Author Topic: "Show unread topics"?  (Read 7502 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
"Show unread topics"?
« on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 15:25:28 »
About that link that appears at the top of the page that says:

Show unread topics since last visit.

I realize you're trying to draw to our attention to topics with new replies, to interest us in reading them. But couldn't that phrasing backfire and imply these are topics no one has read since your last visit—in other words, really boring topics? You know, like this one?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: "Show unread topics"?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 15:30:25 »
It could, but I suppose I've never thought of it apart from clicking it everytime I want to browse new stuff. The phrasing of "Show new replies to your posts." is a bit off too. Kind of implies to my posts aka topics.

Offline Doluded

• road to black star
"Show unread topics"?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 15:59:00 »
I've never thought of it as posts that are unpopular. I read it as posts that I haven't read yet and that's what they mean, but I get where you're coming from although I bet there's not many people who see it as boring topics that are being shown.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 21:37:17 »
Simple fix: there's a little white arrow in the very top right corner of the page, pointing up (like a chevron).

Click it.

Problem solved.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 22:20:44 »
Simple fix: there's a little white arrow in the very top right corner of the page, pointing up (like a chevron).

Click it.

Problem solved.

Thank you

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 15 May 2017, 19:42:26 »
Simple fix: there's a little white arrow in the very top right corner of the page, pointing up (like a chevron)... Click it... Problem solved.

Well, sure, you can always hide stuff that doesn't seem to make sense—but where's the civic duty in that?

Besides, I'm always on the lookout for stuff I can pretend not to understand so I can post about it. Here in the suburbs, we often have to create our own entertainment.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg