geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Gutsy Gibbon has been released

<< < (2/3) > >>

iMav:
Don't beat yourself up over it.  It's not that you are a stupid computer user, it is simply that you don't have the background knowledge.  I think it is a great idea to keep playing with Ubuntu in a VM if you have the interest.  There is tons of helpful information online that can help you get more familiar with Linux.  I strongly suggest checking out the Ubuntu Forums.  Lots of information available for the newbie and seasoned user as well.

A "stupid computer user" would have no idea how to install Ubuntu on their Mac in the first place, BTW.  ;)

Remember, even as an OS X user, you ARE a UNIX user...and there are a lot of things you can learn under OS X that will be directly applicable to other flavors of UNIX and UNIX-like OS's (like linux).

xsphat:
I looked in the forums and found nothing to help me. It's like when you download a distro of Linux, everyone thinks that an intimate knowledge of the terminal is shot from the .iso file directly to your brain. I searched for newb, newbie, and everything else, and I could find no idiot's guide on the net.

I am very Mac savvy, but I think that is the extent of my computer talent. This is why I ask all those dumb questions about learning how computers work - They are dumb because I know absolutlely nothing about them.

I am going to try to learn on my own, but I really don't know where to start and I don't have very much time to do it rigth now.

If you guys can recommend any books or sites for me to check, I'd love it.

Thanks

xmonk:
xsphat, try searching the Ubuntu forums for Xinerama. I don't think there is any GUI to help you set this up. But all modifications are limited to one file: /etc/X11/xorg.conf

So make a backup of that file before you start playing. There is also the possibility X wont startup or crash while configuring, so familiarize yourself with the console:

C-M-F1..F6 (Control-Alt-F1..F6).

You can recover from the console by restoring your back up xorg.conf, and restarting the X11 server.
To restart the server from the console do:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart  
or
sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop ; sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

You will be prompted for you user password.

This should all be covered on the Ubuntu forums guides and HOWTO's.

Don't give up,  we all start not knowing.

xmonk

xsphat:
xmonk,
Thank you for your suggestions. I don't know what most of it means, but it sounds like a good place to start. I'll buy some VM product and run it in Mac so I can mess around and still have my computer.

Later.

xmonk:
xsphat,
That's a good idea. If you have the disk space on your laptop, I would like to suggest that a cheaper alternative to a VM . Dual booting OS X and Linux, Mac has a utility for this, that makes it trivial, don't remeber
the name thou, it's been 5 years since I've used a Mac.

Good luck.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version