geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Anyone use BBEdit?

<< < (2/3) > >>

iMav:

--- Quote from: xsphat ---When you open a Terminal window is OS X, you can change it to Emacs, Vi or Pico just by typing the name and hitting return.
--- End quote ---

:)

xsphat:
Does Linux do that to? I know Windows XP doesn't (or I haven't figured out how).

Whiskey in the Jar-o:

--- Quote from: xsphat ---Does Linux do that to? I know Windows XP doesn't (or I haven't figured out how).
--- End quote ---

What happens is that you are actually launching a terminal application. So you can launch whatever editor you want. I'm using Ubuntu Linux, and AFAIK, it doesn't come with emacs installed. Note that emacs is usually used in graphical mode. I think by default OS X has only text mode emacs installed i.e. you can only run it within the terminal.

The other thing is the command-line editing mode of your terminal. Emacs key bindings are the most common default. So for example

someprompt>cp A B

You move to the end of the line by pressing C-e, to the beginning by pressing C-a. Etc..

However, you can put you command-line in vi mode:

someprompt>set -o vi

Then the equivalent would be Esc, followed by 0 to get to the start of the line, $ to get to the end. Etc..

set -o gives you the current shell settings. set -o emacs puts you back into posix.

The main reason I'm not into emacs is that it's a modeless editor.  I hate chording multiple keys for the most trivial things. Vim is a modal editor, so you just get yourself into command mode, and almost all commands from then do not require modifier keys.

In conclusion... Emacs is probably best for writing non-programming text.

iMav:

--- Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o ---In conclusion... Emacs is probably best for writing non-programming text.
--- End quote ---

Well, emacs IS extremely popular among programmers.  I don't think I've ever seen a lisp programmer use anything else.   :wink:

Whiskey in the Jar-o:

--- Quote from: iMav ---
--- Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o ---In conclusion... Emacs is probably best for writing non-programming text.
--- End quote ---

Well, emacs IS extremely popular among programmers.  I don't think I've ever seen a lisp programmer use anything else.   :wink:
--- End quote ---

Of course, but I think as far as programming editors used for non-programming work, emacs has vi beat.  After all emacs is really an OS.  :D BTW, Paul Graham is a famous lisp hacker. He uses vi.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version