Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 383765 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1400 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 21:03:41 »
Have we gotten any news about the pcbs recently?

Also where are we at currently in production?

I just got the prototype PCB a few days ago, but I haven't had time to build it up yet. It looks good, though, and hopefully production on those can start really soon.

Sweet! Regarding the firmware, IIRC this new PCB will run TMK, but I don't see a JD40 config directory in the TMK git repo (https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/keyboard). Do you have a default config file available elsewhere? I'd love to get an early look at it while we wait.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #1401 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 21:44:15 »

I just got the prototype PCB a few days ago, but I haven't had time to build it up yet. It looks good, though, and hopefully production on those can start really soon.

Sweet! Regarding the firmware, IIRC this new PCB will run TMK, but I don't see a JD40 config directory in the TMK git repo (https://github.com/tmk/tmk_keyboard/tree/master/keyboard). Do you have a default config file available elsewhere? I'd love to get an early look at it while we wait.

It's in my fork: https://github.com/Wilba6582/tmk_keyboard

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1402 on: Tue, 21 July 2015, 21:51:40 »

It's in my fork: https://github.com/Wilba6582/tmk_keyboard

Thanks, this is perfect!

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1403 on: Sun, 26 July 2015, 11:04:06 »
hey folks. i'm still alive, but quite ill (not mortally, just regular sick). before this thing hit me like bricks, i was bagging plates. will get back to it when i make it out of bed.

keep your germs off my plate!!!!!HJKFH!!!!!VBABWAWAAHHH!!!!!

:p

ps- feel better

no germs, i just haven't been able to eat solid foods. oh well. liquid diets are fashionable, right? seriously though, i'm doing fine but am actually on a liquid diet. i have a populated prototype pcb in hand that i'm going to mount into a plate.

one note, by the way, if you put 4-40 bolts into these plates, get nylon bolts. the clearance on 4-40s are very very small and will tap into the paint otherwise. here's the part number of some nylon 4-40s on mcmaster: http://www.mcmaster.com/#machine-screws/=y7zjph

i'll be sticking to 2-56 with nylon washers.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #1404 on: Wed, 29 July 2015, 14:03:14 »
Srs question, will these be shipped this year? If it's similar to Round 5 I can deal with just avoiding thread if I know it's going to take longer than this year.

All I had wanted was a JD40, the one that existent prior to this GB. I don't care for the bells and whistles, the bronze color isn't matte and not reflective metallic as originally described, and that was the only real preference I had.

Feel bad for the TheChemist for committing to build my board and others, please just do what you can to get these out the door by this point. The time for innovation/changes has long passed, save any improvements for future designs, i.e a SmallFry v2 board, because the changes so far (matted plates, teensy/pcbs 'upgrades') have just thrown the timeline off whack and aren't delivering the board that was originally described to us.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1405 on: Sat, 01 August 2015, 09:44:36 »

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1406 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 10:57:45 »
update guys: i'm going to try to fly back so i'm in boston again on the 12th. the pcb effort is still chugging along. it's looking pretty good though. i had some other stuff come in while i was gone. doing my best, but the family situation takes priority and well... it's not looking good.. :(

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1407 on: Wed, 05 August 2015, 11:16:14 »
update guys: i'm going to try to fly back so i'm in boston again on the 12th. the pcb effort is still chugging along. it's looking pretty good though. i had some other stuff come in while i was gone. doing my best, but the family situation takes priority and well... it's not looking good.. :(

Hopefully everything gets better. Family is more important.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1408 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 12:07:51 »
folks,

a close family member is terminally ill. there are no interventions left, and it is only a question of when and not if. in addition, he is across the country from me, and has limited help for day-to-day hour-to-hour issues now that i am back in boston.

thank you for your thoughts. i am really officially begging for help at this point (like seriously). if you're in new england, please give me a ring.

-Ming

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1409 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 12:12:10 »
folks,

a close family member is terminally ill. there are no interventions left, and it is only a question of when and not if. in addition, he is across the country from me, and has limited help for day-to-day hour-to-hour issues now that i am back in boston.

thank you for your thoughts. i am really officially begging for help at this point (like seriously). if you're in new england, please give me a ring.

-Ming

That sucks man, thoughts are with you and your fam.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1410 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 12:17:05 »
folks,

-Ming

What specifically do you need help with? I have some friends in boston that may be willing to give you a hand.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1411 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 13:49:34 »
that would be great. stay tuned. i'm trying to get my productivity back on track and coordinate various factions of the family and medical and in-home care from across the country at the moment.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1412 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 13:51:40 »
i mostly need help packing and sorting.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #1413 on: Tue, 11 August 2015, 13:52:13 »
best wishes man
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1414 on: Thu, 13 August 2015, 09:32:17 »
Wish you all the best...

Offline rpeterclark

• RPTR ❌
« Reply #1415 on: Sat, 29 August 2015, 05:51:38 »
Sorry to be that guy, but did that PCB prototype work out? Any news of a production run?

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #1416 on: Sun, 30 August 2015, 13:35:08 »
i mostly need help packing and sorting.
I start up class again soon, so I'll be up in boston the 4th. Just let me know if you want me to help. :thumb:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1417 on: Tue, 01 September 2015, 20:38:43 »
vibex, can you talk with dv about finding a weekend day when you can both come over and we can have a packing party? i have to do about 6-6.5 days/wk right now, so give me a heads up so i can fit it into the schedule.

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #1418 on: Thu, 03 September 2015, 19:13:45 »
vibex, can you talk with dv about finding a weekend day when you can both come over and we can have a packing party? i have to do about 6-6.5 days/wk right now, so give me a heads up so i can fit it into the schedule.
Will do :thumb:

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1419 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 18:17:14 »
jd's and willba's prototypes are working. a pack of prototypes sent to bunny were lost in transit :(. i have one unstuffed pcb and one stuffed pcb that needs switches. our pcb vendor is in the state (we're not doing production in china), so production turnaround will be fairly fast once we place the order. i'd like us all to sign off on things before we toss a couple grand at production, so i think i'm going to grab a couple of blanks and parts and do some musical chairs so that bunny gets some protos.

in the meantime, willba, jd and bunny have been keeping very busy. highly suggest checking out their current launches.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1420 on: Sat, 05 September 2015, 21:36:52 »
jd's and willba's prototypes are working. a pack of prototypes sent to bunny were lost in transit :(. i have one unstuffed pcb and one stuffed pcb that needs switches. our pcb vendor is in the state (we're not doing production in china), so production turnaround will be fairly fast once we place the order. i'd like us all to sign off on things before we toss a couple grand at production, so i think i'm going to grab a couple of blanks and parts and do some musical chairs so that bunny gets some protos.

in the meantime, willba, jd and bunny have been keeping very busy. highly suggest checking out their current launches.

Mind sending us some details on the pcbs? I'm curious what the prototypes are like.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1421 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 07:14:50 »
willba is the one to answer detailed questions about the PCBs. it is a very clean design that runs TMK and all the other AVR atmega based firmwares, and the few SMT ICs that are on the board will be soldered on at the factory. it should be quite easy to build, and because it's running "industry standard" firmware, expect it to be very mature; bouncing, connectivity issues, etc. will not be a problem. (which is one reason to make sure we all spend some time beta testing).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1422 on: Fri, 11 September 2015, 07:29:03 »
Any chance I can get my kit minus PCB as previously discussed?

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1423 on: Mon, 21 September 2015, 21:29:16 »
Any recent news?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1424 on: Thu, 24 September 2015, 12:15:58 »
Appreciate if there could be a update too. Thanks.

Offline GSimon

« Reply #1425 on: Fri, 02 October 2015, 20:47:02 »
"Lead-time on this project will be between 4 and 6 weeks due to tooling and shipment times."

:))

Guys we're SOL, can we just lock this thread? Or merge it with GH60 thread so we can combine our frustration of unfulfilled projects?

Or I'll just post a 40% weekly so we can at least envision one. Here's this week's photo:

photo by user: swill
date: 22/01/14

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #1426 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 10:37:53 »
Think anyone will want to buy my order if I post it up at a discount?

I was happy to help with the cause, but now I've lost interest and would rather have the cash for other things.
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1427 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 10:39:49 »

I was happy to help with the cause, but now I've lost interest and would rather have the cash for other things.

Someone would have to be a complete idiot to buy one of these orders at this point.

I already feel like an idiot for buying one to begin with.  :-\

Furthermore I realize there have been many things happen along the way and personal issues in real life but an update if possible would be nice.

« Last Edit: Tue, 06 October 2015, 11:06:36 by SpAmRaY »

Offline PandaSPUR

« Reply #1428 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 10:48:22 »

Someone would have to be a complete idiot to buy one of these orders at this point.

I already feel like an idiot for buying one to begin with.  :-\

Sigh :( yea you're probably right.

I guess I'll just wait it out and sell the kit once i have all the pieces.

Bought the 40% hoping to use it for when I travel for work. But by now, I'm already used to carrying my spare 60%.
Home:
Das Keyboard - MX Browns - Vortex Grey Side-Printed PBT Caps
Work:
KBT Pure - iKBC Aluminum Case - MX Reds
Vortex Poker II - Frosty on Lime Acrylic Case - MX Clears

Offline Greeeg

« Reply #1429 on: Mon, 12 October 2015, 17:25:18 »
Hey, Do you guys remember last year, when all the RAW plates were being shipped out for delivery by new years.

Or was I dreaming?

Would be great to get an update. PCBs been ordered yet?

Offline GSimon

« Reply #1430 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 13:25:49 »
When he goes full mia on this project his subforum should get the closer

user: hoz

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1431 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 13:29:17 »
Hey guys.  I have talked with mkawa.  He is still alive.  He is going through some stuff right now and asked me to post here.

He is dealing with a relative that essentially terminal, on the other side of the country, working 80 hour weeks along with working on his car 2 days a week just to keep it running.  He didn't go into details on that. 

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline fatchoi

« Reply #1432 on: Sat, 17 October 2015, 19:12:26 »
Hey guys.  I have talked with mkawa.  He is still alive.  He is going through some stuff right now and asked me to post here.

He is dealing with a relative that essentially terminal, on the other side of the country, working 80 hour weeks along with working on his car 2 days a week just to keep it running.  He didn't go into details on that.

That's sad to hear...
Hope his life will go back on track sooner.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1433 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 11:56:02 »
i just wrote up some long-winded apology, but apologies are pointless, and i could have packed 20 plates in the time it took to write it. i'd meant to close the store by july, but there you go. i'm holding myself to 5 packed plates a night until this is done. feel free to throw further expletives; i deserve it.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1434 on: Sun, 18 October 2015, 12:01:05 »
i will be sending out emails with subject "Smallfry Kit Address Confirmation" from address geekhackersllc@gmail.com to domestic customers as I go.

Offline Wigflip

« Reply #1435 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 15:00:26 »
LOL I'm so glad I didn't join this.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1436 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 15:30:19 »

These kind of comments are certainly not necessary.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1437 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 23:26:56 »

Go be an ******* somewhere else.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1438 on: Tue, 20 October 2015, 23:27:58 »

Go be an ******* somewhere else.
Don't worry, wherever he is I'm sure he's already doing that.

My boards:
More

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1439 on: Thu, 29 October 2015, 10:47:27 »
I would like an update though,

Even if it's just "I'm sick, we're working on X, i'll post something regularly"
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 October 2015, 10:51:03 by kravlin »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #1440 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 13:06:46 »
all the plates are bagged. rainbow found another 25 plates in my pile of stuff that hadn't painted. those are painted and will be headed to me next week. i have to get my fastener guys looking for the fasteners and o-rings needed to get me  bulk quotes (there are like 30 parts per kit). i originally specced tiny inch hex fasteners that i will have to change to phillips so that you guys don't have to buy allen wrenches to put things together (or i will have them quote the allen wrenches as well).

here is the sitch: i have a chronic gastrointestinal disorder. i have a terminally ill family member. i work _a lot_, and it's no secret that i'm not particularly happy about the situation there. however, this is an obligation that is work, and the only thing i enjoy is getting work done. certainly, fixating on the other stuff is not going to be particularly healthy. thanks for patience, and nasty words -- i know frustration well, and yours is justified.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1441 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 13:39:31 »
Thanks for the update.

Offline Tindron

« Reply #1442 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 14:15:46 »
If it would make things easier, I suspect most people assembling their own keyboard have access to a set of hex bits/allen wrenches.

Offline mrgoldenzombie

• Topre is cool I guess....
« Reply #1443 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 17:07:59 »
Looks great, Wished I grabbed one when they were in stock.
O-Ringed Black RealForce 87u  | O-Ringed Novatouch with Miami PBT

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #1444 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 17:22:42 »

Me too

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1445 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 17:29:50 »

Me too

I'm sure there are people who will gladly sell you one.

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #1446 on: Sun, 01 November 2015, 19:08:24 »
Either of you are welcome to PM if you want to buy my kit.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline kravlin

• Look for me on IRC
« Reply #1447 on: Mon, 02 November 2015, 00:06:10 »
all the plates are bagged. rainbow found another 25 plates in my pile of stuff that hadn't painted. those are painted and will be headed to me next week. i have to get my fastener guys looking for the fasteners and o-rings needed to get me  bulk quotes (there are like 30 parts per kit). i originally specced tiny inch hex fasteners that i will have to change to phillips so that you guys don't have to buy allen wrenches to put things together (or i will have them quote the allen wrenches as well).

here is the sitch: i have a chronic gastrointestinal disorder. i have a terminally ill family member. i work _a lot_, and it's no secret that i'm not particularly happy about the situation there. however, this is an obligation that is work, and the only thing i enjoy is getting work done. certainly, fixating on the other stuff is not going to be particularly healthy. thanks for patience, and nasty words -- i know frustration well, and yours is justified.

Totally understood. life **** happens. Take care of that first. Updates are good, just let us know you're alive every once in a while :) I'm excited, but not worried about getting something soon. I have GH60 to worry about before that. :P

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
[GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit
« Reply #1448 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 07:20:48 »
Yah, I'm alive for some definition of the word, and I have 60-70lbs of titanium plates bagged in my basement. The fastener wholesale guys are local and are going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than McMaster, but they have to go searching for the parts. All the fasteners are nylon to protect the paint, which makes them harder to find in bulk but cheaper when they are found.

Pcbs will probably be pick and placed to a bare minimum for cost reasons. Probably just the atmega placed by the factory, but again these guys are local so I'll have a chat.

I just got a deluge of emails, especially involving more plate cuts. The new material is sitting at the cutters waiting for me to nest an entire 4x4' sheet worth of cuts and work out a payment plan with them, since it's going to cost 3k$+ for all those cuts.

Wrt address changes, I will be sending out individual address confirmation emails when I do start sending parts out.

Thanks everyone.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1449 on: Tue, 03 November 2015, 09:20:29 »
Yah, I'm alive for some definition of the word, and I have 60-70lbs of titanium plates bagged in my basement. The fastener wholesale guys are local and are going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than McMaster, but they have to go searching for the parts. All the fasteners are nylon to protect the paint, which makes them harder to find in bulk but cheaper when they are found.

Pcbs will probably be pick and placed to a bare minimum for cost reasons. Probably just the atmega placed by the factory, but again these guys are local so I'll have a chat.

I just got a deluge of emails, especially involving more plate cuts. The new material is sitting at the cutters waiting for me to nest an entire 4x4' sheet worth of cuts and work out a payment plan with them, since it's going to cost 3k$+ for all those cuts.

Wrt address changes, I will be sending out individual address confirmation emails when I do start sending parts out.

Thanks everyone.

Sounds good, keep your head up.