Author Topic: Are there any attached coiled Model M PS/2 cables available for purchase?  (Read 1332 times)

Offline rifath33

So I have this Model M and it's really great and all but I really love how coiled cables look on these things.
It's one of the newer Model Ms with a non-detachable PS/2 cable. It's completely a completely straight cable.

Do you guys know if I can buy a coiled non-detachable PS/2 cable for my keyboard anywhere?   ;D

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
No experience with these but if you're going to have to solder it anyway just buy a detachable cable and cut one end off?  Or if it has a connector cut the end off and attach the connector from the current cable?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Is it a round badge IBM, a lexmark or a unicomp?

you can buy replacement cables from unicomp here but the non-detachable ones are straight. You could make your own cable and put some coils in it. However, I'm not sure if these are backwards compatible with IBM branded Model Ms. If you really want a good quality old cable I would consider selling yours and buying an older one with a detachable cable.

Offline rifath33

Hey
It's a round, blue-badge Model M

Offline rifath33

suicidal_orange, I was thinking about the cutting off the end of a cable and soldering thing but will it work? I don't know that much about wiring stuff - I guess my question is will a regular detachable coiled cable have the wires I need to attach it onto the Model M PCB? I'm just not sure if it's compatible like that...

Offline rifath33

Or! Can I buy like an older Model M PCB controller with the detachable cable port inside so I can just connect it???

But then I'm probably gonna have to cut a hole in my keyboard's case or buy a compatible case LOL

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Or! Can I buy like an older Model M PCB controller with the detachable cable port inside so I can just connect it???

But then I'm probably gonna have to cut a hole in my keyboard's case or buy a compatible case LOL

Right. All that is doable but... again, you're better off selling it and buying an older one with a sweet ass coiled cable  ;D

Offline Maledicted

Yeah, sell it and get a different M with a coiled cable, or coil the cable yourself.

Offline funkmon

Yeah, sell it and get a different M with a coiled cable, or coil the cable yourself.

This works. If you've developed a relationship with your board and don't want to sell it, you can coil a cable yourself. Check youtube for tutorials, because I'm sure some are out there. If not, clean your board up really well, and then sell it on eBay. Then, buy a dirt cheap Model M with a coiled cable and you're fine.