Author Topic: [IC] Laser GMK - 80's & Cyberpunk (LIVE)  (Read 262758 times)

Offline hoq

• wolfmark.work
Re: [IC] Laser GMK - An 80's vs Cyberpunk Project
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 02:52:58 »
Tried my hand at a few novelties

Show Image
Show Image

Ghost in the Shell

Show Image
Show Image

I love those Ghost in the Shell logo “笑い男” and "個別の十一人", but I don't think they understand what they mean.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 08:11:21 »
When do I get to buy this?!

Offline merintil

« Reply #102 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 08:11:40 »
Tried my hand at a few novelties

Show Image
Show Image

Ghost in the Shell

Show Image
Show Image

I love those Ghost in the Shell logo “笑い男” and "個別の十一人", but I don't think they understand what they mean.

I'm not sure who "they" refers to, but Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex did have a Western audience. In any event, I love these novelties and if they make it through, I'm definitely in.

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #103 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 09:41:21 »
Scoops? :P

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline 458

• No excuses No limits
« Reply #104 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 11:13:35 »
Interesting colorway, Are they custom colors?

Offline Mansen

• Tweak.dk
« Reply #105 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 19:03:49 »
Can't wait to put these on my Nordic boards. So neon, much retro.

Offline digisax

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 19:10:34 »
Scoops? :P

Seconded, I'd be so in for scooped homing keys, especially scooped keys with Hiragana legends.
niu mini - R2 T1s, MT3 Dev/TTY

Offline ullr

« Reply #107 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 20:28:48 »
Thank you to everyone who said they liked my ideas for GITS novelties, I decided to make another quick one

Offline digisax

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 27 April 2017, 20:59:43 »
Is there any chance for Hyper, Super, Meta keys instead of Control, Code, Alt? I feel like it'd fit the cyberpunk theme really well.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 00:45:54 »

I think this could be a good one... It is the gun off of Blade Runner
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 April 2017, 14:05:43 by ArchDill »

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #110 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 18:44:09 »
As a bit of an update, I'm preparing the material so we can discuss the Hiragana (which type of legends we gonna use) and the recently included Novelties as well. I'm going to share the renders soon, so you guys can tell me if you enjoy the new 1980's additions and Cyberpunk/Outun references I'd like to implement. I'm also going to set a poll so you can vote for your favorite Hiragana design and I'm pretty excited for the versions I'll be presenting! I concluded rendering this evening (it took me longer than I expected) and now I'm organizing the files and information for your better understanding (a changelog). Sorry for the delay, I hope you understand! Stay sharp.

Offline Draic

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 29 April 2017, 16:49:11 »
Any chance you can squeeze a 1u TAB in r2 and a 1u ENTER in r4? Would all that is missing for perfect minivan coverage. There are quite a few keys already in for that so might be nice to fill the niche completely.

Offline dsaf

« Reply #112 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 06:29:05 »
Shouldn't there be a red ISO enter in the Euro Kit?

Also some novelties could come from Akira (1988 cyberpunk anime) .
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 April 2017, 06:33:10 by dsaf »

Offline GreyAmbience

• I can stop when ever I want
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 06:51:17 »
Tape cassette and record please

Offline testplsignore

• I am one with the Cup Rubber...
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 09:36:04 »
Is there any chance for Hyper, Super, Meta keys instead of Control, Code, Alt? I feel like it'd fit the cyberpunk theme really well.

+1

Realforce 10AE 45g Type-S & 55g    HHKB BT & Type-S    Realforce RGB Hype-S    FC980C    FC660C    Filco BT TKL

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #115 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 11:07:07 »
This. Looks. Amazing.

Offline Loffeno

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 12:00:14 »
Looks incredible. Count me interested!

Offline Draic

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 13:57:23 »

+1
+2

Offline KnightDX

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 14:01:41 »
As an adult in his mid 20's, I need this in my life!

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 18:11:01 »

+1
+2

I think it would be super awesome to have these modifiers as well, but these molds do not exist with GMK and I don't think it's worth making this time. If we decide to go with Hyper, Super, Meta keycaps the community will demand regular legend keycaps (Ctrl, Alt, Win, etc) - and then I'll have to offer two different modifier kits. If I manage to offer the kits in a modular manner (instead of a base kit as we have for now) then I think it's doable. For now, I believe the best course of action to take is offer Ctrl, Alt, Win only. I hope you guys understand!

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #120 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 18:17:09 »
Any chance you can squeeze a 1u TAB in r2 and a 1u ENTER in r4? Would all that is missing for perfect minivan coverage. There are quite a few keys already in for that so might be nice to fill the niche completely.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think it's tricky to actually implement this. Not many people would make use of this keycaps and keycap after keycap, the kits gets more expensive for everyone. But let's look at your issue this way - you could use Esc isntead of Tab (for the R2 keycap you're missing) and Code/Hack instead of Enter (for the R4 keycap which is lacking). I'm kinda biased because I use blanks (no keyset I ever found covered ABNT2) but to be honest with you, I think a Mini Van is going to look more coherent and elegant if you use the keycaps I suggested instead of Tab/Enter. What do you think?

Offline digisax

« Reply #121 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 18:43:53 »

+1
+2

I think it would be super awesome to have these modifiers as well, but these molds do not exist with GMK and I don't think it's worth making this time. If we decide to go with Hyper, Super, Meta keycaps the community will demand regular legend keycaps (Ctrl, Alt, Win, etc) - and then I'll have to offer two different modifier kits. If I manage to offer the kits in a modular manner (instead of a base kit as we have for now) then I think it's doable. For now, I believe the best course of action to take is offer Ctrl, Alt, Win only. I hope you guys understand!

The Hyper/Super/Meta keys could be it's own addon set, but I feel like it'd be difficult to get enough orders for it.

The code and hack keys are cool enough if hyper/super/meta can't happen though.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 19:59:46 »
Any chance of a 96 layout render? I'm imaging it in my head but actual visuals are always nice. Anyways, I say keep the kits simple, no need for a ton of different wording on the modifiers, IMO.

Offline GroovyGI

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 30 April 2017, 22:10:01 »
Just when you think your done buying keycaps your hit with space invaders and pacman. I am going to need some more keyboards.

Offline kidgyu

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 10:37:42 »
Awesome!!!!
I must join this keycap!!!!!!
Plz, progressing massdrop!

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 11:25:38 »
Please vote for your favorite Hiragana kit here, and let me know what your thoughts are about the condensed Novelty kit!

CHANGELOG:
> Added magenta ISO to Eurokit;
> Condensed Novelties A and Novelties B into one kit.

« Last Edit: Mon, 01 May 2017, 18:18:34 by MiTo »

Offline eddible

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 11:30:02 »
Mito, not sure if you saw my post on the first page but the Euro kit is missing a R4 | \ key to complete UK ISO.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 11:33:12 »
Mito, not sure if you saw my post on the first page but the Euro kit is missing a R4 | \ key to complete UK ISO.

I definitely saw it, forgot to give you an update about that. The thing is that this keycap is already included on the Base Kit, however I erroneously labelled it as being a R3 keycap instead of R4. I'll fix the Base Kit render in order to reflect this, does that make sense?

Offline eddible

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 11:34:06 »

I definitely saw it, forgot to give you an update about that. The thing is that this keycap is already included on the Base Kit, however I erroneously labelled it as being a R3 keycap instead of R4. I'll fix the Base Kit render in order to reflect this, does that make sense?
Ah I see! That's even better, thanks for clarifying. :)

Offline digisax

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 11:38:06 »
Please vote for your favorite Hiragana kit here, and let me know what your thoughts are about the condensed Novelty kit!

CHANGELOG:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The finalized novelties kit is awesome, I love the Ghost in the Shell keys, there's something I like about the cassette key too.

Gaijin looks better than I expected it to and while I'd prefer Hiragana mono-legends I'm still so in for Gaijin.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 11:55:17 »
A guy from the MD talk tab suggested the swap for a couple convex keycaps in the ErgoPlanck kit. He even made a quick mockup to represent the keycaps he'd like to see convex, is anyone else interested in this change? I don't think it's clever to offer both convex and normal, the kit will end up with far too many duplicated wasted keycaps. I'd like to swap:

• Lower/Raise to convex instead of normal;
  • 2u and 2 x 1u spacebars to convex instead of normal.

The thumb cluster for the ErgoDox can be adjusted as well, so please let me know if there's any interest in that!

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:07:52 »
I feel like Gaijin works best since all the mods are in English, even though I prefer the cleaner look of Hiragana.  Don't care much for Hybrid.

Offline digisax

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:09:47 »
I feel like Gaijin works best since all the mods are in English, even though I prefer the cleaner look of Hiragana.  Don't care much for Hybrid.

Agreed on Hybrid, it just seems like a compromise that doesn't work so well.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:18:51 »
The finalized novelties kit is awesome, I love the Ghost in the Shell keys, there's something I like about the cassette key too.

Gaijin looks better than I expected it to and while I'd prefer Hiragana mono-legends I'm still so in for Gaijin.

Agreed on all fronts, novelties are fantastic.

My main input here is regarding legends as we've already discussed Mito - I still think straight mono Hiragana looks best, it's EXTREMELY clean and just lovely but the Gaijin option is actually much less cluttered than I thought; in fact, it looks very good and I'll still be buying in if it wins over mono.

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:28:40 »

My main input here is regarding legends as we've already discussed Mito - I still think straight mono Hiragana looks best, it's EXTREMELY clean and just lovely but the Gaijin option is actually much less cluttered than I thought; in fact, it looks very good and I'll still be buying in if it wins over mono.

Thanks for the feedback mate, I also voted for the Gaijin option - I think it's more balanced and looks better overall. I think the only ones who would use the monolegends to it's full potential would be ErgoPlanck users or people with icon/text modifier GMK sets. Regarding the novelties, a RMK user suggested that we should outline the cassette tape instead of making it a full icon, I think it's a good idea and I'll try to implement it.

Agreed on Hybrid, it just seems like a compromise that doesn't work so well.

Those are my thoughts as well, by the looks of it Hybrid is a classic example of something that is kinda worth it in your head but terrible when you actually see it.

Any chance of a 96 layout render? I'm imaging it in my head but actual visuals are always nice. Anyways, I say keep the kits simple, no need for a ton of different wording on the modifiers, IMO.

Working on it, stand by!

Offline digisax

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:29:16 »

Exactly how I feel, I would love mono-Hiragan and think it looks awesome and super clean but Gaijin isn't so cluttered that I won't buy it.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:34:30 »
A guy from the MD talk tab suggested the swap for a couple convex keycaps in the ErgoPlanck kit. He even made a quick mockup to represent the keycaps he'd like to see convex, is anyone else interested in this change? I don't think it's clever to offer both convex and normal, the kit will end up with far too many duplicated wasted keycaps. I'd like to swap:

The thumb cluster for the ErgoDox can be adjusted as well, so please let me know if there's any interest in that!
Please do this. In addition, make the 1u keycaps in the ErgoDox thumb clusters and the 2u keycaps in the Spacebars Kit convex as well. After you do this you should even be able to merge some of the keycaps for the ErgoDox and the Planck.

Offline poolside

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:34:46 »
Gaijin! Because that's what I am  ;D
It feels rich and captures the attention. As clean as it looks, Hiragana feels kinda empty. And I need my latin characters, even if I don't look at them.
Whichever wins, I am getting the JP alphas anyway.  :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:37:31 »

CHANGELOG:

Hiragana: Gaijin is double-spicy win sauce.

Novelties:

Nailed it.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #139 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:38:05 »

CHANGELOG:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Dude. This set is getting better with each of your updates. Merged novelties and Gaijin latin/jp legends. Perfection

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 12:41:56 »

Please do this. In addition, make the 1u keycaps in the ErgoDox thumb clusters and the 2u keycaps in the Spacebars Kit convex as well. After you do this you should even be able to merge some of the keycaps for the ErgoDox and the Planck.

Nice, thanks for the input dude I'll sort this out.

Nailed it.

Dude. This set is getting better with each of your updates. Merged novelties and Gaijin latin/jp legends. Perfection

Thanks for the enthusiasm, interest and contribution to the project guys!

Gaijin! Because that's what I am  ;D
It feels rich and captures the attention. As clean as it looks, Hiragana feels kinda empty. And I need my latin characters, even if I don't look at them.
Whichever wins, I am getting the JP alphas anyway.  :thumb:

Thanks for voting, that's very important so I can figure out what the preference is! And by the looks of it the noisy version seems to be winning by a relevant margin.

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 13:12:35 »
Working on it, stand by!
Awesome! Can't wait to see it. Great work on this set, the updated novelties are great and I like the Gaijin set. Would you be separating out alphas/mods or would we buy a full kit with regular alphas and then an additional kit?

Offline ullr

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 15:26:43 »
I’m only concerned that if the “Gaijin” (perhaps better termed Weeaboo?) mockup wins, this will probably turn out to be just another set for people who don’t actually plan on typing Japanese. The “Gaijin” and “Hybrid” kits would require over a dozen extra caps to be useful for typing Japanese, whereas the Hiragana only kit would maximally require four.

It just seems like a shame to get set after set (DSA Otaku, XDA Milestone, a couple of Dye sub sets, etc.) with Japanese legends on ANSI layouts with no love for anyone who might actually want to type Japanese. You might as well put the hiragana in random locations or use a random assortment of kanji or hentaigana if this is going to be bought by a bunch of English monoglots for the looks.

Offline digisax

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 15:34:13 »
I’m only concerned that if the “Gaijin” (perhaps better termed Weeaboo?) mockup wins, this will probably turn out to be just another set for people who don’t actually plan on typing Japanese. The “Gaijin” and “Hybrid” kits would require over a dozen extra caps to be useful for typing Japanese, whereas the Hiragana only kit would maximally require four.

It just seems like a shame to get set after set (DSA Otaku, XDA Milestone, a couple of Dye sub sets, etc.) with Japanese legends on ANSI layouts with no love for anyone who might actually want to type Japanese. You might as well put the hiragana in random locations or use a random assortment of kanji or hentaigana if this is going to be bought by a bunch of English monoglots for the looks.

Considering both Gaijin and Mono-Hiragana have the same Hiragana legends in the same place, what would make mini-Hiragana more useful for typing Japanese than Gaijin?

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 15:34:58 »

I sympathize, but if the vast majority of the target audience isn't going to actually type in Japanese and just wants the hiragana to lend more to the cyberpunk aethetics of the set, then the Gaijin option it probably the better way to go. All I know is if the kit was sold in modifiers + choice of alphas and it was the Gaijin set, I'd buy that because it lends to the theme of the board and still has useful legends for me (or my wife who uses my computer from time to time and may need to hunt for a key since the layout isn't what she's used to. If we have to buy the second alpha kit in addition to the standard I'm not sure I'd go for it since I'm fine with the normal alphas too.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 15:38:47 »
^ what he said. I was just having a similar discussion on Slack a couple hours ago actually; how much of a percentage of special alphabet kits bought actually serve their purpose? I wager around 10% which seemed to be the highest guess, with the lowest being 1%. People want the eye candy, not the practicality.

Offline forevermadrigal

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 15:48:20 »
Gajin looks extremely busy

Offline ullr

« Reply #147 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 15:59:11 »

Considering both Gaijin and Mono-Hiragana have the same Hiragana legends in the same place, what would make mini-Hiragana more useful for typing Japanese than Gaijin?

Japanese keyboards have a different layout of Roman punctuation than US ANSI boards. You could theoretically remap your ANSI keyboard to be only require one key (the Yen/Chōonpu key) on a function layer or placed outside the alpha block, but your legends would be wrong on a dozen or so keys.

I sympathize, but if the vast majority of the target audience isn't going to actually type in Japanese and just wants the hiragana to lend more to the cyberpunk aethetics of the set, then the Gaijin option it probably the better way to go. All I know is if the kit was sold in modifiers + choice of alphas and it was the Gaijin set, I'd buy that because it lends to the theme of the board and still has useful legends for me (or my wife who uses my computer from time to time and may need to hunt for a key since the layout isn't what she's used to. If we have to buy the second alpha kit in addition to the standard I'm not sure I'd go for it since I'm fine with the normal alphas too.

The Japanese alphas are extras. The cheapest option supporting both would be to offer JIS alphas separate, people buying for the looks can swap A–Z out (just like Cyrillic sets). Having every Kana in the right positions (except those not permitted by the fact that ANSI layouts have three fewer alpha keys than the JIS) layout is really pointless because (as mentioned above) the amalgam of JIS and US ANSI that you see in these sets doesn’t actually exist in software — and because Japanese requires more advanced input methods for typing Kanji, I’m not sure a custom layout is even possible except maybe with a complicated layout in TMK assigning opaque macros to key chords that would cause weird side effects in other software.

^ what he said. I was just having a similar discussion on Slack a couple hours ago actually; how much of a percentage of special alphabet kits bought actually serve their purpose? I wager around 10% which seemed to be the highest guess, with the lowest being 1%. People want the eye candy, not the practicality.

I recognize that it’s quite niche, which is why I feel like it’s a shame that Hiragana only mods appear to be losing. I don’t think four extra keys to flesh out support for the language on the caps is too much to ask for, but I could understand apprehension at the dozen or so required for the ones that are vaguely orientalist US ANSI.

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #148 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 16:04:15 »
I recognize that it’s quite niche, which is why I feel like it’s a shame that Hiragana only mods appear to be losing. I don’t think four extra keys to flesh out support for the language on the caps is too much to ask for, but I could understand apprehension at the dozen or so required for the ones that are vaguely orientalist US ANSI.

Depends on the size of the keys necessary - GMK is asking for $300 per new doubleshot legend mould for 1u keys; if the additional 1-1.5k necessary is made back in sales then it'd obviously be worth it (or at least do no harm) but if there'd be different sizes than 1u needed it might be a lot more complicated than it already is.

Offline ullr

« Reply #149 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 16:10:41 »

Depends on the size of the keys necessary - GMK is asking for $300 per new doubleshot legend mould for 1u keys; if the additional 1-1.5k necessary is made back in sales then it'd obviously be worth it (or at least do no harm) but if there'd be different sizes than 1u needed it might be a lot more complicated than it already is.

No, realistically, everyone is quite right to doubt that enough people care about JIS support to justify the extra cost. I don’t think the cost of 4–5 caps would make or break the kit for many people but a dozen might. FWIW though, JIS actually only uses 1× keys for the alphas whereas supporting US ANSI with (frankly arbitrary) Japanese sub‐legends may require an extra 1.5× key (the pipe key with ‘Mu’ sub‐legend) if GMK doesn’t already have the mold.