Author Topic: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 97% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)  (Read 382500 times)

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders)
« Reply #1750 on: Tue, 22 August 2017, 16:01:57 »
30% of orders have been fulfilled as of today.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #1751 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 04:21:31 »
Awesome news. Let me know when mine is ready to ship out and I will Paypal you some $$$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1752 on: Wed, 23 August 2017, 12:19:59 »
43% of orders have been shipped or already delivered.

If you see an e-mail from Stamps.com with a shipping notification, it's most likely your SmallFry kit tracking info.  I've now added a more descriptive message to the stamps.com notification e-mail, as the default one is not descriptive at all.
. . .
If you are still waiting for your kit and reading the thread, please PM me with your address update, if you haven't done so already and if I haven't reached out to you yet myself.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 August 2017, 15:57:05 by Photoelectric »

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1753 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 20:27:35 »
Look what I got in the mail today!

I've already started assembling it earlier this afternoon but I'll have to put off finishing it until later. Also, it never occurred to me that the PCB had LED points, so I'm going to order some LEDs from Amazon before I close it all up.

One modification I've already made, and I'll post pics later, is I drilled a hole through the bottom plate where the Reset button is. I reprogram my keyboards all the time (it's almost more of a hobby than the keyboards themselves these days) so easy access to the reset button is critical for me.

Other than that, I've just got to say that I'm super excited to see this come through and I can't wait to see all the builds.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1754 on: Thu, 24 August 2017, 21:16:58 »
One modification I've already made, and I'll post pics later, is I drilled a hole through the bottom plate where the Reset button is. I reprogram my keyboards all the time (it's almost more of a hobby than the keyboards themselves these days) so easy access to the reset button is critical for me.

Thanks for the update!  Great idea about the hole for the bootloader button.  Was it difficult to drill through the titanium or messy?  Granted, your kit was clear-coated titanium, so perhaps it wouldn't be as invasive as with colored plates.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1755 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 00:13:40 »

Thanks for the update!  Great idea about the hole for the bootloader button.  Was it difficult to drill through the titanium or messy?  Granted, your kit was clear-coated titanium, so perhaps it wouldn't be as invasive as with colored plates.

I have a drill press and lots of experience drilling sheet metal. The trick is, go slow and steady, short pecks with decent pressure and a nice, sharp drill bit. This will help break the chips to prevent long chips from forming which might catch onto the bit and spin around, scratching the finish.

If possible, put another piece of metal stock underneath the piece to prevent the stock mushrooming out at the bottom, but if not it's not hard to deburr with a Dremel, which I did anyway just to give the hole a nice chamfer.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #1756 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 08:41:33 »
What LED's are suitable for this?
Tell Daddy.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1757 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 10:16:03 »
The standard 3mm round or 2x3x4 rectangular, or the best (for no keycap interference) would be 1.8mm small dome LEDs off anywhere like eBay or Aliexpress and such.  Basically the same type of LEDs that most other keyboards use.  No 4-pin RGB LEDs, however.
Random example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8mm-Water-Clear-Diffused-Round-Top-Warm-White-Red-Blue-Light-LED-Diodes-/122100046749

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #1758 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 11:54:20 »
Here it is!

And here it is without caps. MX clears, stickered and lubed by TheChemist waaaaay back in the day:

Yesterday I mentioned one modification, the addition of a thru hole for accessing the reset button:

I also used a Dremel to remove the little workholding nubs on each plate:

I was able to do this because my plates weren't painted, YMMV.

To everyone who had a part in this buy--those who conceived it, promoted it, bought into it, ran with it, took it over, picked up the pieces, and saw it through to the end--all of you have my sincere thanks.

My boards:
More

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1759 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 11:58:29 »
Looks great!  I love the industrial gray-with-a-touch-of-orange look.

The hole is super well done.  The gray titanium plates actually ARE painted, just in matte clear cerakote.  I personally advocate leaving the waterjet sprues alone, because whether you have the little nub there or the polished surface after dremeling off the area will still be about equally noticeable.  There's a difference in texture as well as reflectivity/color.

Offline bboyer

« Reply #1760 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 16:16:39 »
Just received mine in the mail and threw it together also, super cool little board. Huge thanks to Photoelectric for making it happen

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1761 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 22:33:54 »
Loving all the photos!
We're at 56% 60% fulfilled now (either already shipped, or dropping off at the post office tomorrow, or already delivered).

There will be some delay as more sorbothane gaskets need to be ordered.  I thought there were still more, but it turned out at the bottom of that box were some "missing" titanium plates instead.  Will contact Sorbothane with part number as soon as they are open again and get more.  Hoping their production period is quick.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 August 2017, 09:52:10 by Photoelectric »

Offline tahuds

« Reply #1762 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 21:09:08 »
Do we need pcb or plate mounted switches? It's been so long I don't even remember.
I have beerology feedback from sales on the arstechnica.com forum going back to 2007 at the link-  http://www.beerology.com/view.cfm?id=3848

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1763 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 21:15:07 »
Do we need pcb or plate mounted switches? It's been so long I don't even remember.

Does not matter in this case, both will work. 

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #1764 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 00:40:51 »
I understand where to solder the LEDs on the board but not sure where they go in relation to the switch/place
Tell Daddy.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1765 on: Sun, 27 August 2017, 08:01:37 »
I understand where to solder the LEDs on the board but not sure where they go in relation to the switch/place

I don't exactly understand your question, sorry. The LEDs go into the switches with proper polarity: plus (long) leg into the circular + labeled hole on the PCB, minus (shorter) leg into the square - labeled hole on the PCB under each switch.  Just like for most usual backlit Cherry type switch keyboards. 

(source: http://www.maxkeyboard.com/max-keyboard-blue-3mm-flangeless-replacement-led-for-backlit-mechanical-keyboard-110-pcs.html)
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 August 2017, 08:04:38 by Photoelectric »

Offline keshley

• Blog n stuff
« Reply #1766 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 13:06:43 »
Mine arrived today, totally forgot about this until I heard from Photoelectric.

I have no switches, and am actually packing up to move, so will be a bit before I build this little guy out. Happy everything worked out, thanks a lot to all who made it happen!

HHKB Pro 2       Pok3r

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1767 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 13:11:08 »
Mine arrived today, totally forgot about this until I heard from Photoelectric.

I have no switches, and am actually packing up to move, so will be a bit before I build this little guy out. Happy everything worked out, thanks a lot to all who made it happen!

This makes me glad. :thumb:

If you remember post pics when you get it built. :D

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #1768 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 13:18:39 »
Here it is!

Show Image
Show Image

And here it is without caps. MX clears, stickered and lubed by TheChemist waaaaay back in the day:

Show Image

Yesterday I mentioned one modification, the addition of a thru hole for accessing the reset button:

Show Image

I also used a Dremel to remove the little workholding nubs on each plate:

Show Image

I was able to do this because my plates weren't painted, YMMV.

To everyone who had a part in this buy--those who conceived it, promoted it, bought into it, ran with it, took it over, picked up the pieces, and saw it through to the end--all of you have my sincere thanks.

Looking GREAT!!! 

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1769 on: Mon, 28 August 2017, 17:34:05 »
Okay, the remaining sorbothane gaskets are on order, I was quoted a 3-4 week production period.  Had to get 50 gaskets instead of the 30 needed, because that's where the first break point in the price was, and it was a significant one, and we should have some extras anyway just in case someone messes up their gasket.  30 gaskets would have cost similar enough to 50.  Someone also contacted me about interest in a gasket for an earlier JD40 board, not part of this group buy.

Bottom line: rescuing this group buy is bloody expensive, getting close to two thousand dollars so far in shipping cost coverage and extra stuff that had to be purchased to complete the kits.  Extra gaskets will be available for sale (those that are beside the one included with each kit) with a little bit of a premium to help recoup some of the costs.

Offline daddytime

• Tell Daddy.
« Reply #1770 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 05:37:47 »
Could somone post a pic of how far down the front plate sit on the stabilizers? I had to file mine down but I'm not sure ive done enough as the switches barely seem to reac the board
Tell Daddy.

Offline r3nfr0

« Reply #1771 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 10:10:17 »
Could somone post a pic of how far down the front plate sit on the stabilizers? I had to file mine down but I'm not sure ive done enough as the switches barely seem to reac the board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1772 on: Tue, 05 September 2017, 18:36:17 »

You should be able to push the stabilizer stems as far as possible so as to have the bottoms of the switch housings just about touching the PCB.  Unfortunately tolerances on these plates with respect to stabilizers are on the tight side, so some plates require more stabilizer filing than others :(  If you have a good file, look at the sides of the stabilizer stem housings and file off any bits that stick out.  Then also try rounding corners a bit.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1773 on: Mon, 11 September 2017, 22:11:56 »
Very grateful I was able to get one of these after all but the stabilizer issues is killing me. I've tried for the last few nights to get these in and it isn't happening.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1774 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 10:41:06 »
Very grateful I was able to get one of these after all but the stabilizer issues is killing me. I've tried for the last few nights to get these in and it isn't happening.

Have you filed the stabilizer stems that go into the plates?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1775 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 11:01:52 »

Have you filed the stabilizer stems that go into the plates?

I've tried filing but I need a better file or at least a smaller one, mine is huge, tried just brute force which basically resulted in the stabilizer housing being shaved on one side which gave me the idea of using a razor blade to try and slice off some material (which almost went from bad to worse), I just don't see how it'll fit.  :-\

Obviously it is possible since others have had success, I'm just struggling for some reason but I've got plenty of extra stabilizers to destroy in this process.  ???

I never did get a dremel maybe now is the time...  :o

I feel like such a noob! :p

It's really too bad costar stabs won't fit, I don't like them but in this case I would make an exception. :D

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1776 on: Tue, 12 September 2017, 11:19:33 »
A good sandpaper sheet is really all you need, something ilke 400-800 grit.  The plastic is quite soft.  You can place sandpaper on a flat countertop surface and gradually file off any parts that don't fit.

Costar stabilizers don't fit at all, even after extensive filing.  I mean the plastic bits fit, but they get deformed, and the stabilizer does not work properly.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 September 2017, 11:23:23 by Photoelectric »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1777 on: Thu, 14 September 2017, 13:15:02 »
More Sorbothane gaskets have arrived!  I'll ship 6 orders for which I have received address updates and then I'm going to be away until October 3rd, so the remaining orders will be shipped after that.

If you mess up your gasket and want a replacement or an extra, please let me know.  I have some extras on hand now (unfortunately at some cost).

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1778 on: Fri, 15 September 2017, 12:46:33 »
We are now at 75% of orders fulfilled (shipped and/or delivered)

If you haven't confirmed or updated your shipping address yet, please contact me via forum PM.

Any voluntary donations to help cover the high costs incurred so far would be very much appreciated, as no money from the original GB fund was made available to me to cover missing parts, shipping materials, or shipping cost.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1779 on: Sun, 15 October 2017, 21:31:11 »
There are still a bunch of people who are not responding to my repeated requests for shipping address update.  (I'm also missing a few originally entered addresses, as the copy of the spreadsheet that I have has some empty fields for addresses).  If you are one of those people and for some chance not seeing my messages, but do end up reading this thread at some point, please contact me ASAP.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1780 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 16:19:24 »
Status update: 86% of the orders have now been fulfilled. For the remaining 13 orders, I'm still waiting to hear back from people about their up-to-date address information. 

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1781 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 23:09:22 »
And by the way

EXTRA SORBOTHANE GASKETS are AVAILABLE.  Please PM me if you need an extra one for whatever reason.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1782 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 18:47:54 »
Ok, up to 90% completed orders now.  Still waiting for a few people to respond with address updates.

Offline Grendel

• Firmware for Costar Replacement Controllers
« Reply #1783 on: Wed, 15 November 2017, 17:21:20 »
Got mine a couple days ago. Thanks for making this happen, appreciate it !

In case anyone wants to hook up an ISP -- there's an error in the silkscreen for the PB2 and PB3 pads (MOSI and MISO on the ISP connector), they are swapped.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 November 2017, 17:27:23 by Grendel »
Currently using: RK-9000WH/GR, CMS QFXT w/ Ghost Squid
- I'm game !

Offline Peglah

« Reply #1784 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 11:24:50 »
Got the last keycaps today. Here is my finished board, thoughts?

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1785 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 13:06:52 »
Super industrial. I hope you're using strong springs in those switches! Zinc caps are heavy.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1786 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 13:55:21 »

Show Image
Show Image

Definitely unique. Do the caps feel odd to type on?

Offline Peglah

« Reply #1787 on: Sun, 03 December 2017, 16:22:25 »
Super industrial. I hope you're using strong springs in those switches! Zinc caps are heavy.

Had to use what I had around. Zealio stems, Aristotles springs and Cherry housing.

Show Image
Show Image

Definitely unique. Do the caps feel odd to type on?

They do feel odd but not necessarily bad. Zinc caps are very hard to the feel. Really steardy.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1788 on: Mon, 08 January 2018, 17:21:23 »
Ok, we're at 92% of orders fulfilled at this point.  I have 6 orders left to ship, but still can't get in touch with 5 out of 6 people (2 are completely MIA in Australia--even tried texting).

I have extra JD40 II PCBs and extra Sorbothane gaskets if anyone is interested.

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #1789 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 08:06:40 »
Ok, we're at 92% of orders fulfilled at this point.  I have 6 orders left to ship, but still can't get in touch with 5 out of 6 people (2 are completely MIA in Australia--even tried texting).

If you still haven't been able to find those MIA Australians, I can probably find them in the AUMK facebook group or the Auskeys discord, if they're still active.
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Seeing this project fulfilled is giving me all the feels. Way to go, Photoelectric!

:eek:  ;D  :thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Seeing this project fulfilled is giving me all the feels. Way to go, Photoelectric!

:eek:  ;D  :thumb:

Holy $*!t, JD, you're alive!  Welcome back :)

I have 3 kits pending to ship, after which there will be 3 orders left to fulfill.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1792 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 10:12:45 »

If you still haven't been able to find those MIA Australians, I can probably find them in the AUMK facebook group or the Auskeys discord, if they're still active.

One of them has just finally responded, but I might need to take you up on the offer to find the other!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Holy $*!t, JD, you're alive!  Welcome back :)

Yes, holy $*it indeed. Thanks!!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
3 orders going out today, and we're at 96% of orders fulfilled.  3 left, 2/3 MIA, and I'm basically down to mismatched color or some scuffed bottom plates :(  But happy I got this far.

If any of those who've received their kits feel like donating some PayPal cash to help cover the huge expenses that went into recovering this group buy, it'd be very much appreciated.

I still have extra Sorbothane gaskets as well as JD40 II PCBs, if anyone wants them.

Offline chronos

Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 92% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)
« Reply #1795 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:52:29 »
Photoelectric DMing you for paypal details + dropping you cash for shipping etc on my keyboard, THANK YOU for making this happen

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [GB] The Smallfry Keyboard Kit (Closed for Orders, 92% shipped. SEE LAST POSTS)
« Reply #1796 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:15:34 »
Thank you <3  I'm glad this long ordeal came to a positive conclusion.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Shipping the last kit (assembled); up to 97.3% completed/fulfilled now.  2 orders remain unfulfilled, but I've not been able to get hold of those people.  Unfortunately at this point I'm also down to a few B-stock quality top and bottom plates (which means scratches or irregularities), so I suppose this is a logical overall conclusion to the group buy.  I still have extra JD40 Mark II PCBs and sorbothane gaskets.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I've still got my kit sitting on my desk after all these months  because I just can't get the spacebar stabilizer to fit the plate.

I tried shaving and rounding the stabilizer housing etc with no luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Tindron

The problem isn't the stabilizer housing, but rather that the bar hits the plate.  The notches in the plate are on the wrong side of the holes for the way the stabilizer fits into the PCB.  I ended up filing away part of the plate so my space bar wouldn't be permanently stuck in the down position.

« Last Edit: Mon, 21 May 2018, 20:21:51 by Tindron »