Author Topic: Smk alps mount vs blue alps  (Read 5416 times)

Offline CHERRYFAN01

Smk alps mount vs blue alps
« on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 17:39:59 »
I found a smk board on eBay for 52 dollars but also found a alps blue board for 90 dollars.  I can't decide which one to buy.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Smk alps mount vs blue alps
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 17:53:18 »
I really like SMK but blue Alps are much more desirable.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 18:51:42 »
I love both, but I find blue Alps even smoother (SMKs are already very smooth), and I prefer the clicky noise. SMKs are a little lighter in force though, so if you prefer lighter typing, you might like them.

Alps are quite dependent on the condition they're in though. If either are in poor condition or dirty, I'd be tempted to go for the other one.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 20:17:58 »
I currently use an all mx green board, so i prefer heavyness.  I also do alot of gaming.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 03:07:08 »
I have used both for typing as well as gaming, and they're both pretty good for gaming, but if you have MX Greens everywhere, you probably ram on the keys a fair bit. Alps would be more accomodating to that; Monterey switches are rather light and delicate (to the point where they actually turned me into a very light typist for a few weeks xD), whether Alps are a bit chunkier. Again though, with both, and especially the Alps board, be sure to check that the board (and therefore the switches) are in OK condition.

I have a video review on my Monterey Blue as well as my SKCM Blue keyboard, if you're interested.

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 18:14:43 »
Thanks for the info.  And yes I do ram the switches quite a lot and I just feel that greens actually feel quite light.  I have actually broken quite a few laptop keyboards.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 18:24:38 »
Jesus Oo .

Well both are lighter than greens, but of the two, the Alps are the heaviest. Montereys really shouldn't be smashed, that's quite the opposite of what they were intended for xD .

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 22:31:28 »
Then you should buy buckling spring in a Model M or maybe Model F AT. Always some on ebay. Then maybe even beamspring, or some of the other really very old types if those aren't heavy enough. I think you'll like buckling spring more than greens if you're that heavy of a typer. They probably won't break either.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 22:46:13 »
i also play a lot of games, so a model F's weird layout may feel funny.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 22:49:50 »
Just to throw it out the model f 4704 107key is ansi if you mod it or buy one that way.  Play games on mine daily.  Also the 122 keys can be modded to ansi.  Of course if you are willing to do the work or or pay to have it done on one.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline rsadek

• raging keyboard monkey
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 10 May 2015, 23:39:38 »
Thanks for the info.  And yes I do ram the switches quite a lot and I just feel that greens actually feel quite light.  I have actually broken quite a few laptop keyboards.
:eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:
Think of your wrists! Your poor inflamed wrists!
The switch doesn't respond any different the harder you hit it; its on or off !
Maybe you need Hall effect switches which I understand can detect pressure difference, not just on/off.

Either way don't break those poor delicate alps. Send em to me.

In seriousness you may want to put heavier spings in the greens.
❤️Keeboardz
---------------

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 22:23:05 »
there's a cost issue- ibm model fs go for around 300 dollars on ebay.

Offline Sigmoid

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 May 2015, 23:20:54 »
Depends on what kind and what condition it's in. With clever eBaying, you can get an XT for $60, and an AT for $110.

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 May 2015, 19:13:50 »
Why do I want to buy a keyboard for 110 dollars that has the esc key on the numpad, when I can get a much more practical keyboard for 60?

Offline Sigmoid

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 23:56:05 »
Why do I want to buy a keyboard for 110 dollars that has the esc key on the numpad, when I can get a much more practical keyboard for 60?

Okay here's the thing.
1. Take Esc off the numpad and put it on the numbers row.
2. Get an ISO Shift and move tilde next to LShift.
3. Decide what to do with the free key on the numpad.
3. Remap it in Soarer's.

Done. Practical. Generally you're expected to do some customization on a board this old, and they are pretty customizable. And a $60 keyboard won't even come near the tactility of a model F, which has been considered the absolute high water mark of computer keyboards.

By the way. Just dropping this info here in case someone is looking for one of these... There are several F122s up on eBay for less than $150. That's a pretty nice bargain on one of these, even with missing keycaps (yea they are missing a few). I personally dislike overly large keyboards (I prefer not having to move my hands too much while working), but these are beauties in their own right, and deserve to be bought by someone who appreciates them.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-F122-Keyboard-New-SOARERS-Converter-Adapter-ALL-KEYS-TESTED-WORKING-/271863519338
http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-F122-Keyboard-New-SOARERS-Converter-Adapter-ALL-KEYS-TESTED-WORKING-/301624859164
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 May 2015, 00:32:12 by Sigmoid »

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 18:40:26 »
What about IBM model f vs numb hi-trek with black switches?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 18:46:08 »
What about IBM model f vs numb hi-trek with black switches?

Can't go wrong with either of those, feel-wise, but the NMB will get you closer to a "normal" layout.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 19 May 2015, 19:26:32 »
I've owned both SMK Blues and Alps SKCM Blues. I personally like the feel of the SMK switches better although I haven't used them for any considerable amount of time. Greens are quite a bit heavier in my opinion. In my opinion, Blue Alps are NOT worth $90. I've seen them go on eBay for $60 and I sold mine for $65.

Depends on what kind and what condition it's in. With clever eBaying, you can get an XT for $60, and an AT for $110.

Definitely. Got this one today:

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 10:32:10 »
I might be buying the nmb, because the model f's wierd layout will probably be quite troublesome.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 19:02:57 »
because the model f's wierd layout will probably be quite troublesome.

Unless you get the 122-key terminal and do my ANSI mod on it!

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 19:37:12 »
I don't have that much money to spend on a keyboard.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 May 2015, 22:43:43 »
It's more skill (and equipment) than money.

I like the space invaders alot though. They are the reason I never liked my blue cherrys and their non-tactility when I got them and sold that brand new keyboard to a friend after storing it for a couple of years and trying it for a bit from time to time.

Model M's are generally like $30 shipped though. Doesn't need to be an F to get a buckling spring. I suggested buckling spring because it'll handle that sort of force better than cherry does. Also don't believe what people say about not being able to game on them, I've never had a problem with the 2KRO minimum guaranteed key presses.

The genuine tactility of the space invaders or the buckling springs could actually end up tempering how hard you type without you trying or thinking about it.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 17:30:36 »
I have found a model f on eBay for a reasonable price.  Going for the bid.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 17:35:35 »
I have found a model f on eBay for a reasonable price.  Going for the bid.

Make sure you know how to solder because you won't be able to use that with a modern PC.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 17:40:21 »
Make sure you know how to solder because you won't be able to use that with a modern PC.

Or buy one of Orihalcon's excellent cables.

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 23:45:34 »
actually, I lost.  so now its the unicomp 122 key vs the nmb with black hi-tek switches

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 03:46:13 »
Get both.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 08:14:57 »

Or buy one of Orihalcon's excellent cables.

Got a link?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy

Offline CHERRYFAN01

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 20:42:37 »
i can't get both, as my budget is only $100.  which is better for gaming?

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 07 June 2015, 04:24:47 »
I haven't paid more than $30 for space invaders. Orihalcon has some old Lynk branded apparently Lexmark 122 with an adapter for something like 80? On ebay. Maybe less ebay taxes if contacted directly, IDK. I don't think you'll notice a difference for gaming. You might have to clean the space invaders. Technically there are less adapters unless you use a USB adapter for the space invaders so theoretically those might have less lag. But it may not be appreciable in any case.

That's why I said both, because it's personal preference. I like BS and SI. Similar KRO, but really just different feel.