Author Topic: XDA profile?  (Read 8602 times)

Offline skuko

XDA profile?
« on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 08:01:15 »
so what do you guys think about it?

yes i'm implying the new MiTo set on MD, but i want your opinions about the profile. i have a couple of DSA sets at home (the OG granite and macross among them) but i stopped using them, because i felt that that the gaps between the caps are too large, especially for gaming.

seeing that this profile has a bit larger top surface are and thus a bit steeper cap walls, it could be the ideal mix between SA (way too high for me) and DSA...

what do you guys think?

Offline mustardgreens

Re: XDA profile?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:46:13 »
I actually like the small pads on DSA. It's less comfortable, but I find I'm more accurate with it. 

XDA looks alien to me, and based on looks alone I don't have much interest in it.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 09:48:16 »
The only DSA set I have and ever will have is Granite, and...I actually like typing on it on my Jane. The Jane has a rather wide angle, so the flat keys aren't as bad as on a flatter board.
Going to try and get on the Canvas set if I can. I'm sure it won't be much different in terms of typing angle.

Offline zslane

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:26:18 »
I really like the shape of these XDA keycaps.

Can't really comment on their texture until we type on them. Can't comment much on colors since we've only seen a very limited color range between the two keysets released so far (Milestone and Canvas). Since they are uniform R3 there's not much else to say about them, really.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:35:29 »
Slightly higher then DSA with a little bigger patch and I expect to like it better. Waiting on my XDA milestone set. Non sculpted are good for filling strange and small boards!
keyboards.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:52:13 »
I'm curious about them but am waiting it out for a set that appeals to me.

Offline zslane

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 12:59:40 »

Same here.

Offline mniels

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:12:54 »

I am actually kind of digging the canvas set.  Apparently so are a lot of other people, 1983 sold so far with 11 days left....

Offline zslane

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 14:18:22 »
I think that's the novelty factor at work (not novelty as in novelty keycaps, but novelty as in its the first XDA set people are seeing).

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 16:25:32 »

I am actually kind of digging the canvas set.  Apparently so are a lot of other people, 1983 sold so far with 11 days left....

This set may appeal to others.  It doesn't appeal to me.  I'm sure an XDA set will come along that I like.  If so, I'll likely buy it.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:06:03 »
This is the third (or 4th?) XDA set I'm aware of. Milestone being the first. I bought into that because I wanted a subdued gray/white set with blue and red mods and thought the profile would work nicely on compact boards where it may be a hassle to deal with sculpted rows. Plus, XDA has molds for every conceivable spacebar size.
keyboards.

Offline zslane

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:26:24 »
Milestone was probably very popular with folks who liked Granite and missed out on the real thing.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 January 2017, 17:26:31 »
This is the third (or 4th?) XDA set I'm aware of. Milestone being the first. I bought into that because I wanted a subdued gray/white set with blue and red mods and thought the profile would work nicely on compact boards where it may be a hassle to deal with sculpted rows. Plus, XDA has molds for every conceivable spacebar size.

Yup, the initial runs have been pretty mellow colorways which, if I'm spending money on caps, aren't really my thing.  They're the caps that came with the keyboard I bought and will soon be replaced.  We're really talking personal preference, though.  I'm waiting for stuff like Troubled Minds, Skeletor, and Dasher/Dancer type colorways while others like more mellow colors like gray and beige.