Author Topic: Massdrop Customer Support  (Read 10544 times)

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
Massdrop Customer Support
« on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 12:46:01 »
I'm (likely) working with Massdrop for an upcoming group buy.

Massdrop is not always well liked here on GH. For a number of reasons it makes the most sense for me to deal with them.

Massdrop is disappointed by their reputation in the community is working to improve it. Let's use this thread to discuss past experiences and provide feedback! Let's be the change! :thumb:

One concrete suggestion so far: Look into using Transglobal Express to ship items to the UK.
One more concrete suggestion: Open a European distribution center.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Massdrop Customer Support
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 14:25:33 »
One concrete suggestion so far: Look into using Transglobal Express to ship items to the UK.
One more concrete suggestion: Open a European distribution center.

One thing to keep in mind with the suggestions- some require a not-insignificant outlay of funds that they might have on the radar, but not in the short term plans.  Both of those that you've stated might fall into that category.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 14:25:36 »
I keep typing up responses but they're just negative and not helpful so I guess I've just got nothing good to say.

Good luck with your buy I'd love to have a hall effect board but I will no longer do business with massdrop.

Offline XMIT

• formerly jsoltren
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 October 2016, 14:30:17 »
SpAmRaY, I'm sorry you had some bad experience! Please share it with me via PM, I'd love to read it and see what I can learn from it.

I can't promise anything, but at least for my personal sales, I may offer some boards (either a small offering or unloading some prototypes) directly on the forum. For the reasons I stated in my Hall Effect keyboard thread working with Massdrop as a distribution partner is the right choice for me right now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 05:06:35 »
I wouldn't say I've had a bad experience with them yet (other than the packaging of the TA set, which wasn't completely their fault.  Mine arrived upside down in the MD box, btw, which didn't help the keycaps staying in the GMK tray.

Apart from that their communication and updates are great, and everything has arrived safely and in a reasonable time (shipped to Australia).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chicken

• Gallus gallus domesticus
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 30 October 2016, 20:49:31 »
My experience with Massdrop has been mostly positive (but this was a year ago, so this might have changed). My biggest problem was the shipping. Shipping cost and time was fairly high. But the package arrived safely and to the correct place.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 14:32:01 »
If Massdrop wants long term* customers, they need to stop doing drops where the product can be found cheaper or same price elsewhere. Too large of a portion of drops are just advertising for the product rather than an actual deal. When I first joined massdrop I'd check it every other day or more. Then I realized that this was happening a lot, and I stopped checking. Now I only open massdrop pages if someone links them to me.

They need to separate their drops into 'this is a custom built thing that cannot be gotten elsewhere (unless being re-sold from a previous run)" and "this is a commercially available item". The issue stated above comes up a LOT on the latter category.

They also need to stop offering crappy knockoffs/repackaged items. Doesn't happen on keyboards too often but things like the 'pluggies' magnetic usb micro cable - it's literally repackaging a mass-manufactured chinese cable available for $8 on ebay. Massdrop needs to be able to say that everything offered from them is actually of quality.

* Edit to add a note: long term meaning users who go to the site at least once a week to check new drops of their own accord. Obviously I don't have their web stats, but right now I would be willing to bet most users do not fall into this pattern and instead buy only when someone else recommends a specific drop.
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 November 2016, 05:29:48 by cribbit »
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline zslane

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 14:41:13 »
Yeah, I find that to be puzzling, to be honest. I know that companies like to expand and grow, but I am always leery when they do so in a direction that fundamentally changes what they are. MassDrop was a place to get group discounts on custom, high-quality, made-to-order gear you can't get anywhere else. I think they ought to stay that way, but clearly MassDrop doesn't agree.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 18:49:33 »
Yeah, I find that to be puzzling, to be honest. I know that companies like to expand and grow, but I am always leery when they do so in a direction that fundamentally changes what they are. MassDrop was a place to get group discounts on custom, high-quality, made-to-order gear you can't get anywhere else. I think they ought to stay that way, but clearly MassDrop doesn't agree.

A lot of those so-called mass market items, I still got from MD, because I didn't even know to look at it anywhere else.  And some of those that you can buy on Ali Express, aren't from the real manufacturer, so are of questionable quality.  Ask me how I know.  Having someone who I can trust, not just with the drop, but with the aftermarket support is golden to me.  There have been a few where I could get it from Amazon, quicker, if not less expensively.  And I find that out because people call it out- and I make my decision.

Supply and Demand is really in effect on MD.  If it doesn't reach MOQ, they won't re-drop it, right?  And if MOQ is met, someone wanted it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 November 2016, 18:52:05 by chuckdee »

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 18:59:02 »
A lot of those so-called mass market items, I still got from MD, because I didn't even know to look at it anywhere else...There have been a few where I could get it from Amazon, quicker, if not less expensively.  And I find that out because people call it out- and I make my decision.

I think this is where google, GeekHack, and reddit come to the rescue. A lot of cool items get posted on these forums, and often times it's the first I hear (or see) of them. Because I only came to all this a year ago, I missed out on a lot of things that originally appeared on MassDrop. But seeing things on forums usually leads me to doing google searches, where I find those items available elsewhere (like Amazon).

A good example is the KBParadise V60 mini. I remember seeing them on MassDrop but always ignored them because I wasn't interested in another 60% board. But then I decided I wanted to try Matias switches without investing in a full-size board and suddenly I found myself in the market for a V60 mini. MassDrop didn't have a drop for them when I needed it, but according to folks on the forums, they could be obtained from online stores with regular stock. No need to wait for another MD drop.

In this case, MD didn't really benefit me, and they probably aren't really helping any MD members who also want a V60 mini right now and don't find a $10 discount to be worth the wait. I'd rather see MD focus on products that aren't going to be mass produced for traditional online sales.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 19:26:15 »

And some of those that you can buy on Ali Express, aren't from the real manufacturer, so are of questionable quality.

I would say the questionable quality is a common theme at massdrop as well.

Offline zslane

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 20:25:50 »
If so, I sort of feel MassDrop is either failing to understand their audience, or their audience is changing from one that prefers high-quality custom goods (even if at a bit of a premium) to one that prefers a custom product at the lowest possible price regardless of quality.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 22:06:12 »
If so, I sort of feel MassDrop is either failing to understand their audience, or their audience is changing from one that prefers high-quality custom goods (even if at a bit of a premium) to one that prefers a custom product at the lowest possible price regardless of quality.

Massdrop still has some nice custom high quality drops. The minivan kit comes to mind, as well as the various ergodox variations and most keycap set drops. The issue is that they're getting diluted with drops that are neither custom nor high quality. Or that are just another distribution outlet for a major product.

A large part of the issue is the community of the site. As with many things that start with a small, mature community and suddenly grow to include large parts of the internet, they just don't understand what the site is. This is abundantly clear when you look at the polls section. High end gaming mice, for example. Top of that poll are two of the best selling gaming mice out there, the G502 and the deathadder chroma. They're acting like two giant, well known brands would magically offer a discount so that a tiny distributor could sell some units. I would bet good money that if they do a 'drop' for the G502, it'll be $60 after shipping, which is the same 'deal' that most retailers carry it at. And to top it off, this is a 'featured' poll. This issue is being actively exacerbated by Massdrop staff doing **** like 'featuring' that poll, because it gets the ADD juices of the fleeting customer base of the site flowing.

Other examples, as I scroll down the page of active drops; the MSI 1070 'armor' is $415 lowest on massdrop after shipping, $412 on Amazon. MSI 1080 Seahawk is $745 massdrop, $749 Amazon. ATH-M50x is $120 massdrop, $125 other sellers, but regularly goes on sale for $100 from various retailers. 10,000 mah portable phone battery, $27 massdrop, $15-30 depending on brand on Amazon.

And don't get me started on the audio and novelty items, which are often a complete rip off. Luckily, these issues haven't affected the keyboard community as much. The only way that it's sort of slipping in is that aluminum cases (which arguably got mass appeal and exposure because of massdrop) are now available through so many other vendors that it's not as special on massdrop. Kind of also happening for keycaps. But the other communities are being hit hard, it's painful to scroll through 'all drops' anymore.

Also, any drop under 15 units isn't really a group buy when it's not a completely custom, hand made item exclusive to massdrop, that's only on massdrop so the producer can have a stable production line. 4 units of a Cannon camera? That's not a drop, that's just advertising.

Massdrop has stopped being a way for small scale custom producers to get a stable group buy, and become a cash grab/advertising platform. It's not really Massdrop's fault, they need to make money somehow, but they can't pretend they're a chic custom site like they used to be.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 22:09:36 »
Also, any drop under 15 units isn't really a group buy when it's not a completely custom, hand made item exclusive to massdrop, that's only on massdrop so the producer can have a stable production line. 4 units of a Cannon camera? That's not a drop, that's just advertising.

I think that your definition of what they are is different from what they're advertising.  When I joined, I understood that it was to take the purchasing power of a large group in order to secure lower prices on whatever they offered.  That Canon camera, people are getting for less because they're buying as a group instead of buying at retail.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 01 November 2016, 22:48:30 »

I think that your definition of what they are is different from what they're advertising.  When I joined, I understood that it was to take the purchasing power of a large group in order to secure lower prices on whatever they offered.  That Canon camera, people are getting for less because they're buying as a group instead of buying at retail.

Four people isn't enough of a group for a major brand like Cannon to actually care.

Also, the canon drop is available for $550 on ebay with all the same goodies.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 05:25:46 »
I'd also like to make it clear that I don't think Massdrop is wrong to operate like this. The previous posts are just my frustrations. It would be unreasonable to say that they cannot do what makes them money and allows them to survive. I think that it's an acceptable, necessary evil downside since they give a huge benefit to the custom keyboard community. While GH is pretty good as far as forums go it has severe limitations for group buys. The official, regulated marketplace that Massdrop has created and the market reach they offer are incredible for allowing keyboard producers to sell keyboards that might otherwise never get enough interested buyers for a production run.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 11:46:38 »

Four people isn't enough of a group for a major brand like Cannon to actually care.

Also, the canon drop is available for $550 on ebay with all the same goodies.
Does that make any of what I said less relevant?  They apparently do have from some venue a drop level where this number of purchasers gets a discount.  At the point where there are others that get the same price,  it becomes a matter of who do you trust?   Someone on ebay?  Or someone you've done other business with?

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 13:17:57 »
They need to separate their drops into 'this is a custom built thing that cannot be gotten elsewhere (unless being re-sold from a previous run)" and "this is a commercially available item". The issue stated above comes up a LOT on the latter category.

I agree that Massdrop could be a lot clearer with all this.  The group concept has essentially morphed into 2 distinctly different categories.  The "lets get the manufacture/distributer of a pre existing product to give us a discount if we come to them with a larger order" and the "lets get enough commitment so we can get something custom manufactured at a semi-reasonable price".  After reading through the comments at Massdrop on some of the custom products, it's highly evident some people don't get the distinction.

As for my personal experience, I think I've bought 9 things and all have gone well except for one.  Closer to the beginning of their existence, I jumped in on a custom keyboard.  I opted for full assembly, which was the main source of the problem as that was one of the earlier (or maybe the first??) times they'd attempted to do that.  Took about 9 months from order to arrival.  When it finally arrived, there was miss solder on one of the switches and my case was incorrect.  I contacted support and they promptly sent out a new case and a new circuit board.  5 months later, another solder joint failed.  I emailed support and as they didn't have any additional circuit boards available, they just refunded me my whole purchase.  While the wait was a little long for the initial shipping, the support I got after was excellent. 

As for general comments, some official proxys / distribution centers would be nice to help cut down on shipping.  The interface needs some updates to better accommodate child deals.  The polls are pretty useless for anything in the custom manufactured category.  I also think Massdrop needs to be less specific with the shipping dates on their custom products.  Everyone may not agree, but I'd rather them give an estimated shipping time of "first half of 2017" or something similar rather than a specific date, miss it by a couple months and have to listen to everyone whining.  If you can't handle a highly generalized shipping estimate for a first time custom manufactured product, maybe you shouldn't be participating.

Offline zslane

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 13:34:44 »
I use MassDrop for one thing only: to get mech keyboard items I can't get anywhere else. But in a broader sense, MassDrop's value to me is as a central place where people can gather and pre-order a custom made item that would be too expensive for me to have custom made just for myself. I hate having to rely on others in order to buy something I want, but I'm not prepared to spend $800 to have a keycap set made just for myself.

So how is MassDrop any different than a forum community GB? In purpose, none. In execution, it is vastly different in my experience. I have far more confidence in MassDrop than forum members, no matter how well-meaning they are. I have PuLSE and Granite thanks to MassDrop. But I won't be getting LightCycle DSA now, and I'm still waiting on Round 6 even though it's been a year (two for some folks).

The old-timers around here may like all the uncertainties of community-run group buys, but given a choice I'd rather have the stability and reliability of MassDrop. Even if that stability and reliability comes at a small premium.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 November 2016, 13:40:56 »
I am just sad they ended the commander deck preorder 6 days early. I was going to jump on it, then boom, gone

:confused:

Guess its the magic gods telling me no =(

Offline yottagray

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 12:59:38 »
I recently had to move to a new apartment unexpectantly (****ing landlords), and had to message Massdrop support to fix the shipping on all my orders. I was really terrified since I wasn't sure if they directly control shipping on all of their drops and there was a drop that was<2 weeks from shipping that I was pretty sure was not going to be able to get changed.

They came through though and successfully updated my shipping address on all 6 of my open orders in no time. I was very happy with the whole thing. The worst problem I've ever had with them was the Scythe drop, but I don't know how much of that was their fault.

Offline cribbit

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 11 November 2016, 16:36:35 »
I recently had to move to a new apartment unexpectantly (****ing landlords), and had to message Massdrop support to fix the shipping on all my orders. I was really terrified since I wasn't sure if they directly control shipping on all of their drops and there was a drop that was<2 weeks from shipping that I was pretty sure was not going to be able to get changed.

They came through though and successfully updated my shipping address on all 6 of my open orders in no time. I was very happy with the whole thing. The worst problem I've ever had with them was the Scythe drop, but I don't know how much of that was their fault.

That's a good point, their actual customer service is usually excellent, whatever you think of the site itself.

Offline dilbertprogrammer

• Keyboard Connoisseur
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 16 November 2016, 17:23:00 »
I've participated in numerous drops at MassDrop and have always been pleased with the update notifications and Customer Service responses to questions.  IMO they do a fine job at handling group buys and eliminate a fair amount of doubt and concern often encountered during the GB process. 

Offline anhthao88

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 16:44:35 »
I have used Massdrop on and off for about 2 years and got maybe 10 items from them. I agree that price is not always excellent but I have had zero problem with Massdrop's customer service. They are usually quick to response but sometimes it could take more than 1 week.

Offline dantan

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 09:47:08 »
Massdrop is really necessary for small people like us who can't build our own super duper custom keyboards from scratch. It helps put us together and in touch with makers who otherwise won't do custom keyboards or keycaps. It's way safer than leaving ourselves to the mercy of potential scammers who cut and run once they've taken GB money.

The problem comes when they try to sell common products. They can't really compete on costs when faced with behemoths like Amazon. But then again I never look at common products on Massdrop.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 18:19:30 »
Massdrop is really necessary for small people like us who can't build our own super duper custom keyboards from scratch. It helps put us together and in touch with makers who otherwise won't do custom keyboards or keycaps. It's way safer than leaving ourselves to the mercy of potential scammers who cut and run once they've taken GB money.

The problem comes when they try to sell common products. They can't really compete on costs when faced with behemoths like Amazon. But then again I never look at common products on Massdrop.

I still look at them.  If it's not something I need immediately, and the price is comparable, I still support MD.  Though I do my due diligence, and sometimes Amazon wins out.

Offline bmmcwhirt

• KB9YEN
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 08:31:55 »
1. Check internet pricing before posting a drop. 60% of the time I can outright buy the item new for the same price or less than drops are. Several times I've seen where the Price plus shipping is the same price it would be to buy it on Amazon with free shipping, so technically it's less but when you factor in shipping and 3-6 week wait vs 2 days it makes the drop pointless.

2. Pay attention to the discussions. They merged the Audio and Pro Audio and since then all Pro-Audio drops have disappeared. Everyone in the discussion warned about this but they ignored it.

3. Put things in the right community. Several times I've seen Mech Keyboards in the Tech community and not the MK community. If it's listed both paces thats fine but when it's not listed in the appropriate community then your not as visible as you should be.