Author Topic: Bingecap Therapy  (Read 71896 times)

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
Re: Bingecap Therapy
« Reply #450 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 13:56:57 »
Moved my schedule around to be here at noon, tried until 1230, tried again later on mobile, got a green Keythulhu cap in the cart, took so long to check out it was gone. Disappointed.

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #451 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 14:04:26 »
Moved my schedule around to be here at noon, tried until 1230, tried again later on mobile, got a green Keythulhu cap in the cart, took so long to check out it was gone. Disappointed.
Agreed. It would be one thing if the sale was unannounced and I missed it, or if I lost the race fair and square. But this way is just too frustrating.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #452 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 14:06:25 »
Yea its a bummer. I'm not complaining, just disappointed. Congrats to the Bingeman for a firestorm of a sell, that's a good problem to have  :thumb:

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #453 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 14:08:26 »
Took my 15 min smoke break at 1155 realized what was going on. Said screw it not going back in I'll give it 10-15 and try again nope still down. Now I'm on my lunch and missed it ..... Screw it I realized I have a problem when I can hear my boss yelling my name out the back door and I'm hiding behind the trash can in snowy freezing weather refreshing a page on my cell phone like a mad woman 8) oh well .....  :eek: I'm kind of sad but as soon as I heard the voice mail this morning from my boss I knew I was probaly screwed anyways OH THE HUMANITY lol no congrats everybody that got one  :thumb:
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #454 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 14:18:56 »
Now I'm even more thankful for the Keythulhu I got.. I go out of town for one day and miss TWO sales, this one and Nub's :o

Nubs had a sale too? Dang!!

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #455 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 16:48:28 »
Now I'm even more thankful for the Keythulhu I got.. I go out of town for one day and miss TWO sales, this one and Nub's :o

Nubs had a sale too? Dang!!

Yea... I missed a **** load this weekend :(. At least I've got some B-Stocks to keep me comfortable for now...

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! G-MAIL PUT THE EMAIL ALERT IN MY SPAM FOLDER >.<. God, I ****ing hate Google so much... for many reasons, but this one just adds icing on to the cake. God damn incompetent fools over at Google...

Well, super pumped for the next one. Won't be missing that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 March 2015, 16:52:55 by hjc1710 »
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Granite | Skull Squadron | Deep Space | Raindrop R2 | Hyperfuse GMK (soon...)

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #456 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 17:30:13 »
Agreed. It would be one thing if the sale was unannounced and I missed it, or if I lost the race fair and square. But this way is just too frustrating.

This was the last thing I wanted to have happen.  Right now I'm still working on making sure that the payment gateway processed payments correctly.. there are orders on my site that read cancelled and were paid for in the middle of the site being unable to write data to itself due to the traffic.

The criticism is hard right now with how hard I was on myself, my host, and everyone who took part in this sale.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #457 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 17:36:21 »
Congrats on having a much higher demand then supply, you should be stoked your artwork is so popular! Logistics will work themselves out eventually.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #458 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 17:55:27 »
As someone who works at a software company which deals with payment processing glitches fairly regularly, I feel your pain Binge. Halfway-complete transactions are a serious pain to sift through, and I can only imagine it's worse when you're working with (what I presume is) an ecommerce solution you didn't write.

Regardless, I echo Psybin, you shouldn't be so hard on yourself and more stoked at the popularity of what you're doing! It's very difficult to plan completely for these things, IMO the only halfway foolproof way is to leverage someone else's infrastructure that has a more consistent scaling demands (see Clack, others using email, Bro and CtrlAlt) and therefore support.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #459 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 17:56:36 »
Congrats to everyone, especially first timers who got in. Unfortunately, I was unable to, but that's okay.

Dem colors doe

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #460 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 17:59:25 »
Congrats on having a much higher demand then supply, you should be stoked your artwork is so popular! Logistics will work themselves out eventually.

Congratulations also on having a rapidly expanding therapy thread ;)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #461 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:06:40 »
The criticism is hard right now with how hard I was on myself, my host, and everyone who took part in this sale.

I don't think the criticism is aimed at you Binge, at least it shouldn't be.

Gator sucked so you moved host and had two successful sales so it's very strange that it didn't go the same way today.  I would not have liked to be the person on the hosting company's helpline...

Unless you're going to make enough caps for everyone (not possible) most people are going to miss out and today's sale showcased a new way to decide who got lucky - people need to think of it as a host based RNG.

I would say it's the most fun sale format, it's just a shame that from your side it's not so good :(
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #462 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:12:12 »

Gator sucked so you moved host and had two successful sales so it's very strange that it didn't go the same way today.  I would not have liked to be the person on the hosting company's helpline...

Unless you're going to make enough caps for everyone (not possible) most people are going to miss out and today's sale showcased a new way to decide who got lucky - people need to think of it as a host based RNG.

I would say it's the most fun sale format, it's just a shame that from your side it's not so good :(
It didn't work this time due to the sheer amount of people refreshing, which in return sends a bunch of requests for information, and I am sure people had more than 1 window open refreshing, so there were probably at least 100 requests at any given time requesting information from Binge's site, which creates an unintentional DDoS. No one could have predicted it.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #463 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:12:59 »

My OG idea was a text based adventure game full of jokes which ended in checkout.  It never panned out.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #464 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:13:19 »
Whoops, missed a sale.

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #465 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:16:00 »

My OG idea was a text based adventure game full of jokes which ended in checkout.  It never panned out.
That would have been fun!

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #466 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:17:13 »

This was the last thing I wanted to have happen.  Right now I'm still working on making sure that the payment gateway processed payments correctly.. there are orders on my site that read cancelled and were paid for in the middle of the site being unable to write data to itself due to the traffic.

<3

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #467 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:18:45 »

While that would have been even more fun it would have made even more requests for the server to handle so it's probably good that it didn't happen!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #468 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:18:47 »
Over a year of gator battles have left me war torn and beat down, binge please more sales for the AWOLs!
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #469 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:20:27 »

That would be awesome.  You should definitely do it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #470 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:29:20 »
Whoops, missed a sale.

Welcome to the club :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline KatzenKinder

• * Maker
« Reply #471 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:29:48 »

Whoops, missed a sale.

Welcome to the club :))

Depressing club to be in -.-

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #472 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:33:20 »

Please, never do that, I wouldn't be able to blame servers or internet speed - only myself  :-[.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #473 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:35:53 »

ok now that is an awesome idea ^-^
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #474 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 19:40:30 »

Sorry for coming across as critical. I wasn't really thinking about you seeing it and taking it that way, but you're right, that sounds like a straight up complaint. I was just frustrated that I missed this.

If I can offer a word of encouragement, a lot of people got new caps today. You sold everything you listed. And the only problems that occurred are solely the result of your products' popularity. That sounds like a huge success.

So again, sorry for sounding critical. Keep making awesome stuff and one day I'll land myself a Keythulhu.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #475 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 20:39:29 »
:|  Not so great luck for me with recent sales!  I haven't bought a Bingecap in ages, between Keycon and this.  :( 

That said, I'm really glad that some great people were able to get the awesome caps available today.  :D  And don't beat yourself up Binge, this was outside of your control, and as njbair and others have said is only proof of the popularity of your product - which is a good thing.  :)

Also, the reason I wasn't able to participate post-server issues is because I got a surprise visit from my sister, niece, and nephew, which (sorry Binge!) is much better, so it's all good.   ;D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #476 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 20:42:54 »
Binge just put the caps on eBay and let the sky be the limit. :eek:

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #477 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:28:46 »
The mountain of support you guys are pushing me to is used to better handle the criticisms that are all around.

I'm probably the worst of everyone here.

People should already have started to see their orders complete, and tips e-mails have been responded to in turn.

Two things I wanted to address here.

1) This isn't a show that I need to raise prices.  I am a full time hobbyist artisan who doesn't really know how to expand without making the outcome a detriment to the purpose and to the customers.  Cost should never be the point of compromise for demand when it comes to a standard piece of work.  The money coming per keycap is sufficient for the product that it is.

2) eBay would ruin what it is to be Bingecap.  I started out on the good grace of others.  Spamray was one of the first people to support me in what I am continuing to do here and away from GH.  To pit my supporters against each other by value of dollar is to ignore the good virtue that allowed me to start doing this.  As stated above the keys are worth what they are for a good reason.

Heartfelt thanks to everyone involved in making the sale happen and for continue to have the patience to deal with minor delays, site explosions, and the ramblings of some guy who draws on packages.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #478 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 21:46:12 »
Sorry for the crap I posted earlier, it was immature.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #479 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 22:29:27 »
The mountain of support you guys are pushing me to is used to better handle the criticisms that are all around.

People should already have started to see their orders complete, and tips e-mails have been responded to in turn.

1) This isn't a show that I need to raise prices.  I am a full time hobbyist artisan who doesn't really know how to expand without making the outcome a detriment to the purpose and to the customers.  Cost should never be the point of compromise for demand when it comes to a standard piece of work.  The money coming per keycap is sufficient for the product that it is.

2) eBay would ruin what it is to be Bingecap.  I started out on the good grace of others.  Spamray was one of the first people to support me in what I am continuing to do here and away from GH.  To pit my supporters against each other by value of dollar is to ignore the good virtue that allowed me to start doing this.  As stated above the keys are worth what they are for a good reason.

Heartfelt thanks to everyone involved in making the sale happen and for continue to have the patience to deal with minor delays, site explosions, and the ramblings of some guy who draws on packages.

Re: growing pains and not knowing how to expand, have you considered a made-to-order service?

I imagine a website where you could choose your own colors, at least for the basic stuff, order at any time, and the price is determined by whatever factors weigh in...so if certain pigments are more error-prone, those colors cost more, etc. It would help level out demand over time and it might even give you insight into which colors and combinations are the most popular.

You would still be free to experiment, of course, and have flash sales etc. but the made-to-order bit could maybe sustain a steady return over time.

My boards:
More

Offline calvinhousecat

« Reply #480 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 22:35:33 »
Didn't get a cap but copped me a CMYW set

Offline dimmu

« Reply #481 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 22:51:43 »
i was able to snag a deep sea orc. this will be my first bingecap, can't wait! next target, brobots and clacks.

yeah right...

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #482 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 23:16:43 »

Re: growing pains and not knowing how to expand, have you considered a made-to-order service?

I imagine a website where you could choose your own colors, at least for the basic stuff, order at any time, and the price is determined by whatever factors weigh in...so if certain pigments are more error-prone, those colors cost more, etc. It would help level out demand over time and it might even give you insight into which colors and combinations are the most popular.

You would still be free to experiment, of course, and have flash sales etc. but the made-to-order bit could maybe sustain a steady return over time.

I have a lot of concerns with what you're proposing.

1) Made to order items would create a back-log of work and put me in a position to complete the work regardless of my home/work situation. 
2) I would be concerned it would remove my ability to experiment.  This is very very very very very time consuming.
3) The material waste would be astronomical in comparison to what I do now and in turn increase the cost per key.
4) I would have to adopt a group-buy sort of system to reduce the cost of waste, but if combined orders aren't coming in, or are too high of a volume... I'd get burnt out.  Again.

To adequately provide volume is something that will have to come with personal expansion into the craft.  These aren't new issues, nor are they reason for me to give up, but I do realize especially with the string of complaints present  with the volume of my sale and momentary outage of a site I pieced together on my own are legitimate and will eventually not be tolerated.   At that point I will either have to step away from this or go full retard.

Offline slickmamba

« Reply #483 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 23:21:07 »

1) Made to order items would create a back-log of work and put me in a position to complete the work regardless of my home/work situation. 
2) I would be concerned it would remove my ability to experiment.  This is very very very very very time consuming.
3) The material waste would be astronomical in comparison to what I do now and in turn increase the cost per key.
4) I would have to adopt a group-buy sort of system to reduce the cost of waste, but if combined orders aren't coming in, or are too high of a volume... I'd get burnt out.  Again.

To adequately provide volume is something that will have to come with personal expansion into the craft.  These aren't new issues, nor are they reason for me to give up, but I do realize especially with the string of complaints present  with the volume of my sale and momentary outage of a site I pieced together on my own are legitimate and will eventually not be tolerated.   At that point I will either have to step away from this or go full retard.

I say have a mission for what you do.  If it doesn't fit your vision of what you want, don't do it.  Simple as that. 
Hi :)

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #484 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 23:27:37 »
I think as an artist, Binge creates what he wants to create. He can have fun experimenting and creating whatever cool ideas that he has. If he isn't inspired and creating what he wants too, then it is just a regular job that anyone could be doing.. Just my thought on it.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #485 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 23:31:35 »
Wasn't able to get the website to work, but congrats to all who got something and congrats to Binge for getting such a huge amount of interest!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #486 on: Sun, 22 March 2015, 23:39:55 »

Keep doing it the way that feels right to you!  We will continue to enjoy  seeing your experiments and take what caps you make available ;)  The best part about your caps is the love for the art you put into making them

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #487 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 06:36:33 »

The best part about your caps is the love for the art you put into making them

This I think for me is why I'm so bummed not to be able to get one.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #488 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 07:48:42 »

It seems like, based on what I've gathered, that single colors are faster, and making multiple caps in the same color decreases overhead and waste. So maybe that's at least a short term answer to your volume problem. Solid colors that are easier and cheaper for you will probably move just as quickly as the super complex ones. And they get caps in people's hands at a reasonable price. And then charge a premium for the obviously more complicated experimental ones like a quad-color orc. That's not price gouging, it's just charging what you're worth.

Think of it like the basic ones are your standard product line, amortizing overhead costs and paying the bills. They afford you the chance to work on new designs and really express yourself that way.

The technical issue of web traffic seems like a simpler problem to solve. Just pay Shopify or Volusion to handle ecommerce for you. Since they're hosting thousands of small stores like yours, they have the infrastructure to handle traffic spikes. Then keep your website as your keycap archive, or portfolio.

Anyway, if my suggestions aren't helpful or if I'm being nosy just tell me to shut up.

My boards:
More

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #489 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 08:49:03 »
I keep forgetting that one day, the V2's reign shall end and we will be graced with the V3 design, never too (presumably) see a new V2 again.

Someone hold me, change is scary  :'(

I'll hold you  ;D Don't loose hope, Bro will give you the chance to get one. I felt the same for a long time and now I have 2 of them, one being a cool BS Blood Pact, so never loose hope  :thumb:
I have Bros,I'm just grieving selfishly.  :))

I really am curious on what the design will be.

Bender is the model for the next design, called it.
Show Image

Thanks binge for putting all of this together and hopefully your not being too hard on yourself or taking anything personally. You stated in your emails that it was a small batch of caps and as has been previously stated the reason this was such an issue is because of how many people love and want your art! I don't know much about the logistics or processes involved in even putting together something like this. You obviously put alot of time and work into this and I appreciate that. Hopefully this does not dampen your spirits or enthusiasm for the art/craft/hobby and I truly believe any negative posts were just from people frustrated they couldn't get a cap! Thank you for all that you do that I and most likely most people don't even know or think about. Those were some beautiful keys and I am truly happy for the people who were lucky enough to snag one. Keep letting your freak flag fly man I <3 it!
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 March 2015, 08:50:40 by Sed8op8 »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #490 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 13:14:08 »
It seems like, based on what I've gathered, that single colors are faster, and making multiple caps in the same color decreases overhead and waste. So maybe that's at least a short term answer to your volume problem. Solid colors that are easier and cheaper for you will probably move just as quickly as the super complex ones. And they get caps in people's hands at a reasonable price. And then charge a premium for the obviously more complicated experimental ones like a quad-color orc. That's not price gouging, it's just charging what you're worth.

Think of it like the basic ones are your standard product line, amortizing overhead costs and paying the bills. They afford you the chance to work on new designs and really express yourself that way.

The technical issue of web traffic seems like a simpler problem to solve. Just pay Shopify or Volusion to handle ecommerce for you. Since they're hosting thousands of small stores like yours, they have the infrastructure to handle traffic spikes. Then keep your website as your keycap archive, or portfolio.

Anyway, if my suggestions aren't helpful or if I'm being nosy just tell me to shut up.

I'd never flat out ask someone who's so interested in helping me to shut up.  There are parts of this that people do not consider which make this a complicated problem.

1) Doing small production runs I can't keep paying people/services to do things for me or I'm going to end up getting shafted.
-Yep!  It's hurt in the past and it'll keep hurting the more I purchase services to take the work off of my own shoulders.  My resources need to work and they aren't always bad resources.

2) Made to order keys are not a good idea on a small scale.  It wraps up too much time in the process which is already lengthy.  If I make one made to order key... I have to make 8-12 attempts of that color in whatever molds I have clean/available to make it worth the material waste.

3) The time it takes to make keys and maintain/make/clean molds.  Minimum half hour for just cleaning the molds thoroughly enough to do the next run.  The molds then need to dry/be dried and then coated again for another casting.  Depending on how dedicated I am to sitting and waiting.  This process can take an hour.  Then mixing the color, degasing, final mixture, 2nd degas, pressurize, and waiting for the keys to set takes between 3 and 7 hours.

Everything I'm doing now has been a result of trying the alternatives and those alternative solutions failing due to my inadequacy or that of a product/service meant to alleviate me of responsibility.  I'm looking for unicorns here man.  Ways to make everything work without adding additional time/resources into the mix are preferable.  If I have 15 minutes dedicated to X,Y,Z task, I only have 15 minutes to spare for L, M, N solutions to replace the tasks.  You see?  Maxxed out.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 March 2015, 13:35:28 by Binge »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #491 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 21:40:12 »
People posting cool Keythulhus in the media thread.  :(
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #492 on: Thu, 26 March 2015, 22:21:37 »
Keythulhu comes in so many amazing colors.. I love the one I have, but there are a whole world of Keythulhus out there waiting to take over my keyboard!