Author Topic: The 8-Bit Guy YouTube - How to clean, retro-bright, Apple keyboard history  (Read 4273 times)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
I stumbled on these videos while watching something else on YouTube.

This video is great because he shows how to clean a vintage keyboard you may have found on eBay or in the wild. And the retro-bright guide is REALLY simple. Really awesome. Definitely worth a watch for everyone here.

I thought it was such a good guide, I added it to The Simple Questions thread.

These videos kind of go over the history of Apple's keyboards. The first video is interesting for people into Alps and old Apple keyboards. Unfortunately he doesn't talk about the switches and he has really weird regular people reactions but they were informative and fun.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: The 8-Bit Guy YouTube - How to clean, retro-bright, Apple keyboard history
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 19:52:09 »
I feel like I need to post this whenever retr0bright is brought up just so people remember:

Remember, retr0brighting changes the chemical composition of the plastic, making it weaker than it was before.  Do not retr0bright if the plastic is already brittle and do not retr0bright if you are looking to preserve something and make it maintain the colors.  Retr0brighting brittle plastic may cause it to break or break more readily.  The Danish National Museum did a study on retr0bright and does not recommend it for the purposes of preservation due to the weakened state of the plastic and the damage it causes to the plastic.  Also, remember that the plastic changes colors due bromine in it reacting to air, not exposure to UV light.  If you have an old keyboard or something else made of plastic that you're looking to slow or stop the yellowing in, seal it with some kind of clear finish.  That should help retard the reaction that causes it to yellow.

Offline engicoder

Re: The 8-Bit Guy YouTube - How to clean, retro-bright, Apple keyboard history
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 22 October 2015, 20:08:45 »
I've seen a few of his videos...he's short and to the point. Guess he recently changed his youtube handle from The iBook Guy to The 8-Bit Guy.