Author Topic: KMAC DIY Thread  (Read 67821 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: KMAC DIY Thread
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 13:11:19 »
  • switches
  • stabilizer clips
  • stabilizer wires
  • diodes
  • LEDs (optional)
  • keycaps

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 13:16:23 »
87+ switches (spares!)
87+ diodes, 1n4148 or some form of fast switching diode that fits either the SMD footprint or the thru-hole.  Those round SMD ones can be a ***** cuz they rollin.
20 3mm LEDs (Caps, LCtrl, WASD, Most of the F-row)  flat top, no shoulder (also called column) will require no mods.  It's not hard to cut shoulders off though, but sanding 20 domed LEDs flat can be painful on your fingers and I don't recommend trying to do it any other way.
4 2x Cherry PCB mount stabs
1 spacebar Cherry PCB mount stab (6.25x or 7x depending on your keycap set)
1 set of keycaps to fit your layout (offset caps is possible, mod-row is kit dependent)

bling the switches however you want, stickers, grease, TLC.  I recommend paying close attention to your choice in LED light out put (mcd) since they all get the same amount of power and it can be disappointing to be blinded by blue and have the red/amber/yellow sedate and laid back.

Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 13:18:30 »
I added links to LED and diode parts (SMD and through-hole) on mouser.com and digikey.com, as well as LED datasheet, to the first post on this thread.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 13:23:27 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2012, 13:26:56 by TheProfosist »

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 13:29:53 »
The holes on the PCB only accept Cherry mounted stabilizers.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:02:03 »
Lots of great information, everyone. It looks like my list of things to buy is quite long as of now. Where can I get the cherry pcb mount stabs and the cherry stabilizers? If anyone has any to spare, let me know. Also, can anyone recommend a good soldering kit? I've never soldered anything before and I'm kind of worried I'm going to mess something up. Any suggestions on a way to practice before going straight to soldering on the board?
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:05:33 »
Lots of great information, everyone. It looks like my list of things to buy is quite long as of now. Where can I get the cherry pcb mount stabs and the cherry stabilizers? If anyone has any to spare, let me know. Also, can anyone recommend a good soldering kit? I've never soldered anything before and I'm kind of worried I'm going to mess something up. Any suggestions on a way to practice before going straight to soldering on the board?

Hakko 888 is what i use. If you dont want to solder I can do it for you i did a few phantoms for people.

edit: changed all yo u to you lol dont know what happened there
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:14:40 by TheProfosist »

Offline litster

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:08:52 »
If you have never soldered anything before, I say you pay someone else to do it for you.  alaricljs is very good at this.  If you do it yourself, you are going to make mistakes and may ruin your KMAC.  You should buy some cheap solder projects from Radio Shack for practice.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:16:24 »
I decided to go with the leds you posted lister am i going to need any resistors for them or are they already on board?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:18:49 »
Where can I pick up some cherry plate mount stabilizers? oops looks like i need pcb mount was reading all the posts.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:22:50 by TheProfosist »

Offline litster

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:28:31 »
I decided to go with the leds you posted lister am i going to need any resistors for them or are they already on board?

yes, lister, please help TheProfosist!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:31:35 »
my bad litster sorry about my herp a derp ness that is not an excuse but i am the guy that constantly types yo u lately
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:34:29 by TheProfosist »

Offline litster

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:43:24 »
No resistors are needed for the LEDs.  Think about it, there is no place to solder resistors on to the PCB, unless you want to solder a resistor inline with each LED.

As I wrote in the first post, that mouser SMD diode part is the part I used in my KMACs. 

If I have to guess, the keyboards you use are all broken in some way, especially the comma and period keys.  You shift keys don't work most of the time as well.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:46:28 »
TheProfosist:

I'm sending you a PM.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:49:45 »
If I have to guess, the keyboards you use are all broken in some way, especially the comma and period keys.  You shift keys don't work most of the time as well.
You are correct and are the first to say something on this forum about that. Also besides that my typing style is atrocious.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:50:07 »
TheProfosist:

I'm sending you a PM.

Sounds good.

Offline litster

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 14:58:31 »
You are correct and are the first to say something on this forum about that. Also besides that my typing style is atrocious.

Ha, your keyboard is fixed!

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 15:56:20 »

Ha, your keyboard is fixed!
I wish it were that easy

Offline Viz

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 15:57:26 »
I have a piece of one on my desk, so part of the answer is... They were already available... perhaps you can get one now if you try?

Are we talking about the tenkeyless KMAC or the mini?

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 16:09:15 »
Also, can anyone recommend a good soldering kit? I've never soldered anything before and I'm kind of worried I'm going to mess something up. Any suggestions on a way to practice before going straight to soldering on the board?

There is not much to soldering, but it does require at least $50 investment in equipment. I built/modded a few keyboards, and I shot a video for one of them. I'll upload the video tonight on youtube, and you can see how easy it is. Litster also posted a video in the OP of the SMD soldering, but those require a tad more precision than through-holes.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #70 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 18:02:59 »
I have a piece of one on my desk, so part of the answer is... They were already available... perhaps you can get one now if you try?

Are we talking about the tenkeyless KMAC or the mini?

The mini... have the plate/PCB from someone else's board.  I have built ~5 KMAC 87s.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 21:11:48 »
I think I found myself some leds: http://tinyurl.com/8mk7dey
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 October 2012, 21:14:29 by TheProfosist »

Offline litster

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 21:31:39 »
At 7000 mcd, one is going to blind you.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 21:33:50 »
At 7000 mcd, one is going to blind you.
Would that be the case even under a keycap?

Offline litster

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 21:38:07 »
Silver KMAC's silver plate may do a better job reflecting light than titanium KMAC's titanium plate.  I guess you will find out and let us know :-)

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 21:44:28 »
Also, that's $11 worth of LEDs or you can go to ebay and get them for way cheaper and have a ton of leftovers for resale or friends...  They claim 10kmcd,which is a bit much but they are definitely going to be stupidly bright.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 21:44:51 »
Silver KMAC's silver plate may do a better job reflecting light than titanium KMAC's titanium plate.  I guess you will find out and let us know :-)
Correct! Thanks for all the help so far. Would you happen to know where I can get some cherry PCB mount stabilizers?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 22:12:14 »
onlinecomponents.com
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 22:13:55 »
I have a question about diodes. I have a whole bunch of vintage blacks, believe they still have diodes in them. Maybe they don't, can't check as they are not with me right now. But say I was going to install these in my KMAC, would I be able to use the diodes already in them, or should I buy all new diodes?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 22:18:41 »
I would recommend new diodes since they are so cheap (penny a piece or less) and then you don't have to worry about fixing any bent or broken leads and making sure that they're not dead.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: KMAC DIY Thread
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 22:20:32 »
I would recommend new diodes since they are so cheap (penny a piece or less) and then you don't have to worry about fixing any bent or broken leads and making sure that they're not dead.
Was going to say the samething, but you beat me to it.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 20 October 2012, 22:25:11 »
Yea was just looking at the prices and much better to get new ones. Thanks guys.
 Now the hardest part of building a kmac....choosing my led colours....

Offline litster

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 00:10:02 »
For stabilizers, you can find their part numbers here: http://www.cherrycorp.com/english/switches/key/mx.htm

2x/2.5x/2.75x PCB-mount stabilizer: G99-0742
7x PCB-mount stabilizer: G99-0745
6.25x PCB-mount stabilizer: doesn't exist, need to make your own with 1/16" piano wires.

I don't know where you can find them.  Mouser and digikey don't have it in stock.  Last time I had to buy plate-mount Cherry stabilizers to test with the Phantom prototype, I had to buy from onlinecomponents and newark, neither shipped all the pieces to me, both missing the metal bars, and one of them only sent me the base, no inserts.  I think both onlinecomponents and newark have the same fulfillment center.

octpart can tell you where else you can find these parts.  You can try other vendors.  http://octopart.com/partsearch#search/requestData&q=G990742

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 04:52:12 »
If I order from http://canada.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=98B1432&CMP=AFC-OPG&CMP=AFC-OPG will each order come with both inserts and the metal bar? So I would need 4 of them? Or since you have issues with them getting it right, order several extras.
Also to make the 6.25 stab, could I order the 2x kit, and just put in the piano wire? Although I think I'd post a wtb before it comes to that.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 09:33:39 »
When I did the stab GB, I ordered PCB mount from onlinecomponents and received all necessary parts.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #85 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:45:41 »
When I did the stab GB, I ordered PCB mount from onlinecomponents and received all necessary parts.

That's good to know! Thanks. Did you do any 6.25x stabs? Just wondering if I should make my own or try to find a set.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:47:20 »
Yeah, there were about 20 of them.  The majority was 7x.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #87 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:53:40 »
Yeah, there were about 20 of them.  The majority was 7x.

Sorry to be a nag. But could you point me where to get some? Or to get the parts.

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 17:59:36 »
I'll assume you mean the wires... I bought 1/16" steel wire from Tower Hobbies and a Dubro wire bender (also available there, but I've had it for some time now).

I still have spare wire and bubble mailers ;)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 21 October 2012, 18:01:03 »
I'll assume you mean the wires... I bought 1/16" steel wire from Tower Hobbies and a Dubro wire bender (also available there, but I've had it for some time now).

I still have spare wire and bubble mailers ;)

Any chance the wire is bent ? lol I'm sending a pm!

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 14:30:57 »
I chose some LEDs that are not very bright.  If you use caps with an LED window, these are good enough.  If you use regular caps, then you will want LEDs brighter that what I picked.  I only soldered LEDs for caps lock and scroll lock.  I didn't install LEDs to the function keys and WASD.

Green: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=WP710A10SGCvirtualkey60400000virtualkey604-WP710A10SGC
Blue: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=VAOL-3LSBY1virtualkey59300000virtualkey593-VAOL-3LSBY1
Red: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=WP710A10ECvirtualkey60400000virtualkey604-WP710A10EC
Orange: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=WP710A10EDvirtualkey60400000virtualkey604-WP710A10ED
Yellow: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=WP710A10YTvirtualkey60400000virtualkey604-WP710A10YT
White: http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=521-9901-802Fvirtualkey64500000virtualkey645-521-9901-802F

I bought 10 of each, but I only used white.  The other should work, too.  I just didn't solder them on to any keyboard.

Basically you want T-1 size 3mm, around 3.5V forward voltage.  The white ones I am using now is 1100mcd brightness.  You could use something dimmer if you use windowed caps.  If you use regular caps, you might want something brighter.  Also some people are getting creative with UV LEDs.   :)

Ok... I've been looking at leds today and trying to figure out which color combination I'd like to get. Some of the links above have a very low mcd, like 45, and some of them have a much lower than 3.5V forward voltage. I just want to make sure I get the right thing. Since I'd like to get different color combinations, I'd like for them to all be the same luminous intensity. Also, what can we do with the UV LEDs. This intrigues me...

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
KMAC DIY Thread
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 14:33:50 »
^put on uv reactive caps, get stoned, and listen to chill jams :D
I'm doing my F row in UVs, supposedly 2000 McD according to the eBay seller.
Perhaps some uv paint is in order!

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 14:56:21 »
^put on uv reactive caps, get stoned, and listen to chill jams :D
I'm doing my F row in UVs, supposedly 2000 McD according to the eBay seller.
Perhaps some uv paint is in order!

Ah cool... so these are basically little black lights... that's just too awesome to pass up...

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 15:01:27 »
I noticed the UV lights are listed with Wavelength/Color Temperature instead of Luminous Intensity of the other leds. I don't see anything about the intensity of the UV lights on mouser. Is higher Wavelength/Color Temperature better? If so... this is what I've found...

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bivar/UV3TZ-400-30/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMs4quMj8r4lmj9W7mDN7MN7sdLwJveiS5s%3d

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
KMAC DIY Thread
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 15:04:54 »
Link goes to error. Dunno if it's the link or my phone. I've been looking at these LEDs and it shows all the details about them.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290768285828&cmd=VIDESC

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 15:14:51 »
only think that I would worry about with the UV lights would be how they effect the keycaps over time.

Offline ekw808

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Ekw
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 15:21:46 »
The ones I have been using are only 400-600 MCD which means they are pretty dim and not that bright at all barely noticeable under CC's, and they shine through as the color of the CC. I'd say anything around 2000 would be pretty comparable to the red/green/blue ones people usually get.
[One Keyboard at a time]

My Heatware Please comment, and I will do the same =D 

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
KMAC DIY Thread
« Reply #97 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 15:23:46 »
only think that I would worry about with the UV lights would be how they effect the keycaps over time.

Hmm interesting. Although being under a cap, don't think it would be too bad.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #98 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 16:17:23 »
Link goes to error. Dunno if it's the link or my phone. I've been looking at these LEDs and it shows all the details about them.
http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=290768285828&cmd=VIDESC

Link is valid, it should be working okay. But yes, it doesn't having anything about luminous intensity/brightness for the UV led lights... strange... maybe there's something I'm not seeing... I'm going to take a look at the Ebay link momentarily...

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #99 on: Mon, 22 October 2012, 21:32:45 »
Ive been thinking has anyone done any major programming on their KMAC the reason I ask is I am interested in making my layout into reality (it relies on layers).