Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 383761 times)

Offline zflamewing

Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #750 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 04:43:53 »
Could You give mehr a hand? What is the difference between 60 and 80% notched plates?

80% is TKL e.g. QFR and 60% drops the F Keys and all the keys right of the alpha mod cluster e.g. Poker, Pure, Happy Hacker.
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #751 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 09:58:11 »
Is there an updated timeline for this GB somewhere?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #752 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 10:22:37 »
we're currently in production on titanium cuts. the next hop for the metal is the anodizers. we've decided on the gaskets, but i'd prefer to pay the cutter and anodizer bills first. at the current rate they're going, they're going to be the long pole by at least a month. hard to rush shops that are doing you a huge favor.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #753 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 10:31:16 »
we're currently in production on titanium cuts. the next hop for the metal is the anodizers. we've decided on the gaskets, but i'd prefer to pay the cutter and anodizer bills first. at the current rate they're going, they're going to be the long pole by at least a month. hard to rush shops that are doing you a huge favor.

Awesome. Glad to hear stuff is moving along. I definitely understand that it will take some time, I was just curious if there was an idea of what the timeframe was looking like. Thanks!

Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #754 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 18:21:45 »
on the contrary, i'm quite unhappy about the delay, as i had targeted this to be shipped out by august. i'm confident that the kits will be significantly better with the adjustments we've made though, and i've made arrangements for fulfillment to be carried out as quickly as possible once all the parts are together.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #755 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 18:22:42 »

on the contrary, i'm quite unhappy about the delay, as i had targeted this to be shipped out by august. i'm confident that the kits will be significantly better with the adjustments we've made though, and i've made arrangements for fulfillment to be carried out as quickly as possible once all the parts are together.

Timelines rarely hold when manufacturing small batches. Thanks for sticking with it!

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #756 on: Tue, 09 September 2014, 20:18:44 »

How is the anodizing MOQs going? Will we be told if we have to switch?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #757 on: Wed, 10 September 2014, 11:04:08 »
i'm relatively sure every color has made MOQ.

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #758 on: Thu, 11 September 2014, 00:46:44 »

Thanks for the update. Hope the end product looks great. ;)

Offline numiru

« Reply #759 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 15:09:07 »
Hey everyone, if you're looking for a non-DSA keyset for your SmallFry keyboard, the GreenTea set supports both layouts. GB thread here.
Only 15 orders on the SmallFry Kit to reach MOQ.
KUL ES-87

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #760 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 15:20:32 »
Hmm... That may look good with the green plates I have ordered...

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #761 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 17:56:23 »
ok, i ordered it, but the small fry add on kit price was RIDICULOUS

not that it stopped me.

Offline numiru

« Reply #762 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 17:58:48 »
ok, i ordered it, but the small fry add on kit price was RIDICULOUS

not that it stopped me.
Thanks! One order closer to MOQ :)
KUL ES-87

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #763 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 22:35:43 »

Em... My bronze plate won't match well, but its good to see jd40 caps sold, gaining more popularity

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #764 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 23:08:18 »

Em... My bronze plate won't match well, but its good to see jd40 caps sold, gaining more popularity

I was just glad to see all of the JD40 caps in granite round 2. Including a blue 1.75 enter in the bonus kits. The only thing I dont have are a 1.25u \| and `~ for the bottom right corner.

Planck w/ Zealios

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #765 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 01:12:20 »

I was just glad to see all of the JD40 caps in granite round 2. Including a blue 1.75 enter in the bonus kits. The only thing I dont have are a 1.25u \| and `~ for the bottom right corner.
Same here! I also bought that blue enter for my jd40 and the pro modifiers and speciality pack :) all just for the JD40 :)

Offline zflamewing

« Reply #766 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 01:38:44 »
Will the Nostalgia kit fit the JD40?
DK9008 MX Blues | CM QFR MX Blues | CM XT MX Greens

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #767 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 02:04:38 »
Will the Nostalgia kit fit the JD40?
you can check here:

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #768 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 02:09:51 »

1.25u \| and `~ keys? What layout are you going to do? any pictures you can share :)

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #769 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 11:14:39 »

1.25u \| and `~ keys? What layout are you going to do? any pictures you can share :)

Main Layer:

Function Layer:

I'm not sure if the firmware will let me do the macro style fn layer stuff like ctrl alt del and what not, but I have those set up on my poker and want to mirror them on my JD40. Other than that, I'm not sure how I want the number to be arranged. Currently they are set up with low numbers closer to the left for gaming. I may drop ctrl alt del in favor of having a shift key there and I'm still figuring out where f1-f12 are going, they may get a dedicated layer depends what all I can do with layers.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #770 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:50:54 »
JD40 Giveaway...  Come join the fun...

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62783.msg1469957#msg1469957

ps - maybe not appropriate for this thread.  mods, do with as you see fit...
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:56:15 by swill »

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #771 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 16:35:03 »

Main Layer:
Show Image

Function Layer:
Show Image

I'm not sure if the firmware will let me do the macro style fn layer stuff like ctrl alt del and what not, but I have those set up on my poker and want to mirror them on my JD40. Other than that, I'm not sure how I want the number to be arranged. Currently they are set up with low numbers closer to the left for gaming. I may drop ctrl alt del in favor of having a shift key there and I'm still figuring out where f1-f12 are going, they may get a dedicated layer depends what all I can do with layers.

I guess what you can do is set fn+shift on top row for the function row. I really like this layout, I might use it!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #772 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 17:40:06 »

Main Layer:
Show Image

Function Layer:
Show Image

I guess what you can do is set fn+shift on top row for the function row. I really like this layout, I might use it!

I was thinking ctrl + fn as another layer and then  having f1 - f12 as qwer, asdf, zxcv
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #773 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 18:10:24 »
All in all, there's too many possibilities :confused:

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #774 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 18:14:43 »
All in all, there's too many possibilities :confused:

Exactly.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #775 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 06:20:06 »

Main Layer:
Show Image

Function Layer:
Show Image

Looking good! :D I need to find out a way to fit in åäö on the first layer. Going to be hard but I think this will work:

And Fn:

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #776 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 06:21:46 »
I have ordered 50 clear switches... Now I just need the USB jack.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #777 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 06:39:59 »
Crap, I forgot about getting all the electronics. Also I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but how are the LEDs for caps lock going to work, what size led should I get?

Offline Greeeg

« Reply #778 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 06:59:31 »
3mm will fit. 5mm is too big.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #779 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 07:01:59 »
So this may be a dumb question, but do we NEED the caps LED? I don't plan on putting caps lock anywhere on mine and would rather not have the LED as well. Will the keyboard work without it?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #780 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 07:25:08 »
Crap, I forgot about getting all the electronics. Also I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but how are the LEDs for caps lock going to work, what size led should I get?

This is the LED I used on mine - http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/VLHW4100/751-1502-ND/2403143

LED is not required, it will work just fine without it.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #781 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 20:16:27 »
So this may be a dumb question, but do we NEED the caps LED? I don't plan on putting caps lock anywhere on mine and would rather not have the LED as well. Will the keyboard work without it?
nope! you can absolutely build without the LED and resistor.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #782 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 12:19:10 »
Just making sure, I need plate mounted switches, correct?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #783 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 12:20:13 »
Just making sure, I need plate mounted switches, correct?

Yes

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #784 on: Thu, 18 September 2014, 21:53:03 »
Question, how much space is between the PCB and the bottom titanium plate when its all assembled?

Also, is the gasket on solid piece or does it just follow the perimeter of the plates?

I'm asking because I'm thinking of using a mini breadboard to wire up all the LEDs and resistors. I'd want to stick it in the middle of the two plates if it fits.
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #785 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:28:24 »
Fairly off-topic, but help me choose what switch to put in my Smallfry board. I'm currently stuck on MX Clears or MX Whites.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #786 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:30:45 »
I'm going for ergo clears on mine.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #787 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:31:55 »
Question, how much space is between the PCB and the bottom titanium plate when its all assembled?
appx 8mm

Also, is the gasket one solid piece or does it just follow the perimeter of the plates?
perimeter

I'm asking because I'm thinking of using a mini breadboard to wire up all the LEDs and resistors. I'd want to stick it in the middle of the two plates if it fits.
yah, you should be able to do this with perfboard. use like 26ga wire and 2mm perfboard.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #788 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:33:12 »
sorry folks, i've been slammed booting up at work. i'm going to have to push off contacting the cutter for an update until next week (unless he contacts me earlier saying he's done). this week is pretty much 100% spoken for.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #789 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:35:06 »
Thanks for the update mkawa!  :)

Fairly off-topic, but help me choose what switch to put in my Smallfry board. I'm currently stuck on MX Clears or MX Whites.

I am going for clears!

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #790 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 17:52:50 »
Thanks for the update mkawa!  :)

I am going for clears!

I am going to use linear stems with clear springs and lube.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #791 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 18:51:02 »
Blue w/ clear springs.
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline tbc

« Reply #792 on: Mon, 22 September 2014, 19:16:47 »
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #793 on: Tue, 23 September 2014, 00:48:40 »
appx 8mm

Also, is the gasket one solid piece or does it just follow the perimeter of the plates?
perimeter

yah, you should be able to do this with perfboard. use like 26ga wire and 2mm perfboard.

Damn thats a tighter fit than I imagined. Forgot that the PCB isnt flush with the top plate.

So yea, will be using something like this: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12702 probably.
Needa prototype it out on a actual breadboard first. I guess this gives me something to do before the kits are done lol

Thanks for the info
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #794 on: Sun, 28 September 2014, 11:57:48 »
if someone looking for a good looking keycap set for this keyboard PMK is having a GB atm
http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/greentea-smallfry-kit/

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=62684.0

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #795 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:16:52 »
I don't think the small fry kit has made MOQ yet.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #796 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:20:04 »
I don't think the small fry kit has made MOQ yet.

As far as I'm aware, all of the available kits have been sold and the kits are in production.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #797 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:20:46 »
Sorry, I meant with the key caps in the post above mine

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #798 on: Tue, 30 September 2014, 15:30:29 »
Sorry, I meant with the key caps in the post above mine

Oh. My bad lol
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Firebolt1914