Author Topic: Bingecap Therapy  (Read 71767 times)

Offline Belfong

Re: bingecap therapy thread
« Reply #150 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:23:44 »
I was happy when I added two to the cart but the check out process timed out.. and I keep on F5ing and by the time I got through, the caps are not available!!!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #151 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:25:22 »
Did any orders actually get through? Every time I manage to successfully view the In-Stock page, what's available is always the same.

Edit: Nevermind, guess so.  :P

I think I've noticed if it's actually in stock on that page, the little button will say add to cart. Else, it will say read more.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #152 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:25:30 »
I give up. If there are any left in an hour I'll grab one.
Good luck eveyone else!
Ha! I tricked you all into leaving and got me a Purple Haze Keythulhu v2! My evil plan worked!

Offline KebinPls

• OK
    • Insta
« Reply #153 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:27:17 »
I was there at exactly 6 pm. Took me 36 refreshes, I counted, to access my cart. Took 22 more to be able to finally check out, only to be told that there are no more. No offense to you binge, this is just me venting, but this whole keycap luck game is ****ing stupid. I have been on my computer since 5 ****ing pm, got on at exactly the right time only to be denied my purchase because other people got luckier. Has happened to me before with other bingecaps, has happened with brobots in the toxic buy, I think I'm done. I'll just wait for caps on the classifieds from now on because gettng the **** end of the stick when waiting patiently and being perfectly on time for something simply is just too infuriating.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:30:01 »
I was there at exactly 6 pm. Took me 36 refreshes, I counted, to access my cart. Took 22 more to be able to finally check out, only to be told that there are no more. No offense to you binge, this is just me venting, but this whole keycap luck game is ****ing stupid. I have been on my computer since 5 ****ing pm, got on at exactly the right time only to be denied my purchase because other people got luckier. Has happened to me before with other bingecaps, has happened with brobots in the toxic buy, I think I'm done. I'll just wait for caps on the classifieds from now on because gettng the **** end of the stick when waiting patiently and being perfectly on time for something simply is just too infuriating.
I know that feel. During the KBK sale yesterday I left class early to grab some, sat at my computer for 30 min prior, sent in my post 4 seconds after 12 and all the keycaps  I wanted were already claimed. It really sucks! >:D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:32:20 »
I didn't count the number of refreshes, but after it added the duo pack to my cart I was deadset on getting to checkout. It probably didn't take more than 10-20 seconds, but it felt like an eternity in GH sales time.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:34:39 »

It has been my experience that you should start a thread begging for bingecaps, whining to everyone about your woes of trying to get caps. The makers respond to this kind of thing, and you will get caps.

Offline Noko

• jolonarr: a tough dude who takes no esses!
  • * Maker
    • Noko's Leatherworks
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:37:57 »
Nice, mine got through!
I think I'm lucky the one I wanted was far down the page :P
Noko's Leatherworks - Handmade Custom Leather Wrist Rests -  http://www.noko.ca

Sales Thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51762.0
Build Log: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47704.0

Offline KebinPls

• OK
    • Insta
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:41:43 »

It has been my experience that you should start a thread begging for bingecaps, whining to everyone about your woes of trying to get caps. The makers respond to this kind of thing, and you will get caps.

I'd rather not.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:49:35 by iKevinFtw »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:41:47 »
Congrats to everyone who got some new Bingecaps! I unfortunately wasn't around to partake in the shenanigans, but it sounds like it was a BLAST!

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:44:00 »
I feel extremely lucky that I got through after ~30 mins, countless refreshes and four or five failed attempts to check out.... my very first bingecap!

This is a lot like buying craft beer, with websites just melting under the pressure of hungry purchasers - anyone ever consider using a service like Brown Paper Tickets for these kind of sales? All the breweries I've picked up special releases from either A.) use Brown Paper Tickets and go off without a hitch or B.) don't use BPT and the site explodes while thousands of angry customers smash their F5 keys and everyone wastes hours trying to checkout.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #161 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:48:39 »
Congrats to everyone who got some new Bingecaps! I unfortunately wasn't around to partake in the shenanigans, but it sounds like it was a BLAST!

I can assure you that fighting that gator is no fun sir.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #162 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:50:12 »

You could say it was a HOOT ;)
sell out and eat ass

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:51:44 »

You could say it was a HOOT ;)

Offline Belfong

« Reply #164 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:52:04 »
Come on Kevin.. 5pm and you complained. I had to get out bed at 5AM! Wait an hour 6AM and face the Gator!

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:53:54 »

It's entirely understandable.  I mean you can imagine my reaction... SUPER pissed calling up hostgator to ask why their suggestions to fix the problem were failing, and the guy had the audacity to say "oh well we figured it wouldn't work but it was worth a shot, you should upgrade for +$100/mo."
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:55:00 »

more like iKevinFTL amirite

I think I'm done. I'll just wait for caps on the classifieds from now on because gettng the **** end of the stick when waiting patiently and being perfectly on time for something simply is just too infuriating.

works for dustin!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:55:09 »

It's entirely understandable.  I mean you can imagine my reaction... SUPER pissed calling up hostgator to ask why their suggestions to fix the problem were failing, and the guy had the audacity to say "oh well we figured it wouldn't work but it was worth a shot, you should upgrade for +$100/mo."
That's a pretty **** response.
EDIT: The hostgator guy, not you Binge. ;D

Offline KebinPls

• OK
    • Insta
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 17:59:11 »

That SUCKS  :eek:

I wouldn't pay that much either just for a couple of sales. Your profits would go to the monthly payments. I've calmed down a bit, not so bitter anymore.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 18:19:29 »

Ohhh, is your website we host not working? Ohhh that's a shame. Have you tried upgrading to out secret platnium plus package? Mmmmmmm

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #170 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 18:53:16 »

I wouldn't pay that much either just for a couple of sales. Your profits would go to the monthly payments. I've calmed down a bit, not so bitter anymore.

Time to search for another solution amIrite?

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #171 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 19:02:12 »

Time to search for another solution amIrite?
I use Square Space, but I've never dealt with massive amounts of traffic, so I can't really comment on that.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #172 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 19:10:43 »
I'm checking out that option and a nice VPS which was referred to me by a colleague.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #173 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 19:15:06 »
Bunny's CTRL Alt was holding out pretty well. Maybe you can also check with him or codeyeatworld, Binge?

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #174 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 19:32:17 »
Had a keythulu in cart but realized it was MX and not topre, so I removed it. Congrats to all who were able to make it through.
RETIRED

Offline Dyslexic

• All we love we leave behind
« Reply #175 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 19:50:20 »
Nevermind, got a follow up email. thanks!
| HHKB Type-S | FC660C Silenced | ReΛlforce 23UB

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 19:55:44 »
Bunny's CTRL Alt was holding out pretty well. Maybe you can also check with him or codeyeatworld, Binge?

ctrlalt.io is a custom site built by Cody and hosted on DigitalOcean. One of the benefits of these kinds of hosting solutions is that they're "elastic" – you run your site on virtual hardware, which means you can allocate more resources if you're expecting a burst of traffic. This means you can handle things well like the Toxic GB launch without paying an arm and a leg for hardware you're not using except during those peak hours.

Binge, I'd recommend searching for a solution with this capability. I expect your site is relatively low traffic except on sale days, so your needs fit this model quite well.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #177 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 19:57:18 »
My flight landed a few minutes after the sale started, I got to grab what I really wanted which was the Egyptian Swag Lion Keyng!! woohoooo

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #178 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 20:02:23 »
My flight landed a few minutes after the sale started, I got to grab what I really wanted which was the Egyptian Swag Lion Keyng!! woohoooo
You will not be disappointed with the Egyptian Swag. I got an Egyptian Swag Keythulhu a little while back, and the colours are fantastic. It's my favourite Binge cap, and second favourite keycap.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #179 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 20:02:36 »
Digi, you are extremely lucky. Congrats!!

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #180 on: Fri, 04 April 2014, 20:14:27 »
@Vibex - that's awesome! I really like this color scheme that Mr. Bingie pulled off!
@Belfong - yea, i thought i would have no chances at it, especially on the 4g network from my phone in an airport, lol.

Gator Hater strikes again!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 02:26:15 »
Have I missed another sale?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 03:13:36 »
Have I missed another sale?

you missed a lot of this guy...

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 04:39:56 »
Got a very very sky blue and evil jade in my cart, checked out and paid and went to bed with a smile on my face.
But that ****ing gator snatched away my very very blue in the dark of night.

Offline Belfong

« Reply #184 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 04:48:56 »
Got a very very sky blue and evil jade in my cart, checked out and paid and went to bed with a smile on my face.
But that ****ing gator snatched away my very very blue in the dark of night.

Show Image

Karma, maybe :)

edit: i should clarify that what i meant is that these stuff happens, and i blame karma!
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 April 2014, 05:00:06 by Belfong »

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 05:02:40 »
But I've been such a good good boy :-(

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #186 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 10:11:20 »

I'm really embarrassed with this happening all over again.  It started happening heavily last sale and now this.  I just expanded beyond my means, and this next one needs to go flawlessly or I'm just going to sell on Amazon or something.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #187 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 10:17:16 »

I'm really embarrassed with this happening all over again.  It started happening heavily last sale and now this.  I just expanded beyond my means, and this next one needs to go flawlessly or I'm just going to sell on Amazon or something.

Have you considered the clickclack/Bro Caps sale model of just using an email address and doing manual invoicing? There's of course a chance that you may start selling in significantly higher volumes, but given your current volume it seems like manual invoicing would be easier. Your site could still be used as an archive of your work and less popular items could be put up there if they don't sell immediately when released.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #188 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 11:04:04 »

Have you considered the clickclack/Bro Caps sale model of just using an email address and doing manual invoicing? There's of course a chance that you may start selling in significantly higher volumes, but given your current volume it seems like manual invoicing would be easier. Your site could still be used as an archive of your work and less popular items could be put up there if they don't sell immediately when released.

I've considered scaling back, but then it would be more challenging in different ways.  That doesn't really solve the issue as far as I'm concerned.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #189 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 11:11:10 »

I've considered scaling back, but then it would be more challenging in different ways.  That doesn't really solve the issue as far as I'm concerned.

Hmm, I suppose I was thinking of "scaling" in a different sense. Demand for your caps is way higher than your supply (and deservedly so!) – what you're very good at is making caps, not managing web servers :P. Using something that is already "at scale" like email means that you never have to worry about your site being eaten by a gator, which lets you allocate more of your time towards the stuff you love, which I'll presume is making keycaps.

But I'm not in your head, so I'm sure there are a lot of things you're thinking of that I've not considered!

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #190 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 11:45:15 »
For everything the gator eats, the back-end of my website saves me and the customers that much more time.

There's a reason the GB folks are moving towards websites to handle multiple orders.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #191 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 11:56:43 »
Maybe contact Cody and work out a new site ;) I'd love to help but unfortunately I'm not as experienced in E Commerce as him.. :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #192 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 16:04:42 »
I felt like the set up was fine, it's your provider that sucks. I always like the first come first serve model vs the email model simply because it requires a little effort, and you can't set up a bot to do it for you.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #193 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 13:56:30 »
People are going to be in for a treat when they open their boxes,

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:13:15 »

Show Image

I hate when you and Hipster punk do this! I now just have empty boxes with awesome drawings on them that I can't through out. What am I supposed to do with them! >:D
But for real, really cool art (especially on that index card you sent me). I wish I had continued with art. I used to be fairly good, but now I just do lazy doodles over my notes and don't work on any cool pieces. Maybe one day I'll start up again. :D

Offline KebinPls

• OK
    • Insta
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 15:36:19 »

Show Image

Oh man, even sadder that I couldn't buy mine. Any idea when the next set will be out? Also, will you be selling defect keycaps again?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #196 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 16:01:37 »

Show Image

Oh man, even sadder that I couldn't buy mine. Any idea when the next set will be out? Also, will you be selling defect keycaps again?

Good questions, I'll do my best to answer all of them as well as possible.

Factory 2nds are much more different than defects.  Defects are missing parts of the key.  Factory 2nds have flaws which do not affect the function of the key.  I don't make a lot of 2nds.  They are usually either what they are supposed to be or defective.  If more 2nds happen I will sell them, but that's not something I plan.

Bingecap sales are a once-twice a month sort of arrangement.  We try our hardest to get our primary jobs done, eat properly, and pay the bills so we can make more keys in whatever time is left.  Sometimes we really don't have the energy to get a lot done and it gets put off until we can manage.

For the least effort on your part you can subscribe to a newsletter for updates to the website.  48 hours prior to most sales the announcement is made, and we make sure the products are loaded and ready to go.

I hope this gives you some peace of mind :)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #197 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 16:26:23 »

Show Image

awww, he's so sleepy. Who's a sleepy man? Is it you?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 18:54:24 »

pump it up guiez!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #199 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 19:05:14 »
Mr Binge, pray tell why you show this awesome stuff in the therapy thread? This thread is for people who didn't get dibs on binge. You are rubbing salt on wound :p