Author Topic: Unicomp media keycaps bad quality?  (Read 2547 times)

Offline ConiKost

Unicomp media keycaps bad quality?
« on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:03:43 »
Hi!
Does anybody also ordered some media keycaps from Unicomp?
I've ordered two sets for my two IBM Model M 122 (1397003), but those keycaps seems to have a very bad quality.
See my attached picture.

Unicomp picture:

The actual keycaps:

Is this normal?

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
Re: Unicomp media keycaps bad quality?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 14:06:44 »
Hi!
Does anybody also ordered some media keycaps from Unicomp?
I've ordered two sets for my two IBM Model M 122 (1397003), but those keycaps seems to have a very bad quality.
See my attached picture.

Unicomp picture:
Show Image

The actual keycaps:
Show Image

Is this normal?

Normal or not, it's not what was pictured. Have you contacted Unicomp?
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 15:32:39 »
Mine look pretty much like yours, where the legends are towards the top left, and not centered.  Never really noticed it, looks fine to me as is - I only use the volume up, volume down and mute keys.

You could open a support ticket with Unicomp, ask them if they could do a set with the legends centered.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 February 2015, 18:54:18 »
My volume keys are just right, but my Windows keys are high and to the right.

It is like they are shooting at a moving target. Sometimes hit, sometimes miss.

I love Unicomp and feel that they are an exceptional company in terms of customer service, but my pearl/pebble "Green Alert" set with green legends was all over the map.

Unicomp is like a box of chocolates.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 February 2015, 11:54:13 »
Unicomp is like a box of chocolates.

The company is run by Forrest Gumps.

nice people

but not the brightest bulbs in the room
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:47:32 »
I was kind of disappointed with the replacement key I ordered for one of my Model Ms also.  It wasn't even close to looking original.  The RGB modifiers I got at the same time were perfect though.  I guess it's just hit and miss.  I would definitely contact them though, because those don't look right at all.

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:55:13 »
I recently got a RGB set from Unicomp for my SSK, the shift keys showed up with two very different shades of green. I contacted support, who were very responsive, but their answer was "that is how we make them". That seemed like a terrible answer, but they assured me that even if I got a replacement the shift keys would still be different shades of green. I opted to keep them rather than return, but I can't say I was impressed with the quality control.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline dante

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 21:58:56 »
I blame it on the Kentucky Bourbon.  Maybe they were made on a Monday or Friday. :D

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 February 2015, 22:13:17 »
My take on this.  I've ordered a set and got a set.  Some things are definitely off-center.  However if thats how it is thats how it is.  Caps are still high quality and you can't beat the price or customer service.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline ConiKost

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 07:48:01 »
In the meantime, I've got a replacement set, which is much better alligned :)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 17:51:45 »
Yeah, unfortunately their quality's not dependable. The example caps are notably more consistent. You'd think that since they were doing something so specialized, even esoteric, they'd have higher standards.

A friend of mine ordered an Ultra Classic KB from them earlier this year that looked so good I ordered one too. When it arrived, I was disappointed to find that all of the text legends were indistinct and over-bold. It really looked amateurish; I never saw work like that on any KB. So regretfully, I returned it, and found and cleaned up a mid-'90s Lexmark instead, which looks vastly better.

All told, your caps look pretty good to me. The symbols are clear enough; there's just a bit of variation in the placement. If you're not demanding perfection (which is unrealistic anyway, with these people), they're fine IMHO.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 01:38:10 »
My set look pretty much like yours individually, but I have them next to each other in a set of three and I think just because of that they look better as a group.

mine go

Back-play/pause-forward

Sound down-mute-sound up