Author Topic: [Giveaway] Brobot V1s (done)  (Read 18499 times)

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
[Giveaway] Brobot V1s (done)
« on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 02:16:08 »
[Giveaway] Brobot V1s

- Before the starting stroy, I`m not good at english(specially long-term english). -

Hello, Bros. I am Big fan of Brocaps from korea.
I will share this BBv1 caps. This caps are early works of Brocaps and i got from him as $+gift.

Some story about my keyboard hobby.
Actually, I had plan to collect BBv1. i thoguht collecting novelty caps of keyboard hobby is one of fun.
On second thought, i joined geekhack community for sharing korean good things to worldwide.
I am fall in Novelty caps and lose my first intention.

Somehow i making orange, toxic dream, but my reputation feels bad in mind.
Most trade and deal was nice, but some few troubles with premium price (my ignore list tell me that) and DrugER friend.
But i am Okay. Everythings show and He was swindler.

i was tired and while lurking keyboarding and stopped these collecting, nowon, i think sharing these good things is better than personal satisfaction.

Anyway, i like these geekhack i want to share my litte things.

Let's get to the point.
I dont know these caps actual name. So I named as number.
edit : All caps are for cherry MX switches.
Rule is simple.
- Reply with your story about first step of keyboard hobby(geekhack). (not have to long story)
- Two caps per one person.(Totally,three users get two caps)
 > changed : 1 cap per person (reason of huge participation)
- I will choose random(color also random)
- Winner will get PM and should pay shipping fee.(EMS post service)
- Deadline : 16th July

I hope guys enjoy this giveaway and chance to think back your original intention of keyboard hobby and passion.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Winners (cap number on pic - new owner for next sharing.)
1 - MrexD
2 - fuzzybaffy
3 - Vibex
4 - HUNTERANGEL121
5 - katushkin
6 - infiniti

i will send pm to winners for shipping. After all shipping pay is done, i will shot all package on one day.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 July 2014, 22:26:40 by leesofi »

Bro Caps AI:MKII prototype Alu BroBot V2 MX
Clack Factory ICE Test-Sample #J11TG-s5A

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
Re: [Giveaway] Brobot V1s
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 02:22:05 »
Wow what an awesome giveaway, very generous!

My story started a little over a year ago, had bought my first mech a few months earlier and wanted to dress it up with some nice caps. After some searching around I discovered the Toxic group buy and signed up! Never did wind up with a set of Toxic keys but this place has been draining my wallet ever since. Between Bros, Clacks and GMK GB's I don't think it will ever be safe again hahaha
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 02:23:54 »
Wow what an awesome giveaway, very generous!

My story started a little over a year ago, had bought my first mech a few months earlier and wanted to dress it up with some nice caps. After some searching around I discovered the Toxic group buy and signed up! Never did wind up with a set of Toxic keys but this place has been draining my wallet ever since. Between Bros, Clacks and GMK GB's I don't think it will ever be safe again hahaha

haha, start was small but geekhack make our wallet empty.
Thanks your story.

Offline cphead

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 02:29:10 »
Appreciate what you are doing.

I came to GH looking to join group buys and maybe pick up a few novelty keys (haven't had much luck in that department, but we'll see  :p). My first GB was Ivan's failed GMK dark gray (rip). Later I developed an unhealthy obsession with custom keyboards. Since then I've learned a lot and enjoyed reading/sharing knowledge about keyboards in general. There's definitely a lot of great content buried on this site if you can dig it up.  :thumb:

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 03:05:54 »
Whoa, this is very kind of you to host this generous V1 Geek Hack give a way good sir! You already know I admire these very much and drool over any of the colors you would choose. I would never sell or trade the cap and it would sit with my V1s in great company. I love these very much. I also love how much you post orange! Alright on to my story sir.   :cool:

I am a web designer and I use keyboards everyday for a long period. I always thought there was nothing wrong with my keyboards though. My fingers would start to get a bit sore..
I have always used rubberdome until a year ago when I finally figured, you know what, my keyboard feels quite odd and un responsive. There has to be a better way! So I researched keyboard top boards. All mechanical Cherry MX came up in Google search lists. Newegg was the top competitor for stores. So I figured hey I will give this a shot! I bought a Rosewill with brown switches since the switch sounded like I would enjoy it. Not too light not too loud. I really did enjoy the keyboard! Untill....  I found Geekhack in Google Search looking at Rosewill Mini USB future issues. I was HOOKED.. No joke right there when I say HOOKED! I seriously was on here 24/7 for a couple months straight.. People thought I was spamming but I simply could not peel my eyes away from the forum and I had soooo many posts that I wanted to reply to that I found! I ended up buying a HHKB Pro 2 and then went down the Topre path. I have gotten so many boards and caps since and made a TON of friends who I talk to quite frequent. I still to this day have been on the forum every single day and check it all the time. I love mechanical keyboards and it is my number 1 hobby ever since day one. :) Good luck to all, Bro Caps Bro Bot V1 is one of the most beautiful caps ever created.  Thanks for putting on this event!  :thumb:

Dustin
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:38:08 by dustinhxc »

Offline Distilled

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 03:08:30 »
Awesome giveaway. Super nice of you.

I first found GH a few years ago (2010) while looking to upgrade my old microsoft keyboard. I spent hours on here (mostly as a way of avoiding studying and writing papers) searching for the perfect keyboard. I finally settled with a MX brown Ducky. At the time I was only just able to justify the price and spend hours agonising over if it was worth it. Then I found groupbuys and the wallethack began. This was followed by the discovery of Artisan keys (clacks then bros) and finally recently customs. I now have 4 boards and am planing 3 more before the end of the year. Oh how reasonable my old ducky seems now!

Offline twiddle

• Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 03:30:33 »
Really appreciate you running this. :thumb:
I'd had a BlackWidow running mx blues at home for a few years. Recently I decided that I could stand the Apple scissor switch keyboards at work no longer. I found my way to reddit while looking for some information on quieter switches, and decided to start lurking here (almost in spite of certain people over there) a bit over a month ago. I'm slowly disappearing into a vortex of GBs and artisan caps and custom scratch builds, though as of yet I have none of these things ;)

Offline leesofi

• super lurking
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 04:46:44 »
thanks for telling nice storys. :)

Offline Kayla

• :3
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 05:01:51 »
Ive always wanted mechs, but the decision to jump into the mech crowed was basically set for me when I started to play osu! a rhythm game played with mouse or graphic tablet. Because the inputs are so quick (210+ bpm two key alternating) I needed a keyboard and a switch which would register high and reset consistantly. I got a mech for that reason. Before that, I always lurked on here because I wanted to get into mechs sort of like how people get into cars.. modifying their car and the like, but I didnt do enough typing or gaming to justify the purchase. Or.. I did, I just didnt know I did.

Now I will never look back. :3

Offline MrexD

• aka mrwoodyxd
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 05:06:13 »
Always wanted a little bro.

Can't remember when i first joined GH. Almost a year ago perhaps? The only reason I bought a mechanical keyboard in the first place was because my GF broke my Lycosa spacebar. If that hadn't have happened i wouldn't have bothered - I loved that keyboard!
However, being new and sticking to what I knew i bought a Blackwidow with Blues -- weren't too bad but way too loud. Then I started researching what i had gotten myself into - different switches, layouts etc.

Through a friend of a friend i managed to purchase a Noppoo Choc mini with reds and the rest is history. I joined GH just as the round of GMK purple mods GB had finished, managed to pick up some spares for my noppoo. Then purchased a Poker II with Reds, a 6GV2 with Blacks for work - sold the blackwidow in the process and now i'm customising these to be my own. Added LEDs to my poker which was cool. Added a bit of colour to all of my boards from the Tai Hao groupbuy as well. Now just looking for those unique additions.

Sorry for the essay! Thanks for the great giveaway
Pok3r MX CLears

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 05:31:39 »
Very generous, thank you for this opportunity :)

I joined GH to try to find a replacement switch for an NEC APC-H4100E keyboard that I salvaged from work.  I am still looking.

But someone convinced me that MX blue would be similar, so I bought a Ducky Shine with MX blues and red backlighting.  I loved that keyboard - I still have it on my desk and use it for gaming, albeit with Nathan's Set on it.

At some stage I bought my first Clack.  My first set of custom keycaps.  Another Ducky Shine.  An HHKB.  More novelty keycaps.  A couple of Model M, which I cleaned up and still use (one of them, at least).

A few more keyboards, a few more Clacks, five or six sets from the first Tai Hao GB, and then I finally got my first BroBot V2.  And some more keyboards.

Now I have more posts than keycaps, few enough Clacks and BroBots V2 that you could count on two hands, but still no BroBot V1.

I never seem to have been in the right place at the right time to get a V1 BroBot, so I thank you again for this opportunity :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Toxic-i-

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 05:53:05 »
My Story is short. I search for the best mechanical keyboard. Found this Forum. Buy a keyboard. See what i can do with cherry MX caps. Search in this forum. Ohhhh Bro Caps. Ohhh CTRL Alt Team :) Ohhh Binge ..... Many Many Caps , but no chance to buy :( To much traffic on the sales ...
I have no Bro Bot Cap. I hope that someday I get a Bro Cap or 2 :)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:05:30 »
This is amazing! I've been dying to get a V1 Bro! Thank you so much for running this very generous giveaway, leesofi!

I found GeekHack when the ****ty HP rubber dome board I was using at work died and our PC dept. gave me a Dell KB113P rubber dome to replace it. The built in riser on the bottom of the case kept the keyboard on a permanent slant that had my wrists aching after 20 minutes. I started looking at finding a nice, high quality replacement and just happened to stumble on GeekHack. I saw Ivans groupbuy for the pitch black pbt set and it was downhill from there  :))

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Psybin

• of Rallos Zek
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:07:48 »
Cool thread, this is very kind of you!

My introduction to mechanical keyboards was due to two different factors. One was going back to college, the other was Everquest (which I had to retire from, not enough time).

I returned from a deployment and bought a new Asus gaming laptop. I used it as a laptop for the first month or so, then just docked it and used two external monitors. I used a cheap OEM keyboard from work and found that the weird key profile was causing me to misstype a lot while writing papers for school or playing/talking on EQ. I  pulled the trigger on a MX black full sized Filco Ninja. I loved that board but the heavier switches kept throwing me off. I then bought a MX red Nighthawk keyboard, but found those switches too light (and the case rubber coating sucks). I found Geekhack while researching the Ducky Shine 2.

Since finding wallet hack I bought the Shine 2, and have since sold it, the Filco, and Nighthawk, RF 55g, RF 104u, Leopold MX White, two CM Storms, and a Monoprice board. I've tried as many switches as I could, ultimatly wanting to daily drive every type of switch at some point. My normal use boards are a Code MX Green at work and Code MX White at home, and a MX Blue Ducky YOTS as back up. Nothing to me is as good as  thick PBT key set on some mx switches. My end game board is a full sized GON which I'm liquidating some gear and putting some money aside for some time this year.

Shortly after finding GH I came across the Artisan cap subculture and was quickly sucked in. Clacks and Bro V1s were before my time and nearly impossible to obtain, but I've snagged some GirlDC caps, many Gaskmask caps, Binges, and BroBots V2s (I keep failing at KBK cap sales). The chase is half the fun, keeping a tab open to the spy link all day, or seeing that counter go down to zero on a BroBot sale is such a rush (my heart thumps so hard I hear it in my ears), or checking my emails as soon as they hit my phone just incase its a GH alert!

I think ultimately what really sucked me in the most was the photography users post of their boards with artisan caps here. They are so aesthetically pleasing to my eye, I'm not sure what I like most, using my boards or looking at them. It reminds me of looking at some high end brakes of a sports car through the wheels, it’s the small details that make the biggest difference.

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:10:21 by Psybin »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:10:49 »
I was getting back into playing StarCraft competitively and was searching around for what equipment was was good at the time, and tried to find reasons why it was better than the DT-35 from PC Bangs. Stumbled upon a thread here, and then actively began researching about mechanical keyboards and why they are better. At that time, it had begun its growth in the eSports scene as well.

To this day I still haven't found a keyboard that proved to be better than the dt35. But I've had a lot of fun on the way.

My original intentions and passion for keyboards was to enjoy gaming! :D

감사합니다!
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:55:46 by Sifo »
I love Elzy

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:23:36 »
I remember very good when my now number one hobby started.

It was a cold winter day, and i was on a walk with our dog at the danube river. The river was frozen, and only a view people were outside. The sun was very low and made a great light. I was tired from the long walk and took a seat at a bench. I got bored, took the smartphone and thought i need a new keyboard for my battlestation at home. The days before i saw strange keyboards with 'big' keycaps posted on the internet (opposite to my beloved Apple Aluminum board), and wanted to buy a gamer keyboard. All of these keyboards were ugly, and so i ordered a Filco TKL. I ordered also a keycap set from WASD Keyboards. I was excited to get those caps, but when they arrived, i was disappointed, because of the cheap quality. So i registered at Geekhack and Deskthority to participate in group buys and learn more about these mechanical keyboards.

I even have a picture of this day...
More

Now a few months later i have 6 different keyboards, a lot of caps, switches, tools, but unfortunately no Brobot!
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:36:22 by madhias »
... ...

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 06:51:41 »
Very nice of you to host a giveaway like this. :)

Basically, I was tired of my multiple Razer Blackwidow 2013 Elite's breaking down, so I started Googling in search of a better keyboard. Previously I thought that the Blackwidow was a top notch keyboard of course. :)) Damn you pro gamers! I slowly noticed that every link I clicked on was a link to "Geekhack.org". After reading through some threads I decided to make an account. I was also browsing YouTube videos and stumbled upon WhiteFireDragon's channel... ever since that day I was hooked. :P
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 07:15:11 »
Awesome of you to give these away.

My story is just a few months in age. To back track I began saving to build my first custom pc about a year ago and back in January the build was finally finished and I was using a Logitech wireless unit that I was extremely unhappy with. A buddy of mine told me about "mechanical keyboards" and how they are awesome to type on, but I just couldn't justify $200 for a keyboard, one day though I stumbled upon a $70 QFR and purchased it. Ive loved it since I received it and absolutely love the customization aspect. I found Geekhack through searching fir custom keycap sets, the Toxic set is what made me signup. I never purchased Toxic (i dont like waiting .... lol), but so far ive spent entirely too much on keycaps and building wooden stuff. Ive dove head first into the mech life and my wallet is PO'd!

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 07:20:25 by tigersharkdude »

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 07:39:18 »
It all started in late 2012 when my MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 would no longer register some keypresses.  I picked up a simple Logitech rubberdome to get by (still have it in my rotation as a reminder of simpler times :rolleyes:).

While on a trip in HK, I purchased a Ducky Shine II with white LEDs and brown switches.  Then I got into modifications, stickering, lubing, plasti-dip...and it ended up like this:

Then 2 modded QFRs and a sprit 60%...what's next?  I don't know. :confused:

I came for the keyboards (and the caps ^-^) but stayed for the community.  As a testament to this, I became part of the staff and now bug people to tag photos in the classifieds. :))

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 07:54:39 »
You are a good person, leesofi. Much respect for doing this.

It was about three years ago when I got my first mech, upgrading from a keyboard that just stopped working. I somehow stumbled on EliteKeyboards and took note of the models they were selling. Upon researching those models, I discovered Cherry MX switches and became very intrigued. I like cherry blues very much. :) I remember lurking on GH at the time, but only briefly. I bought my first Leopold from EK, full-size otaku with MX blue. Then, I ordered another Leopold board, tenkeyless otaku with MX brown just about a week later. Fast forward some time, until a few months ago when I wanted to see what upgrades I could do for my MX blue board, and I found GH  :thumb:. Now I have quite a few keyboards and related-projects. I love hanging out on GH. My wallet hates me for it, but hey, you can't take it to the grave with you. :p

Cheers!
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:07:44 »
I got into geekhack, I believe, back at around year 2010 (or 2011). Before I was introduced to geekhack, I surfed a different tech forum, and one of the guys suggested me to check out this forum.

At the time I was just looking for a replacement for a cheap rubberdome keyboard I had lying around, but a really good replacement. Little did I know at the time that there were such amazing keyboards as the Cherry MX-based keyboards (at the time it was mostly Filco), and the Topre keyboards. Now I own a 45-g Topre board, and a Filco, Cherry MX Brown board, most likely thanks to this site.

Back in 2010/2011 were some interesting days. That was when Cherry MX Reds were just becoming popular, and the Filco with MX Reds were going for a marked up $170. This was also before Coolermaster, Razer, Logitech, and all these other "gamer" companies started adopting Cherry MX switches. It's surprising to see how everything has all kind of blew up since then.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:24:36 »
I am a software developer and I spend pretty much all day in front of a computer.  I was working on my laptop keyboard for a long time, but I really wanted to use multiple monitors, so I put my laptop and my monitor on a stand so I could work on them both at eye level.  The only keyboard I had at the time was an Apple Aluminum and it was starting to get on my nerves.  It just didn't feel right and since I work so much on the computer, I just had to find something better.

In researching what I should get, I ran into geekhack.  I was basically just a lurker.  I did a lot of research on here and I may have even posted a couple questions, but for the most part I did not participate.  I got a lot of good information and I ended up purchasing a Filco (browns) and a QFR (blues).  After falling in love with my Filco, I starting coming back more to just see what else people talked about on GH.  Thats when the craziness began...

I am currently typing on a board I built with LEDs, sip sockets, lubed and stickered switches and custom springs in a case I designed and built myself.  I have the guts of 3-5 more keyboards on their way to me in some timeframe or another and I am basically building keyboards that I feel I might like to try them out. 

I have recently started buying some custom caps from Bro (something I swore I would never get into), so I need to keep myself reigned in a bit so I don't spend all my hard earned money.  :)

Thank you very much for the generosity and the chance for these wonderful caps.  Cheers...
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:26:36 by swill »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:35:25 »
Thank you so much for doing this giveaway, leesofi! You are a truly colorful person, and your presence here on Geekhack makes the forum more interesting by extension.

I have used mechanical keyboards for a sizable portion of my life, since I first got into computers in the days before rubber domes were a common keyboard technology. You can read more about my history with IBM Model M's here.

I went looking for a modern keyboard with some of the characteristics of my beloved Model Ms, and during my research, I found Geekhack in early 2012. I was immediately drawn to the breadth and depth of technical knowledge gathered here in one place. Not only that, but there was definitely a "frontier" spirit and DIY attitude that was pervasive on the forum at that time. If there was something that someone wanted, but that didn't exist or wasn't available yet, people made it themselves. I learned a lot about keyboards very quickly, and I have tried to pass on that knowledge to others. I am still learning, and still trying to pass on what I know. I have made some good friends here on Geekhack, and they are the reason I visit the forum often. I have spent too much time and money on this hobby, but it has rewarded me in so many ways.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 08:41:10 »
Before I even knew about mechanical keyboards, I was appalled by one of my friend's keyboards with backlighting and macro keys. I decided to look around for some keyboards that I would like.
I almost bought a membrane keyboard, however after I saw a video by LinusTechTips, I saw the beauty of mechanical keyboards and I fell into the rabbit hole that was mechanical keyboards.
I eventually ended up with a Corsair K90, and although it used non-standard keycaps and part of it was membrane I was very satisfied.
Right now however, I am using a Poker X that someone else modded with an SS backplate with clears and it feels great! Hopefully I will get into soldering my own keyboards once I get a soldering kit.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Belfong

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:11:43 »
Great giveaway! You have a big heart sir!

My first PC, 20 years ago, was a Acer 386. It came with a mechanical keyboard although at that time it was just a keyboard to me. Since then I have had many keyboards but I always go back to the Acer. I tried ThinkPad keyboards, Apple transparent keyboard, lots of rubber dome. But I always return to the Acer.

A year ago, in a gaming forum, I read about mech keyboards and that was then I realize that my good old Acer is a mech. I'm curious as to what switch it was and google it. Google took me to Geekhack and I posted a picture of my keyboard. The funny thing was, I posted it in the 'Post Your Clack' thread. Hey I don't know what is clack and in that thread people are posting photos of their keyboard. Needless to say I made a fool of myself and a mod move it to New Member.

I learned then that the Acer had an Alps. And so I was curious about MX switches and bought a Razer from a friend at $90. It was a great deal and it came with Blue. I know I love Blue because I love clicky switch (the Acer was clicky). I told that was it. My end game keyboard until I read about the Code Clear! My curiosity got better and I spent $150+$50 shipping on that keyboard. $200! I must be out of my mind.

Things got worse (or maybe now my perspective have reversed. Things are better).. I bought a HHKB and then a RealForce 55g. Sold off the Razer. Then started to buy BroBots, fall in love with those little guys. Spend more money on group buys. And then started to be curious about Clacks. And...... I'm wallet hacked. Totally!!

I made lots of friends in GH. I never knew I have so much to talk about in a forum. And I never expected so many nice people around here. It's Justine year but boy, it was one heck of a journey!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:21:29 »
Wonderful giveaway, sir! You've always struck me as very kind and polite, and I love to see giveaways like this that bring the community together even more.

Like swill, I'm a programmer, and I spend all day on a computer. I first heard of mechanical keyboards from an acquaintance from work – I had heard of them before, but hadn't considered them as something I needed. I found /r/mechanicalkeyboards, my first introduction to the keyboard community, and after seeing how excited everyone was about these things, I got my first one: a QFR with browns.

Soon after I joined GeekHack, because that seemed to be where the Real Conversation™ was happening. I'm really glad that I joined. I've met a ton of great people, some of whom I now consider good friends and talk to on a daily basis. Like many, the wallethack hit me hard. I've had that QFR, an FC660M, a Poker II, two completely custom MX 60%'s that I built myself, a 60% Alps, and a couple HHKBs. I've gotten well-involved collecting Bro's caps as well, though I've so far managed to avoid paying the big bucks to folks who flip his caps.

While not without its faults, GeekHack is a well above average community, and I'm happy to be here.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:25:27 »
I started out just like a lot of others here. I've been playing video games my entire life, and started playing competitively late in middle school. I moved over to PC while I was in high school and I was beginning my love affair with keyboards. I've had probably every razer and logitech board that wasn't mechanical, and at the end of a rubberdome lifecycle, I started looking around for something more durable. This was during my Sophomore year in college. I instantly saw that the ducky Shine II was going to be released soon, and seeing how everyone was giving it rave reviews prior to release, I decided to go with that.

Upon receiving my Shine II, I never looked back. This has become my main hobby, and to an extent, my obsession. I really don't game half as much as I used to because I'm either modding, or working on school work. From my Shine II, I went to a Pure Ltd. That was an awesome board and my first intro to 60%. From my Pure, I sold my Ducky and bought my first Realforce. I was a little apprehensive at first seeing the comparisons to RD, but I went with it anyways. From the day I received my Realforce, 55g Topre has been my absolute favorite switch.

Not long after getting my Realforce, I started lurking here. As more and more interest grew, I made an account. Then, once Bunny and the Ctrl Alt crew got the Toxic group buy up, I became active. I've made some absolutely awesome friends here, and I love being a part of the moderation team. Most of the people here have gotten me to really dive into the hobby (photoelectric) while others have just been great friends and a blast to talk to (epzy, belfong, etc.)

It has been an absolute blast getting to know most of the people here, and I'm very glad I decided to get into keyboards over whatever else I was looking into at the time. It may be a time and cash sink, but it's more fun than I ever could have imagined.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 09:44:31 »
I came to GH because retspiR told me to be better than smallfry

nobody's better than smallfry
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:12:13 »
Wow, this is an amazing giveaway.
My story isn't all that interesting, but I'll share anyway. ;D One day when I was browsing /g/ I saw a thread on mechanical keyboards. They sounded really interesting, so I decided I should grab one. I picked myself up a WASD v1 and fell in love. About a year later I I was browsing /g/ again, and came across a pre production photo of the Tex Yoda. It instantly interested me. After a reverse image search I found my way to Geek Hack. Then I spent all my money on keyboards. ;) Now I use a JD40 as my main board and a Poker II for gaming.

Offline d00gan

« Reply #29 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:18:35 »
I am brand spankin new to this community, My first post was not too long ago trying to buy a keyboard with some browns in it, but that fell through. I have since bought a rosewill and holy cow why haven't i bought one of these sooner!

I originally found GH through R/Battlestations while looking for ideas to hold my triple monitor setup that I recently bought. I kept seeing all these awesome fancy keyboards everyone was raving about and eventually found a link here. Lurked for several months now currently trying to figure out how to fund/build an ErgoDox and what style keycaps to get for my rosewill. A (in)famous brocap would set off the keycap search with style!

-d00gan the Brocapless

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:22:57 »
The first time I used a mechanical keyboard was when I was a kid in the 80s. But like most of us I didn't pay any attention to it, and didn't notice to much of a difference with other non mechanical keyboards since I was only typing with two fingers.
Now fast forward to about 5 moths ago. I was looking to get some kind of gaming pad (not a console controller), and Googled something like “custom keyboards”. From there I came across web sites like GeekHack, Deskthority, and Reddit's r/MechanicalKeyboards, and said goodbye to my Sidewinder x4 and to any extra money I would ever have.
Living in France, I wanted to get one with an AZERTY layout (sine then I now get QWERTY). So I decided to go with the Logitech G710+, since I already had a their G930 wireless headset and liked the driver software.
As of today I'm the proud owner of a Logitech G710+, a Keycool 87II, an Apple Extended keyboard II, Dell AT101W, IBM Model M, and I have an ErgoDox on it's way.
Don't ask me why I have six sets of keycaps for only two (soon to be three) Cherry MX keyboards... Last time there was a Gasmask sale I ended up getting two, and for some strange reason I now have four. I'm scared that if I find more artisan keycaps in the house, I'll find less money on my bank account.
mechs4life

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:36:05 »
The first time I used a mechanical keyboard was when I was a kid in the 80s. But like most of us I didn't pay any attention to it, and didn't notice to much of a difference with other non mechanical keyboards since I was only typing with two fingers.
Now fast forward to about 5 moths ago. I was looking to get some kind of gaming pad (not a console controller), and Googled something like “custom keyboards”. From there I came across web sites like GeekHack, Deskthority, and Reddit's r/MechanicalKeyboards, and said goodbye to my Sidewinder x4 and to any extra money I would ever have.
Living in France, I wanted to get one with an AZERTY layout (sine then I now get QWERTY). So I decided to go with the Logitech G710+, since I already had a their G930 wireless headset and liked the driver software.
As of today I'm the proud owner of a Logitech G710+, a Keycool 87II, an Apple Extended keyboard II, Dell AT101W, IBM Model M, and I have an ErgoDox on it's way.
Don't ask me why I have six sets of keycaps for only two (soon to be three) Cherry MX keyboards... Last time there was a Gasmask sale I ended up getting two, and for some strange reason I now have four. I'm scared that if I find more artisan keycaps in the house, I'll find less money on my bank account.
mechs4life

#mechlife !!

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:38:35 »
thanks for telling nice storys. :)

You're welcome! :) thank you sir!  :thumb:

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:44:18 »
My story started, as I am sure many have, by being a member of reddit. I heard about what a great community /r/mechanicalkeyboards is, and wanted to check it out as I was hoping to buy some new caps. From there I heard about GeekHack, and the community here is even better! (As evident in this thread) I lurked for a few months before making my account, and since then have spent over $500 on keyboards and keysets, and now my wallet hates me..  :))

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 10:48:07 »
This hobby (read: addiction) started about 2 years ago when I traded an H100 for a Ducky "OCN edition" 1087 with blues.  I love building and modding computers, so I am always at my pc. The Ducky was my first mechanical and once I realized I could tinker with it, that was the beginning of the end.  I quickly found Geekhack and was instantly drawn to the Toxic set.  I was also drawn to the people making their own caps which I still want to dabble in, but just haven't had the funds.  What I didn't realize at the time was how good of a community this was.  I came from OCN where you may get to know a couple people, but here, everyone is talking about everything and I quickly realized that I would be spending a lot less time on OCN.  The amount of knowledge and comradeship around here has me logging on whenever I am around a pc.  I am now up to 3 mx boards (and 5 keycap sets - with more coming), and a handful of artisan caps that I treasure dearly.   

On a side note, the V1 Brobot is my favorite cap of all time.  I grew up with the original Transformers (I own nearly all of them still - though they are well used), and the idea of having Optimus on my keyboard makes me giggle like I was 8 years old getting a Transformer toy from the store. 
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 13:56:06 »
Like Sifo and others, I started the journey into mechanical keyboards through eSports. I was and still am a huge StarCraft fan. I used to play *a lot* but I don't have the time now to play at the level I would like to. I was writing a blog on StarCraft 2 and playing in some small tournaments as well as watching tons and tons of streams. I would hear the clicking of a mechanical keyboard on stream and eventually convinced myself to get a Razer Blackwidow. After using that for about a year, a friend at MLG introduced me to his Filco Majestouch-es. I was so enamored with that board that I started looking more into keyboards. I stumbled onto DanGWanG's blog which led me to Geekhack. I lurked for a couple weeks before but while I was laid up with a concussion, I joined the forum to entertain myself and learn more. I eventually bought that Filco Majestouch, Valentine's R1, and a matching cable. Then I got sucked into Geekhack and mechanical keyboards :D.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 14:42:28 »
The first mechanical keyboard that I got interested in was a Filco Majestouch Ninja I saw in a LinusTechTips review - I had to own it.

So I made it my top wish for Christmas and thankfully got it, only to discover my father had gotten the regular version not the ninja that I so desired.

Not wanting to send anything back or make my father feel bad, I tried to find out whether I could get some ninja caps for my filco only to discover a huge world of custom caps and the enthusiasm of communities like geekhack and r/mechanicalkeyboads.

Ever since I got my blank caps for my filco I've been hooked to keyboard-related stuff.

Offline hrinfinity

• typebeast
  • uptempo
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 19:06:16 »
I used to watch a lot of GSL a few years ago and was immediately drawn to MarineKingPrime's DT35. I started looking into an upgrade from my Logitech Illuminated because of its ghosting issues. Around that time, a friend of mine had acquired a Meka G1 and I immediately fell in love! I found geekhack while researching mechanical keyboards and ended up with my first keyboard (Ducky Shine I). I lurked the forums for a while and was super bummed when the site was hacked in 2012. I spent some time on Deskthority for a while, but ended up back here once everything was up and running again.

The community here has been extremely helpful and generous with their knowledge. Although I don't post as much as I would like to, it feels good to be in the company of other keyboard fanatics. I'm still waiting for my first Clack / Bro (fingers crossed)  :D

Thank you for doing this giveaway leesofi!
TGR-Jane CE | FC660C | DK9008 Snake

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 22:40:41 »
My first first introduced me to mechs with his Corsair K65. I now am slightly more devoted :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 23:20:19 »
Technically, the first mechanical keyboard I used was a Model F when I used to play DOS based Sierra video games on my buddy's IBM AT. I believe I got my first computer shortly after which was a Leading Edge Model D (8088) with a 30MB MFM hard drive :o, I think that keyboard had blue Alps, I forget. After that, it was mostly FK keyboards, 2001 & 9000.

Fast Forward to 2008, lurk around GH for almost a year, joined in 2009...I started playing video games with friends a lot more, I joined GH, Ripster's Lego pictures where in every thread...along with his posts. I forget if MW was still preaching about early versions of Windows in his posts, I believe he was, lol. Seems like it was a really small community back then. Anyways, I bought a Filco 87 w/ Browns from EK. That was my first quality mech keyboard. I think I sold it JD years ago, have no idea where it is now.

If I win, I'm going to pass to Dustin because he's a legit d00d and I know he's been working on v1 collection for days.

Thanks Leesofi.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 02 July 2014, 23:36:23 »
I started wanting a mechanical keyboard a little over a year ago.  So I started doing research and ended up finding my way to GH. Bought a Filco and have been here ever since  :D

The keyboards keep stacking up and I wake up wanting to come to this wonderful forum every day.

Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline 111Blueangel911

• A Toast!
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 00:09:34 »
Good on you for passing the torch! 
   :))

After being referred to GH from reddit in http://www.reddit.com/r/mechanicalkeyboards, I saved up money and got my first mech only 5 months ago... a Quickfire Rapid Tenkeyless. I then realized that the cool thing about having a mechanical keyboard is standing out from everyone else. I customized my board with alligator skin! http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=59752.0 

But... I really didn't like how it turned out.  :(

Two days ago I got a new keycap set in: ABS Doubleshot Red letters on white keys. https://www.massdrop.com/buy/doubleshot-abs-keycaps
I bought a new case and some orange spray paint last week. I'll try to spray a new pattern tomorrow.

I managed to get in on 'THE BROSET' group but with Bunnylake and Brocaps.... I'm pumped. I've told all my friends, but they don't seem jealous... Oh well. More fun for me! :))

Four weeks ago I didn't know how to type, but now I'm determined. I'm at about 18 words per minute, but I get a little better each day.
And that's all I got to say about that.

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 01:55:24 »
Thanks leesofi, what a nice thing to do  :thumb:

My journey begins with my Moshi Luna keyboard (replaced my Logitech dinovo edge), I got it because I thought I wanted backlighting and a fancy aesthetic but really I never used the backlighting and I realised the feel of the keys is what was important. So I begin the usual search for something better. I bounced all over the place but soon noticed that geekhack and to a lesser extent deskauthority were the real hubs of information. Filco's caught my eye, because of the amazing build quality, and I decided to pull the trigger and bring one in from theKeyboardco (mx browns), great board but by that time it seems I had caught the bug and was already looking to try other switches, bought another Filco with black switches and at that point decided it was time to see what all the talk was about and try Topre. I did some research and decided to bring a type-s in from Japan. A friend of mine is working in Seoul so at the same time I asked him to bring me back a white Leopold tenkeypad to match it, so it would be more convenient at work.

It's almost a year down the line now and I couldn't be happier with my setup. Been spreading the good news that is mechanical keyboards since ;)

P.S. I am also almost at my goal of an WPM of about 100  ;D

Offline darkiedark

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 04:07:34 »
Back in the 80's and 90's my father worked for a company called Convergent which was later acquired by Unisys. At the time, Unisys was still reeling from their merger and competition with IBM was hot. Curious, he wondered, how much different could both their products be? He would bring home various components from both IBM and Unisys to draw comparisons of the differences to satiate his own curiosity. I assume that he found what he was looking for because everything was eventually neatly packed away. Years later when I was old enough to comprehend what I computer was. My Father dug out what was then a dusty old box packed with varies parts he had continue to collect throughout the 80's, inside, sitting next to a Burroughs B25 sat the IBM model M.

The thought of a mechanical keyboard hadn't crossed my mind again until the early 2012 when I purchased my first modern mk in the form of a CM Storm Trigger with MX brown. I had made my purchase, and I was happy. Not once I did suspect that there was such a huge community behind it. Fast forward to the present, my Trigger started acting up on me and I was on the market for a new keyboard. In the span of two months, I've managed to get my hands on one Corsair K70 (reds), Poker II with PBT (browns), White Poker II (blues) and this strange fixation for Bro Bot key caps. Seriously, I might have a problem haha. I must have been to the Bro Bot sub-forum 10 times today trying to figure out how to get my hands on them. Funny enough, while I was googling "brobot keycaps" I found this thread and decided to share my story at a chance for a v1.

I just realized that this story may have been a tad long but it's funny seeing how this came full circle after so many years. Also, I wanted to make my first post meaningful. c:
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 July 2014, 04:10:01 by darkiedark »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 05:21:52 »
Back in the 80's and 90's my father worked for a company called Convergent which was later acquired by Unisys. At the time, Unisys was still reeling from their merger and competition with IBM was hot. Curious, he wondered, how much different could both their products be? He would bring home various components from both IBM and Unisys to draw comparisons of the differences to satiate his own curiosity. I assume that he found what he was looking for because everything was eventually neatly packed away. Years later when I was old enough to comprehend what I computer was. My Father dug out what was then a dusty old box packed with varies parts he had continue to collect throughout the 80's, inside, sitting next to a Burroughs B25 sat the IBM model M.

The thought of a mechanical keyboard hadn't crossed my mind again until the early 2012 when I purchased my first modern mk in the form of a CM Storm Trigger with MX brown. I had made my purchase, and I was happy. Not once I did suspect that there was such a huge community behind it. Fast forward to the present, my Trigger started acting up on me and I was on the market for a new keyboard. In the span of two months, I've managed to get my hands on one Corsair K70 (reds), Poker II with PBT (browns), White Poker II (blues) and this strange fixation for Bro Bot key caps. Seriously, I might have a problem haha. I must have been to the Bro Bot sub-forum 10 times today trying to figure out how to get my hands on them. Funny enough, while I was googling "brobot keycaps" I found this thread and decided to share my story at a chance for a v1.

I just realized that this story may have been a tad long but it's funny seeing how this came full circle after so many years. Also, I wanted to make my first post meaningful. c:

Welcome to Geekhack!

Interesting thread for a first post ;) :))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 07:55:56 »
Very cool giveaway!

For a long time I thought that expensive keyboards were a waste of money. After all, if the keys are in the same spot, why would you type any better or faster on a keyboard with the same layout (barring non-standard layouts)? Well eventually I got around to reading some more about the benefits of mechanical keyboards over cheaper made rubberdomes. I came to the realization that since I'm a software engineer, the tools I use should be up to par with the amount that I use them. That's when I started becoming very interested in mechanical keyboards, and wanted to get a very solid model to start with, that would retain its value if I needed to trade up. I got a QWERkeys switch tester, and decided to buy my first mechanical board: my Ninja Filco Majestouch 2 with MX Reds, which I still type on daily. I've never been so happy with a purchase, and it's become a very fun and useful hobby over the last year or so!
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 09:40:30 »
My story is kind of short.. I was on another forum asking for keyboard advice and was directed to come here, I sniffed around here for a few days and decided to lurk to learn, I then decided on a keyboard and still waiting for it, it is my end game keyboard and the only revisions possibly needed to be done to the keyboard is possible switch change/get the beautiful keycaps I want, I ordered the lightsaver v2, and quite excited, also learned from a few users especially my friend Sifo.
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 11:21:18 »
Awesome giveaway!

It was two years ago when I heard about mechanical keyboards. The mech board in my eyes were for pro gamers. ( thanks to Razer..)
While I was saving up for a new PC, and googline how to build one, and what the hell a PSU was, I was looking for a keyboard for gaming. Now, most novice searches start off "mechanical gaming keyboard" or "mechanical keyboard for gaming"
I had discovered corsair, and their K90. I was amazed by how I found MX reds which at the time, I believed everything I read, I believed reds were the best for gaming and typing. I was also a major believer of macros, and how I thought I would use them all the time. Oh boy was I wrong, I never touched them, it was a spot on the board wherein was able to rest my palm...

I saw a ducky shine II a while later, I didn't know what it was, I didn't know what the different colors of the switches meant, I knew I wanted NKRO, which I wasn't sure if it had it. It said 6KRO and NKRO, so I was assuming it was the PS1 adapter that had NKRO, and the mobo I was pricing with the build didn't have a port for it.

During the summer, after I bought the PC, after I bought the K90, I started hating reds, I didn't know when I pressing a key, I wanted feedback after using my cousins BWU with blues, I started on deskthority and looked up all the switches on modern boards, browns blacks, reds, and blues. That was all I knew, I was really torn between reds and browns, so Google was handy, I found GH a orange and black Halloween themed forum. There were about 5 different threads that I read about 7-20 pages long.
I also started looking on EK and saw clacks, I didn't know they were hand made, or limited production, sooner or later, after countless hours of reading, searching and learning I settled on a shine III...

I now belong to wallet hack and am tempted to buy a new board already...
And although I still consider myself a novice when it comes to keyboards, I really did enjoy learning about a better way to type.

Offline darkiedark

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 13:24:02 »

Welcome to Geekhack!

Interesting thread for a first post ;) :))

Thanks!  I was going to post in the newbie thread with what I've manage to snag so far but this will do. Worst part of being a newbie, waiting the 60 day to participate in group buys haha.  :p

Offline mandoosle

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 03 July 2014, 21:05:56 »
Very cool giveaway leesofi, thank you!

About two months ago I finally pulled the trigger and bought my first mech, a Das Professional model S (blues). Now like any reasonable mech owner I had to deck this board out! Began to search for caps and I came across one of IvanIvanovich's groupbuys just in time to place an order, woot! And now I am patiently waiting for that order while browsing threads preparing my wallet for my next buy.  :cool: