasting a long time or double shots for looks with some longetivity. Correct me if I am wrong, but that seems to be the case from what I have gathered.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 February 2012, 10:59:51 by FerretBuster »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 01:32:04 »
Keep in mind that you don't need to bottom out on a buckling spring like you need to do on a rubber dome. I'm getting pretty good at not bottoming out my unicomp, and it's not fatiguing for me, but it's true that BS is not for everyone.

There exist some other options for keycaps, as POM (delrin) is available for black cherry sets and on the black noppoo choc mini keyboard. I have never tried it, but I imagine it'd last longer than ABS. POM keycaps are often lasered, if I recall correctly, so no idea about how long the legend will last. There are some clear polycarbonate keycaps, but apparently they are pretty rare, as they were made once in china.

I'd check the classifieds if I were you.

Offline FerretBuster

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 24 February 2012, 02:28:22 »
Ok thanks very much :D

Offline Horgath

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 09:50:28 »
Quote from: FerretBuster;521898
I have a couple of different styles I am interested in, the first being the old school remix sort of style on wasdkeyboards, and also one similar to this http://tweakers.net/ext/f/l955eVgBYnQrgMJzqfeaHqs3/full.png

looks really great...is this a custom set of keycaps made on the wasdkeyboards page? the font looks great in that size and Oo....i need that!^^
I´ve also looked for ISO 105 doubleshots but didnt find anything interesting at all :(

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 12:10:21 »
No, those are doubleshot. I didn't take a close look, but they are either SP GB r1, r3 or dolch.

WASDkeyborads only does lasered (Etched or engraved) ABS at the moment.

Offline Horgath

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 12:16:46 »
Ahh okay, thanks for the info :)

Offline polentA

• Formerly withoutrulers
  • GMK plz
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 26 February 2012, 17:47:08 »
What are the best places to order PBT keycaps from?

Offline Ellis

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 07:36:02 »
Quote from: withoutrulers;527283
What are the best places to order PBT keycaps from?
This. I've searched about but I can't find anywhere that seems to sell new PBT keycaps in ISO layout that aren't blanks.

Offline Typhaeon

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 10:40:04 »
Well, Unicomp's PBT keycap sets are probably the most widely available.  Makes me consider getting a new one.  I like Cherries and especially my Topre, but I keep on going back to buckling springs after awhile.

Won't help much with ISO layout, though.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Buttons
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 March 2012, 10:49:54 by Typhaeon »

Offline FerretBuster

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 11:52:46 »
I forgot I made this thread! And I am also still interested in where to get some ISO PBT's from :D

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 12:22:13 »
Gotta love that retro look. ^_^

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 45182[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 45183[/ATTACH] [ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ] 45184[/ATTACH]
Dvorak

Offline Ellis

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 12:26:05 »
Quote from: Playtrumpet;552595
Gotta love that retro look. ^_^

(Attachment Link) 45182[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 45183[/ATTACH] (Attachment Link) 45184[/ATTACH]
US layout :(

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 13:29:28 »
Quote from: Typhaeon;552469
Well, Unicomp's PBT keycap sets are probably the most widely available.  Makes me consider getting a new one.  I like Cherries and especially my Topre, but I keep on going back to buckling springs after awhile.

Won't help much with ISO layout, though.

http://pckeyboard.com/page/category/Buttons
Pretty sure you can get ISO keys and keyboards from unicomp.

Offline FerretBuster

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 13:44:08 »
Quote from: dorkvader;552676
Pretty sure you can get ISO keys and keyboards from unicomp.
But they don't do cherry keys :(

Offline Ellis

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 14:00:58 »
Quote from: FerretBuster;552688
But they don't do cherry keys :(
This, and I can't even find any ISO layout keys on their site anyway.
« Last Edit: Wed, 21 March 2012, 16:47:06 by Ellis »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 21 March 2012, 21:03:20 »
Quote from: Ellis;552699
This, and I can't even find any ISO layout keys on their site anyway.
Y'all need to look hard, because the new website still isn't awesome.
http://pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/CPSET
Notice how it says to provide the language layout.

Also, they sell keyboards in a bunch of different language layouts. Check it out:
http://pckeyboard.com/page/KBDCFG/KBDCFG
---
Alternatively, I would email them, or set up a support ticket.

Offline Ellis

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 02:15:10 »
Quote from: dorkvader;553065
Y'all need to look hard, because the new website still isn't awesome.
http://pckeyboard.com/page/Buttons/CPSET
Notice how it says to provide the language layout.

Also, they sell keyboards in a bunch of different language layouts. Check it out:
http://pckeyboard.com/page/KBDCFG/KBDCFG
---
Alternatively, I would email them, or set up a support ticket.
These are still for BS keyboards though.

Sent from my HTC HD2

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 08:31:21 »
Oh my bad. Someone brought up Unicomp, and I just sort-of continued on that.