Author Topic: [IC] GMK Kanbara  (Read 15555 times)

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
[IC] GMK Kanbara
« on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 14:37:13 »
murdered keycap set
« Last Edit: Sun, 04 September 2022, 20:51:45 by Krelbit »

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Re: [IC] GMK Kanbara
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 14:38:55 »
Wow, love the colors! GL with this Krelbit!

Offline mcmaxmcmc

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 14:39:56 »
oh cool, pre-yellowed caps

Offline audrentis

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 14:43:00 »
nice! thanks for adding the 1u =  :thumb:

Offline Crooks

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 14:44:20 »
nice
f l y  o r  d i e

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 14:45:11 »
oh cool, pre-yellowed caps

No sun needed :^)

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 15:09:05 »
I don't think the 1.75u spacebar or the second 1u spacebar are necessary if you don't have 40s/ortho support

Offline NovaRMK

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 15:13:43 »

Offline Vibex

• Love y'all
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 15:23:09 »
One of my favourite ukiyo-e prints by one of my favourite artists. Insta buy for me!

Offline Steelbloo

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 15:55:47 »
This is a new take on a neutral set I didn't know I needed. Love the aged look it gives off too

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 16:06:08 »
Love the alphas color.
Really clean set.

-If you gonna have extra B in base kit, might as well provide full Alice support in that base kit.
I really don't think spacebar kits are necessary when they don't also include some accent color, as they feel very expensive for a small kit where most people only going to use 1 or 2 keys (and not sure how popular 6u and 6u off centered are).

-I feel there is room for some interesting novelties and rama/thok with that theme.
Base set is really clean, but personally would like some flair from some novelties.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 16:59:11 »
I think your spacebar and r5 kit descriptions swapped places. Nice IC, interesting splitting up the r5 into a separate kit to lower base kit price.
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline Buburoo

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 17:07:01 »
Any thoughts on including ISO-UK or JIS compat?

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 17:22:30 »
guys shhhh nobody mention mod colored pipe, it's not gonna happen just like last time okay just be quiet

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 18:17:28 »
Any thoughts on including ISO-UK or JIS compat?

ISO-UK, unfortunately not at this time. I've not seen sufficient demand for it, well, ever.
JIS is basically down to a handful of molds that I'm not comfortable raising the price on the set to accomodate, and any other GBs that have them have yet to start, so those molds, as far as I'm concerned, haven't been paid for. Otherwise, yes, I'd probably support JIS. It's a hiragana-based set and it would feel kind of weird to not support JIS if I could.

I think your spacebar and r5 kit descriptions swapped places. Nice IC, interesting splitting up the r5 into a separate kit to lower base kit price.

Whoops fixed thanks

Love the alphas color.
Really clean set.

-If you gonna have extra B in base kit, might as well provide full Alice support in that base kit.
I really don't think spacebar kits are necessary when they don't also include some accent color, as they feel very expensive for a small kit where most people only going to use 1 or 2 keys (and not sure how popular 6u and 6u off centered are).

-I feel there is room for some interesting novelties and rama/thok with that theme.
Base set is really clean, but personally would like some flair from some novelties.

The thing is, the second b is pretty harmless in providing full physical alice support, while freeing up any numpad keys people might want to use for standalone numpads. Since there are so many alice layout boards (and the list just keeps growing), it'd be nice to offer at least that.

As for novelties, there's just nothing that really inspires novelty-wise. Trying to shoehorn in a full set of novelties is really just not my style, and if I genuinely have no fitting ideas it's not the place to put anything in. It's not like the set would stand out  more because I added novelties, by it's color choices it's not really meant to stand out at all, really.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2021, 18:19:40 by Krelbit »

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 18:58:44 »
I don't think the set needs to stand out.
But I just think novelties really tie together a set and helps to identify the inspiration.

I will agree that just based on these 2 prints it's a bit hard to find enough novelties.
But I still think there is the theme of the snow that could be interesting to look into (snowy mountains, snowy trees, snowy houses, the Hats, the occasional red and blue pops of colors, some related Kanjis? like "yuki/snow, Kanbara", etc).
Or to go slighly beyond those 2 particular prints and explore what you often see in Ukiyo-e.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2021, 19:03:19 by CookieFlow »

Offline megaforce

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 18:59:53 »
pog
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline jewleeuhn

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 19:24:16 »
this is nice. pls more pale yellow sets
Brutal60 | GS6O | IU | Mc65 | 2.0add

Offline Weaselpc

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 20:42:19 »
maybe black instead of grey on the yellow?

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 21:30:33 »

Black doesn't really provide the same yellowed-on-paper effect that I'm looking for.

But I just think novelties really tie together a set and helps to identify the inspiration.

I will agree that just based on these 2 prints it's a bit hard to find enough novelties.
But I still think there is the theme of the snow that could be interesting to look into (snowy mountains, snowy trees, snowy houses, the Hats, the occasional red and blue pops of colors, some related Kanjis? like "yuki/snow, Kanbara", etc).
Or to go slighly beyond those 2 particular prints and explore what you often see in Ukiyo-e.

It's not that there aren't ideas, there just aren't ideas that I like, and would fit well while being easy to convey, so I just won't have anything. I'll keep it simple. Not every set needs to wear its inspiriation on its sleeve.

Offline dimo

[IC] GMK Kanbara
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 21:39:37 »
any reason why the red symbol is tilted instead of upright like the original print?

I would also put it on the yellow color and not the gray, the print mainly has it on the yellower hue and I think it looks a bit better.,
I think the red markings would be where to look for potential novelties but i agree, i wouldn’t add more than one more than the number there are now.

i also think the blue color of the escape is maybe a little too desaturated and gray. the clothing in “Evening Snow at Kanbara” is quite saturated and pops really beautifully against the yellow. If you’re open to adjusting that blue more, I think “Evening Snow at Uchikawa”’s lake color would also work well.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 April 2021, 21:52:37 by dimo »

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 21:43:46 »
Mr. Krelbit, you're too good at colors. GLWIC!

Offline Weaselpc

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 21:50:00 »

Black doesn't really provide the same yellowed-on-paper effect that I'm looking for.

It's not that there aren't ideas, there just aren't ideas that I like, and would fit well while being easy to convey, so I just won't have anything. I'll keep it simple. Not every set needs to wear its inspiriation on its sleeve.

makes sense. you want the focus to be the paper not directly the writing/painting.
looking forward to the gb

Offline arremkay

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 17 April 2021, 23:44:46 »

Offline cthalupa

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 00:36:53 »
i like it

Offline chung

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 03:11:06 »
noice

Offline P103

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 06:08:08 »
Is there a version with more contrasting blue like the one in painting?

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 13:36:09 »
Is there a version with more contrasting blue like the one in painting?

any reason why the red symbol is tilted instead of upright like the original print?

I would also put it on the yellow color and not the gray, the print mainly has it on the yellower hue and I think it looks a bit better.,
I think the red markings would be where to look for potential novelties but i agree, i wouldn’t add more than one more than the number there are now.

i also think the blue color of the escape is maybe a little too desaturated and gray. the clothing in “Evening Snow at Kanbara” is quite saturated and pops really beautifully against the yellow. If you’re open to adjusting that blue more, I think “Evening Snow at Uchikawa”’s lake color would also work well.

The kanbara print's blue, while saturated, isn't really that bright. It's also pretty much a gradient, which means no matter what color I end up choosing, moving slightly down or slightly right makes it the wrong color.

What I've got right now is a decent average of the colors on the smock/coat. I'm not sure there are many ral colors that would be better.

I'll consider moving the novelty to the yellow, seems like a decent idea, and it's sideways because having it stand upright was just a little too anal-beady.

Offline Funktion

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 13:42:54 »
Big fan of the colors, hope it happens soon.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 13:53:55 »
What is that red thing novelty, is that the healing gourd from Sekiro.

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 14:28:05 »
kinda looks like cheese

Offline NoxNoxNox

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 14:32:13 »
neither of them will include mod tilde and mod pipe.

What an absurd hill to die on tbh. 

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 15:57:16 »
1.5U supers please

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 18 April 2021, 17:44:34 »
1.5U supers please

If added, would only be a single 1.5u super. I'm not sure many people actually use it, though.

Offline Krelbit

• Switchmod.net
    • Switchmod
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 16:37:28 »
Revision 1 kitting decisions, please let me know if you have any other kitting suggestions.

- 1.75u & 1 of the 1u spacebars has been removed from the spacebars kit.
- Novelty will be changed from red on grey to red on yellow.

That's all i've got this week, I'll give it another week and then progress with the IC process a little more. Thank you for your interest!

Offline azzipa

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 20:33:23 »
1.5U supers please

If added, would only be a single 1.5u super. I'm not sure many people actually use it, though.

as a mac user i am tired of using alt keys and no longer support sets that force me into a windows bottom row. i can live without command, but I appreciate super. you do you, i love the colors. but i will watch and wish you well. (also makes me wish i bought a moon thermal just for this set.)

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 26 April 2021, 22:45:23 »
Oblotzky is weird ...

Also Mr Krelbit is weird ...

And I am weird....

This situation I have arrived in is Not Good. Uh oh
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline ManoliVisuals

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 27 April 2021, 10:27:29 »
I really love these colors! I would be in for this set. Only thing I would like to see is more novelties in a separate kit but that's not a deal breaker for me by any means! GLWIC  ;D

Offline dimo

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 29 April 2021, 18:15:29 »
are more renders on the pipeline?

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 01:17:56 »
I see a krelbit set. I am intrigued.

Offline Galk

• Send help
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 30 April 2021, 03:38:59 »
All i can think of is Weezer
Collecting pennies to afford keyboards.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #41 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 19:32:28 »
1.5 u supers and 1u alts didn’t even make row 5 kit. i am so bummed. i don’t really like R5 but would have bought just for those 4 keys. life as an outlier...

Offline Namkhanhv

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 05 October 2021, 21:34:11 »
The color theme of this set is very unique. Any updates?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 06 October 2021, 04:34:33 »
Consider changing R4 1.25u Menu to Meta or Fn (the latter two legends are much more versatile than the former).

Also consider dropping stepped R3 1.75u Control and numpad 00, = as those keys are rarely used. You'd be better off adding 2× 1.5u Super, second 1u Alt in place of those keys.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 October 2021, 04:38:16 by konstantin »