Author Topic: How to reinstall switch stem and spring  (Read 1765 times)

Offline n707jt

How to reinstall switch stem and spring
« on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 09:59:51 »
Hi guys!

I am really new to the mechanical keyboard scene so I was hoping someone can help me out here.

I was trying to remove my ESC keycap when it seems that the entire switch stem and spring popped out together. I can't seem to find a way to install it back. I was wondering if anyone is able to guide me in installing the stem and spring so that my new ESC keycap can take its rightful place. I am using a Rosewill RK9000 V2.

Thanks so much!

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: How to reinstall switch stem and spring
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:04:21 »
Unfortunately that is a soldering job.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:08:36 »
Like absyrd said you'll have to desolder the switch.

Reason: you can't pop the top part of the switch to access the inner parts in a stock keyboard and so put the switch back together.

ps: you're missing the white slider of your mx blue.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:15:33 »
The white slider is still inside the switch housing. Pretty sure this means you need a new switch. And yes, you'll need to desolder the old one to get it out, or even get it apart enough to attempt repair.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Data

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:17:20 »
You'll want to replace the switch top anyway.  That one is pretty damaged.

And since you need to desolder for that, might as well replace the whole switch.  I see the white slider/follower bit down inside the switch there.  Sucks.   :-[

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:22:45 »
Every time I see this happen I feel terrible for the person. If only these companies weren't *******s and did mod friendly plates instead of making you buy new ****.

OP... Are you in RMA window? If not, and you can luckily find someone to do 1 switch for free, are you gonna pay $35 shipping min to get it done??
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:24:55 by absyrd »
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline n707jt

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:39:53 »
The keyboard is still under warranty so I guess I will do an RMA.

Just wondering if they would cover this though.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:40:56 »

They should. Stock key caps?

Offline n707jt

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 10:55:42 »

Yup stock keycaps! I would have thought they would not cover modifications (or attempts...) haha!

Offline maddingo

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:33:48 »
so ... what would have caused something like this to happen in the first place... ???

mostly because I want to avoid doing this if possible... (not at all saying the OP is doing something wrong ..honestly i have no idea) ... I have a wire keycap puller that came with my WASD V1 i have never really had any issues pulling keycaps (don't do it very often myself.) but is there stuff to do or to avoid to help reduce the chance of a failure like this?

or is it just a bad / defective switch that he was just unfortunate enough to end up with on his board?

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 12:51:46 »
The switch tops on Cherry switches are very weak and easily deformed. It would appear that you pulled the slider hard enough to form an opening through which the retaining part of the slider could fit. Even if you could put it back together, the switch would be liable to falling apart. As such, like the others said, a replacement switch would be the best option.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 21 May 2015, 13:22:47 »

Yup stock keycaps! I would have thought they would not cover modifications (or attempts...) haha!

The keycaps are removable. It is a feature of the board. Did it come with a keycap puller? What did you use to pull it?

You can just say you were trying to clean the plate of a booger under the cap. Anything. It just shouldn't happen even with uneven force.

Again, if you can't RMA, you'll be lucky to get away with paying $35-40 shipping (with a nice gesture from someone on GH that solders) to have it fixed.