Author Topic: Strawpoll about K3KC  (Read 35981 times)

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
Strawpoll about K3KC
« on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 14:47:23 »
Strawpoll Here: http://strawpoll.me/6177618

With the inability to easily find an affordable option for Clacks, is K3KC an alternative to you?

With the sale coming up in a few hours, I wanted to see what the community thinks of these caps nowadays since more and more time has elapsed since Clacks' last sale.
I'm sure a lot of newcomers in the hobby don't even remember the last time CF had a sale, so the majority of their information seeing ebay listings for the keycaps that go for $150+ quite easily.
On the other hand, K3KC has been consistent on seasonal sales as well as having a store with consistent stock.
I personally don't like the idea of someone copying another person's idea when it comes to something like artisan caps, but different things matter to different people.

What do you guys think?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: Strawpoll about K3KC
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 14:49:45 »
No.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 14:51:20 »
I would never buy a K3KC keycap.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 14:51:41 »
Thank you for your input dgneo  :))

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 14:54:45 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 14:56:20 »
Since I'm not on GH as often as I want to be, I was wondering if some of you GH'ers could help me out by shedding some light on how you feel about this subject, about K3KC, and about clack? I'm working on writing an article and would like to hear opinions from various communities about this issue :)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 14:56:23 »
reddit is that way ------>

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 14:57:46 »
Bro,

I actually originally started a poll and discussion on Reddit and they suggested I also open up the discussion to GH as well because I understand you all probably have much different opinions about the subject at hand. Could you help shed light on how you feel about the subject matter, K3KC, and clack in general?

Thank you

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 14:58:09 »
Do some googling and read the previous threads about this before making a new one.

Also,

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:00:44 »
Having a similar idea is completely different from taking someone's cap, creating a mold of it and selling it as your own.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:00:51 »
It's not that K3KC blatantly rips off keycaps that bothers me most; it's that people actually buy them.

I don't understand the whole fake-designer-purse/imitation-Apple mentality. Why buy something that blatantly rips off another's design, down to the actual name or scheme, if you're not buying the real deal? Doesn't buying the real product show that you're buying a combination of quality (subjective) and brand name (objective)? Whereas, if you get the fake product you're just buying it for the name.
The same applies to artisan caps. People in the mech world obviously know K3KC is ripping off just for a cash grab, but I don't get why you'd want to get them if anyone who knows the original design can tell immediately it's a fake.

I can understand something like jewelry where a certain design or color can be rather pleasing but the pricetag of the real thing can be too high, so you get something of a lesser value if it imitates just that color or shape. However, stuff like fake purses, tech that looks just like Apple products, or faux artisans imitates the real product down to the iota because they know it'll sell.

Maybe it just goes over my head. I was never into wearing name brands with the name sprawled across my chest or ass, or on my head or feet, so I guess I'll just never get the mentality.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:02:21 »

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:06:04 »
romevi,

Thanks for your input! I think different people think differently about the 'real' vs 'fake' aspect of designers. For many in the hobby it's definitely distinguishable which are clacks and which are k3kc clones. I definitely agree the real deal is always the better choice after all.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:06:30 »
Bro,

I actually originally started a poll and discussion on Reddit and they suggested I also open up the discussion to GH as well because I understand you all probably have much different opinions about the subject at hand. Could you help shed light on how you feel about the subject matter, K3KC, and clack in general?

Thank you

Fake Brocaps discussion and Fake Clack discussion

And then of course the ever pleasant ripster has posted his own compendium that thoroughly details this.

The guy even pretended to seek out Clack as a mentor so he could steal his designs. 

So

Dead horse. K3KC is a douche thief.

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:10:23 by bcredbottle »

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:07:34 »
It's not that K3KC blatantly rips off keycaps that bothers me most; it's that people actually buy them.

I don't understand the whole fake-designer-purse/imitation-Apple mentality. Why buy something that blatantly rips off another's design, down to the actual name or scheme, if you're not buying the real deal? Doesn't buying the real product show that you're buying a combination of quality (subjective) and brand name (objective)? Whereas, if you get the fake product you're just buying it for the name.
The same applies to artisan caps. People in the mech world obviously know K3KC is ripping off just for a cash grab, but I don't get why you'd want to get them if anyone who knows the original design can tell immediately it's a fake.

I can understand something like jewelry where a certain design or color can be rather pleasing but the pricetag of the real thing can be too high, so you get something of a lesser value if it imitates just that color or shape. However, stuff like fake purses, tech that looks just like Apple products, or faux artisans imitates the real product down to the iota because they know it'll sell.

Maybe it just goes over my head. I was never into wearing name brands with the name sprawled across my chest or ass, or on my head or feet, so I guess I'll just never get the mentality.

Some people appreciate the way an item looks and don't (or can't) dish out the cash necessary for the real thing. Rolex makes some very good looking watches. Would I pay $1000 or more for one? Most likely not since that's out of the range I'm willing to spend for the product. If there was a watch that looked identical to it, even if it was cheaply-made, more unreliable, and an evident knockoff (because of the way the second hand mechanism works), but it cost $50 I would certainly consider purchasing it.

Yes, the design is stolen from Rolex, but I think that's an issue for Rolex to take care of. I wouldn't have bought their watch anyways, at least not at that point. Maybe in the future I would get tired of the crummy knockoff and treat myself to the real deal. In the meantime though I would not complain about the fake.

Now this is not an entirely valid comparison since we are delving into more than just a product; it's art. However, with this too it's difficult to compare. I can't own a Picasso painting, but I can certainly buy a print to hang up in my own home.

This is also not the best comparison because paintings aren't really under copyright (or maybe they are?). I just think there's a lot to consider.

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:08:06 »
bcredbottle,

Thanks for the links! I'll definitely start reading through them so I can learn more about how various members of this community view this matter.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:09:34 »
The thing with knock off goods in general is you don't know where the money is going. This means you may be supporting a criminal organisation or a dissident organisation which may utilise funding for violent means. There is also the idea that it does support poorer people which may be struggling to survive in countries where work may not be easily available.

I am sure K3 is none these things and is just a twat that had the opportunity to make his own work but chose not to. If you are going to buy caps, support original artisans like Nubs, Doom, Krap, Bro and the long list of other people making nice things and participating in the community.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:12:14 »

Some people appreciate the way an item looks and don't (or can't) dish out the cash necessary for the real thing. Rolex makes some very good looking watches. Would I pay $1000 or more for one? Most likely not since that's out of the range I'm willing to spend for the product. If there was a watch that looked identical to it, even if it was cheaply-made, more unreliable, and an evident knockoff (because of the way the second hand mechanism works), but it cost $50 I would certainly consider purchasing it.

Yes, the design is stolen from Rolex, but I think that's an issue for Rolex to take care of. I wouldn't have bought their watch anyways, at least not at that point. Maybe in the future I would get tired of the crummy knockoff and treat myself to the real deal. In the meantime though I would not complain about the fake.

Now this is not an entirely valid comparison since we are delving into more than just a product; it's art. However, with this too it's difficult to compare. I can't own a Picasso painting, but I can certainly buy a print to hang up in my own home.

This is also not the best comparison because paintings aren't really under copyright (or maybe they are?). I just think there's a lot to consider.

If you can't buy a rolex why not buy another stylish watch that is closer to your budget? It's not like there's only one brand of watch that is good.

Same goes for artisans. There's a lot of great makers aside from Bro & Clack.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:12:40 »
I am sure K3 is none these things and is just a twat that had the opportunity to make his own work but chose not to.

I agree with you on this. After reading his logic behind copying Bro's designs he does come off as childish and immature. Which brings me to another point:

Some people just really don't care where their product comes from.

Half the clothes we wear may be produced in child-labor factories. Our food is harvested by the individuals that accept the lowest wage.

Again, not an entirely fair or valid comparison, but that's the general mentality.

If you can't buy a rolex why not buy another stylish watch that is closer to your budget?

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, maybe it's because for artisan caps the designs are extremely unique. There isn't another robot that looks like Bro's, or a Ninja that looks like HiddenPower's WoB series.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:16:24 by FLFisherman »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:14:46 »
K3 is ... just a twat that had the opportunity to make his own work but chose not to.

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:20:02 »

If you can't buy a rolex why not buy another stylish watch that is closer to your budget? It's not like there's only one brand of watch that is good.

Same goes for artisans. There's a lot of great makers aside from Bro & Clack.

I feel the same way. Rolexes are gorgeous and I'd never get a direct rip-off if I can get better watches for the price of a bootleg. Can I afford a CC with the aftermarket prices? No. Will I buy a fake? Absolutely not.
Again, that's just me. I'll be the first to say that the CC skull isn't my favorite design for a cap. But it's the original artisan and I appreciate the work that goes in it and look forward to the day I can own an original. (Through a sale, of course; I'll never pay aftermarket prices.)

I get that it's more art and obviously we can't have the original Picasso or something, but these pieces were made in more quantities with the intent of selling them. People flipping them is what inspired K3KC to start making his caps, it seems.

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:23:33 »
Romevi,

So you would say the issue that created this fake market is people flipping originals? I'd say this is an accurate description. It seems like more people today are interested in a very limited quantity of caps, so when those caps do hit the secondary market many sellers can get away with selling them 3, 4, 5 times their price and still have guaranteed buyers lined up.

Maybe a change in market circumstances would change this scenario, but how I see it at the moment is that there is a supply issue for the demand and there are others who want to fill that demand even if it's with a fake supply.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • You make my words I'm gonna get my grade 10
« Reply #22 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:31:18 »
I'd punch him in his nasty monster looking teeth. He's probably as tall as me too
AKA ShORT
AKA I'M DRUNK RIGHT NOW FITE ME

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:37:55 »
Half the clothes we wear may be produced in child-labor factories. Our food is harvested by the individuals that accept the lowest wage.

Again, not an entirely fair or valid comparison, but that's the general mentality.

Interesting point with sweatshops, there have been studies conducted after the shut-down of factories in less developed nations (particularly in the 90s I believe) due to western policy change/public outcry which have found those who were laid off either ended up working as prostitutes or relying on crime for survival. Of course kids should be in school, but people have to be able to survive first to then attend school. It is a really sad but interesting subject which highlights the fact that regardless of good intentions, you can really screw people up in the process of making yourself feel superior (I don't mean you, I mean people in general). Its like the South Park episode where they choose between the douche and the turd.

PS K3s still a twat

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:38:11 »
I'd punch him in his nasty monster looking teeth. He's probably as tall as me too
AKA ShORT

Drunk already? WEAK ASS ****, *****

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:42:26 »
Seeing this post prompted me to browse through their catalogue, I had only ever seen the fake CC's before, I had no idea they had such an extensive collection of complete ****!

demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:43:30 »
So you would say the issue that created this fake market is people flipping originals?

Nope. The market price is determined by supply and demand forces, true. But K3's decision to be an ******* and create knockoff versions of someone else's intellectual property has nothing to to with that. Proof of that is demonstrated here every day, with many other artisan makers producing caps of their own designs, and having successful sales of those designs.

in memoriam

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:51:30 »
So you would say the issue that created this fake market is people flipping originals?

Nope. The market price is determined by supply and demand forces, true. But K3's decision to be an ******* and create knockoff versions of someone else's intellectual property has nothing to to with that. Proof of that is demonstrated here every day, with many other artisan makers producing caps of their own designs, and having successful sales of those designs.

I think to some extent it does. From what I've witnessed, the caps that seem to sell at the highest price points on the secondary market are any CCs and the Bro caps, particularly the BB v2s.
That said, K3 has not made a BB to my knowledge, so there are other reasons he's got as well. (Editededed for correction.)
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:59:27 by romevi »

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:54:16 »
That said, K3 has not made a BB to my knowledge, so there are other reasons he's got as well.

Possibly he hasn't been able to get his hands  on a physical BB to copy?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:56:06 »
That said, K3 has not made a BB to my knowledge, so there are other reasons he's got as well.

Neither has he gotten the Cherokey but he copied that one.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:56:49 »
AKA ShORT

MIKE I swear to god right now
TRY AND HEADSHOT ME AT LEAST ONCE IN DEATHMATCH

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:57:25 »
I'm gonna admit this.

I met him on my summer break back to Vietnam and he showed me some of the caps he made. Out of those there was these caps that appeared just a blank keycaps but with different effect of color. And there the cap that impressed me the most has black on toxic green color, which the black shot appeared to be dripped into the green base while it's still not fully hardened. Well I actually was going to buy that, it is beautiful. But it was the last days before going back to Finland and the traveling things kept my head from the cap.
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:57:29 »

K3 has, and continues to make clones of my V2's. He sells them on taobao since I shut his PayPal site down.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:01:05 »

Neither has he gotten the Cherokey but he copied that one.

I just had a look at twits version and Bros version, they appear to have different detailing.

Offline Jema

• CHIPOTLE WHERE
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:02:38 »
I'm gonna admit this.

I met him on my summer break back to Vietnam and he showed me some of the caps he made. Out of those there was these caps that appeared just a blank keycaps but with different effect of color. And there the cap that impressed me the most has black on toxic green color, which the black shot appeared to be dripped into the green base while it's still not fully hardened. Well I actually was going to buy that, it is beautiful. But it was the last days before going back to Finland and the traveling things kept my head from the cap.

Wait so you physically met him and you didn't attempt murder?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:06:06 »
I'm gonna admit this.

Show Image

That's what I was wondering as well. Y U NO KILL, BRO?

in memoriam

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:06:29 »
I'm gonna admit this.

Show Image

Murder seems a bit extreme. They're just little bits of plastic.

Yes, I know you're joking.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:10:38 »
I'm gonna admit this.

Show Image

Murder seems a bit extreme. They're just little bits of plastic.

Yes, I know you're joking.
Keyboard is serious business. No joke.

in memoriam

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:17:23 »
I'm gonna admit this.

Show Image

That's what I was wondering as well. Y U NO KILL, BRO?

well judging from the size, I would have less chance :))

//the funny things is, I wish you guy could see the market of keyboard hobbyist in Vn, there are like kids selling bunches of "skull" or "bro"  everyday (well, a bit of exaggerate lol), it is funny if we put in the context of knowing how hard and rare to find the similar but authentic cap. I saw those post and I just feel lucky for the fact that I am not into the collect game. Otherwise I would pissed.
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:23:15 »
//the funny things is, I wish you guy could see the market of keyboard hobbyist in Vn, there are like kids selling bunches of "skull" or "bro"  everyday (well, a bit of exaggerate lol), it is funny if we put in the context of knowing how hard and rare to find the similar but authentic cap. I saw those post and I just feel lucky for the fact that I am not into the collect game. Otherwise I would pissed.

So there are street vendor kids out peddling artisan caps? "You want scull? You want bro?"

in memoriam

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:25:11 »

So there are street vendor kids out peddling artisan caps? "You want scull? You want bro?"

That's exactly the image I got. Please let this be true.

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:28:14 »

no the type of kids that went from "oh my god this keyboard thing is awesome I'm gonna buy all the custom cool thing" to "**** this boring, I'm quit" in the matter of days
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline clacktalk

• CLACKS RULE EVERYTHING AROUND ME
  • circa 2015
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:31:40 »
Do some googling and read the previous threads about this before making a new one.

Also,

<------ reddit is that way
diary of a clacktalk

franktalk: how much urine have u spilled
radio_killah: too much frank
radio_killah: too much

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:31:45 »

That's exactly the image I got. Please let this be true.

well if I'm end up to have some caps made (my friend want to try, but promise nothing) I will definitely try to sell that way with some kids, just wait  :))
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline manofinterests

• Manofinterests Youtube
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:36:19 »
Now you guys have me imagining a shady street character with a large coat beckoning you to come closer.

You do.

He turns to face you and opens his coat. Adorned on the insides of his coat are rows and rows of fake keycaps.

"Hey kid... I got some clacks, bros, you name it. All good and all for cheap too."

You look at him with disgust. You're addicted to plastic sure, but not like this. Not like this.

You turn away in disgust as he closes his coat and walks toward another unsuspecting plastic addict.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:59:30 »
AKA ShORT

MIKE I swear to god right now
TRY AND HEADSHOT ME AT LEAST ONCE IN DEATHMATCH

I could spend ten clips of a Mac10 aiming at your feet and still beat you in a fight

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 17:45:25 »
I've tried to express my view about this more than once but I don't feel that it really matters. If you take the objective view - that infringement and blatant reproduction of someone else's intellectual property (and unless I'm mistaken, legally protected design) without their permission is mostly bad; then I think it's quite clear. The Rolex and Print examples are absolute moot point because despite people's subjective desire to own them and self-rationalization of an affordable price, it is still a fake. Whether you want to play the high demand/inflated market game or however you seek to justify it, that is an undeniable truth.

It is such a damn shame too, because that guy looks like he has some ridiculous talent, but by doing this demonstrates no creativity. I don't understand. He could be producing original designs and people would buy them, myself included.

And come the **** on people, Clacks and Bros are nice but are we SERIOUSLY comparing them to original Picassos?

Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 17:51:28 »
I've tried to express my view about this more than once but I don't feel that it really matters. If you take the objective view - that infringement and blatant reproduction of someone else's intellectual property (and unless I'm mistaken, legally protected design) without their permission is mostly bad; then I think it's quite clear. The Rolex and Print examples are absolute moot point because despite people's subjective desire to own them and self-rationalization of an affordable price, it is still a fake. Whether you want to play the high demand/inflated market game or however you seek to justify it, that is an undeniable truth.

It is such a damn shame too, because that guy looks like he has some ridiculous talent, but by doing this demonstrates no creativity. I don't understand. He could be producing original designs and people would buy them, myself included.

And come the **** on people, Clacks and Bros are nice but are we SERIOUSLY comparing them to original Picassos?

I don't think we were comparing them; just using them as an example of artistic originality.

For the record, I don't think Picasso is THAT great.

Offline mobbo

• u fk
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 17:57:18 »

I don't think we were comparing them; just using them as an example of artistic originality.

:P I know, I was being more tongue in cheek than I probably came across
Quote from: Binge
crumping is like twerking but it's all about getting low with force.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 17:58:43 »

I am not comparing the content, simply the availability and to some extent the price. It's an analogy, that's all.