Author Topic: Where can I get a hold of keycaps for ALP switches?  (Read 3230 times)

Offline huttala

Where can I get a hold of keycaps for ALP switches?
« on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 10:16:24 »
Hello!

I recently got a hold of an Ducky 1087XM keyboard with green alp switches, I love the keyboard but would love to get some other keycaps for it. I've been searching the net for caps that fit but couldn't find any... Except buying old keyboards and get the caps from them.

So, is there any place that sells caps that fits this keyboard? I'd prefer new caps.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 March 2012, 11:31:17 »
Not much options I don't think. Scavenging from old boards will be cheaper and easier probably. Also you might as well replace the switches with some nicer ones from vintage board while you are at it. Fentek and SP do alps keycaps, but they will probably cost you 2 times more than the keyboard even with their stock blank.

Offline huttala

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 04:24:49 »
Quote from: lysol;553610
Not much options I don't think. Scavenging from old boards will be cheaper and easier probably. Also you might as well replace the switches with some nicer ones from vintage board while you are at it. Fentek and SP do alps keycaps, but they will probably cost you 2 times more than the keyboard even with their stock blank.

I don't want to change the switches from this board, I love em! And as far as I know theres no vintage switch that works like these green clicky alps.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 09:47:11 »
I'd say your bestbet is trying the keycaps from a cheap vintage ALPS 'board from eBay, like NeXt, or a focus, etc.

Offline Grimey

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 March 2012, 13:55:39 »
^^ Going to pretty much repeat this.

I think the spacebar would be the most troubling piece to replace.  I have only owned 3 ALPS style keyboards, but each keyboard had a unique spacebar system.  But I would agree that vintage board would be your best bet to get a different set of caps.  I harvested some keys from a Mac ready keyboard I purchased for cheap to harvest the switches from.
Erlang your pants off