Author Topic: Razer Sabertooth  (Read 2658 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Razer Sabertooth
« on: Fri, 01 May 2015, 01:04:01 »
My PC 360 controller is getting a bit long in the tooth and is about ready to be put out to pasture. I'm looking to either replace it with the Xbox One controller or the Razer Sabertooth but have never had hands-on with the Sabertooth. Any PC controller suggestions or info about that controller?

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
Re: Razer Sabertooth
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 00:48:30 »
Never tried the Sabertooth, but the XB1 controller is really, really nice. Connects to the PC with any Micro-USB cable.

Offline Axollott

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 02 May 2015, 01:13:14 »
I use a PS3 controller on OS X and Android without any hassle. It just works nicely.

Offline Coin-op Adjutant

• Official Toga Llama
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 18:58:29 »
Late reply, I know, but I wanted to give my 2 cents on this one:

I own one of these controllers.  I actually had one of the earlier models.  You get a few goodies with the controller.

My findings thus far:
  • Razer QC must have struck on the first one I had; about 2 months in, the R1 trigger caved into the controller and I had to RMA it.  No problems with the 2nd one thus far.
  • The A/B/X/Y face buttons are tactile (read: clicky) and backlit.  (You can turn the backlighting off, FWIW.)  I presume they might have a Kailh switch in each; it's been hard to find out further information on that.  IMO, this is the best part of the entire setup.
  • The rocker buttons are a neat idea, but most PC games I own don't even recognize them (let alone use them).  FWIW, you can map the extra buttons to act as face buttons and so forth, which some may like.
  • The onboard memory allows you to switch between 2 profiles.  Best part: you don't need Synapse to make use of this.
  • The D-pad buttons are independent, rather than being mapped to one rocker, which is nice.
  • The default sticks have an odd grippy texture to them, and you get a couple of green rubber grips to lay over them.  The grips feel nice, but they also start to disintegrate and leave crap in your joystick slots, which is bad; they're a pain to clean out.
  • Not wireless.  I'm perfectly OK with that, but if you don't like braided cables, beware.
  • The bottom of the controller has a headset/mic jack, if you use that sort of thing.

Aside from the tragic mechanical failure on that first one, I'm pleased with this second one overall.  If you're willing to stomach the ~$80 price tag, I'd recommend it over the standard XBox controller (those never quite sat right with me for some reason...)
KEYBOARDS OWNED:
CM Storm QuickFire Rapid (MX Blues)  ||  CM Storm QuickFire TK (MX Blues) || Model F XT (Capacitive buckling spring, repaired and spray-painted black) || Leopold FC660C (Topre 45g, white/gray dyesub)

MICE/OTHER PERIPHERALS OWNED:
Logitech G9X (x2)  ||  Razer Deathadder 2013  ||  CM Storm Spawn  ||  Razer Sabertooth  ||  Hori Fighting Stick VX (360/PC)  ||  CM Storm Reaper

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 19:01:02 »
Triggers on the razer ones are absolute garbage. Get a dualshock 4 and use this software: https://inputmapper.com/ I hate the tension on the xb1 controller analogs (too light/sensitive), but the ds4 seems to be the perfect tension for me.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |