Author Topic: [IC] kostka - A 1x1 Artisan Case (Update 7/1/22 - GB IS LIVE!!!)  (Read 7691 times)

Offline deska

kostka - A 1x1 Artisan Case
(All pictures shown are prototypes, not renders)

IC FORM / JOIN OUR DISCORD

CURRENT STATUS: Interest Check Phase

Hello everyone! We are excited to finally share the kostka - A 1x1 Artisan Case.
Having cut back to a smaller artisan collection, we wanted to create a way to still display our artisans
 while also not getting the urge to "fill up an entire box". 

Details:
- 6061 Anodized Aluminum
- Available in 3 Colours (Silver, Grey, Black)
- Holds a single artisan keycap (max height of 16.8mm)
- 30 degree viewing angle
- 3mm laser-cut acrylic lid
- $25USD $35 USD + Shipping (approx $10 for US/Canada via UPS - ships from Canada)

*After collecting some initial feedback, the biggest comment was in regards to the cost.
After speaking with our manufacture further as well as sorting out some cheaper packaging, we were able to lower the price to $25*

We've already undergone a second revision of the design outside of a formal IC
to ensure the product was as close to being finalized as possible before looking for additional feedback.
However, we are still open to making minor adjustments if necessary.

As shown in the photo below, the Silver and Black kostka's were the initial design, with the grey being the v2 design.

Change log to v1:
- Added cutout at top rear for easy removal of lid
- Increased angle from 20deg to 30deg for better view of keycap
- Added chamfer to inside lid lip due to milling issues
- Added 0.5mm around inner bottom lip for less negative space around keycap

To-Do:
- Gather feedback on colour, finish options & International interest ✅
- Make any minor adjustments to design (subject to feedback) ✅
- Set up website for GB (the GB sale will be hosted and fulfilled by us) ✅
- Launch GB (est. GB in July 2022) ✅

UPDATE:
- We will be running with the standard anodized finish (matte finish won't be offered in this round).
- International interest was minimal so we will be keeping the GB within US/Canada - proxies are welcome
- A small increase in the chamfer on the lip holding the lid will be made for improved milling quality
- GB is set to launch July 1st and run until July 14th (can be extended at our discretion)

Thanks for looking and thank you in advance for any and all feedback! Please feel free to fill out the IC form and drop in to say hello in our Discord :)

GB IS LIVE

Group Buy Details:

- Where: https://shopdeska.com/ - LIVE NOW!

- When: July 1st-14th (may be extended to the end of July at our discretion)

- Estimated Delivery: August/September 2022

- Price: $25 USD + Shipping (approx $10 for NA via UPS - International will require Proxy)

- MOQ: No MOQ but sale is capped at 100 units

JOIN OUR DISCORD

- Daymon (RustyPanda#0226) & Shay (Shay#2468)

« Last Edit: Fri, 01 July 2022, 19:21:16 by deska »

Offline productkun

Re: [IC] kostka - A 1x1 Artisan Case
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 17:14:01 »
My keycaps will get claustrophobic in this

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 17:28:46 »
Is this an artisan storage or show case?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Offline deska

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 17:43:20 »
Is this an artisan storage or show case?

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

I'd say both. I personally use it as artisan storage, but could also be a great way to showcase your "grail" artisan

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 06:39:01 »
This projects confirms all my presumptions about resinheads.
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 07:04:02 »
hmmm kostka means cube and your name is deska plank in polish (i think)
is this what you meant?
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 09:06:13 »
are you czech?

Offline deska

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 10:10:30 »
are you czech?

We are not, but the branding/naming is Czech. We landed on this by complete fluke while trying to brainstorm a name for "desk accessories" and landed on Deska(ccessories). Curiousity brought us to google translate and after realizing it's a loose translation of table/board we wanted to keep the Czech naming scheme for our products.

Offline deska

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 10:11:21 »
hmmm kostka means cube and your name is deska plank in polish (i think)
is this what you meant?

Answered this in more detail above :)

Offline Backspace2

• Third most used key on the keyboard is Backspace!
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 11:42:42 »
Not an artisan person, but this is a little cramped, ngl  :blank:
Yes

Offline fropsie

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 11:58:24 »
Those walls seem a bit too high to make this a worthwhile display.
More intricate caps with any sort of front-facing features or resin-writing are pretty much going to be covered.
It's a nice price and a fun concept but some small changes can definitely be made in order to make some big improvements.

Offline deska

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 June 2022, 13:24:13 »
More intricate caps with any sort of front-facing features or resin-writing are pretty much going to be covered.
It's a nice price and a fun concept but some small changes can definitely be made in order to make some big improvements.

Appreciate the feedback! We were also concerned about the wall height so we did tweak the base angle by adding another 10deg so you could see more of the cap. The issue we faced was if we were to lower the wall height, you lose potential compatibility with the widest variety of caps. The other option would be to offset the walls further away from the cap but then we would be adding to the cost, which seemed to be quite a deal breaker for some when considering a 1x1 case.

I also may have not done the best job at showcasing what the case looks like from a standard viewpoint so here's a picture at eye level of both the v1 (left) and v2 (right). There's definitely a noticeable difference in how much of the cap you can see with the increase in base angle. (I'm 6'1" and sitting approx 2 feet back from where the cases are placed)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 00:23:21 »
Can I use it for my tree leaf collection
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 03:49:42 »

Appreciate the feedback! We were also concerned about the wall height so we did tweak the base angle by adding another 10deg so you could see more of the cap. The issue we faced was if we were to lower the wall height, you lose potential compatibility with the widest variety of caps. The other option would be to offset the walls further away from the cap but then we would be adding to the cost, which seemed to be quite a deal breaker for some when considering a 1x1 case.

V2 looks great with the new angle :thumb:

Seeing as artisans are sculpts that look different from other sides though, the metal walls seem like they cover too much. I think a metal base with a kinda metal wireframe and acrylic walls would be better, but that’s a complete design change and I like this metal box as it is so probably just a thought for another design if you consider it.
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 07:15:51 »
deska robi kostke :)
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline deska

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 13:05:35 »
Can I use it for my tree leaf collection

Absolutely! Should we make a green one for your tree leafs?  :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 June 2022, 13:28:05 by deska »

Offline deska

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 12 June 2022, 13:27:18 »

V2 looks great with the new angle :thumb:

Seeing as artisans are sculpts that look different from other sides though, the metal walls seem like they cover too much. I think a metal base with a kinda metal wireframe and acrylic walls would be better, but that’s a complete design change and I like this metal box as it is so probably just a thought for another design if you consider it.

Thank you for the kind words and feedback :)

When we were hashing out the initial idea amongst friends, a "cloched" style of case, as you've described, was suggested (Metal base and then an acrylic cube top so you could see the whole cap). While we agreed it would allow you to see the entire cap better, it wouldn't be as feasible to find a manu to create a custom acrylic cube vs a standard laser-cut lid, especially at a reasonable cost. Definitely a design that we would like to pursue, but maybe with a larger artisan holder.

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 19:46:01 »
This projects confirms all my presumptions about resinheads.

so true

Offline deska

Updated logs with a few changes/final decisions from the IC, as well as setting the GB date. Thanks again to all those who provided feedback  :D

Offline deska

Re: [IC] kostka - A 1x1 Artisan Case (Update 7/1/22 - GB IS LIVE!!!)
« Reply #19 on: Fri, 01 July 2022, 18:13:12 »
GB is now LIVE! Details are above :thumb:

Offline KeyRelic

• KeyRelic
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 05 July 2022, 04:43:05 »
A let down that you don't ship worldwide  :(

Offline deska

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 07 July 2022, 18:09:11 »

Hey KeyRelic, I do apologize for not offering it for this GB. When we ran the IC, there was little International interest and those that were, only 1 didn't have a US/CAN proxy. Also while looking into the cost of shipping with UPS/DHL, it would have cost close to if not more than the product itself to ship to some locations; something I wasn't comfortable with doing either.

Once there is a larger volume of monthly orders, I will look into getting back my DHL business account (had it previously with another business) to offer International shipping at a better cost.

EDIT: Did a quick quote with DHL and it had shipping to Poland at $33USD for a 4x4x2 package
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 July 2022, 18:32:03 by deska »

Offline KeyRelic

• KeyRelic
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 11:47:27 »

Hey KeyRelic, I do apologize for not offering it for this GB. When we ran the IC, there was little International interest and those that were, only 1 didn't have a US/CAN proxy. Also while looking into the cost of shipping with UPS/DHL, it would have cost close to if not more than the product itself to ship to some locations; something I wasn't comfortable with doing either.

Once there is a larger volume of monthly orders, I will look into getting back my DHL business account (had it previously with another business) to offer International shipping at a better cost.

EDIT: Did a quick quote with DHL and it had shipping to Poland at $33USD for a 4x4x2 package

DHL will charge an arm and a leg for shipping.
The item is small, so maybe for future check out how USPS in a simple small envelope shipped out as mail could work out. It does work when I ship from Poland to the US.

Offline deska

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 10 July 2022, 14:21:08 »

DHL will charge an arm and a leg for shipping.
The item is small, so maybe for future check out how USPS in a simple small envelope shipped out as mail could work out. It does work when I ship from Poland to the US.

We are based in Canada so USPS is unfortunately not an option. Our domestic mail service (Canada Post) charges absurd amounts (higher than DHL or UPS) for any sort of Tracked International parcel service. The only other option available to us is a freight forwarder service who uses Asendia or PostNL and I simply don't trust those companies enough to warrant shipping with them.

Again, I do apologize for not having alternate options available that are not only cheaper but also carry less risk to both our customers and ourselves.