Author Topic: Ortholinear layout with F1-F12 keys, and a Numpad, fits in a 60% case. Feedback?  (Read 4163 times)

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/fab286f4d0ecc8f655645d3421244cd7

Hey everyone.  I designed this layout a while ago, and I've been planning on getting the plate cut as soon as I'm done handwiring my current 40% project.  I'm going to put it in an aluminum GH60 case that I ordered on Massdrop (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/60-keyboard-low-profile-aluminum-case).

Of course, GH60/Poker cases are not compatible with ortholinear layouts, as the screwholes don't line up (some of them end up in the middle of switch holes).  My idea is to grind off the supports/screwholes, and JB-Weld some copper standoffs to the floor of the case.

You can probably tell that the Numpad toggles into a Nav Cluster by pressing the Nav Lock key (i'll probably use a Num Lock keycap).  I'm probably also going to include the Nav Cluster in the FN layer too, so I can access them in a momentary fashion too.  I haven't given any thought into the layout of the FN layer, I'll probably copy the typical Planck layout, with the exception of me not needing number keys.

I'm also considering getting rid of the FN key altogether, and just making the left-spacebar act as a FN-space (using QMK's LT function).

Does anyone have any functionality feedback?  I'd like to hear any creative ideas.

Offline Parva Ovis

Have you considered moving the three right-most columns into the center, to put more space between the two hands? From what I've heard that's supposed to help reduce tension in the wrists and shoulders when typing. It also (IMO) looks more aesthetically pleasing when symmetrical.

Offline yoippari

I like the layout but I think I would miss having regular numbers with their symbols on top. That's the main think keeping me from getting something as small as a plank. Well that and disposable income.

Offline Marvellion

You may want to check XD75. It might give you some ideas.

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

Have you considered moving the three right-most columns into the center, to put more space between the two hands? From what I've heard that's supposed to help reduce tension in the wrists and shoulders when typing. It also (IMO) looks more aesthetically pleasing when symmetrical.

Yes, I've considered it.  I don't really like split layouts that much.  I've spent weeks trying to get used to a Microsoft natural keyboard, and I never got accustomed to it.

I've also tried a Lets Split briefly.  It isn't really for me.

Offline LifeIsOnTheWire

You may want to check XD75. It might give you some ideas.

Yup, I've checked it out.  I'm not a fan of the centre numpad.  They also show off the XD75 with some other layouts.  My layout could work with the XD75 plate, but unfortunately the plate is no good to me, as it is designed to be used with a PCB, and standard GH60 case supports.  I'm not really a fan of the construction style, so I'd rather build my own.

I like the layout but I think I would miss having regular numbers with their symbols on top. That's the main think keeping me from getting something as small as a plank. Well that and disposable income.

I was thinking about the lack of number row, and I don't think I will miss them.  I only ever use them to type in MAC addresses, and Serial numbers (or anything that has a mix of letters and numbers), so they really get almost no use on my keyboard.