Author Topic: Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M review (Cherry MX Green)  (Read 5513 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M review (Cherry MX Green)
« on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 08:01:42 »
Ticking a lot of request boxes here, a modern, premium gaming keyboard, and Cherry MX green. And it's a pretty interesting beast of itself to boot! Hope you enjoy :) .

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: Cooler Master MasterKeys Pro M review (Cherry MX Green)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 12 March 2017, 22:43:08 »
Great review as always.

Always liked the idea of this layout! Only a hair longer than a true TKL but you still get the functionality of a full-size.

Although I have to agree with you, if you want a heavy clicky switch I see no reason to go with MX Greens over buckling springs or space invaders.

I wonder if some day we can get a group project going for custom space-invader PCB's and plates, the switches themselves are almost as plentiful as the more common Alps from what I've seen

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 13 March 2017, 05:58:48 »
Great review as always.

Always liked the idea of this layout! Only a hair longer than a true TKL but you still get the functionality of a full-size.

Although I have to agree with you, if you want a heavy clicky switch I see no reason to go with MX Greens over buckling springs or space invaders.

I wonder if some day we can get a group project going for custom space-invader PCB's and plates, the switches themselves are almost as plentiful as the more common Alps from what I've seen
I think space invaders don't actually react all that well to dirt and dust tbh. Not as bad as Alps, but still.

It'd be good to have a large stock of NOS switches for such a project.

Offline dante

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 09:12:59 »
Space Invaders always struck me as luxurious version of MX Greens.  IMO they feel like a very expensive refined switch.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 11:02:35 »
Space Invaders always struck me as luxurious version of MX Greens.  IMO they feel like a very expensive refined switch.
Yeah, I can definitely identify with that sentiment :) .

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:11:34 »
Great review as always.

Why wouldn't someone go with MX greens if you can't even buy these "Hi-tek space invaders" switches to begin with?
We're talking about a commercially available keyboard versus one that was made for terminals that needs to basically be interfaced with the PC from scratch.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 14:42:29 »
Great review as always.

Why wouldn't someone go with MX greens if you can't even buy these "Hi-tek space invaders" switches to begin with?
We're talking about a commercially available keyboard versus one that was made for terminals that needs to basically be interfaced with the PC from scratch.
Well the underlined part isn't true, but I agree that it's iffy comparing these two, although I've been called out for doing so.

That said, the unavailability of a better alternative is no excuse for manufacturers to produce sub-par switches.

Offline avantdark

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 00:50:29 »
I bought this board recently and believe it or not, swapped the browns with gateron greens. I really love that layout but couldn't stand the light keys.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 01:50:15 »
My all time MVP click switch has to be the IIc's Amber alps. I'm so jealous of your NIB find Chyros.. Mine are all lame and scratchy.  :'(

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 02:59:51 »
I bought this board recently and believe it or not, swapped the browns with gateron greens. I really love that layout but couldn't stand the light keys.
how do you people stand such stiff switches? there has been so much progress since typewriters my friends!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 06:22:23 »
My all time MVP click switch has to be the IIc's Amber alps. I'm so jealous of your NIB find Chyros.. Mine are all lame and scratchy.  :'(
Yeah, amber Alps are fantastic, people really liked them at the meetups, too.

Offline Gajible

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 09:49:10 »

Do you have any experience with lubing them? I know they come with a dry lubricant applied, but mine were too dusty for that to make a difference. You seem to be the guy to ask!

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 11:31:23 »

Do you have any experience with lubing them? I know they come with a dry lubricant applied, but mine were too dusty for that to make a difference. You seem to be the guy to ask!
Yes, I've tried lubing Alps, but it doesn't really work all that well. A good clean works better, particularly through sonication. If they've been heavily used or used while dirty the damage isn't fully reversible, though, and you'll always end up with switches that are less good than they originally were no matter how much TLC you apply.

Offline falkentyne

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 12:29:01 »
how do you people stand such stiff switches? there has been so much progress since typewriters my friends!

Gateron greens are anything but stiff (I assume you mean spring weight).  They're actually LESS heavy than Cherry MX Greens, and are only a bit more heavy than RGB MX Blues.  They feel somewhat inbetween MX blues and greens.  I actually find RGB MX blues to be heavier than non RGB MX blues (at least on my shine 6 and YOTM), probably due to the tactile bump being more substantial, which adds to resistance.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 16 March 2017, 15:17:22 »

Gateron greens are anything but stiff (I assume you mean spring weight).  They're actually LESS heavy than Cherry MX Greens, and are only a bit more heavy than RGB MX Blues.  They feel somewhat inbetween MX blues and greens.  I actually find RGB MX blues to be heavier than non RGB MX blues (at least on my shine 6 and YOTM), probably due to the tactile bump being more substantial, which adds to resistance.
didn't know this, just assumed they were the same weight as mx greens.

Offline dantan

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 17 March 2017, 21:01:10 »
Didn't this layout come out like 5 or 6 years ago?

After 5 years it still didn't become popular; that says a lot about how much appeal it reaaally has. Making minor tweaks and offering greens isn't going to change the basic appeal (or lack thereof).

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 02:37:21 »
Didn't this layout come out like 5 or 6 years ago?

After 5 years it still didn't become popular; that says a lot about how much appeal it reaaally has. Making minor tweaks and offering greens isn't going to change the basic appeal (or lack thereof).
Well it was popular enough CM brought it back for their Masterkeys line. And it's even better than the old TK.

Offline dantan

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 08:16:41 »
Well it was popular enough CM brought it back for their Masterkeys line. And it's even better than the old TK.
[/quote]

If CM didn't at least improve over the old TK, they would have been screwed. The market has gotten way more competitive in the past few years and even the cheapest $30 boards are having RGB LEDs and lighting effects.