Author Topic: Ready-built Ergodox by Fengsbay  (Read 4256 times)

Offline autoturk

Ready-built Ergodox by Fengsbay
« on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 13:03:39 »
I found a ready-built ergodox on eBay sold by fengsbay (not sure if it’s the same infamous feng). I wanted to try this out but don’t have the soldering skills/time so it seemed like a good deal ($199 + $29 S/H) to get in on the ergodox craze. The review won’t be focusing on the ergodox design itself but rather fengsbay’s ready-made version.

(Full disclosure: I was sent one of these to review)

The board comes with red Cherry MX switches and a black injection molded case based on the designs on the ergodox.org site (ie. The top case has a built in switch plate and the bottom case just allows access to the rear of the PCB). Overall the construction seems great. Nothing that seemed off, though the case was a bit rough around the edges. The soldering also seemed pretty well done, certainly better than I could do!

The board also includes LEDs on the left-most modifier (layer switch in the default layout) keys to indicate which layer you are on, though I haven’t noticed them since the keys I’m using (Kinesis doubleshots from an old version) are not translucent. I’m not sure if/how one would program them if it was necessary though.

I have to say though that the coiled TRRS cable they provided to connect the left half was basically useless. It ruined the ability to split the board as (at least on my desk) as soon as you tried to push the two sides apart the coil would yank the two halves together. It’s just too short to be useful. I’ve included some pictures below that shows what I’m talking about. I had to order a longer non-coiled TRRS cable to work with my setup. There are some rubber feet that are included that you can stick on the back that provide grip and may solve the yanking issue, but I’m not certain if it’ll work. It’s a small oversight but one that is important enough to mention. Perhaps they’ll change this in future sales, not sure.

Overall it all works, there’s not much to say. Fairly cheap to get an ergodox if you’re cool with Cherry MX red switches and have your own caps as they are not included. You can find it on ebay if you search for Ergodox right now. Shipping took about a week and a half (I’m on the US east coast).

TL;DR version: Inexpensive, ready-built ergodox that works great but comes with a short TRRS cable. Happy to answer more questions if y'all have any.

Pictures here: http://imgur.com/a/arBeR

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
Re: Ready-built Ergodox by Fengsbay
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 15:14:27 »
Really like the case.  I'd like this more if it was formatted into sections so I could find parts of the review to re-read that were important to me, but you did a good job.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline sitch

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 02:03:59 »
I found a ready-built ergodox on eBay sold by fengsbay (not sure if it’s the same infamous feng). I wanted to try this out but don’t have the soldering skills/time so it seemed like a good deal ($199 + $29 S/H) to get in on the ergodox craze. The review won’t be focusing on the ergodox design itself but rather fengsbay’s ready-made version.

The board comes with red Cherry MX switches and a black injection molded case based on the designs on the ergodox.org site (ie. The top case has a built in switch plate and the bottom case just allows access to the rear of the PCB). Overall the construction seems great. Nothing that seemed off, though the case was a bit rough around the edges. The soldering also seemed pretty well done, certainly better than I could do!

The board also includes LEDs on the left-most modifier (layer switch in the default layout) keys to indicate which layer you are on, though I haven’t noticed them since the keys I’m using (Kinesis doubleshots from an old version) are not translucent. I’m not sure if/how one would program them if it was necessary though.

I have to say though that the coiled TRRS cable they provided to connect the left half was basically useless. It ruined the ability to split the board as (at least on my desk) as soon as you tried to push the two sides apart the coil would yank the two halves together. It’s just too short to be useful. I’ve included some pictures below that shows what I’m talking about. I had to order a longer non-coiled TRRS cable to work with my setup. There are some rubber feet that are included that you can stick on the back that provide grip and may solve the yanking issue, but I’m not certain if it’ll work. It’s a small oversight but one that is important enough to mention. Perhaps they’ll change this in future sales, not sure.

Overall it all works, there’s not much to say. Fairly cheap to get an ergodox if you’re cool with Cherry MX red switches and have your own caps as they are not included. You can find it on ebay if you search for Ergodox right now. Shipping took about a week and a half (I’m on the US east coast).

TL;DR version: Inexpensive, ready-built ergodox that works great but comes with a short TRRS cable. Happy to answer more questions if y'all have any.

can you show me his ebay link? couldnt seems to find it..

Offline autoturk

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 September 2015, 10:55:03 »

can you show me his ebay link? couldnt seems to find it..

Here you go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/ErgoDox-Ergonomic-Mechanical-Keyboard-Cherry-MX-Red-Fully-Assembled-NOT-Kit-/181862584376?hash=item2a57dad038

There's also one with Cherry MX browns now, you can find it in his other items.

Offline fengsbay

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 17 September 2015, 18:12:03 »
Thank you for pointing out the problem with coiled TRRS cable. For a limited time, we are including both a straight cable and a coiled cable.