Author Topic: switches sampler  (Read 6882 times)

Offline Giorgio

switches sampler
« on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 16:18:02 »
I'm looking for a cherry switch sampler, but they all seem really overpriced, and none of them include the cherry compatibles switches.

This is particularly annoying considering that one of the users of this forum was selling a kit with at least 30 switches for 25 eur....

Can you please suggest me a tester that is not a ripoff?

thanks

http://www.cmstore.eu/cm-storm/keyboards/mechanical-key-switch-tester/

https://www.maxkeyboard.com/cart

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-sampler-kit.html

Offline drewba

Re: switches sampler
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 16:37:04 »
The coolermaster tester can be refunded IF you purchase a coolermaster keyboard. No opinion on the WASD tester except I believe the switches are all loose (no base).

I have the maxkey switch tester which is nice to put the switches in whichever configuration you prefer as you can place each different switch where you like in the base. Some assembly required :p

I wish they were a bit cheaper but I still don't regret buying mine, it's very beneficial to compare all MX  switches side by side.

Offline tbc

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 16:40:18 »
switch testers are always going to be expensive.

which cherry compatible ones are you looking for?  massdrop has a tester with gateron, but not kalih.

i would suggest you buy any one and then resell.  except for wasd, they don't have a plate, just the loose switches
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 17:18:25 »
I'm not looking for a particular alternative to cherry, I'm just curious to se what the other brands can do.

I see some money earning potential for any member of geekhack who can put together a sampler at a decent price....

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 18:18:03 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mechanical-Keyboard-Switch-Tester-Sampler-number-keypad-Cherry-MX-Razer-Gateron-/291337983177?pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=item43d518d4c9

Or make your own - you can get mechanical keypads (I have a 4x4 one) from eBay, and one of each switch you want to test.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Liar

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 19:47:09 »
One on MD for 25$ + S

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/varmilo-switch-tester

Can also choose a Gateron version

Offline shut up

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 21:13:56 »
None of them are especially cheap it seems, I've looked out for a cheap one also. It is good to get a feel for keyboard before buying though.
IBM Model M 42h1292 (Bolt mod, but still broken Yaaaayyyy) | Adesso Mkb-125b MX blues | Alienware Tactx (D0me5.)

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 21:17:45 »
I'm not looking for a particular alternative to cherry, I'm just curious to se what the other brands can do.

I see some money earning potential for any member of geekhack who can put together a sampler at a decent price....
The Gateron one on massdrop is good for you then

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 January 2015, 23:13:34 »
The Varmilo Cherry MX tester is pretty cool. You get all the rare Cherry switches like Greens, Clears, Tactile AND Linear Greys...

Tempted to get one

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 04:15:05 »
That tester is nice, I wonder why he didn't include some orings....
Also, maybe that an aluminum plate is not the best way to understand the sound of a switch...

Offline tbc

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 04:42:58 »
Also, maybe that an aluminum plate is not the best way to understand the sound of a switch...

most keyboards have a metal plate.

are you bothered brcause it's aluminum?
ALL zombros wanted:  dead or undead or dead-dead.

Offline spiritistz

• Daily Driver: RF 87U 55g
    • http://bgm.tv/
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 04:54:31 »
As far as I know, there isn't any company still making linear grey switch keyboard are they?
Filco NINJA Brown Switch for sale.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 05:06:09 »

WHy not? AFAIK a lot of boards use alu plates.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 07:24:54 »
As far as I know, there isn't any company still making linear grey switch keyboard are they?
There has never been one AFAIK, except some limited editions, custom orders or whatever. Greys (and greens) are originally *spacebar* switches.

In regards to the OP, I don't see the point. Typing is a different experience from pressing individual switches, especially if you have to hold stabilized modifiers from time to time, and both feel and sound are affected not only by mounting, but keycaps and the user (mood, time, setting/environment) as well. Moreover, different kinds of keys usually require some getting used to. Get a PCB-mounted keyboard and some harvested switches/stems&springs and keycaps instead, and play with that a bit.

Offline Liar

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 10:06:57 »

The Varmillo keyboards on MD are offered with Linear or Tactile Greys

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 10:48:59 »
I built my MX tester for $35.

$8 for the plate - http://www.ebay.com/itm/140380863344
$17 for the switches - http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
$10 for caps : http://xkeys.com/accessories/Keycaps.php

Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 11:48:25 »
That is a wonderful solution, too bad that the switches are sold in packs of five, of the same type.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 14:15:52 »

most keyboards have a metal plate.

are you bothered brcause it's aluminum?

Well, now I know one more thing :-) ...

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 15:51:38 »
That is a wonderful solution, too bad that the switches are sold in packs of five, of the same type.

Not if you ask.  :thumb:
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 03 January 2015, 16:41:58 »
try asking in the free stuff thread, there are plenty of people willing to send a switch or two for the cost of shippjng
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 05:20:11 »
Thank you LIAR and LU_E, I purchased the massdrop tester

I liked very much the solution of 0100010 but the delivery cost were killing me, since I live in Italy

I will also purchase some additional switches from aliexpress.com, it seems to be the cheapest place for that kind of purchases, since the cost is about 1$/piece including the delivery.

You are such a wonderful community!  :cool:

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 05:22:28 »
Isn't 7bit cheaper at €0.65 per switch?

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 09:19:45 »
What is the address of the 7bit website?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 04 January 2015, 09:25:18 »
Deskthority Marketplace