geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Gutsy Gibbon has been released

(1/3) > >>

iMav:
Ubuntu v.7.10 was released this month (15 Oct) and looks to be the best Ubuntu yet.  

I switched to Ubuntu for my desktop installs a couple of years ago and have had the opportunity to see the distribution mature.  The way Ubuntu has, seemingly, come out of no where to become the world's most popular linux distro has been truly impressive.  

My Thinkpad X60s that I have with me over here in the mud hole has run Ubuntu exclusively since I first purchased it last spring.  Haven't had a single issue.  Prior to our family's switch to Mac, my two older children ran Ubuntu exclusively on their PC's for some time.  Anyone who says that linux is not ready for the desktop has simply never seen Ubuntu in action.

xsphat:
I tried a live CD of Dapper a while back, and I did like it. The thing for me is this: what does Linux have to offer ME that Mac doesn't have? And does Linux have enough goodness to make me not miss the GUI, ease of use and the programs and games I already like on Mac? I think the only way I would use Linux on a daily basis is if I bought a Windows box.

Thoughts?

iMav:

--- Quote from: xsphat ---I tried a live CD of Dapper a while back, and I did like it. The thing for me is this: what does Linux have to offer ME that Mac doesn't have? And does Linux have enough goodness to make me not miss the GUI, ease of use and the programs and games I already like on Mac? I think the only way I would use Linux on a daily basis is if I bought a Windows box.
--- End quote ---

Linux likely has nothing to offer you that you don't get already from a Mac.  

And, BTW, PC does not equal "windows box".  It's only a windows box if you actually install windows on it.  ;)

(I am a big fan of PC's as they still represent the best bang for you buck...especially with a proper OS...the nasty has nothing to do with it)

xsphat:
Linux is pretty cool. I had a little trouble adjusting, but I do really like the way it works. I am running it right now with VMWare, and I am thinking about switching to it as my main OS for a bit. So far, the only thing I don't like about it is VMWare (Demo). I have ot do a little more research into it, but if I will be able to use a second moniter with my MacBook, I'm in.

xsphat:
Using Apple OS X has made a me a stupid computer user.

I installed Ubuntu 7.10 as the only OS on my MacBook. I played with Ubuntu in a trial copy of VMWare, and while that program isn't the greatest, 7.10 was really impressive. I like the way everythign works,a dn KWord is a great program, the best freebee I have ever seen, so I thought I'd try switching. Soon after this is when the problems started.

It was cool, but my monitor only mirror my 'Book display, so I thought I could fix it. I tried everything I could think of to no avail. It seemed every time I tried something it just made everything worse. So I tried to download a program that would help me set up my computer better, and it downloaded to the desktop and I could do nothing with it. The instructions told me to direct Terminal to the file ... I don't know how to do that and there was no where that would tell me. So I tried to see if I could find drivers somewhere, but every site I went to needed a plug in that downloaded to my desktop and sat there like a lump of poo, so I gave up.

Using Ubuntu made me realize I am a complete idiot when it comes to computer systems and without a GUI, I'm just fatally SOL. Look, I will never dis Linux, I really like the way Ubuntu works and everything, but I am no where near being able to trust myself to not corrupt my entire install on a daily basis just by being Meatware.

I think I better just run this one in Parallels, safely inside OS X.

I'm back in Mac and I can now do stuff again. This was a good time to do this because I really don't have any big projects for school and I needed a fresh install anyway.

Later.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version