geekhack Marketplace > Great Finds

New model M on ebay

(1/4) > >>

nrp:
I'm not sure it is really new, but if it is, the price is quite good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-IBM-Model-M-PS-2-Keyboard-1391401-NEW-in-box_W0QQitemZ110260772476QQihZ001QQcategoryZ51084QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

bigpook:
That would be a decent deal for the price. As long as it was new. It's kind of a  crap shoot getting used model m's on e-bay. I have been lucky so far, I figure I am 2 for 3 on what I bought there. The recycler's on e-bay sell as is, they are just moving product and are taking advantage of peoples desire to own won.
You could get burned.

Waves77:
Even the "buy it now" price seems really cheap for a NIB model M... then again, it's a more recent one from Lexmark.

If anyone here ends up buying one let us know :)

bhtooefr:
I prefer just buying my 101-key, no fancy features Model Ms from thrift stores... that way, I can hold the keyboard, make sure everything's there, and (if I've got a laptop and USB adapter with me, or the store has a PC there) test the keyboard.

bigpook:

--- Quote from: Waves77;5300 ---Even the "buy it now" price seems really cheap for a NIB model M... then again, it's a more recent one from Lexmark.

If anyone here ends up buying one let us know :)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, it may be made by Lexmark but that is not nescassarily bad. Case in point, I won a bid on an IBM Model M spacesaver on ebay. It was made in 1987. I got it and it was somewhat filthy. The previous owner changed out all of the keys with the capless ones, with the exception of the j key.
I was disappointed with it, but pooh happens. The seller was one of those recycler places.

I then bid and won another Model M spacesaver that is a Lexmark made in 1994. It came very clean, so clean it didn't bother to take it apart and clean it myself. All the keys have the separate caps, and it works great. I prefer the action on it versus the other one. The seller in this case was the original owner and gave up the board because of RSI. It was cheaper too.

So your mileage may vary, I think I got lucky on the second one. I have read that the Lexmark's are somewhat lesser in quality compared to those made by IBM. But I can't really tell the difference.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version