Author Topic: Alternate Firmware for NerD Boards  (Read 2839 times)

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
Alternate Firmware for NerD Boards
« on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 03:04:24 »
I own 4 NerD60 boards, different revisions/editions. I've had the chance to play with various 60% PCB's and NerD60 are the best in my opinion. The only thing that always bothered me was the firmware. Programming is supported only on Windows, the board is known to sometimes cause crashes on Mac, sometimes there is a lag when using the board on Mac, the board is not recognized in BIOS/GRUB (depending on firmware version the behavior is different).
The controller is atmega32u4 , that means it is supported by some of the Open Source firmware projects. The first conversion I am aware of was done by xauser, he also has created the nerd branch in TMK. Knowing that this can be done I have started to experiment myself, little was documented(close to nothing) so I had to learn a lot of things until I was able to make this mod.
Because I wanted to share my experience with other users I have created a guide on how to make this mod, you can find it here : https://deskthority.net/wiki/Converting_NerD60_to_TMK

So far I have tested it on v1.6,v2.0,v2.1 versions of the NerD60 PCB with success, have also reports from other users that it works without any issues (or at least big ones :D ) .

Now to the scope of this thread, so far the only confirmed working alternate firmware is TMK, you have backlight support, underlight support but with some limitations (no way to modify the light intensity, no breathing lights). I would like to extend the support for this board, have new features implemented, maybe even BT working. QMK firmware has a lot of features related to lights so I think this would be a great point to start, I will try my best to start this port but I hope to get more people involved, I know there are quite a few NerD boards in the wild :)
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
Re: Alternate Firmware for NerD Boards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 June 2016, 03:04:48 »
Reserved  :)

Offline Protoype

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 08:24:04 »
Any progression with this? :-X
No place like 127.0.0.1

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 08:59:28 »
Well, all my NerD60 PCB's are running TMK and I'm very happy with that. I hoped to gather more interest and maybe some people with programming skills to get involved and add new features.
But I guess people are happy with the stock firmware and being stuck with the bugs and windows...
I'm busy these days but when I will get some extra time I will start to work on this.