Author Topic: Need new Keyboards  (Read 3730 times)

Offline mariusmssj

Need new Keyboards
« on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 02:47:32 »
Hello guys,

I know you must get a lot of new post of people asking what keyboard to get, sorry doing exact same thing.

I plan to get 2 mechanical keyboards with (UK ISO Layout):
- 1st one for Home use(Gaming, typing, general stuff)
- 2nd one for work, Starting my PhD next month (So A LOT of typing, word documents ect.)

For home use I want to get a tenkeyless keyboard as full size keyboards are bit too big for my desk, they sit too much to the left and I have to turn my back to type, a normal tenkeyless keyboard as i looked should fit bang on in the middle next to my mouse mat.
For this I have already bought a Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (Cherry MX Brown) mechanical keyboard from scan.co.uk BUT they are out of stock and the next stock is due "Item due on 28 September 2012" so now I am not sure if I should wait for it or buy something similar for the same price??? Because I can get the same keyboard with Cherry MX Red switches!

For work I want to get a Filco keyboard also with MX Brown switches, there seems to be so many different versions of them and I know what's what. Could anyone give me some advice??

Thank you guys :) 
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 August 2012, 02:58:44 by mariusmssj »
CM Storm QuickFire Pro [MX RED]

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Re: Need new Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 03:25:48 »
Have a look at keyboardco.Com

I've got a filco tkl with blue switched and I'm very happy with it.

The only way to find out what switches you like is to try as many as you can, so if you are turning into one of us, you might want to consider the next purchase each time...

Have you looked at the Kinesis advantage yet?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 03:32:30 »
Yes i have seen Kinesis advantage but it seems like it would take a lot of time to get used to it.

for my home use keyboard I got two options now wait a month and a half for
Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX Browns)

Or get

Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (MX reds ) tomorrow.

My main use will be Gaming, bit of typing, general stuff. Any suggestions/advice?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 09:33:34 »
I have the QF with Reds, and it is an excellent gaming board. I'd just get that one now. I also have the Filco MJ2 w/ Browns, and used it at work for a long time before bringing my RF 45g to replace it. It's an excellent all day typing board.

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 14:05:08 »
Thank you daerid i called scan to swap my brown with red version and i shall be getting it tomorrow.

Now there so many different versions of Filco keyboards but from what i saw they are not much different in spec:
Code: [Select]
Full Size Keyboard
Majestouch 2 Camouflage
FKBN104M/EMU2
FKBN104ML/EMU2
FKBN104MC/EMU2
Majestouch NINJA
NEW!!FKBN104MRL/EFB2
FKBN104M/EFB2
FKBN104ML/EFB2
FKBN104MC/EFB2
Majestouch 2
NEW!!FKBN104MRL/EB2
FKBN104M/EB2
FKBN104ML/EB2
FKBN104MC/EB2
Original Model
Majestouch 2 Yellow keycap version
Majestouch 2 AI

But apart looks they don't seem to have any unique features over each other or am i wrong? Well for my PhD I will need something for a lot of typing and document writing.
And i was thinning of getting Majestouch NINJA or Majestouch 2, but i am not sure what's the different between them apart key cap printing???

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 14:07:13 »
That's the only difference. I suppose the box and the sticker would reflect the version too.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 14:11:13 »
I see, so would this be a good buy?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 14:11:49 »
The only differences between Filco Keyboards these days are:

• Keycap printing style (normal/Ninja)
  • Switch Type: Linear/Black, Click/Blue, Tactile/Brown, Soft Linear/Red
  • Color (White/Black)
  • Size (104 key/87 key)

The differences in model number just reflect those various combinations.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 August 2012, 15:38:50 »
I have a CMstorm in reds, and it's great for gaming.

About the Kinesis, if you touch type pretty close to properly, it should take you only a short time to get used to it, less than about a week or so (based on reading other's experiences: I don't touch type right, so when I used it, it was difficult for me). I wouldn't let that get in the way of you getting one.

For typing, you could get a CMstorm in blues. I had one for a while, and it was great for typing. Another excellent (the best in my mind) choice is the Unicomp buckling spring keyboard. I absolutely love mine for typing and everyday use. The keycaps on my unicomp are particularly nice.

QF rapid in red / Unicomp combo would be a great first setup.

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 10:55:53 »
Hey guys i seem to have an issue, it seems that their don't have any stock of Cooler Master Quick Fire Rapid (red) so they sent me
CM Storm QuickFire Pro SGK-4010-GKCR1-UK - Cherry RED Mechanical Gaming Keyboard

It seems that will not have any i stock until September 28th and it seems no on in UK is yet selling Quick Fire Rapid (red), so should i return the rapid pro and wait a month and a bit or keep it?

[edit] decided to keep it :D it's a really nice keyboard
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 August 2012, 12:38:56 by mariusmssj »

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 12:38:23 »
I have a CMstorm in reds, and it's great for gaming.

About the Kinesis, if you touch type pretty close to properly, it should take you only a short time to get used to it, less than about a week or so (based on reading other's experiences: I don't touch type right, so when I used it, it was difficult for me). I wouldn't let that get in the way of you getting one.

For typing, you could get a CMstorm in blues. I had one for a while, and it was great for typing. Another excellent (the best in my mind) choice is the Unicomp buckling spring keyboard. I absolutely love mine for typing and everyday use. The keycaps on my unicomp are particularly nice.

QF rapid in red / Unicomp combo would be a great first setup.

I thought about that too, but ads i plan to share the office with other people, i think blues are going to annoy everyone around me.

and has anyone ever used the O rings to dampen the sound of bottoming out the keys?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 August 2012, 20:10:38 »
O-rings are fairly popular. I have read that having them under your cherry blues is especially nice, though I haven't tried it yet, myself. The best option is, of course, to not bottom out. :)

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 02:11:29 »
O-rings are fairly popular. I have read that having them under your cherry blues is especially nice, though I haven't tried it yet, myself. The best option is, of course, to not bottom out. :)

Well after a day of use i must say I am in love with my mechanical keyboard, i really wouldn't want to back to rubber one at all! And you barely have to touch it and it just works, and I can hit as many keys as I want and they will all be registered. This is great.

I really want to try out all the switches and see how they feel.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 05:35:37 »
Welcome to your wallet hating you...I'm about to but resisting buying a Filco Ninja mx brown :(
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 07:19:33 »
Welcome to your wallet hating you...I'm about to but resisting buying a Filco Ninja mx brown :(

That's what i plan to get for work, if you decide and get it let me know how it is :D

Offline stingrae

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 16 August 2012, 09:33:05 »
I had it once before, I let it go because I felt guilty for spending that much on a keyboard :(

It was from what I remember an absolutely awesome board and keyboardco was prompt with everything, although since I now type colemak...lettering on keys seems useless unless im letting someone else type something :|.

Just debating with myself as to whether or not to go extreme and get something like a kinesis or realforce board, probably not though will probably end up with some pbt keycaps from qtan and shift the ninja caps to my qfr (since the stock keycaps are awful).

I liked the ninja caps alot the side printing is very pleasant to the eyes of everyone else who can't touch type...

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 18 August 2012, 11:26:11 »
I had it once before, I let it go because I felt guilty for spending that much on a keyboard :(

It was from what I remember an absolutely awesome board and keyboardco was prompt with everything, although since I now type colemak...lettering on keys seems useless unless im letting someone else type something :|.

Just debating with myself as to whether or not to go extreme and get something like a kinesis or realforce board, probably not though will probably end up with some pbt keycaps from qtan and shift the ninja caps to my qfr (since the stock keycaps are awful).

I liked the ninja caps alot the side printing is very pleasant to the eyes of everyone else who can't touch type...

Ohhh i see, well it does cost a lot but from what I hear it's worth the money.

Btw i was told to come to geekhack if I wanted to get test key switches. I was told it's possible to buy switch keyring or something? Does anyone know where to find this? because I do want to see what each switch feels likes without buying a full keyboard.

Thank you

[edit] i think they meant this:
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 August 2012, 11:27:51 by mariusmssj »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 12:03:26 »
The realforce (Topre) keychain is actually really rare and expensive, so I wouldn't recommend you try that.

Here, perhaps your best bet is to sign up for one of the cherry switch tester tours. Alternatively, you can get cherry MX keychains from keyboardstory[1] or Qtan[2].

There are other options as well, there might be some of Mrinterface's switch try bag's on DT[3].
---
When checking my sources for this post, Qtan appears to be out, and I didn't see then up on keyboardstory (I imagine they'll probably be up later). Maybe post in their subforum here on GH[4] or PM sherryton directly?

[1] http://www.keyboardstory.com/
[2] http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments
[3] http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/introducing-the-mrinterface-switch-sample-bag-t3189.html
[4] http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34633.0

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 14:53:53 »
The realforce (Topre) keychain is actually really rare and expensive, so I wouldn't recommend you try that.

Here, perhaps your best bet is to sign up for one of the cherry switch tester tours. Alternatively, you can get cherry MX keychains from keyboardstory[1] or Qtan[2].

There are other options as well, there might be some of Mrinterface's switch try bag's on DT[3].
---
When checking my sources for this post, Qtan appears to be out, and I didn't see then up on keyboardstory (I imagine they'll probably be up later). Maybe post in their subforum here on GH[4] or PM sherryton directly?

[1] http://www.keyboardstory.com/
[2] http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments
[3] http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/introducing-the-mrinterface-switch-sample-bag-t3189.html
[4] http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34633.0

Thank you :D

Offline Okita

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 18:07:38 »
You'd be wise not to use blues at work ;-)

Offline nala

• sup son ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 August 2012, 18:39:45 »
I'd personally pick something with browns for work. Filcos are great quality but can be expensive.

For gaming I'd pick something with blacks. Depends on the type of games you play. I heard people say blacks are best for FPS, and blues for RTS. I don't really know about that but I can assure you both get the job done.

Blues are my favorite, but they can piss roommates/co-workers quite easily. *CLACK CLACK CLACK*
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 August 2012, 18:42:37 by nala »
Collection: Filco Majestouch-2 TKL ~ Filco Majestouch-2 TKLRazer BlackWidowUltimate

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 01:27:28 »
@Okita oh yeah that would drive others nuts xD

@nala well is there is any other brands that would have a very hight quality but possibly be a bit cheaper than Filco?
And i found red's really nice, while blacks need more force to push them down but i am happy with my linear switches for gaming :)

Offline stingrae

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 02:49:25 »
CM storm quick fire rapid is comparable quallity to tenkeyless filcos (brown UK layout eventually will be in stock at Scan, love scan hate their delivery company) and Das is comparable to fullsize.

Next would be the not so sures: Keycool 87(spacebar hard to replace but detatchable cable) and HPE 87(easy to replace spacebar but no detachable cable) both seem to be solid choices. Then you have boards like Noppoo choc mini and keycool84 which are less well built but still not bad.

Not mentioning leopold or rosewill since you are uk based :P

Offline mariusmssj

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 12:29:26 »
CM storm quick fire rapid is comparable quallity to tenkeyless filcos (brown UK layout eventually will be in stock at Scan, love scan hate their delivery company) and Das is comparable to fullsize.

Next would be the not so sures: Keycool 87(spacebar hard to replace but detatchable cable) and HPE 87(easy to replace spacebar but no detachable cable) both seem to be solid choices. Then you have boards like Noppoo choc mini and keycool84 which are less well built but still not bad.

Not mentioning leopold or rosewill since you are uk based :P
I am not sure if this true but i have heard multiple times that filco tenkeyless and cmstorm rapid is made in same factory or same eom i can't remember which one now.

Offline stingrae

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 August 2012, 13:32:25 »
Yeah it's true so are Das and WASD which is why I said comparable :p was clearly tired when writing that though :s

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 09:20:56 »
I am not sure if this true but i have heard multiple times that filco tenkeyless and cmstorm rapid is made in same factory or same eom i can't remember which one now.
Both keyboards were made by costar as the OEM. There are some differences: mainly the keyboard standoff is shifted over on the CMstorm to make way for the USB connector.