Poll

Let's vote on an option...

Option 1
Option 2
Option 3

Author Topic: [IC] SA Berserk by Maxkey - Intl. GB active!  (Read 74507 times)

Offline Jedi

Re: [IC] SA Berserk [Unit 02/Flash/Iron Man inspired Keyset]
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 16 July 2017, 20:35:01 »
I will be honest I am on the fence about MaxKeys, yes the production pictures are looking good for previous sets, but the legends do need work.  Definitely want to see updates to the work performed on the legends as your set is a definite buy.  I agree waiting on Signature Plastics to catch up is not likely to happen before this group buy starts, but definitely want the quality especially for a graphic artist like Thesiscamper that has done so much for the community in terms of excellent graphic renders.  Please do share any new updates you get as rushing this set ahead of quality corrections feels unnecessary to me.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
Re: [IC] SA Berserk [Unit 02/Flash/Iron Man inspired Keyset]
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 01:54:55 »
Let me know when you do a set for the real best girl  ;)

All in good time :)

I hope more yellow in novelties

It's mostly done but I'll look into this, since I have to finish the other novelties for the superheroes too.

I will be honest I am on the fence about MaxKeys, yes the production pictures are looking good for previous sets, but the legends do need work.  Definitely want to see updates to the work performed on the legends as your set is a definite buy.  I agree waiting on Signature Plastics to catch up is not likely to happen before this group buy starts, but definitely want the quality especially for a graphic artist like Thesiscamper that has done so much for the community in terms of excellent graphic renders.  Please do share any new updates you get as rushing this set ahead of quality corrections feels unnecessary to me.

I doubt all the corrections will be done before this set's production, but I'll ask them if they can do the F1 correction because that's the thing that kinda bothers me.

By the way guys, POLL IS UP. FYI the Pantone codes look a lot different in the guide than in my monitor, and I'll have to check it again from another source. 188C is definitely too dark in the swatch I checked.

"haters are confused admirers"

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: [IC] SA Berserk - POLL IS UP [Unit 02/Flash/Iron Man inspired Keyset]
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 08:30:26 »
F1 is the worst. I think they have molds for correct shift. Back space doesn't bother me much. I usually don't use it. The biggest benefit to SP though is the gross finish, which just makes the profile pop a lot more than the more matte finish on maxkeys. But the cost and time difference is a huge plus, assuming maxkeys isn't charging more and causing end prices to bump to $100 like a few recent buys. $80 is a lot nicer considering you can get amazing compatibility for $110 with gmk.
keyboards.

Offline Seelen

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 09:30:32 »
Not sure how I feel about this set yet. It's going to be a tough one to get right, especially after the McDonald's prototypes!!

I'm not sure if you're staying away from it so you can keep the set's theme more flexible (ie Eva/Ironman), but a brighter red and a splash of green would go a long way towards making this look like Unit 02.

I don't think the colors you're using now remind me of unit 02 or asuka...to be fair, I haven't seen the Rebuild of Eva yet, and maybe you're not basing it off the original, in which case, why not?

At the least, the old NERV logo is worlds Better. I know HolyOOPS etc have done the old logo, but I still think it's the best one.

Anyways, yeah... gonna be a tough set to get right, but you've taken some really good steps. If it were me, I'd probably try adding in a little green and orange, brighten the red, see what happens? I mean, this is an SA set, which means it's going to be super glossy...a nice bright glossy Hellrot would go a long way towards both making a stunning set that stands out (the way Asuka is meant to)

This is a fantastic concept though... Asuka has been my wallpapers at work forever. The vibrancy of the red and green, plus her orange hair, is what brings me back to those wallpapers every single time. I can't help but feel it might do the same here.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 18:39:27 »
Not sure how I feel about this set yet. It's going to be a tough one to get right, especially after the McDonald's prototypes!!

I'm not sure if you're staying away from it so you can keep the set's theme more flexible (ie Eva/Ironman), but a brighter red and a splash of green would go a long way towards making this look like Unit 02.

I don't think the colors you're using now remind me of unit 02 or asuka...to be fair, I haven't seen the Rebuild of Eva yet, and maybe you're not basing it off the original, in which case, why not?

At the least, the old NERV logo is worlds Better. I know HolyOOPS etc have done the old logo, but I still think it's the best one.

Anyways, yeah... gonna be a tough set to get right, but you've taken some really good steps. If it were me, I'd probably try adding in a little green and orange, brighten the red, see what happens? I mean, this is an SA set, which means it's going to be super glossy...a nice bright glossy Hellrot would go a long way towards both making a stunning set that stands out (the way Asuka is meant to)

This is a fantastic concept though... Asuka has been my wallpapers at work forever. The vibrancy of the red and green, plus her orange hair, is what brings me back to those wallpapers every single time. I can't help but feel it might do the same here.

The green might work but it's best to keep it simple and not add literally every color. I'll look into it.

Offline hormbre

• I am not played by keycaps = =!
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 19:41:13 »
Vote for: option 3

Reason: The color of bright red is amazing, and will definitely inherits the style of the previous TM, which is charming and coquettish. ;)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 17 July 2017, 21:07:38 »

Reason: The color of bright red is amazing, and will definitely inherits the style of the previous TM, which is charming and coquettish. ;)

That's how I voted too. The maroon just makes me think of football for some reason lol. I think the bright red is the only one that really works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 05:11:43 »
Option 1 for me it is

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 16:04:23 »
cant believe I havnt seen this before. Really liking the darker red color , voted option 1 because I was drawn to the yellow more, but until we see actual photos I think itll be very hard to tell how nice that yellow actually looks with the red.  Also I voted option 1 but it would be nice to still have the red on yellow accent keys that option 2 shows.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 18 July 2017, 18:27:32 »
Option 1 for me it is

That's how I voted too. The maroon just makes me think of football for some reason lol. I think the bright red is the only one that really works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cant believe I havnt seen this before. Really liking the darker red color , voted option 1 because I was drawn to the yellow more, but until we see actual photos I think itll be very hard to tell how nice that yellow actually looks with the red.  Also I voted option 1 but it would be nice to still have the red on yellow accent keys that option 2 shows.

Thank you for participating! I'll be updating the color codes but will keep the option the same (darker vs brighter red). Also yes, the plan is to do the yellow accents for Option 1 if people prefer it.

Offline pvd

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 20 July 2017, 20:53:39 »
I strongly preferred the red and orange of past renders that were more true to Unit 02.

I don't get how people can say that red and orange looks like McDonalds when the McDonalds colors are red and yellow.

Ideally I personally would have wanted white on bright red alphas, and bright red on orange modifiers.

Offline harlw

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 22 July 2017, 22:47:40 »
Those yellow mods! Good job on this camper

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 24 July 2017, 06:37:49 »
I strongly preferred the red and orange of past renders that were more true to Unit 02.

I don't get how people can say that red and orange looks like McDonalds when the McDonalds colors are red and yellow.

Ideally I personally would have wanted white on bright red alphas, and bright red on orange modifiers.

I think the white mods are a happy compromise.

Those yellow mods! Good job on this camper

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

Here's an updated render. As I've said the Pantone codes look too different in person, and it's either the calibration of my monitor or the other render engine I use. I'm trying to make it look as close as possible to the front-running option (Option 1). The current Pantone code is 7622C.

« Last Edit: Mon, 24 July 2017, 07:42:43 by thesiscamper »

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 06:41:22 »
This is the latest mock-up, and it's soft-locked unless there are serious issues with the layout. The red will be the same as the accent in Maxkey's Ashen, the yellow will hopefully be close to SP's YBP.

Maxkey told me the keys fixed are backspace, shift, changed ESCAPE to ESC, DELETE to DEL, and some other details (probably the kerning on ALT, etc).

I've also asked them to include their usual Cherry and Lotus key novelties.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 August 2017, 06:45:11 by thesiscamper »

Offline lovetree

« Reply #114 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 06:56:16 »
This is the latest mock-up, and it's soft-locked unless there are serious issues with the layout. The red will be the same as the accent in Maxkey's Ashen, the yellow will hopefully be close to SP's YBP.

Show Image

Maxkey told me the keys fixed are backspace, shift, changed ESCAPE to ESC, DELETE to DEL, and some other details (probably the kerning on ALT, etc).

Are all novelties R3?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 07:14:51 »

Show Image

Are all novelties R3?

Most of them, except the ones beside ESC.

Offline lovetree

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 09:28:34 »

Show Image

Are all novelties R3?

Thank you for reply.
I just wanted to know which keys could be alternative for 1u bottom win keys because I am definitely in this set when it comes GB. :)

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 09:50:26 »
I'd like to see the "Enter" and " /| " key above it to both be offered in white. I can't be the only one who likes to have all the mod keys the same color so it's uniform on both sides mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rioc

• Very Text - 键盘上瘾 ____rioc industries ink.
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 10:02:01 »
why people not vote for option 3? The red is more accurate than the other imo... also, option 1 yellow legends on red are kinda gnarly, not?

still gonna be in, 'cause EVA! ;)

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 11:07:03 »

Show Image

Are all novelties R3?

Thank you for reply.
I just wanted to know which keys could be alternative for 1u bottom win keys because I am definitely in this set when it comes GB. :)

Thank you for the support, Maxkey's novelties are apparently more cost effective by 10x1u, in that less than 10 novelties are the same price as 10. I had more 1u novelties initially, but with the current kit I'll need to add 8x1u novelties which I believe is too much already.

I'd like to see the "Enter" and " /| " key above it to both be offered in white. I can't be the only one who likes to have all the mod keys the same color so it's uniform on both sides mostly.

I'll think about this, but to add these caps means I'll have to add the white tilde too and it all adds up.

why people not vote for option 3? The red is more accurate than the other imo... also, option 1 yellow legends on red are kinda gnarly, not?

still gonna be in, 'cause EVA! ;)

Thank you! Yellow alpha legends are more popular it seems, even in the small poll they did in China.

PSA: You can check the SA Lime thread (https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=89839.msg2471224#msg2471224) to see which legends have been fixed, even SP took years to fix theirs and they wouldn't have fixed the "SHIF T" anyway without 7bit IIRC.

Offline ullr

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 23:03:20 »
I think this latest mockup looks great

A damn shame there’s zero compatibility with anything more exotic than WKL ANSI

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 23:16:31 »

Well there's also 65 and 75 compatibility :D

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 01:46:13 »

You are not the only one. I would buy the set if it comes with white enter keys, as shown in the mock-up we voted on. I personally don't like the yellow ones.
Silent RF 87u / CM Novatouch / Leopold FC660c

Offline rioc

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 03:13:50 »

yeah... at least the basic 4 ISO keys for ISO compat would be nice... and shouldn't be too difficult for maxkeys to realize. idk...

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #124 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 03:29:10 »

yeah... at least the basic 4 ISO keys for ISO compat would be nice... and shouldn't be too difficult for maxkeys to realize. idk...
Molds are expensive, and since their target market is mainly China I guess ISO support isn't a priority. I will ask if they're considering to make it soon, or perhaps jchan knows more.

Offline simonyunhe

« Reply #125 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 04:00:43 »
White “~、|、enter、return” are needed!
KeyBs:|RS96-Brown|GS-87-White|DIYer60-Red|VA68M-Brown|GS-ALT71-Blue|IKBC-108-Black|
KeyCs:|SA Carbon R1+2|SA Camping|SA Amazing Chocolatier|SA Commando 88 Ghost|SA Hyperfuse|SA Penumbra|SA Doom|SA Creamy Orange|SA Ocean Dolch|SA Lotus*72|SA Trouble Minds R2|DSA Granite|GMK TA|GMK Soware|XDA Mailstone|GM Ember|

Offline rioc

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 04:03:40 »
just noticed it, but what's with the nerv logo for esc cap? text is weird

Offline ocnis

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 04:42:16 »

There's actually no text on it. It's based on the Rebuild 3.0 logo

Offline rioc

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 04:50:05 »

There's actually no text on it. It's based on the Rebuild 3.0 logo

ah... haven't gotten around to watch those yet... I said I'd wait for 4.0, but that was ages ago...  :-\

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 08:39:42 »

The rep explained why it isn't cost effective, and I'll have to defer to their knowledge.

It's from the Troubled Minds set, and the "text" is vaguely "GH".

FYI: The last time I discussed this with the rep, he said they'll be making 500 sets, so as far as I know it's not the usual group buy where people join and the total number of orders is the total number of sets made.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 12:50:04 »

The rep explained why it isn't cost effective, and I'll have to defer to their knowledge.

FYI: The last time I discussed this with the rep, he said they'll be making 500 sets, so as far as I know it's not the usual group buy where people join and the total number of orders is the total number of sets made.

Personally if it's a choice between their house made novelty keys (the flower one and the other ones) or the white enter , "/|" I'd prefer to drop the house made novelties to have the money go towards the other white keys mentioned.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #131 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 21:56:33 »

Personally if it's a choice between their house made novelty keys (the flower one and the other ones) or the white enter , "/|" I'd prefer to drop the house made novelties to have the money go towards the other white keys mentioned.

So this is how they make their caps. Their molds are for around 30 caps, and they grouped the alphas and modifiers. They did this to be cost-effective. If we're going to include that reverse color for |\ and ~` they'll be using a mold for 30 caps to make just two caps, and the rest will be a waste (the other alpha keys with inverted colors).

Offline ullr

« Reply #132 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 22:18:57 »
Man it sure is a shame that this had to be made with Maxkeys when SP is so much more flexible.

I would have loved to see this go absolutely crazy with purple, black, and orange keys and supporting every layout under the sun.

Oh well, better than nothing I guess. But a John Greenleaf Whittier quotation is coming to mind...

Offline bciamny

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 08 August 2017, 22:51:06 »
i'm just here to register my great love for this set. again.

happy to see it moving forward :D

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 00:31:19 »
For those who are wondering why the inverted color for ~` and |\ is a waste but the accent colors are not, I'm also waiting for an explanation for that.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 00:34:31 »
For those who are wondering why the inverted color for ~` and |\ is a waste but the accent colors are not, I'm also waiting for an explanation for that.

The accent keys are part of the novelty mold, which is like R1 1u, R3 2.25u, R3 1.25u and arrow keys lumped in one mold, so the waste here is much smaller than one of the bigger alpha/mod molds.

Offline Mrs. Butter

[IC] SA Berserk - POLL IS UP [Unit 02/Flash/Iron Man inspired Keyset]
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 01:29:06 »
So this is how they make their caps. Their molds are for around 30 caps, and they grouped the alphas and modifiers. They did this to be cost-effective. If we're going to include that reverse color for |\ and ~` they'll be using a mold for 30 caps to make just two caps, and the rest will be a waste (the other alpha keys with inverted colors).

Did they actually already make the mold?
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 August 2017, 01:33:43 by Mrs. Butter »

Offline rioc

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 01:45:19 »
is there any possibility for this being uniform R3 profile? (or is sculpted already set in stone?)

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 01:45:45 »
is there any possibility for this being uniform R3 profile? (or is sculpted already set in stone?)

Maxkeys only does 112343 for the time being.

Offline rioc

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 01:49:34 »

Maxkeys only does 112343 for the time being.

god damn they're lazy bastards

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 06:06:33 »

Sculpted is set in stone.

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #141 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 08:49:56 »
Updated the kit, added the white ESC, RETURN and numpad ENTER keys.

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #142 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 10:47:38 »

Show Image

Awesome! You just upgrades this kit with 300% style. I'm in for sure now.

Offline ullr

« Reply #143 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 12:50:46 »
Since MassDrop is the limiting factor with re-running Troubled Minds and doing other niche sets, have oyou considered working with KeyClack?

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 19:42:16 »

Show Image

Awesome! You just upgrades this kit with 300% style. I'm in for sure now.

That's great to know, thanks.  :thumb:

Since MassDrop is the limiting factor with re-running Troubled Minds and doing other niche sets, have oyou considered working with KeyClack?

Yes I've considered these options. Personally, a year long wait (probably more) from SP is not acceptable so I've also considered GMK, and then Maxkey reached out but didn't want to do another "old" set so we went with this.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 09 August 2017, 21:14:22 »

Show Image

Awesome! Thanks for reaching a compromise, sucks theres no white "\|" but im very happy to see we got the other white keys in there. I can always just cast my own R2 \| key in white if it bugs me a lot. Thanks again for getting white versions of the other keys, ill definitely be buying in for this set.

Offline jurai

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 02:10:28 »
looks slick, much excite

Offline thesiscamper

• * Maker
    • Keyrenders
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 09:06:12 »

Show Image

Awesome! Thanks for reaching a compromise, sucks theres no white "\|" but im very happy to see we got the other white keys in there. I can always just cast my own R2 \| key in white if it bugs me a lot. Thanks again for getting white versions of the other keys, ill definitely be buying in for this set.

Thanks! I should've added it from the start, I was irrationally trying to keep it as simple as possible.

looks slick, much excite

Glad you like it  :thumb:

Offline Tree_

« Reply #148 on: Sat, 12 August 2017, 23:52:44 »
Looks amazing. Hoping this will be my first SA set.

Offline ibakey

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 14 August 2017, 06:33:24 »
looks great. I cant get enough of the yellow and red mix. definately in although im mainly using ortho keyboards.