Author Topic: Mushy cherry stabilizers  (Read 3319 times)

Offline Hellcatz

Mushy cherry stabilizers
« on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 18:01:02 »
so I just assemble my gon keyboard and found out that the cherry stabs are really mushy. after spending the last 12 hours soldering lubing and stickering. I really don't feel like disassembling it to clip the stabs to my liking. Is there anyway to fix it without desoldering. the shift key is really bad as it sticks and doesn't rebound. Please help

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Mushy cherry stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 18:02:52 »
Unfortunately the only way is to desolder a switch. You don't have to desolder all of them, just enough to free the stabilizers.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 July 2015, 18:50:03 »
well ****

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 13:32:07 »
aren't they pcb-mount cherries?

should be harder than usual

<3 costar

(mushiness has other reasons too, at least with cherries, breaking in might solve the issue, just play around with the stab a bit, sometimes the plastic gets smashed and it starts allowing further movement)
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline fmendonca

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 13:56:35 »
so I just assemble my gon keyboard and found out that the cherry stabs are really mushy. after spending the last 12 hours soldering lubing and stickering. I really don't feel like disassembling it to clip the stabs to my liking. Is there anyway to fix it without desoldering. the shift key is really bad as it sticks and doesn't rebound. Please help

Hey I'm exactly im the same position. Just finished assembling and even though I lubed them the stabs feel a little mushy. Not a lot, but it's noticeable comparing to the normal keys. The sound is different and they feel heavier and mushy.

If you find a way to improve it without desoldering everything pls share :) I'll do the same.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 14:10:15 »
Unfortunately the only way is to desolder a switch. You don't have to desolder all of them, just enough to free the stabilizers.

Gon's plates don't have slots for the stabiliser wires, so in most case you have to desolder all the switches and remove the plate... ouch.

You MAY be able to pop the wire off the stabiliser through the mount holes, though, and then pull out the stabs and clip them, but getting the wires and stab units properly back in place will be very difficult, I think.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.