Author Topic: [Giveaway] Brobot V1s (done)  (Read 18458 times)

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
[Giveaway] Brobot V1s (done)
« on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 02:16:08 »
[Giveaway] Brobot V1s

- Before the starting stroy, I`m not good at english(specially long-term english). -

Hello, Bros. I am Big fan of Brocaps from korea.
I will share this BBv1 caps. This caps are early works of Brocaps and i got from him as $+gift.

Some story about my keyboard hobby.
Actually, I had plan to collect BBv1. i thoguht collecting novelty caps of keyboard hobby is one of fun.
On second thought, i joined geekhack community for sharing korean good things to worldwide.
I am fall in Novelty caps and lose my first intention.

Somehow i making orange, toxic dream, but my reputation feels bad in mind.
Most trade and deal was nice, but some few troubles with premium price (my ignore list tell me that) and DrugER friend.
But i am Okay. Everythings show and He was swindler.

i was tired and while lurking keyboarding and stopped these collecting, nowon, i think sharing these good things is better than personal satisfaction.

Anyway, i like these geekhack i want to share my litte things.

Let's get to the point.
I dont know these caps actual name. So I named as number.
edit : All caps are for cherry MX switches.
Rule is simple.
- Reply with your story about first step of keyboard hobby(geekhack). (not have to long story)
- Two caps per one person.(Totally,three users get two caps)
 > changed : 1 cap per person (reason of huge participation)
- I will choose random(color also random)
- Winner will get PM and should pay shipping fee.(EMS post service)
- Deadline : 16th July

I hope guys enjoy this giveaway and chance to think back your original intention of keyboard hobby and passion.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Winners (cap number on pic - new owner for next sharing.)
1 - MrexD
2 - fuzzybaffy
3 - Vibex
4 - HUNTERANGEL121
5 - katushkin
6 - infiniti

i will send pm to winners for shipping. After all shipping pay is done, i will shot all package on one day.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 22:26:40 by leesofi »

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Re: [Giveaway] Brobot V1s
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 02:22:05 »
Wow what an awesome giveaway, very generous!

My story started a little over a year ago, had bought my first mech a few months earlier and wanted to dress it up with some nice caps. After some searching around I discovered the Toxic group buy and signed up! Never did wind up with a set of Toxic keys but this place has been draining my wallet ever since. Between Bros, Clacks and GMK GB's I don't think it will ever be safe again hahaha
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 02:23:54 »
Wow what an awesome giveaway, very generous!

My story started a little over a year ago, had bought my first mech a few months earlier and wanted to dress it up with some nice caps. After some searching around I discovered the Toxic group buy and signed up! Never did wind up with a set of Toxic keys but this place has been draining my wallet ever since. Between Bros, Clacks and GMK GB's I don't think it will ever be safe again hahaha

haha, start was small but geekhack make our wallet empty.
Thanks your story.

Offline cphead

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 02:29:10 »
Appreciate what you are doing.

I came to GH looking to join group buys and maybe pick up a few novelty keys (haven't had much luck in that department, but we'll see  :p). My first GB was Ivan's failed GMK dark gray (rip). Later I developed an unhealthy obsession with custom keyboards. Since then I've learned a lot and enjoyed reading/sharing knowledge about keyboards in general. There's definitely a lot of great content buried on this site if you can dig it up.  :thumb:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 03:05:54 »
Whoa, this is very kind of you to host this generous V1 Geek Hack give a way good sir! You already know I admire these very much and drool over any of the colors you would choose. I would never sell or trade the cap and it would sit with my V1s in great company. I love these very much. I also love how much you post orange! Alright on to my story sir.   :cool:

I am a web designer and I use keyboards everyday for a long period. I always thought there was nothing wrong with my keyboards though. My fingers would start to get a bit sore..
I have always used rubberdome until a year ago when I finally figured, you know what, my keyboard feels quite odd and un responsive. There has to be a better way! So I researched keyboard top boards. All mechanical Cherry MX came up in Google search lists. Newegg was the top competitor for stores. So I figured hey I will give this a shot! I bought a Rosewill with brown switches since the switch sounded like I would enjoy it. Not too light not too loud. I really did enjoy the keyboard! Untill....  I found Geekhack in Google Search looking at Rosewill Mini USB future issues. I was HOOKED.. No joke right there when I say HOOKED! I seriously was on here 24/7 for a couple months straight.. People thought I was spamming but I simply could not peel my eyes away from the forum and I had soooo many posts that I wanted to reply to that I found! I ended up buying a HHKB Pro 2 and then went down the Topre path. I have gotten so many boards and caps since and made a TON of friends who I talk to quite frequent. I still to this day have been on the forum every single day and check it all the time. I love mechanical keyboards and it is my number 1 hobby ever since day one. :) Good luck to all, Bro Caps Bro Bot V1 is one of the most beautiful caps ever created.  Thanks for putting on this event!  :thumb:

Dustin
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:38:08 by dustinhxc »

Offline Distilled

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 03:08:30 »
Awesome giveaway. Super nice of you.

I first found GH a few years ago (2010) while looking to upgrade my old microsoft keyboard. I spent hours on here (mostly as a way of avoiding studying and writing papers) searching for the perfect keyboard. I finally settled with a MX brown Ducky. At the time I was only just able to justify the price and spend hours agonising over if it was worth it. Then I found groupbuys and the wallethack began. This was followed by the discovery of Artisan keys (clacks then bros) and finally recently customs. I now have 4 boards and am planing 3 more before the end of the year. Oh how reasonable my old ducky seems now!

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 03:30:33 »
Really appreciate you running this. :thumb:
I'd had a BlackWidow running mx blues at home for a few years. Recently I decided that I could stand the Apple scissor switch keyboards at work no longer. I found my way to reddit while looking for some information on quieter switches, and decided to start lurking here (almost in spite of certain people over there) a bit over a month ago. I'm slowly disappearing into a vortex of GBs and artisan caps and custom scratch builds, though as of yet I have none of these things ;)

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 04:46:44 »
thanks for telling nice storys. :)

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 05:01:51 »
Ive always wanted mechs, but the decision to jump into the mech crowed was basically set for me when I started to play osu! a rhythm game played with mouse or graphic tablet. Because the inputs are so quick (210+ bpm two key alternating) I needed a keyboard and a switch which would register high and reset consistantly. I got a mech for that reason. Before that, I always lurked on here because I wanted to get into mechs sort of like how people get into cars.. modifying their car and the like, but I didnt do enough typing or gaming to justify the purchase. Or.. I did, I just didnt know I did.

Now I will never look back. :3

Offline MrexD

• aka mrwoodyxd
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 05:06:13 »
Always wanted a little bro.

Can't remember when i first joined GH. Almost a year ago perhaps? The only reason I bought a mechanical keyboard in the first place was because my GF broke my Lycosa spacebar. If that hadn't have happened i wouldn't have bothered - I loved that keyboard!
However, being new and sticking to what I knew i bought a Blackwidow with Blues -- weren't too bad but way too loud. Then I started researching what i had gotten myself into - different switches, layouts etc.

Through a friend of a friend i managed to purchase a Noppoo Choc mini with reds and the rest is history. I joined GH just as the round of GMK purple mods GB had finished, managed to pick up some spares for my noppoo. Then purchased a Poker II with Reds, a 6GV2 with Blacks for work - sold the blackwidow in the process and now i'm customising these to be my own. Added LEDs to my poker which was cool. Added a bit of colour to all of my boards from the Tai Hao groupbuy as well. Now just looking for those unique additions.

Sorry for the essay! Thanks for the great giveaway
Pok3r MX CLears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 05:31:39 »
Very generous, thank you for this opportunity :)

I joined GH to try to find a replacement switch for an NEC APC-H4100E keyboard that I salvaged from work.  I am still looking.

But someone convinced me that MX blue would be similar, so I bought a Ducky Shine with MX blues and red backlighting.  I loved that keyboard - I still have it on my desk and use it for gaming, albeit with Nathan's Set on it.

At some stage I bought my first Clack.  My first set of custom keycaps.  Another Ducky Shine.  An HHKB.  More novelty keycaps.  A couple of Model M, which I cleaned up and still use (one of them, at least).

A few more keyboards, a few more Clacks, five or six sets from the first Tai Hao GB, and then I finally got my first BroBot V2.  And some more keyboards.

Now I have more posts than keycaps, few enough Clacks and BroBots V2 that you could count on two hands, but still no BroBot V1.

I never seem to have been in the right place at the right time to get a V1 BroBot, so I thank you again for this opportunity :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Toxic-i-

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 05:53:05 »
My Story is short. I search for the best mechanical keyboard. Found this Forum. Buy a keyboard. See what i can do with cherry MX caps. Search in this forum. Ohhhh Bro Caps. Ohhh CTRL Alt Team :) Ohhh Binge ..... Many Many Caps , but no chance to buy :( To much traffic on the sales ...
I have no Bro Bot Cap. I hope that someday I get a Bro Cap or 2 :)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:05:30 »
This is amazing! I've been dying to get a V1 Bro! Thank you so much for running this very generous giveaway, leesofi!

I found GeekHack when the ****ty HP rubber dome board I was using at work died and our PC dept. gave me a Dell KB113P rubber dome to replace it. The built in riser on the bottom of the case kept the keyboard on a permanent slant that had my wrists aching after 20 minutes. I started looking at finding a nice, high quality replacement and just happened to stumble on GeekHack. I saw Ivans groupbuy for the pitch black pbt set and it was downhill from there  :))

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:07:48 »
Cool thread, this is very kind of you!

My introduction to mechanical keyboards was due to two different factors. One was going back to college, the other was Everquest (which I had to retire from, not enough time).

I returned from a deployment and bought a new Asus gaming laptop. I used it as a laptop for the first month or so, then just docked it and used two external monitors. I used a cheap OEM keyboard from work and found that the weird key profile was causing me to misstype a lot while writing papers for school or playing/talking on EQ. I  pulled the trigger on a MX black full sized Filco Ninja. I loved that board but the heavier switches kept throwing me off. I then bought a MX red Nighthawk keyboard, but found those switches too light (and the case rubber coating sucks). I found Geekhack while researching the Ducky Shine 2.

Since finding wallet hack I bought the Shine 2, and have since sold it, the Filco, and Nighthawk, RF 55g, RF 104u, Leopold MX White, two CM Storms, and a Monoprice board. I've tried as many switches as I could, ultimatly wanting to daily drive every type of switch at some point. My normal use boards are a Code MX Green at work and Code MX White at home, and a MX Blue Ducky YOTS as back up. Nothing to me is as good as  thick PBT key set on some mx switches. My end game board is a full sized GON which I'm liquidating some gear and putting some money aside for some time this year.

Shortly after finding GH I came across the Artisan cap subculture and was quickly sucked in. Clacks and Bro V1s were before my time and nearly impossible to obtain, but I've snagged some GirlDC caps, many Gaskmask caps, Binges, and BroBots V2s (I keep failing at KBK cap sales). The chase is half the fun, keeping a tab open to the spy link all day, or seeing that counter go down to zero on a BroBot sale is such a rush (my heart thumps so hard I hear it in my ears), or checking my emails as soon as they hit my phone just incase its a GH alert!

I think ultimately what really sucked me in the most was the photography users post of their boards with artisan caps here. They are so aesthetically pleasing to my eye, I'm not sure what I like most, using my boards or looking at them. It reminds me of looking at some high end brakes of a sports car through the wheels, it’s the small details that make the biggest difference.

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:10:21 by Psybin »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:10:49 »
I was getting back into playing StarCraft competitively and was searching around for what equipment was was good at the time, and tried to find reasons why it was better than the DT-35 from PC Bangs. Stumbled upon a thread here, and then actively began researching about mechanical keyboards and why they are better. At that time, it had begun its growth in the eSports scene as well.

To this day I still haven't found a keyboard that proved to be better than the dt35. But I've had a lot of fun on the way.

My original intentions and passion for keyboards was to enjoy gaming! :D

감사합니다!
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:55:46 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:23:36 »
I remember very good when my now number one hobby started.

It was a cold winter day, and i was on a walk with our dog at the danube river. The river was frozen, and only a view people were outside. The sun was very low and made a great light. I was tired from the long walk and took a seat at a bench. I got bored, took the smartphone and thought i need a new keyboard for my battlestation at home. The days before i saw strange keyboards with 'big' keycaps posted on the internet (opposite to my beloved Apple Aluminum board), and wanted to buy a gamer keyboard. All of these keyboards were ugly, and so i ordered a Filco TKL. I ordered also a keycap set from WASD Keyboards. I was excited to get those caps, but when they arrived, i was disappointed, because of the cheap quality. So i registered at Geekhack and Deskthority to participate in group buys and learn more about these mechanical keyboards.

I even have a picture of this day...
More

Now a few months later i have 6 different keyboards, a lot of caps, switches, tools, but unfortunately no Brobot!
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:36:22 by madhias »
... ...

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:51:41 »
Very nice of you to host a giveaway like this. :)

Basically, I was tired of my multiple Razer Blackwidow 2013 Elite's breaking down, so I started Googling in search of a better keyboard. Previously I thought that the Blackwidow was a top notch keyboard of course. :)) Damn you pro gamers! I slowly noticed that every link I clicked on was a link to "Geekhack.org". After reading through some threads I decided to make an account. I was also browsing YouTube videos and stumbled upon WhiteFireDragon's channel... ever since that day I was hooked. :P
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 07:15:11 »
Awesome of you to give these away.

My story is just a few months in age. To back track I began saving to build my first custom pc about a year ago and back in January the build was finally finished and I was using a Logitech wireless unit that I was extremely unhappy with. A buddy of mine told me about "mechanical keyboards" and how they are awesome to type on, but I just couldn't justify $200 for a keyboard, one day though I stumbled upon a $70 QFR and purchased it. Ive loved it since I received it and absolutely love the customization aspect. I found Geekhack through searching fir custom keycap sets, the Toxic set is what made me signup. I never purchased Toxic (i dont like waiting .... lol), but so far ive spent entirely too much on keycaps and building wooden stuff. Ive dove head first into the mech life and my wallet is PO'd!

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 07:20:25 by tigersharkdude »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 07:39:18 »
It all started in late 2012 when my MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 would no longer register some keypresses.  I picked up a simple Logitech rubberdome to get by (still have it in my rotation as a reminder of simpler times :rolleyes:).

While on a trip in HK, I purchased a Ducky Shine II with white LEDs and brown switches.  Then I got into modifications, stickering, lubing, plasti-dip...and it ended up like this:

Then 2 modded QFRs and a sprit 60%...what's next?  I don't know. :confused:

I came for the keyboards (and the caps ^-^) but stayed for the community.  As a testament to this, I became part of the staff and now bug people to tag photos in the classifieds. :))

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 07:54:39 »
You are a good person, leesofi. Much respect for doing this.

It was about three years ago when I got my first mech, upgrading from a keyboard that just stopped working. I somehow stumbled on EliteKeyboards and took note of the models they were selling. Upon researching those models, I discovered Cherry MX switches and became very intrigued. I like cherry blues very much. :) I remember lurking on GH at the time, but only briefly. I bought my first Leopold from EK, full-size otaku with MX blue. Then, I ordered another Leopold board, tenkeyless otaku with MX brown just about a week later. Fast forward some time, until a few months ago when I wanted to see what upgrades I could do for my MX blue board, and I found GH  :thumb:. Now I have quite a few keyboards and related-projects. I love hanging out on GH. My wallet hates me for it, but hey, you can't take it to the grave with you. :p

Cheers!
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:07:44 »
I got into geekhack, I believe, back at around year 2010 (or 2011). Before I was introduced to geekhack, I surfed a different tech forum, and one of the guys suggested me to check out this forum.

At the time I was just looking for a replacement for a cheap rubberdome keyboard I had lying around, but a really good replacement. Little did I know at the time that there were such amazing keyboards as the Cherry MX-based keyboards (at the time it was mostly Filco), and the Topre keyboards. Now I own a 45-g Topre board, and a Filco, Cherry MX Brown board, most likely thanks to this site.

Back in 2010/2011 were some interesting days. That was when Cherry MX Reds were just becoming popular, and the Filco with MX Reds were going for a marked up $170. This was also before Coolermaster, Razer, Logitech, and all these other "gamer" companies started adopting Cherry MX switches. It's surprising to see how everything has all kind of blew up since then.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:24:36 »
I am a software developer and I spend pretty much all day in front of a computer.  I was working on my laptop keyboard for a long time, but I really wanted to use multiple monitors, so I put my laptop and my monitor on a stand so I could work on them both at eye level.  The only keyboard I had at the time was an Apple Aluminum and it was starting to get on my nerves.  It just didn't feel right and since I work so much on the computer, I just had to find something better.

In researching what I should get, I ran into geekhack.  I was basically just a lurker.  I did a lot of research on here and I may have even posted a couple questions, but for the most part I did not participate.  I got a lot of good information and I ended up purchasing a Filco (browns) and a QFR (blues).  After falling in love with my Filco, I starting coming back more to just see what else people talked about on GH.  Thats when the craziness began...

I am currently typing on a board I built with LEDs, sip sockets, lubed and stickered switches and custom springs in a case I designed and built myself.  I have the guts of 3-5 more keyboards on their way to me in some timeframe or another and I am basically building keyboards that I feel I might like to try them out. 

I have recently started buying some custom caps from Bro (something I swore I would never get into), so I need to keep myself reigned in a bit so I don't spend all my hard earned money.  :)

Thank you very much for the generosity and the chance for these wonderful caps.  Cheers...
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:26:36 by swill »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:35:25 »
Thank you so much for doing this giveaway, leesofi! You are a truly colorful person, and your presence here on Geekhack makes the forum more interesting by extension.

I have used mechanical keyboards for a sizable portion of my life, since I first got into computers in the days before rubber domes were a common keyboard technology. You can read more about my history with IBM Model M's here.

I went looking for a modern keyboard with some of the characteristics of my beloved Model Ms, and during my research, I found Geekhack in early 2012. I was immediately drawn to the breadth and depth of technical knowledge gathered here in one place. Not only that, but there was definitely a "frontier" spirit and DIY attitude that was pervasive on the forum at that time. If there was something that someone wanted, but that didn't exist or wasn't available yet, people made it themselves. I learned a lot about keyboards very quickly, and I have tried to pass on that knowledge to others. I am still learning, and still trying to pass on what I know. I have made some good friends here on Geekhack, and they are the reason I visit the forum often. I have spent too much time and money on this hobby, but it has rewarded me in so many ways.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:41:10 »
Before I even knew about mechanical keyboards, I was appalled by one of my friend's keyboards with backlighting and macro keys. I decided to look around for some keyboards that I would like.
I almost bought a membrane keyboard, however after I saw a video by LinusTechTips, I saw the beauty of mechanical keyboards and I fell into the rabbit hole that was mechanical keyboards.
I eventually ended up with a Corsair K90, and although it used non-standard keycaps and part of it was membrane I was very satisfied.
Right now however, I am using a Poker X that someone else modded with an SS backplate with clears and it feels great! Hopefully I will get into soldering my own keyboards once I get a soldering kit.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Belfong

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:11:43 »
Great giveaway! You have a big heart sir!

My first PC, 20 years ago, was a Acer 386. It came with a mechanical keyboard although at that time it was just a keyboard to me. Since then I have had many keyboards but I always go back to the Acer. I tried ThinkPad keyboards, Apple transparent keyboard, lots of rubber dome. But I always return to the Acer.

A year ago, in a gaming forum, I read about mech keyboards and that was then I realize that my good old Acer is a mech. I'm curious as to what switch it was and google it. Google took me to Geekhack and I posted a picture of my keyboard. The funny thing was, I posted it in the 'Post Your Clack' thread. Hey I don't know what is clack and in that thread people are posting photos of their keyboard. Needless to say I made a fool of myself and a mod move it to New Member.

I learned then that the Acer had an Alps. And so I was curious about MX switches and bought a Razer from a friend at $90. It was a great deal and it came with Blue. I know I love Blue because I love clicky switch (the Acer was clicky). I told that was it. My end game keyboard until I read about the Code Clear! My curiosity got better and I spent $150+$50 shipping on that keyboard. $200! I must be out of my mind.

Things got worse (or maybe now my perspective have reversed. Things are better).. I bought a HHKB and then a RealForce 55g. Sold off the Razer. Then started to buy BroBots, fall in love with those little guys. Spend more money on group buys. And then started to be curious about Clacks. And...... I'm wallet hacked. Totally!!

I made lots of friends in GH. I never knew I have so much to talk about in a forum. And I never expected so many nice people around here. It's Justine year but boy, it was one heck of a journey!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:21:29 »
Wonderful giveaway, sir! You've always struck me as very kind and polite, and I love to see giveaways like this that bring the community together even more.

Like swill, I'm a programmer, and I spend all day on a computer. I first heard of mechanical keyboards from an acquaintance from work – I had heard of them before, but hadn't considered them as something I needed. I found /r/mechanicalkeyboards, my first introduction to the keyboard community, and after seeing how excited everyone was about these things, I got my first one: a QFR with browns.

Soon after I joined GeekHack, because that seemed to be where the Real Conversation™ was happening. I'm really glad that I joined. I've met a ton of great people, some of whom I now consider good friends and talk to on a daily basis. Like many, the wallethack hit me hard. I've had that QFR, an FC660M, a Poker II, two completely custom MX 60%'s that I built myself, a 60% Alps, and a couple HHKBs. I've gotten well-involved collecting Bro's caps as well, though I've so far managed to avoid paying the big bucks to folks who flip his caps.

While not without its faults, GeekHack is a well above average community, and I'm happy to be here.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:25:27 »
I started out just like a lot of others here. I've been playing video games my entire life, and started playing competitively late in middle school. I moved over to PC while I was in high school and I was beginning my love affair with keyboards. I've had probably every razer and logitech board that wasn't mechanical, and at the end of a rubberdome lifecycle, I started looking around for something more durable. This was during my Sophomore year in college. I instantly saw that the ducky Shine II was going to be released soon, and seeing how everyone was giving it rave reviews prior to release, I decided to go with that.

Upon receiving my Shine II, I never looked back. This has become my main hobby, and to an extent, my obsession. I really don't game half as much as I used to because I'm either modding, or working on school work. From my Shine II, I went to a Pure Ltd. That was an awesome board and my first intro to 60%. From my Pure, I sold my Ducky and bought my first Realforce. I was a little apprehensive at first seeing the comparisons to RD, but I went with it anyways. From the day I received my Realforce, 55g Topre has been my absolute favorite switch.

Not long after getting my Realforce, I started lurking here. As more and more interest grew, I made an account. Then, once Bunny and the Ctrl Alt crew got the Toxic group buy up, I became active. I've made some absolutely awesome friends here, and I love being a part of the moderation team. Most of the people here have gotten me to really dive into the hobby (photoelectric) while others have just been great friends and a blast to talk to (epzy, belfong, etc.)

It has been an absolute blast getting to know most of the people here, and I'm very glad I decided to get into keyboards over whatever else I was looking into at the time. It may be a time and cash sink, but it's more fun than I ever could have imagined.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:44:31 »
I came to GH because retspiR told me to be better than smallfry

nobody's better than smallfry
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:12:13 »
Wow, this is an amazing giveaway.
My story isn't all that interesting, but I'll share anyway. ;D One day when I was browsing /g/ I saw a thread on mechanical keyboards. They sounded really interesting, so I decided I should grab one. I picked myself up a WASD v1 and fell in love. About a year later I I was browsing /g/ again, and came across a pre production photo of the Tex Yoda. It instantly interested me. After a reverse image search I found my way to Geek Hack. Then I spent all my money on keyboards. ;) Now I use a JD40 as my main board and a Poker II for gaming.

Offline d00gan

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:18:35 »
I am brand spankin new to this community, My first post was not too long ago trying to buy a keyboard with some browns in it, but that fell through. I have since bought a rosewill and holy cow why haven't i bought one of these sooner!

I originally found GH through R/Battlestations while looking for ideas to hold my triple monitor setup that I recently bought. I kept seeing all these awesome fancy keyboards everyone was raving about and eventually found a link here. Lurked for several months now currently trying to figure out how to fund/build an ErgoDox and what style keycaps to get for my rosewill. A (in)famous brocap would set off the keycap search with style!

-d00gan the Brocapless

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:22:57 »
The first time I used a mechanical keyboard was when I was a kid in the 80s. But like most of us I didn't pay any attention to it, and didn't notice to much of a difference with other non mechanical keyboards since I was only typing with two fingers.
Now fast forward to about 5 moths ago. I was looking to get some kind of gaming pad (not a console controller), and Googled something like “custom keyboards”. From there I came across web sites like GeekHack, Deskthority, and Reddit's r/MechanicalKeyboards, and said goodbye to my Sidewinder x4 and to any extra money I would ever have.
Living in France, I wanted to get one with an AZERTY layout (sine then I now get QWERTY). So I decided to go with the Logitech G710+, since I already had a their G930 wireless headset and liked the driver software.
As of today I'm the proud owner of a Logitech G710+, a Keycool 87II, an Apple Extended keyboard II, Dell AT101W, IBM Model M, and I have an ErgoDox on it's way.
Don't ask me why I have six sets of keycaps for only two (soon to be three) Cherry MX keyboards... Last time there was a Gasmask sale I ended up getting two, and for some strange reason I now have four. I'm scared that if I find more artisan keycaps in the house, I'll find less money on my bank account.
mechs4life

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:36:05 »
The first time I used a mechanical keyboard was when I was a kid in the 80s. But like most of us I didn't pay any attention to it, and didn't notice to much of a difference with other non mechanical keyboards since I was only typing with two fingers.
Now fast forward to about 5 moths ago. I was looking to get some kind of gaming pad (not a console controller), and Googled something like “custom keyboards”. From there I came across web sites like GeekHack, Deskthority, and Reddit's r/MechanicalKeyboards, and said goodbye to my Sidewinder x4 and to any extra money I would ever have.
Living in France, I wanted to get one with an AZERTY layout (sine then I now get QWERTY). So I decided to go with the Logitech G710+, since I already had a their G930 wireless headset and liked the driver software.
As of today I'm the proud owner of a Logitech G710+, a Keycool 87II, an Apple Extended keyboard II, Dell AT101W, IBM Model M, and I have an ErgoDox on it's way.
Don't ask me why I have six sets of keycaps for only two (soon to be three) Cherry MX keyboards... Last time there was a Gasmask sale I ended up getting two, and for some strange reason I now have four. I'm scared that if I find more artisan keycaps in the house, I'll find less money on my bank account.
mechs4life

#mechlife !!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:38:35 »
thanks for telling nice storys. :)

You're welcome! :) thank you sir!  :thumb:

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:44:18 »
My story started, as I am sure many have, by being a member of reddit. I heard about what a great community /r/mechanicalkeyboards is, and wanted to check it out as I was hoping to buy some new caps. From there I heard about GeekHack, and the community here is even better! (As evident in this thread) I lurked for a few months before making my account, and since then have spent over $500 on keyboards and keysets, and now my wallet hates me..  :))

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:48:07 »
This hobby (read: addiction) started about 2 years ago when I traded an H100 for a Ducky "OCN edition" 1087 with blues.  I love building and modding computers, so I am always at my pc. The Ducky was my first mechanical and once I realized I could tinker with it, that was the beginning of the end.  I quickly found Geekhack and was instantly drawn to the Toxic set.  I was also drawn to the people making their own caps which I still want to dabble in, but just haven't had the funds.  What I didn't realize at the time was how good of a community this was.  I came from OCN where you may get to know a couple people, but here, everyone is talking about everything and I quickly realized that I would be spending a lot less time on OCN.  The amount of knowledge and comradeship around here has me logging on whenever I am around a pc.  I am now up to 3 mx boards (and 5 keycap sets - with more coming), and a handful of artisan caps that I treasure dearly.   

On a side note, the V1 Brobot is my favorite cap of all time.  I grew up with the original Transformers (I own nearly all of them still - though they are well used), and the idea of having Optimus on my keyboard makes me giggle like I was 8 years old getting a Transformer toy from the store. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 13:56:06 »
Like Sifo and others, I started the journey into mechanical keyboards through eSports. I was and still am a huge StarCraft fan. I used to play *a lot* but I don't have the time now to play at the level I would like to. I was writing a blog on StarCraft 2 and playing in some small tournaments as well as watching tons and tons of streams. I would hear the clicking of a mechanical keyboard on stream and eventually convinced myself to get a Razer Blackwidow. After using that for about a year, a friend at MLG introduced me to his Filco Majestouch-es. I was so enamored with that board that I started looking more into keyboards. I stumbled onto DanGWanG's blog which led me to Geekhack. I lurked for a couple weeks before but while I was laid up with a concussion, I joined the forum to entertain myself and learn more. I eventually bought that Filco Majestouch, Valentine's R1, and a matching cable. Then I got sucked into Geekhack and mechanical keyboards :D.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 14:42:28 »
The first mechanical keyboard that I got interested in was a Filco Majestouch Ninja I saw in a LinusTechTips review - I had to own it.

So I made it my top wish for Christmas and thankfully got it, only to discover my father had gotten the regular version not the ninja that I so desired.

Not wanting to send anything back or make my father feel bad, I tried to find out whether I could get some ninja caps for my filco only to discover a huge world of custom caps and the enthusiasm of communities like geekhack and r/mechanicalkeyboads.

Ever since I got my blank caps for my filco I've been hooked to keyboard-related stuff.

Offline hrinfinity

• typebeast
  • uptempo
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 19:06:16 »
I used to watch a lot of GSL a few years ago and was immediately drawn to MarineKingPrime's DT35. I started looking into an upgrade from my Logitech Illuminated because of its ghosting issues. Around that time, a friend of mine had acquired a Meka G1 and I immediately fell in love! I found geekhack while researching mechanical keyboards and ended up with my first keyboard (Ducky Shine I). I lurked the forums for a while and was super bummed when the site was hacked in 2012. I spent some time on Deskthority for a while, but ended up back here once everything was up and running again.

The community here has been extremely helpful and generous with their knowledge. Although I don't post as much as I would like to, it feels good to be in the company of other keyboard fanatics. I'm still waiting for my first Clack / Bro (fingers crossed)  :D

Thank you for doing this giveaway leesofi!
TGR-Jane CE | FC660C | DK9008 Snake

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 22:40:41 »
My first first introduced me to mechs with his Corsair K65. I now am slightly more devoted :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 23:20:19 »
Technically, the first mechanical keyboard I used was a Model F when I used to play DOS based Sierra video games on my buddy's IBM AT. I believe I got my first computer shortly after which was a Leading Edge Model D (8088) with a 30MB MFM hard drive :o, I think that keyboard had blue Alps, I forget. After that, it was mostly FK keyboards, 2001 & 9000.

Fast Forward to 2008, lurk around GH for almost a year, joined in 2009...I started playing video games with friends a lot more, I joined GH, Ripster's Lego pictures where in every thread...along with his posts. I forget if MW was still preaching about early versions of Windows in his posts, I believe he was, lol. Seems like it was a really small community back then. Anyways, I bought a Filco 87 w/ Browns from EK. That was my first quality mech keyboard. I think I sold it JD years ago, have no idea where it is now.

If I win, I'm going to pass to Dustin because he's a legit d00d and I know he's been working on v1 collection for days.

Thanks Leesofi.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 23:36:23 »
I started wanting a mechanical keyboard a little over a year ago.  So I started doing research and ended up finding my way to GH. Bought a Filco and have been here ever since  :D

The keyboards keep stacking up and I wake up wanting to come to this wonderful forum every day.

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline 111Blueangel911

• A Toast!
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 00:09:34 »
Good on you for passing the torch! 
   :))

After being referred to GH from reddit in http://www.reddit.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards, I saved up money and got my first mech only 5 months ago... a Quickfire Rapid Tenkeyless. I then realized that the cool thing about having a mechanical keyboard is standing out from everyone else. I customized my board with alligator skin! http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59752.0 

But... I really didn't like how it turned out.  :(

Two days ago I got a new keycap set in: ABS Doubleshot Red letters on white keys. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/doubleshot-abs-keycaps
I bought a new case and some orange spray paint last week. I'll try to spray a new pattern tomorrow.

I managed to get in on 'THE BROSET' group but with Bunnylake and Brocaps.... I'm pumped. I've told all my friends, but they don't seem jealous... Oh well. More fun for me! :))

Four weeks ago I didn't know how to type, but now I'm determined. I'm at about 18 words per minute, but I get a little better each day.
And that's all I got to say about that.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 01:55:24 »
Thanks leesofi, what a nice thing to do  :thumb:

My journey begins with my Moshi Luna keyboard (replaced my Logitech dinovo edge), I got it because I thought I wanted backlighting and a fancy aesthetic but really I never used the backlighting and I realised the feel of the keys is what was important. So I begin the usual search for something better. I bounced all over the place but soon noticed that geekhack and to a lesser extent deskauthority were the real hubs of information. Filco's caught my eye, because of the amazing build quality, and I decided to pull the trigger and bring one in from theKeyboardco (mx browns), great board but by that time it seems I had caught the bug and was already looking to try other switches, bought another Filco with black switches and at that point decided it was time to see what all the talk was about and try Topre. I did some research and decided to bring a type-s in from Japan. A friend of mine is working in Seoul so at the same time I asked him to bring me back a white Leopold tenkeypad to match it, so it would be more convenient at work.

It's almost a year down the line now and I couldn't be happier with my setup. Been spreading the good news that is mechanical keyboards since ;)

P.S. I am also almost at my goal of an WPM of about 100  ;D

Offline darkiedark

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 04:07:34 »
Back in the 80's and 90's my father worked for a company called Convergent which was later acquired by Unisys. At the time, Unisys was still reeling from their merger and competition with IBM was hot. Curious, he wondered, how much different could both their products be? He would bring home various components from both IBM and Unisys to draw comparisons of the differences to satiate his own curiosity. I assume that he found what he was looking for because everything was eventually neatly packed away. Years later when I was old enough to comprehend what I computer was. My Father dug out what was then a dusty old box packed with varies parts he had continue to collect throughout the 80's, inside, sitting next to a Burroughs B25 sat the IBM model M.

The thought of a mechanical keyboard hadn't crossed my mind again until the early 2012 when I purchased my first modern mk in the form of a CM Storm Trigger with MX brown. I had made my purchase, and I was happy. Not once I did suspect that there was such a huge community behind it. Fast forward to the present, my Trigger started acting up on me and I was on the market for a new keyboard. In the span of two months, I've managed to get my hands on one Corsair K70 (reds), Poker II with PBT (browns), White Poker II (blues) and this strange fixation for Bro Bot key caps. Seriously, I might have a problem haha. I must have been to the Bro Bot sub-forum 10 times today trying to figure out how to get my hands on them. Funny enough, while I was googling "brobot keycaps" I found this thread and decided to share my story at a chance for a v1.

I just realized that this story may have been a tad long but it's funny seeing how this came full circle after so many years. Also, I wanted to make my first post meaningful. c:
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 04:10:01 by darkiedark »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 05:21:52 »
Back in the 80's and 90's my father worked for a company called Convergent which was later acquired by Unisys. At the time, Unisys was still reeling from their merger and competition with IBM was hot. Curious, he wondered, how much different could both their products be? He would bring home various components from both IBM and Unisys to draw comparisons of the differences to satiate his own curiosity. I assume that he found what he was looking for because everything was eventually neatly packed away. Years later when I was old enough to comprehend what I computer was. My Father dug out what was then a dusty old box packed with varies parts he had continue to collect throughout the 80's, inside, sitting next to a Burroughs B25 sat the IBM model M.

The thought of a mechanical keyboard hadn't crossed my mind again until the early 2012 when I purchased my first modern mk in the form of a CM Storm Trigger with MX brown. I had made my purchase, and I was happy. Not once I did suspect that there was such a huge community behind it. Fast forward to the present, my Trigger started acting up on me and I was on the market for a new keyboard. In the span of two months, I've managed to get my hands on one Corsair K70 (reds), Poker II with PBT (browns), White Poker II (blues) and this strange fixation for Bro Bot key caps. Seriously, I might have a problem haha. I must have been to the Bro Bot sub-forum 10 times today trying to figure out how to get my hands on them. Funny enough, while I was googling "brobot keycaps" I found this thread and decided to share my story at a chance for a v1.

I just realized that this story may have been a tad long but it's funny seeing how this came full circle after so many years. Also, I wanted to make my first post meaningful. c:

Welcome to Geekhack!

Interesting thread for a first post ;) :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 07:55:56 »
Very cool giveaway!

For a long time I thought that expensive keyboards were a waste of money. After all, if the keys are in the same spot, why would you type any better or faster on a keyboard with the same layout (barring non-standard layouts)? Well eventually I got around to reading some more about the benefits of mechanical keyboards over cheaper made rubberdomes. I came to the realization that since I'm a software engineer, the tools I use should be up to par with the amount that I use them. That's when I started becoming very interested in mechanical keyboards, and wanted to get a very solid model to start with, that would retain its value if I needed to trade up. I got a QWERkeys switch tester, and decided to buy my first mechanical board: my Ninja Filco Majestouch 2 with MX Reds, which I still type on daily. I've never been so happy with a purchase, and it's become a very fun and useful hobby over the last year or so!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:40:30 »
My story is kind of short.. I was on another forum asking for keyboard advice and was directed to come here, I sniffed around here for a few days and decided to lurk to learn, I then decided on a keyboard and still waiting for it, it is my end game keyboard and the only revisions possibly needed to be done to the keyboard is possible switch change/get the beautiful keycaps I want, I ordered the lightsaver v2, and quite excited, also learned from a few users especially my friend Sifo.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 11:21:18 »
Awesome giveaway!

It was two years ago when I heard about mechanical keyboards. The mech board in my eyes were for pro gamers. ( thanks to Razer..)
While I was saving up for a new PC, and googline how to build one, and what the hell a PSU was, I was looking for a keyboard for gaming. Now, most novice searches start off "mechanical gaming keyboard" or "mechanical keyboard for gaming"
I had discovered corsair, and their K90. I was amazed by how I found MX reds which at the time, I believed everything I read, I believed reds were the best for gaming and typing. I was also a major believer of macros, and how I thought I would use them all the time. Oh boy was I wrong, I never touched them, it was a spot on the board wherein was able to rest my palm...

I saw a ducky shine II a while later, I didn't know what it was, I didn't know what the different colors of the switches meant, I knew I wanted NKRO, which I wasn't sure if it had it. It said 6KRO and NKRO, so I was assuming it was the PS1 adapter that had NKRO, and the mobo I was pricing with the build didn't have a port for it.

During the summer, after I bought the PC, after I bought the K90, I started hating reds, I didn't know when I pressing a key, I wanted feedback after using my cousins BWU with blues, I started on deskthority and looked up all the switches on modern boards, browns blacks, reds, and blues. That was all I knew, I was really torn between reds and browns, so Google was handy, I found GH a orange and black Halloween themed forum. There were about 5 different threads that I read about 7-20 pages long.
I also started looking on EK and saw clacks, I didn't know they were hand made, or limited production, sooner or later, after countless hours of reading, searching and learning I settled on a shine III...

I now belong to wallet hack and am tempted to buy a new board already...
And although I still consider myself a novice when it comes to keyboards, I really did enjoy learning about a better way to type.

Offline darkiedark

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:24:02 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

Interesting thread for a first post ;) :))

Thanks!  I was going to post in the newbie thread with what I've manage to snag so far but this will do. Worst part of being a newbie, waiting the 60 day to participate in group buys haha.  :p

Offline mandoosle

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 21:05:56 »
Very cool giveaway leesofi, thank you!

About two months ago I finally pulled the trigger and bought my first mech, a Das Professional model S (blues). Now like any reasonable mech owner I had to deck this board out! Began to search for caps and I came across one of IvanIvanovich's groupbuys just in time to place an order, woot! And now I am patiently waiting for that order while browsing threads preparing my wallet for my next buy.  :cool:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 22:35:31 »
I'm trying to remember how I got into mechanical keyboards.  I think it was seeing some discussions about them while on /r/buildapc then checking out /r/mechanicalkeyboards.  Shortly after, I got my first, a Das Keyboard.  I soon realized that Browns weren't for me and I got a QFR with Blacks that I quickly modded, then a broken and dirt cheap RK9000 that I fixed and modded (and is now my daily driver at work). 

After that, I started checking out some of the forums and getting into it more.  I discovered the CMYK GB Ivan was running and joined.  Almost immediately I started sharing different experiments and projects, like my first pitiful attempt at casting and my RK-9000 refurb.  This continued to evolve, I got tired of the negativity on reddit, and here I am, loving the community and the new things that are coming out of it.  I've been here a year and six months and I'm already looking at running my second group buy and seeing what other new experiments to share with the community.

And thanks for such an awesome giveaway.  I've been trying to collect at least one cap in each style from all the artisan cap makers and it would be awesome to have an original Bro in the stable.

Offline rouxsparrow

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 07 July 2014, 12:46:22 »
I'm not good at english too, so it wont be a long story ^^. I will be honest with you. This account was created about 1 hours ago and I just bought my first mechkeyboard today. It's a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid-i..I love it so much. It's a first Rapid-i in my country (Viet Nam). I know it is random but i hoping your giveaway keycap is the first custom keycap on my keyboard ^^

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 09:55:24 »
Thanks for doing the giveaway leesofi. You played a part into me getting addicted to this hobby :p

I got into mechanical keyboards in 2011 when I researched via geekhack and eventually purchased a Steelseries 7G keyboard with MX Blacks. I loved that keyboard and gamed on it all the time. In 2012 the keycaps started to wear down so I looked into where I could purchase replacements. I was led back to geekhack where instead of lurking I made an account. Eventually I purchased some white engraved keycaps and a KBT Pure from Qtan and then I was hooked. My first keyboard project was pretty stupid, and I used a mechanical pencil to fill in the engraving on the white keys so I could still read the legends. Over time I learned more and after seeing leesofi's amazing Korean keyboards I had to have one. The search began, I started to learn soldering in preparation to build a custom, ran a group buy for lambda keycaps from QWERkeys,  and the rest is history.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline mystalexx

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 20:58:08 »
Wow, this is really generous of you!

It all started 3 months ago when I visited my friend's place and used her Cherry Blue Rosewill keyboard to check into my flight. I loved the clickity clack and I've been thinking about getting one ever since. Two days ago, I stumbled upon r/mechanicalkeyboards, and browsed the subreddit for a few hours, thinking about Filcos, CM QFR, before purchasing a Poker 2. Now I've been browsing GH learning all about PCBs, custom keycaps, Brobots, and looking into various group buys. Super psyched and loving this community so far!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 21:56:37 »
So generous of you, leesofi.  Thanks for doing this.  :)

I got into mechanical keyboards when I built my most recent computer in fall 2012.  I decided to start nice and safe with a WASD V1 (which I rarely photograph, otherwise I'd link a photo) with MX Browns.  The compromise switch.  Well, I immediately fell in love with this whole idea of "mechanical keyboards".  I needed more.  I needed something new!  I discovered geekhack shortly after, and decided to join the LZ-GH group buy.  The rest is, as they say, history.  I fell harder into this rabbit hole than I ever thought I could.  I've made friends, met up with people, and had some crazy times on here.  Much drama has ensued.  Some of it wasn't so fun, but it is what it is.  I love this place and this hobby.

Anyway, enough rambling reminiscing.  Once again, thanks for the giveaway!  I'm sure these will find a lovely home.  :)  I remember my first time seeing V1 BBs was at the MN meetup in 2013 when I met GupGup.  He was obsessed with the things.   :))   I immediately thought to myself, "Dang, these are sweet, but I can't afford to get addicted to novelty caps!"  And now here I am.....

Offline iapache

« Reply #55 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 22:15:23 »
Wow man, this is very nice of you! Well a few months ago I started looking into new keyboards. I had to replace my apple aluminum keyboard soon. Searched for days trying to find the right keyboard. I found out about geekhack from my random google searches and learned so much information about mechanical keyboards (Which I never really knew much about before. The very next day I ordered a Poker II and have been happy with it ever since. I'd like to get more keyboards and keycaps shortly after using this board. I can finally understand why everyone likes mechs and can definitely consider it a hobby of mine now.

Again thanks for your generousity!

Poker II

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 22:44:04 »
(Re-read the OP and modified my horribly long post)

Well this is a pretty incredible giveaway. My story isn't very interesting, but you got to be in it to win it!

I first got into mechanical keyboards when I built my first proper PC when I got back from Afghanistan in 2011. I bought myself a Black Widow because I didn't know any better. It was clicky as all hell, and I loved it. People thought I was mad for spending so much on a board, but I thought it was so much better than anything I had typed on before, and I wanted more.

I discovered /r/Mechanicalkeyboards and my real journey began. I saw KCs and KMACs, Decks and Das, Coolermasters and Corsairs, and I knew I had to get another mech. I wanted different everything. I got less keys, more lights, and spent less money - What's not to like? I bought a Keycool84 with Browns and loved it even more than my BW. I trawled through the reddit threads and tried to recommend both KCs and MX Browns to everybody I could. That's when I thought I had a REAL mech, as there was so much hate for Razer products, and mine was a bit temperamental.

If I was to get my hands on a V1... Wow. I would probably consider myself as being part of history really. One of those guys who has a Bro. A V1. I would feel like I really fitted in, and I would finally be a part of that exclusive club. It would be my go to karma whoring device on reddit, and probably something I would just end up playing with a lot on whatever keyboard it goes on (probably my KC84) and unintentionally closing many programs.

I have rambled. A lot. But a Bro Bot is one of my goals pretty much, and I would absolutely love to have even one of those amazing looking caps you are giving away.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 July 2014, 22:46:37 by katushkin »
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Lingj

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:17:31 »
Lets see, I think I bought my first mechanical keyboard which was a Das Keyboard when I built my first computer a couple years ago and was looking for a decent keyboard. Fast forward to maybe two months ago, I came across the Noctilucous Evangelion keyset from feng (which I bought) and was introduced to the geekhack community. Didn't even know there was a community out there like this and was hooked. And here I am now, looking for any sort of artisan caps that I would want to have.

Thanks for doing the giveaway.

Offline xCoolBeans

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:21:53 »
I started researching keyboards about a year ago and recently got my first keyboard and I am in love (Shine 3 browns magenta backlighting)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:24:45 »

I got into mechanical keyboards when I built my most recent computer in fall 2012.  I decided to start nice and safe with a WASD V1 (which I rarely photograph, otherwise I'd link a photo) with MX Browns.  The compromise switch.  Well, I immediately fell in love with this whole idea of "mechanical keyboards".  I needed more.  I needed something new!  I discovered geekhack shortly after, and decided to join the LZ-GH group buy.  The rest is, as they say, history.  I fell harder into this rabbit hole than I ever thought I could.  I've made friends, met up with people, and had some crazy times on here.  Much drama has ensued.  Some of it wasn't so fun, but it is what it is.  I love this place and this hobby.

Anyway, enough rambling reminiscing.  Once again, thanks for the giveaway!  I'm sure these will find a lovely home.  :)  I remember my first time seeing V1 BBs was at the MN meetup in 2013 when I met GupGup.  He was obsessed with the things.   :))   I immediately thought to myself, "Dang, these are sweet, but I can't afford to get addicted to novelty caps!"  And now here I am.....

Ohh mannn I wish we had a MN meet and gupgup came with v1s!!!!!!!!!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:34:38 »

GupGup hails from SD, so I'm not sure if he would have been able to make it again.  It was mostly chance that he came out in 2013 (his dad was in the area for business, IIRC).

That, and he kind of ditched the keyboard hobby in mid summer 2013.  :(  Which subsequently left the CCnG GB without an organizer.  Which is why a sizeable portion of the forum isn't a huge fan of him.  But that's getting into other stuff that isn't the topic at hand here.   :p

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:35:55 »

GupGup hails from SD, so I'm not sure if he would have been able to make it again.  It was mostly chance that he came out in 2013 (his dad was in the area for business, IIRC).

That, and he kind of ditched the keyboard hobby in mid summer 2013.  :(  Which subsequently left the CCnG GB without an organizer.  Which is why a sizeable portion of the forum isn't a huge fan of him.  But that's getting into other stuff that isn't the topic at hand here.   :p

I will PM you a reply. Back to topic. V1s are best, good luck everyone! :D

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:38:42 »

Sorry to quote myself here, but I found a picture of my WASD V1!  From the MN meetup referenced above.  :)

Offline Darwin

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 06:19:02 »
Ok, let's do this.

My first mechanical keyboard was a gift from a friend.. It was around the year 2000 and he gave me this old Cherry G80-1000 (year 1984), because he did not need it anymore... He did say it was special, but it was just a keyboard to me.. I was young, stupid, and didn't even know it was a mechanical board.. I just didn't care... The main reason he gave it to me was because back then we were playing this game called Mortal Combat and most keyboards had a problem with it (6 key rollover), since two players were pressing multiple keys at the same time......... Anyways, I did use it until recently when I officially became a keyboard geek and I switched it with a brand new ducky premier..  :p

Cheers...

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 09:16:56 »
Awesome giveaway.

My story begins when I didn't like the quality of my Razer keyboard that was mechanical. After trying a mechanical board however, every new keyboard I bought just didn't suffice. This brought me to Google searching "best mechanical keyboards".

The rest is history.

This was a while ago so BBs weren't around and Clacks were all the buzz. I could never get in sales and the prices on the Classfields were insane. So naturally I wanted one! It wasn't until almost 2 years later I was able to get one but GH introduced me to other amazing things that held me over. Everything from Korean customs, rare key cap sets, PBT and much much more.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 10:13:01 »
Thanks leesofi for the chance at those V1s, they look phenomenal.

I got into mechanical keyboards and found this site after being a member of r/buildapc and saw that both this site and r/mechanicalkeyboards were recommended to one of the builders. I started browsing here and started talking to friends who used mechanical keyboards, one had an off brand and the other a filco. I really enjoyed the sound and the feeling of the keyboard coming from a scissor switch keyboard on my laptop. I became serious about purchasing a board after the constant breaking off of my keycaps. After much deliberation, I purchased a WASD V2 TKL with Cherry MX Browns. I absolutely love it and typing on it is extremely satisfying. I love the atmosphere here and have spent entirely too much money on keycap sets and artisan keys.

I don't see myself stopping anytime soon and look forward to purchasing a topre board in the future.

Offline NumberTwoinQQ

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 10:34:11 »
Hello! first of all, thanks for the give-away.

I first came to geekhack not too long ago.  I had bought my first ducky shine 3 and was looking into a filco.  I had questions on where to buy one and when I finally ordered one, I looked into custom painting it.  Big thanks and shout outs to photoelectric for helping me with my first paintjob!

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 13:52:18 »
I started learning about infosec in high-school and i was a self-styled hacker and social engineer. I knew I was totally badass, so I dyed my buckling-spring keycaps a dark color and showed-off how i touch-typed, thinking I was an original otaku.

Didn't buy any other mechanical keyboards for years (because mine was so durable!).

When I started looking for a new keyboard more recently, I came across a BroBot v1 (just BroBot at the time) for sale and was blown away. I immediately realized that my keyboard modding back in the day was nothing compared to the creativity of the 'keyboard community' and was instantly hooked!
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline kthien

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 14:56:08 »
Thanks for doing this. Been lurking for over a year finally decided to sign up. Inherited a Ducky shine 1 last year. Prior to this I had always thought keyboard enthusiasts only used them as they had an attractive feeling and satisfaction from typing but I have found that it really helps with my arthritis and the pain I have from prolonged periods of typing. I can finally type out long reports/assignments and I regret not getting one earlier when I had known of them for about ~4 years already!

Offline Kraksx

« Reply #69 on: Sat, 12 July 2014, 15:02:42 »
It all started when I wanted my first "Gaming" keyboard and I heard that is when I heard of mechanical keyboards. Long after that I was looking into new keyboards and I found this site. I have been lurking for a while and decided to create an account the other day. I recently just ordered a Poker II and can't wait for it to get here.

I'd be super happy to win one of these key caps. Thanks for doing the giveaway!

Poker II

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 18:39:47 »
My mechanical keyboard obsession began when several keys on my Dell laptop's keyboard began to stop registering or get stuck down.  I found this insanely annoying, so I began looking for a new keyboard.  I had heard great reviews about these things called "mechanical keyboards" and decided to purchase one.  I started with a few Google searches, then fell upon this forum.  I thought that the community was very friendly and helpful, but I did not have anything to contribute, so I just lurked.  You guys finally convinced me to buy a 1994 IBM Model M, and I couldn't be happier with it!  However, I found that it was a bit too loud for use in the classroom (read: my teachers and classmates wanted to beat me upside the head with my five-pound machine gun), so I picked up a CODE keyboard with Cherry MX Clears, which I also love and is acceptable for use in public.  :p  Now, there's no way I could go back to non-mechanical keyboards and I've spent many hours on keyboard-related tasks.  It's an addiction, but the first step to recovery is admitting that you have a problem, right?   ;D

I just created my account today, as I needed to use the forum's search feature, but I plan to contribute as much as possible since I'm sure that my friends and family are tired of hearing me talk about mechanical keyboards and I've run out of threads on the mechanical keyboards subreddit.  I would like to thank everyone on GeekHack for greatly enhancing my computing life, and you, leesofi, for putting on this amazing giveaway for these beautiful keycaps!  I've been looking for some novelty keycaps, and I'm currently trying not to get drool on my keys...

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 22:44:49 »
My start for mechanical keyboards began in a gaming forum, where there was a thread about mechanical keyboards with members raving about the feel of Cherry switches and how life altering they were.  I was quite intrigued and started to do some research and ask questions in the thread.  GH member Belfong is also a member on that forum, and he happily answered all my questions and was very encouraging about the whole thing.

Soon after that, I purchased my first mechanical keyboard, a WASD v2 with Cherry Browns, and really loved it.  Belfong then suggested that I look into getting different keysets, and he told me about the Round 5 keyset group buy being run by 7bit.  I was a bit hesitant after already just dropping a lot of money on an expensive keyboard, especially since these keysets were going to cost as much as the keyboard itself.  But those sphericals looked so good, so I went ahead and put in an order, thinking that ok, I'll buy these caps and my new fancy keyboard setup will be complete.

Soon after that, Belfong tells me about the upcoming BroBot V2 sale over here on GH, and says I gotta get in for that.  People really go crazy over these small custom caps?  No way.  Well, I ended up joining GH and participating in the V2 sale (and failing miserably, but I did get my first V2 later on from a generous Broless dibs from Bro), and it was all quickly downhill from there. 

On GH and from further discussions with Belfong, I soon learned about things like 60% boards (Poker: bought), Topre (HHKB: bought), and ugh, Clacks (way too many).  And in a relatively short time I had more keyboards, keysets, and artisan caps than I know what to do with.  But it's so much fun!  And I've really met some great people here, and Belfong and I still talk all the time about our obsession with keyboards and caps.  I try justify all of this madness by telling myself these are useful since I use keyboards all day and night for both work and home.  So I'm not crazy.  Right, guys?

tl;dr:  I blame Belfong for getting me into mech keyboards.

Thanks leesofi for the great giveaway!  Those V1 colors look beautiful.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline Belfong

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 22:55:29 »
For the pain I caused naasfu, if I was selected by leesofi to win a V1, I will pass it to him as a form of repentance! Ha ha ...

But you gotta admit, naasfu, it is a fun journey. Now if only we can talk more about the games where the keyboard is supposed to be used for! My wasd and arrow blanks from noisy turtle is very underutilise now!

Edit to say that I think it was naasfu that got me hooked on Clacks! What goes around comes around :P :P
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 July 2014, 22:59:09 by Belfong »

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:03:52 »
But you gotta admit, naasfu, it is a fun journey. Now if only we can talk more about the games where the keyboard is supposed to be used for! My wasd and arrow blanks from noisy turtle is very underutilise now!

Haha, I don't play games anymore since I spend most of my free time trolling GH now.  But yes, we should play more games. :)
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:25:51 »
For the pain I caused naasfu, if I was selected by leesofi to win a V1, I will pass it to him as a form of repentance! Ha ha ...

If anyone on GH has a severe deficit of artisan caps, it's naasfu.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:31:05 »

Dat sarcasm

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:31:11 »

Where "a severe deficit" should be read as "far too many for any one single sane person" ;) :))

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:32:48 »
Not a crazy story, but I started making my own money and also loved gaming.  My work was based around computers so I decided to do some research and get a good keyboard.  I learned about mechanical keyboards and lurked this forum for a couple years.  I started making more money but also had to move as a result.  My job now is in a very boring location...so I decided to buy more keyboards and learn how to mod.

Fell in love with every switch and now I just want to share our hobby with anyone who wants to listen :)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline intelli78

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 23:35:45 »
Thanks for the giveaway! I was roaming CES 2011 and I happened upon the Das Keyboard booth. Tried one with MX Blues and my mind exploded. Saw the blank version and my mind imploded. Purchased one soon after that, and had it for a while. Last year I realized there were better boards to be had, and the rest is history!
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:40:23 »
My job is so ****ing unbelievable.

I'll try to sum it up by first telling you about the folks I work with:
First, there is this supermodel wanna-be chick. Yeah, okay, she is pretty hot, but damn is she completely useless. The girl is constantly fixing her hair or putting on makeup. She is extremely self-centered and has never once considered the needs or wants of anyone but herself. She is as dumb as a box of rocks, and I still find it surprising that she has enough brain power to continue to breathe.

The next chick is completely the opposite. She might even be one of the smartest people on the planet. Her career opportunities are endless, and yet she is here with us. She is a zero on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm not sure she even showers, much less shaves her "womanly" parts. I think she might be a lesbian, because every time we drive by the hardware store, she moans like a cat in heat.

But the jewel of the crowd has got to be the ****ing stoner. And this guy is more than just your average pothead. In fact, he is baked before he comes to work, during work, and I'm sure after work. He probably hasn't been sober anytime in the last ten years, and he's only 22. He dresses like a beatnik throwback from the 1960's, and to make things worse, he brings his big ****ing dog to work. Every ****ing day I have to look at this huge Great Dane walk around half-stoned from the second-hand smoke. Hell, sometimes I even think it's trying to talk with its constant bellowing. Also, both of them are constantly hungry, requiring multiple stops to McDonalds and Burger King, every single ****ing day.

Anyway, I drive these ****tards around in my van and we solve mysteries and ****. And that's why I switched to mechanical keyboards.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
  • After all, music soothes even the savage beast
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:43:33 »
A very generous giveaway!

A few years ago a real life friend of mine that you all know (Halverson) took up a very strange hobby. Keyboards. I admit, I thought it was a little silly. From time to time he would mention keycaps, switches or that he had acquired yet another new keyboard. Now I thought it was more than a little silly. I thought it was crazy!! One computer and multiple keyboards? Madness I thought!! But he was persistent. He kept telling me more and more about them until I finally gave in and figured I should try one out for myself. I purchased a Race with black switches. Moments after the order had been made online, I decided it would be a good idea to also join the keyboard forum he used. Geekhack. From that point on I would be known simply as YoungMichael, which oddly enough is what Halverson and I have both been calling each other for years, even prior to my time on Geekhack. The rest is history. Now I'm one of those "Halversons" with multiple boards talking way too much about them with people like the old me. OldMichael seems a fitting name.

Well, that's my story.

Cheers

-YM88
Too Soon™          LZ-GH       Full Metal Poker

Offline Belfong

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:43:35 »

First, there is this supermodel wanna-be chick. Yeah, okay, she is pretty hot, but damn is she completely useless. The girl is constantly fixing her hair or putting on makeup. She is extremely self-centered and has never once considered the needs or wants of anyone but herself. She is as dumb as a box of rocks, and I still find it surprising that she has enough brain power to continue to breathe.

The next chick is completely the opposite. She might even be one of the smartest people on the planet. Her career opportunities are endless, and yet she is here with us. She is a zero on a scale of 1 to 10. I'm not sure she even showers, much less shaves her "womanly" parts. I think she might be a lesbian, because every time we drive by the hardware store, she moans like a cat in heat.

But the jewel of the crowd has got to be the ****ing stoner. And this guy is more than just your average pothead. In fact, he is baked before he comes to work, during work, and I'm sure after work. He probably hasn't been sober anytime in the last ten years, and he's only 22. He dresses like a beatnik throwback from the 1960's, and to make things worse, he brings his big ****ing dog to work. Every ****ing day I have to look at this huge Great Dane walk around half-stoned from the second-hand smoke. Hell, sometimes I even think it's trying to talk with its constant bellowing. Also, both of them are constantly hungry, requiring multiple stops to McDonalds and Burger King, every single ****ing day.

Anyway, I drive these ****tards around in my van and we solve mysteries and ****. And that's why I switched to mechanical keyboards.
I don't get it. Scooby Doo and mechanical keyboards?

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:45:41 »

Scooby Who?

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:46:07 »

It is an old copypasta, but he still had me until the end..

Offline Belfong

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:49:12 »
I think I am dense. I am not sure the relation between noisy's story and this contest.

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 00:49:44 »

Pure gold, thank you for that noisy!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 01:14:26 »

HHAAH that was great man..  :))

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 02:28:00 »

A few years ago a real life friend of mine that you all know (Halverson) took up a very strange hobby. Keyboards. I admit, I thought it was a little silly. From time to time he would mention keycaps, switches or that he had acquired yet another new keyboard. Now I thought it was more than a little silly. I thought it was crazy!! One computer and multiple keyboards? Madness I thought!! But he was persistent. He kept telling me more and more about them until I finally gave in and figured I should try one out for myself. I purchased a Race with black switches. Moments after the order had been made online, I decided it would be a good idea to also join the keyboard forum he used. Geekhack. From that point on I would be known simply as YoungMichael, which oddly enough is what Halverson and I have both been calling each other for years, even prior to my time on Geekhack. The rest is history. Now I'm one of those "Halversons" with multiple boards talking way too much about them with people like the old me. OldMichael seems a fitting name.

Well, that's my story.

Cheers

-YM88

I already knew most of this, but it's still fun to read.  :)  I'm glad Halverson managed to convince you to join the hobby!  Although I'm sure your wallet is not so happy.   :rolleyes: :))

Offline YoungMichael88

• HHKB Wannabe
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 02:32:02 »

Well, that's my story.

Cheers

-YM88

I already knew most of this, but it's still fun to read.  :)  I'm glad Halverson managed to convince you to join the hobby!  Although I'm sure your wallet is not so happy.   :rolleyes: :))
I haven't bought anything except for a few bro bots it's a looong time now. I had to stop. This hobby and a few vehicle repairs literally emptied all my accounts haha.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 03:29:10 »
Thank you for doing this giveaway, really generous!

I bought a Ducky G2Pro and tried to learn to touch type on it. Got so frustrated with the standard layouts that I designed and built my own custom ergonomic board using parts of the Ducky  :D  :thumb:
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Corey

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 05:13:07 »
Hi leesofi, thank you for the opportunity to win some wonderful novelty key caps. Well my obsession is very fresh, I followed my friends in to the mechanical keyboards after having just purchased a gaming PC. We all moved in together to flat this year and we have a dedicated computer room, so the chatter of click clacks filled the room. I wanted to add to that noise with a keyboard of my own, so I purchased a Ducky Shine 3. This was just the beginning, as I began to learn of the plethora of customization options available, so after scouring the internet of many sites full of key caps, I settled on some Vortex PBT doubleshot caps that have just recently arrived in the mail. I'm from New Zealand so the keyboard culture is lacking, so I turn to the internet to connect with people who also share my new found love of keyboards. Now that I have a nice new set of caps, I would love just one novelty cap to set it off, my PC case is a BitFenix Prodigy in a beautiful orange, and my key cap set is also in orange so if the stars align and I do indeed win some key caps, you can be sure I'll be hoping for that orange cap.

Again, thank you for this opportunity, I know that who ever wins the keys will be ecstatic. Good luck to all!

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 05:36:19 »
I'm new, so my story is still fresh. I first came to geekhack after I learned about Brobots. Then I spent the next few months lurking because I was too busy with my last few months in college (I had to build a C compiler, and it was really hard). After I graduated, I had more free time and started trying harder to get involved with the community. I soon realized Keycon 2014 was close to me and felt really lucky for the opportunity to meet geekhackers in real life. I went, and it was the best. I learned so much, and everyone is so smart and helpful and interesting. There are a lot of good people in GH, and I am happy that I feel that way. I am excited to grow with this community.

I went not really knowing what to expect (and a bit intimidated), and left more interested in building/modifying keyboards. Being inspired feels great!

Thanks for giving me a reason to be so sentimental about my weekend at Keycon!
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 08:04:18 »
I'm new, so my story is still fresh. I first came to geekhack after I learned about Brobots. Then I spent the next few months lurking because I was too busy with my last few months in college (I had to build a C compiler, and it was really hard). After I graduated, I had more free time and started trying harder to get involved with the community. I soon realized Keycon 2014 was close to me and felt really lucky for the opportunity to meet geekhackers in real life. I went, and it was the best. I learned so much, and everyone is so smart and helpful and interesting. There are a lot of good people in GH, and I am happy that I feel that way. I am excited to grow with this community.

I went not really knowing what to expect (and a bit intimidated), and left more interested in building/modifying keyboards. Being inspired feels great!

Thanks for giving me a reason to be so sentimental about my weekend at Keycon!

And it was great to meet you at KeyCon!  Seeing all those cool projects is indeed quite inspiring, so I agree with your sentiments there.

Hope you're practicing Kendama!   ;)

Offline xqz

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 11:39:24 »
Pretty new to the scene. I believe I knew about GH a while back, but one day I had a hunch that I might be able to find a Model M in my basement from an older computer. I was wonderfully surprised and found a practically mint condition Model M. 1982 from what I recall, I will double check when I am home.

Soon after I was lost in the chase for the perfect keyboard. Bought a Leopold with browns on local classifieds but soon after I was hunting for Clears because I loved the heavy keys on the Model M so much.

I ended up getting an Ergodox with Clears which is my daily driver at work, a Topre board Leopold FC660C to see what all the fuss was about, Penumbra keycap set, ABS doubleshots, PBT engraved, and now I have a Poker II with Clears on its way too. What have I done.

You're a great man for giving away these keycaps, whether or not I win this or not. Kind of afraid it will awaken something in me if I do win or get one eventually..

Offline grtan

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 11:53:56 »
I got my lz ce with gmk olivetti a few days ago. It's my first keyboard, but I might have started long time ago.

I registered geekhack sometime ago just to get my bf the cmyw set (later found out that he has gotten one himself). I have witnessed how a man started off with a poker, till having 4 customs today. How a man tried cut all his expenses to save money for the beautiful keyboards and keycaps. How he nearly gave up, selling off the keycaps/keyboards he loved, to being able to financially sustain this hobby today.

It is wonderful for me to be able to go through all these with someone I love. On the other hand, he made me to lube most of the switches for my lz ce!  :mad:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 12:03:17 »
2 more dayssss, so much excitement! So much Geekhack love here!  :thumb:

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 14 July 2014, 12:05:45 »
My story is short and simple. I always knew of and owned mechanical keyboards (my dad owning couple of model M's) and I was avoiding rubberdomes as much as I can, but never knew there exists a whole community around it. I first heard of artisan caps through reddit and they were binge caps. Shortly after I decided to check what this site that Ripster is *****ing about this whole time is about, and after that I never looked back. I've never owned any kind of Bro cap so crossing my fingers for this one, thanks! :)
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline Zephitos

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:18:28 »
two years ago,  I don't know why I have interest about keyboard.  hm.. perhaps  I got many typing homeworks such as MCU class digital design class.

I saw fleamarket every day, every hour, every minute haha.
saw many factory keyboards, awesome keycaps such as S O W A R E
Seniors say it it Just thin ABS keycaps. but most of the newbies have same as my mind.

It is awesome pretty keycaps!!!

but now and then, it is very rare caps.
find soware , wanna soware I can't take soware
but I find cheap used keyboard. fc300r mx red my first mechanical keyboard.
oh my god it is new world!!
At this time. just satisfy my keyboard
I have no money so can't take other keyboards. and forget about mechanical keyboard world

and now, one more find keyboard forum, just wanna pretty keycaps for example valentine , raindrop
then one day I type with lubed 55g mx black, ohoh it is true. it is real mechanical!!!!
I know why many mania like spring changed black mx.

after this time, I dive into custom keyboard world.
am attracted by wonderful korean custom cases(UNICORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!) , pretty keycap, PBT keycap's touch feeling.

now I have two brobot1. I don't have collecting scheme like you, but I wanna one more transaprent brobot1.
and equip scroll lock, print screen, system request.

thank you.
Inventory
22mini brown, twosome mini, fc300r mx red,

WTB/WTS : [WTB] IMSTO PBT R2

To do
Make LZ's B series, LZ-FE,
-----------------------------------------------------------
And Fuxxing  DrugER

Offline KaboomTheory

• Shrek is love, Shrek is life
« Reply #98 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 11:33:45 »
Anyeong! I took some Korean in High school :)

Anyways onto my story. Well my story of getting my first mechanical is kind of silly, and you're bound to laugh at me at the end of this. It all started when one of my friends bought a brand new Razer Blackwidow 2012. I actually don't really like Razer brand that much but the clicky keys it had just made me want one. The LED's on it look cool too. So this made me set out to find out as much as I could about Mechanical Keyboards. At the time I was in High School, and I didn't have a job but I only had some money I had been saving for awhile. I kept trying to look for the cheapest and nicest looking keyboard but it was really hard to find something like that. Eventually, NCIX.com ended up having a sale for a Ducky Shine Zero with Orange LED's and MX Blues. I was so excited but the price of it was around $115. Since I had never really bought a keyboard before the price seemed so crazy since all I ever really bought was cheap 15 dollar keyboards from Dell or something. Anyways, it took me hours and hours of arguing with myself in my head about whether or not I should buy my first keyboard, I kept telling myself "It's way too much money, If mom finds out I spent this much money on a keyboard she will freak out." but at the same time I kept telling myself "but it's so cool looking, and if I buy it I'll never have to buy another keyboard ever again!" I'm sure you know what I did by now, I bought the keyboard. When it arrived in the mail I was so happy and excited that I just took it out of the box and started typing without even plugging it in. A few hours later, I felt a feeling of regret sink in because when I thought about it... I just spent $100+ dollars on a keyboard... I even made a post about how sad and happy I felt at the same time on Reddit.

And now I'm here. I sold the Ducky and bought a Quickfire TK, and i'm looking to find another keyboard. I'm in college now and I definitely don't regret switching over to Mechanical Keyboards :)

kekekekkeke

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 15:08:43 »
It's technically the 16th right now in Korea. Wonder when he'll do the drawing
I love Elzy

Offline Fire Brand

• Keeper of Rainbows
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • BISCUITS!
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 15:23:16 »
My story starts around a year ago when I got a Zalman K500 with Khail switches and I wanted to find some cool keycaps as I had seen a nyancat set before so I started searching the web for that set, eventually finding geekhack, joined up on nubinators 8bit group buy and got some cool caps, then made my way to keypop and bought a load of things :D eventually got the Nyan cat set after camping the Originative thread when sherry said there would be a very limited amount released got the set, and still use it to this day on my poker II after that I sort of stayed here as everyone seemed nice, and it interested me that there where so many nice looking keyboards, ended up getting a Poker II not long after along with the sanctuary keyset, and now I'm here almost a full year since I started the journey to get a nyan cat set :P
My Youtube Channel ~
More
Keyboards owned
More
Poker II - MX Black, Poker II ISO - MX Blue :c QFR ISO - MX Black, HHKB Pro 2 Black, VA68M - Gat Blacks w/68g Gold springs
My classified thread :3
More

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:09:36 »
It's technically the 16th right now in Korea. Wonder when he'll do the drawing

ohh exciting, good luck everyone, thanks again leesofi  :thumb:

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:18:12 »
about a year ago i purchased an MSI laptop to handle some of the newer PC games that were coming out. I regret this purchase now because i ended up hooking up a monitor/KB/mouse to it and using it as a desktop. Well since i was limited in my upgrade options for my laptop i decided to splurge on peripherals. So i bought a rat7 and a ducky shine III TKL mx reds. I though I was the baddest mother in town with that shine III, and something came over me that day it showed up in the mail. I put it on the table and just stared at it, "its beautiful" i grabbed a folded towel and carried it up my room as a ring-bearer would do in a wedding. Plugged it into the outlet and and it lit up brighter than the 8th night of Hanukkah. Words could not describe what i felt. Similar to my first sexual experience i began to gently caress the board, back and forth as my nails slide over the keycaps. Do i dare push one? Is this to soon? I will admit my heart was racing. The blood began to rush into different extremities throughout my body...        Click             ...satisfying, i clicked again, and again, faster and faster until my hand drenched in sweat cramped up and began to go limp. When I arose from my desk chair i was dizzy and off balance. I began to make my way down the stairs confused and befuddled as i tried to piece together what i had just experienced. I fiddled around inside my pocket looking for a lighter. I needed a cigarette to calm myself and then the reality of the situation set in, you now have ANOTHER addiction.
sell out and eat ass

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:20:30 »
about a year ago i purchased an MSI laptop to handle some of the newer PC games that were coming out. I regret this purchase now because i ended up hooking up a monitor/KB/mouse to it and using it as a desktop. Well since i was limited in my upgrade options for my laptop i decided to splurge on peripherals. So i bought a rat7 and a ducky shine III TKL mx reds. I though I was the baddest mother in town with that shine III, and something came over me that day it showed up in the mail. I put it on the table and just stared at it, "its beautiful" i grabbed a folded towel and carried it up my room as a ring-bearer would do in a wedding. Plugged it into the outlet and and it lit up brighter than the 8th night of Hanukkah. Words could not describe what i felt. Similar to my first sexual experience i began to gently caress the board, back and forth as my nails slide over the keycaps. Do i dare push one? Is this to soon? I will admit my heart was racing. The blood began to rush into different extremities throughout my body...        Click             ...satisfying, i clicked again, and again, faster and faster until my hand drenched in sweat cramped up and began to go limp. When I arose from my desk chair i was dizzy and off balance. I began to make my way down the stairs confused and befuddled as i tried to piece together what i had just experienced. I fiddled around inside my pocket looking for a lighter. I needed a cigarette to calm myself and then the reality of the situation set in, you now have ANOTHER addiction.

Hahaha oh man great visuals in this story bro!

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:22:31 »
end chapter 1
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 16:39:05 »
end chapter 1

:thumb:

Offline Justintoxicated

« Reply #106 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 17:35:39 »
I bought my first mechanical keyboard because it was listed in a hot deals section on another forum.  I was really impressed because I splurged on a really decent board just to see what the hype was all about.  I realized there was so much more to a keyboard than the switches it used and whether or not it had back-lighting I began looking for a second keyboard for work.

Google searches combined with recommendations from other users drove me to this forum and I have been a bit addicted every since.  Now I practice typing and love reading keyboard reviews.  I'm hooked on using topre for my work environment but still enjoy some mx switches for my gaming PC at home.  Although I'm getting more and more hooked on the topre every day now esp after modding it.  Never would I have imagined spending so much on such a plain looking board only a couple years ago.

Offline TheAngleOfDeath

• Math puns are the first sine of madness
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 15 July 2014, 20:56:20 »
My first introduction to actual mechanical keyboards was while I was away at a military boarding school for a time. (It was for college prep, I didn't do anything too terrible to get sent there :P)

My AP Physics teacher had a lot of really old lab equipment littering the room and sitting up on the shelves. I still don't know what half of it was or did, and I think he had forgotten by this point as well since he had been at that school for years and was probably ready to retire soon. Anyway, since it was a military school everyone was pretty strict, which meant no walking around class to look at or touch the stuff along the walls. This was enforced heavily, especially since the teachers made sure we were busy every minute of every class. Where I sat in my Physics class was right next to a cabinet in the back of the classroom with a friend of mine. Nothing really ever happened in class and we couldn't talk much until the day that I decided to open the cabinet next to me.

We were supposed to be working on an assignment but I got really bored and started messing with the door to the cabinet next to me. I always thought it was locked so I had never tried to open it. This day I accidentally pulled it open, and to my surprise I found that it was stuffed full of old mechanical keyboards, mostly model Ms but I don't really remember what others were there. I remember just pressing a key and instantly falling in love. All I wanted to do was hear the sound and feel the resistance and click of the keys as I pressed them. Unfortunately, my friend next to me and the teacher did not feel the way I did about the sound and got pretty upset with me. I had to run laps for "disrupting the class" but it was worth it. I'd usually try to hit the keys at least once everyday in class.

And that's when I realized that I love mechanical keyboards. Little did I know that it was the first step down this path. I wish I had smart and stolen one of those keyboards, there were so many and they obviously hadn't been used in decades.

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 02:05:19 »
The participation is end. i am on the summer vacation now, i will announce the winners soon.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 02:06:41 »
The participation is end. i am on the summer vacation now, i will announce the winners soon.
`

Thanks again for doing this, it's very generous of you.  Good luck to everyone who entered.  Looking forward to seeing who's selected so we can all congratulate them and simultaneously complain that they won (kidding of course).

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 02:11:04 »
for the 'win-win', rule of 2caps per person will be change to 1cap per person(six ppl will get BBv1 totally).
please wait soon.

Next giveway will be CC and BBv2.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 02:41:55 »
for the 'win-win', rule of 2caps per person will be change to 1cap per person(six ppl will get BBv1 totally).
please wait soon.

Thanks Leesofi, glad more people have a chance now.  :thumb:

CC and BBv2 next!  :eek:  :eek:

Offline iapache

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 03:02:10 »

please wait soon.

Wow this is too awesome of you. You're a great fella! Goodluck to all!

Poker II

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 03:42:08 »
please wait soon.

I think that is a great idea!! You will make double the amount of people happy!

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 03:45:08 »
First of all, thanks to all ppl to participated in this event.
So many guys participated, so i am happy with enjoying your storys.
(Some impressive, funny, lurking storys..)

Announcement of winner is done. please check the main post
All winners were selected randomly. If you do not selected, do not miss too much.
i will send pm to winners for helping to ship.

Thanks again and see you guys on next share.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 03:48:32 »
Congrats to those who won!!  :)) Thanks to leesofi for the great giveaway!  :thumb:

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 03:50:04 »
thanks to all supports.
i sent pm to winners.

Time to unpack of my huge vacatioin bag...  :confused: lurking~

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 03:52:13 »
you forgot to send me a PM, but that's OK. i forgive you.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #118 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 04:06:14 »
Congratulations to the winners :D !

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 04:07:33 »
Congrats to all the winners and thanks again Leesofi, can't get over how nice this community is.  :thumb:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 04:14:09 »
Congratulations to MrexD, fuzzybaffy, Vibex, HUNTERANGEL121, katushkin, infiniti :D

Thank you again leesofi for running this great give-away :)

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 04:14:35 »
Congratulations everyone! Enjoy. :)
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 04:33:42 »
Congrats all!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline Distilled

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 04:34:45 »
Big congrats to all winners

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 07:19:37 »
OH MY GOD IM SO HAPPY

IVE NEVER WON ANYTHING BEFORE! My first brobot, and it's a V1!!

Thank you so much!

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 07:23:05 »
So amesome! Thanks for doing this giveaway. :thumb:

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 07:40:13 »
Congratulation to all the winners!

That's great news!
... ...

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 07:43:42 »
Nice gesture, leesofi. Gratz to the winners!
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #128 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 08:32:10 »
waiting two pms for next step.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 08:50:19 »
Congrats to the winners, and good on ya leesofi for doing this giveaway.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 09:10:54 »
Congrats winners! And thanks for the chance at some awesome caps Lee!
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 09:24:52 »
Wow, awesome. Thank you! I just sent a PM back to your way.

This will definitely get me to give back to the GH community in the future.

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 09:41:34 »
need 1 more pm and next step.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #133 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 10:27:09 »
Congrats everyone!  I had fun writing up a little story, so thanks for hosting leesofi.  :)  And thanks especially for gifting these V1s to some awesome people!

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 10:49:13 »
Congrats everyone!  I had fun writing up a little story, so thanks for hosting leesofi.  :)  And thanks especially for gifting these V1s to some awesome people!

congrats everybody

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #135 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 10:54:18 »
Congrats everyone.  I enjoyed seeing how everyone stepped into this wonderful hobby.   :thumb:

Awesome giveaway leesofi.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 11:24:11 »
Grats everyone ^_^
I love Elzy

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 11:58:57 »
Congrats guys! Soon you will know the love for v1s.  :cool:

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 13:29:34 »
Congrats to all the winners, and thanks to leesofi for hosting!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 07:32:07 »
i sent pm to winners for next step.
check your pm.

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 09:15:27 »
[Giveaway] Brobot V1s
---------------------------------------------------------------
Winners (cap number on pic - new owner for next sharing.)
1 - MrexD
2 - fuzzybaffy
3 - Vibex
4 - HUNTERANGEL121
5 - katushkin
6 - infiniti

i will send pm to winners for shipping. After all shipping pay is done, i will shot all package on one day.

Grats to all the winners!  So jealous :)

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline Enigma

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 10:26:11 »
Congrats guys, looks like I joined geekhack just too late to make the deadline  :)

Enjoy the caps!

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 16:08:04 »
How do I pay on paypal!

Never really used paypal lol...

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 16:43:15 »
How do I pay on paypal!
Show Image

Never really used paypal lol...

Its very easy: you can use a bank account, debit card or credit card.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 16:45:50 »
Ohhhh I see it, press send money and type email and amount....

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 17:39:31 »
Ok! PM sent and money sent!

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 22:55:37 »
Ok! PM sent and money sent!
;)

Got all payment from winners.
I will ship the packages on next week.

Have a nice weekend.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 22:56:14 »
Sweet!  :D

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #148 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 05:38:13 »
Congrats to everyone!

Thanks again leesofi! :thumb:

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 21 July 2014, 22:26:22 »
Packages are shipped. Check your tracking via PM, winners.
Finally done.
Thanks Geekhackers. Enjoy Sharing.

-lee

Offline fuzzybaffy

Re: [Giveaway] Brobot V1s (done)
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 07:41:07 »
Thank yooooooouuuu! I will let you know when I receive it. Thanks again...

Offline darkiedark

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 22 July 2014, 20:07:34 »
Congrats you guys!

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 24 July 2014, 07:16:25 »

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #153 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:20:40 »
Thank you Leesofi!
I don't have a camera to take a good picture but oh well.
I don't know where I should put my clack lol. I like the brobot where it's at.

Offline MrexD

• aka mrwoodyxd
« Reply #154 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 12:43:51 »
Thanks leesofi!
Pok3r MX CLears

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #155 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 13:08:33 »
Thanks Bros with nice photo. :)
V1 caps found their position.

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #156 on: Fri, 25 July 2014, 22:09:40 »
I have to add one more photo....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 03:50:51 »
Thank you Leesofi!
Show Image

I can give your Clack a good home :D

Offline C5Allroad

« Reply #158 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 11:58:51 »
Thank you Leesofi!
Show Image

I can give your Clack a good home :D
He going to have a home on F12 once I get some tape or some sort of plastic wrap to make the stem thicker.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 12:30:36 »
Still waiting on mine I think :( I've not been home today so it might be there waiting for me, but the tracking says it's still on a van it was loaded onto this morning =/

It best not go all the way back to Korea!!

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 12:56:24 »
 ^ Same, waiting on mine, too. Hopefully ours will arrive soon!

Grats on the others getting theirs. They look great in their photos!

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 26 July 2014, 16:51:07 »
Got mine yesterday, so nice. ;D Thanks again.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #162 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 18:01:27 »
WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I GOT MINE! THX AGAIN LEESOFI!

Let's realize what Leesofi has done for us. He GAVE AWAY, not one, not two, not three, not four, not five, but SIX Brobot V1's. That is amazing, and thanks again for giving to the community!

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 22:41:59 »
Finally done.
thanks all and enjoy :)

Offline Kiwi_321

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 23:30:25 »
They look so cool against the backlight kb's. Some very happy people posting and rightfully so! Good giveaway

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:47:27 »
Keep lurking and carry on... little 2nd round will be start  before spring.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:50:27 »
My body is ready Lee

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:51:46 »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 17:58:14 »

Round 2?  Oh, nice!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 18:03:00 »
I'll be here :-*

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 18:54:27 »

Wicked, the V1 is one of my most favourite designs. Eyes shall remain peeled for your giveaway!  ;D

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #171 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 19:18:25 »

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 19:37:22 »
List : keyset, bb, cc, leds, etc.
 I need to time for clean up boxes and find things what I can share to you before move to newlyweds home.
Sadly I dont have bb v1 anymore. That was all of I had.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 20:00:43 »
 I need to time for clean up boxes and find things what I can share to you before move to newlyweds home.

Yay!  Things to share are always fun. 

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 20:03:28 »

:eek: Oh yessssssssssss!

• * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 20:21:03 »

This is gonna be good!

Thanks so much for doing all this leesofi!

Offline raymogi

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 20:22:54 »
leesofi sharing the love  :-*
Please feed my addiction.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #178 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 20:32:20 »

What a tease :P

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #179 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 21:13:48 »
Very nice of you leesofi. Can't wait! I hope you are able to get a GID clack :)

Offline dohbot

« Reply #180 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 21:19:24 »
Wow this is cool! I'll wait here
That GHer who likes sloths... A lot.

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #181 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 21:21:29 »
wow what a huge giveaway :O amazing

the original BBv1 giveaway was pretty crazy too

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #182 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 21:21:39 »
Okay.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 07 January 2016, 21:28:03 »
Thank you all for your interest. I can`t handle it fast cuz busy with work and prepare the wedding etc.
I will un-lock the thread or make new one after giveaway is ready. I think it will be middle of February or delay to end.