Author Topic: [IC] Belafonte Terminal - A Life Aquatic Inspired Keyset  (Read 45088 times)

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
[IC] Belafonte Terminal - A Life Aquatic Inspired Keyset
« on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 16:24:22 »
Let me tell you about my keyset.
Current stage: need suggestions!

Updated 8/12/14

I haven't decided if this would be DSA or SA just yet, but I'll put up a poll once I get enough positive feedback here.
This will be an SA keyset to match the time period/theme/style of the movie.

Typeface is Futura Standard book. Colors are based on the Life Aquatic color palette.

I'd also love to make this a back-lit compatible keyset, as I haven't seen many in DSA or SA. (only possible with black keys from SP) Would definitely have options for nautical themed modifiers, text modifiers, and misc. other keys with nautical icons.

Taking all suggestions, feedback, and criticism. Thank you for your time!

Your friend,

Onishima
Dictated, but not read

----------------------------------------------

Additional Mockups:

We call them pirates out here.

----------------------------------------------

Aug 12 Update: Moved icon mods to separate set. I feel like the color scheme could be popular enough with Wes Anderson fans and non fans alike, so keeping text mods on the base set stands to reason. Added a few icon options per YoungMichael88's suggestion. I don't feel too entirely comfortable using icons pulled directly from the movie. Copyright concerns aside, my intention behind this is more of a keyboard you'd find on the Belefonte or Jacqueline Deep Search, rather than a fan keyboard. Something to go nicely with your Zissou Adidas sneakers.

Aug 13 Update: Heard back from SP. Results are as follows:
  • Due to custom fonts/shapes and white legends, this would be pad printed. (double shot would be way too expensive at $45 per key to set up...)
  • Due to copyright laws, explicit logos are a no go (eg, Zissou logo - Might just replace with a big Z on the ESC key) Shapes of marine animals and general boats and submarines are fine.

I've also noticed that the colors are going to match best with ABS colors. My hopes now are that dispute lack of premium features like double-shot and PBT this will be a fun, beautiful and inexpensive keyset.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 July 2019, 16:19:01 by onishima »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [IC] Belafonte Terminal - A Life Aquatic Inspired Keyset
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:04:17 »
Paging YoungMichael88...!

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:30:00 »

Paging YoungMichael88...!
I like the idea but honestly, it's not zissou enough. It needs more to make it clearly life aquatic.

First off, this should be on ESC

You've got the lifesaver ring which fits but I think the seahorse should be replaced with one of the other members symbol on their logo here

I don't know how it would look in a double shot, there might be too much detail but I think this would be an awesome legend as well

Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:44:22 »
Also, this would obviously bring up the price but if you could get the belafonte or even the deep search submarine on the backspace that would be amazing!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 17:51:41 »
So is this going to be pad printed? Lasered?

If it’s double-shot, it’s going to be extremely expensive to make all the new tooling for legends in a new font. If it’s dye-sub, then you can only do darker color legends on lighter-color keycaps.

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 August 2014, 18:18:16 »
So is this going to be pad printed? Lasered?

If it’s double-shot, it’s going to be extremely expensive to make all the new tooling for legends in a new font. If it’s dye-sub, then you can only do darker color legends on lighter-color keycaps.

Hadn't considered that. These will likely be laser etched, but if getting them backlit seems viable I'd consder changing the font to make getting them double-shot is more financially accessible.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 00:25:56 »
I really like the color scheme, but I would only be interested if it is DSA!

Thing is there are soooo many SP GBs that it will be really hard to stick out and even reach the 25 tier :(

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 01:49:46 »
There is a thread in Keyboard Key Caps subforum about Futura font Wes Anderson style keycaps: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61558.0

I suggest you PM jacobulus and design the set together. I don't think we need 2 Wes Anderson sets competing with each other. I think that together you could put together a great set.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 08:03:24 »
This in SA would be very nice.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 08:06:13 »
This in SA please! :D

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 08:21:20 »
This in SA please! :D

Seconded.

I wonder if a multicolored jaguar shark keycap would be possible? Maybe replace the Anchor-Escape Key with a submersible icon?
Also, I love the movie -- but maybe make a kit without the Zissou stuff, in case some people just want the color scheme -- which is quite nice!

EDIT: Maybe make backspace key read: "ESTABAN!"
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 August 2014, 08:26:48 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 10:39:25 »
I love this color scheme. Very playful. One of the reasons I bought into Galaxy as well.
If you collaborate, try to keep the colorway "fun".

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 11:57:59 »
Thank you all for the suggestions. I've added a few things.

I'm going to contact Signature Plastics today about my options, but if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations I'm all ears!

As of today it seems like SA profile and laser etched is the direction we're going, but I've still got a long way to go.

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 12:04:05 »
Awesome set and idea, I really like the colors.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 12 August 2014, 13:32:18 »
You'd be crazy to think that Steve wouldn't have his own logo on the Belefonte keyboard haha!! But I get that some people might not want all that zissou stuff if they just like the color.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 06:47:49 »
You'd be crazy to think that Steve wouldn't have his own logo on the Belefonte keyboard haha!! But I get that some people might not want all that zissou stuff if they just like the color.

"ESTABAN!"

Also, we really need a yellow submersible icon somewhere.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline SL89

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:14:09 »
YES YES YES.

I can't possibly explain how badly i want this.

EDIT:

We need a Jacqueline key with the crosses thru it if at all possible.
with Deep Search as a subtext.

Also +1 for SA. We have had enough DSA kits and this would look really magnificent and period correct with the SA profile!
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:23:54 by SL89 »

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:28:41 »

Love it but not sure where this would go...maybe Jacqueline as a backspace and DEEP SEARCH as Enter?

Offline SL89

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:35:15 »

Love it but not sure where this would go...maybe Jacqueline as a backspace and DEEP SEARCH as Enter?

Either that or a spacebar?

I know my Skull Squad set had 2 lines and it wasnt too huge.

Is there any chance this can be Doubleshot? I know they might have tooling costs for legends if its DS but it would be so worth it, so long as it didnt crank up the price too much.

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:38:09 »
Is there any chance this can be Doubleshot? I know they might have tooling costs for legends if its DS but it would be so worth it, so long as it didnt crank up the price too much.

Double shot is the ideal, but I'm not sure yet. Waiting to hear back from Signature Plastics.

Offline SL89

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 13:42:33 »

Double shot is the ideal, but I'm not sure yet. Waiting to hear back from Signature Plastics.

That is good to hear. Also do you have a ABS or PBT color sample ring? The palette is so good but soooo specific and i wasnt sure if they had swatches to match.

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 14:27:44 »

That is good to hear. Also do you have a ABS or PBT color sample ring? The palette is so good but soooo specific and i wasnt sure if they had swatches to match.

That's something else I'm waiting to hear back from them on. Seems as though it's going to have to be ABS due to color availability on PBT but we shall see.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 August 2014, 14:38:25 »
What sort of a Life Aquatic set would this be without a submersible keycap?

STEVE: "THE SHARK ATE HIM!"
ASSISTANT: "Is he dead?"
More

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
Now that I know pad printing is the only option for white legends here, dare I...?

I really liked the white, but I know pad printing isn't ideal. Thoughts?

EDIT: OR do I go with white double shot and get standard legends?
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 August 2014, 15:32:59 by onishima »

Offline taylordcraig

We talking dyesub? Could be cool. Are we advanced enough for SA PBT? >.>

Offline Eszett

• Supporting the communities Geekhack & Deskthority
AFAIK for white legends the keycap color must be darker than that on your demo-pics anways. Because contrast will be way lower when printed than on digital images.

Offline mtl

Great idea.. This set is going to be great. SA please. Needs a red cap key cap and speedo.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 August 2014, 20:56:24 by mtl »
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline SL89

7bits Round 4 has Blue with White legends, but id have to assume because it is a default font and they already have the tooling and this is futura and would require all custom legends :/

Offline sakai4eva

Er... At least dye-sub?

Also, as usual, I really suggest that you start the base set with alphas and move up to include

1. 60% kit
2. TKL kit
3. WKL kit (and 1.75 shift and control)
4. Numpad kit
5. Ergodox kit

before adding the rest so that users with smaller keyboards don't waste keys.

Offline taylordcraig

We would have to dye sub [meaning darker legends] if we wanted Futura.
Otherwise it's $45 per character [I believe]

We could double shot white in a regular font [wyse i think is our only real option, not positive]

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
Er... At least dye-sub?

Also, as usual, I really suggest that you start the base set with alphas and move up to include

1. 60% kit
2. TKL kit
4. Numpad kit
5. Ergodox kit

Definitely - just wanted to get a good idea of interest before I went through all of that. I'll likely mock those up this weekend.

We could double shot white in a regular font [wyse i think is our only real option, not positive]

You're right - $45 a character for setting up a new legend with double shot. They CAN do pad-printing for white legends though...but I'd likely want to poll and get opinions on that. I'm not opposed but I think a few would be. Could be wrong though.

Offline sakai4eva

Er... At least dye-sub?

1. 60% kit
2. TKL kit
4. Numpad kit
5. Ergodox kit

Definitely - just wanted to get a good idea of interest before I went through all of that. I'll likely mock those up this weekend.

You're right - $45 a character for setting up a new legend with double shot. They CAN do pad-printing for white legends though...but I'd likely want to poll and get opinions on that. I'm not opposed but I think a few would be. Could be wrong though.

Anything in SA gets my vote, although I really don't want pad-printed. I really want to repeat this: doubleshot or dye-sub only.

Offline taylordcraig

I mirror Saika's sentiments. No pad printing please. I have a hard enough time buying ABS; pad printing would kill it for me.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
For SA SP can not do dye sub, so only double shot or pad printing.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline sakai4eva

Oh wells. DS or bust. I have to say that I will NOT support anything but DS/dye-sub at this point.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
Yep, pad printing does not last .... and it's not a good option for an expensive set, is good for cheap rubberdomes.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline aj-kun

**** year I want this!

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere
Yep, pad printing does not last .... and it's not a good option for an expensive set, is good for cheap rubberdomes.

Oh wells. DS or bust. I have to say that I will NOT support anything but DS/dye-sub at this point.

What about engrave/fill? SP told me that they'd put this at the bottom of their options due to quality and price, but it seems like the only other option before I cave and make this a set with either standard fonts or do black dye-sub.

Offline SL89

What about engrave/fill? SP told me that they'd put this at the bottom of their options due to quality and price, but it seems like the only other option before I cave and make this a set with either standard fonts or do black dye-sub.

I thought there was no dyesub on SA at this time :/

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
I know everyone's set on SA rightnow, but if this were DSA dye sub with the dark legends I would buy it.  Double shot white with standard font might do it for me, but I like the appeal of this font.  I am not attached to SA, but I understand if some people are.

Offline SL89

I know everyone's set on SA rightnow, but if this were DSA dye sub with the dark legends I would buy it.  Double shot white with standard font might do it for me, but I like the appeal of this font.  I am not attached to SA, but I understand if some people are.

SA would be so nice, as would DSA. But i'd even go DCS if it meant Futura in White to bring down costs.

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere

I'm waiting on hearing back from SP on that for sure, but UNLESS engrave/fill is an option it seems like I can either:

• SA Profile, standard white double shot legends (meaning no Futura. I could get over this. maybe a few custom icons, but expensive)
  • DSA Profile, custom Futura black dye-sub legends (Futura and custom legends possible, but DSA seems less popular and Black doesn't look as good

SA would be so nice, as would DSA. But i'd even go DCS if it meant Futura in White to bring down costs.

Just to be clear, I'm pretty sure Futura in white isn't happening due to cost.

Seems like a poll is in order...I'll get one going shortly.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 August 2014, 10:53:32 by onishima »

Offline taylordcraig

I'm waiting on hearing back from SP on that for sure, but UNLESS engrave/fill is an option it seems like I can either:

• SA Profile, standard white double shot legends (meaning no Futura. I could get over this. maybe a few custom icons, but expensive)
  • DSA Profile, custom Futura black dye-sub legends (Futura and custom legends possible, but DSA seems less popular and Black doesn't look as good

I'd like to hear more about the engrave/fill option.

Honestly I have Penumbra SA sitting in front of me and the legends don't look much different from your mockup.
My vote is DoubleShot in standard font, and to get a few custom icon/legends made @$45 a pop.
[I'd be willing to soak the cost of one of these so long as it's considered "my" mould that requires my permission to use in future buys, but I'm not sure the rules/cost on that.]

Offline onishima

• supra omnia ludere

I'd like to hear more about the engrave/fill option.

Honestly I have Penumbra SA sitting in front of me and the legends don't look much different from your mockup.
My vote is DoubleShot in standard font, and to get a few custom icon/legends made @$45 a pop.
[I'd be willing to soak the cost of one of these so long as it's considered "my" mould that requires my permission to use in future buys, but I'm not sure the rules/cost on that.]

From Melissa at SP:
"From my experience, the individuals that buy the keycaps offered in group buys, would not be happy with the quality of the engrave/fill method."

I'll take her word for it.

Offline taylordcraig

Fair enough, she would know best.
Honestly I'd scratch pad-printing for any set that's gonna cost around $100.
DS those legends and let's talk about those icons!

Offline SlotH42

• one slow step for sloth
I would be so happy to see something like this happen! This is one of my favorite movies, If only i could get a pair of those damn Adidas.
MP-GBL4 (red) Poker II (clears) Realforce R2TL 55g

Offline mtl

Took a crack at a deep search legend SVG. It's probably too detailed to be double-shot but we can work on it.74680-0
MX13 SpaceSaver | Phantom | Tactoblack Filco -10 | Realforce 103U-UW | Variable Clicky Deck 82 | Deck Legend

Offline SL89

Any word Onishima?

Offline myrddin

Pad printing is a worse option than engrave/fill :P

Doubleshot is better even if you don't get your preferred font imo :)

Offline taylordcraig

I'm with hoff. Dyesub dsa with darker legends could look nice.

Pulse is getting Cherry replica legends.
Wait a few months and make more legends? :D

edit: Just wanted to say I LOVE enter and space being different from the rest of the mods