Author Topic: Building custom keyboard- worth it?  (Read 2763 times)

Offline legodt

Building custom keyboard- worth it?
« on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 15:14:24 »
I have recently come across an offer for 102 brown switches for 30 dollars (still attached to their keyboard). Would it be smart to buy the board, pull out the switches, and build a board using a PCB from the classifieds? With only moderate soldering experience, is building a board from scratch a worthwhile experience? And if not, what else could I do with a board full of brown switches?
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 15:22:55 by legodt »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Building custom keyboard- worth it?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 15:29:33 »
Well you got to have a case, keycaps, stabilizers, possible diodes, led's etc to go along with a pcb and switches.

You also have to have a soldering iron, solder, desoldering gear etc.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 15:33:37 »
Why build a board when you can just stick them in a pre-made board?

Offline legodt

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 15:38:29 »
What is the process involved with swapping switches across boards?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 December 2013, 17:18:00 »
What is the process involved with swapping switches across boards?

Depending on how they are mounted and if your replacing stems and springs  it all depends.

But if its a stock plate desolder and solder back.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 December 2013, 17:22:44 by SpAmRaY »

Offline jacobolus

Offline bearcat

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 12:43:42 »
yes, it is worth it :)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 11:23:03 »
why don't you just buy a Cherry board? Then you don't need to desolder anything. When you have decided that a particular switch type is your favourite, you can always buy the keyboard itself or build your own.

Too many people try building their own Kmacs or whatever's costly, then discover they didn't like the switch type and sell.

I have recently come across an offer for 102 brown switches for 30 dollars (still attached to their keyboard). Would it be smart to buy the board, pull out the switches, and build a board using a PCB from the classifieds? With only moderate soldering experience, is building a board from scratch a worthwhile experience? And if not, what else could I do with a board full of brown switches?
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 11:44:44 »
Depend,IMO if you have layout own,i think i should make it,
if the layout still same with most layout, i prefer to buy :)
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline jadow

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 12:01:16 »
why don't you just buy a Cherry board? Then you don't need to desolder anything. When you have decided that a particular switch type is your favourite, you can always buy the keyboard itself or build your own.

Too many people try building their own Kmacs or whatever's costly, then discover they didn't like the switch type and sell.

um, would you mind explaining what is a cherry board? It sounds interesting...

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 12:34:14 »
Cherry is a brand of keyboard. Same as Filco, Ducky, Tex, Topre, or any other keyboard manufacturer.

My first mechanical boards was the Filco MaJestouch2 Ninja. Ninja just means side printed keys.

Offline kyb

• i love the smell of nopsleds in the morning
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 14:19:12 »
Yes, it's worth it.

Also you don't need a PCB for prototypes. Direct soldering works very well. The most difficult part (for me) is to prototype the mounting plate because of loooong iteration times. The rest is easy.
Ergodox :o

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 17:28:37 »
If by custom you mean mixing and matching from various keyboards, absolutely. It can be a cheap way of experimenting to find what you want.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 26 December 2013, 14:41:58 »
Is it worth your time: Almost certainly. Experience doing anything is always great. Soldering is a great skill and you'll pick it up very quickly if you do an entire board. Plus, if you like it after you are done, you'll be more attached emotionally than if you were to have just purchased a board.

Is it worth your money: It's your money. Do you want to spend more or less than just buying a brand name keyboard? You might find that you don't like it in the end, so it's worth including that in what you are willing to spend to get a working keyboard out of those brown switches.

If you are fine with the layout of the existing cherry brown keyboard, why not try to fix it instead of using it as a parts board? It's all up to what you want to do and where you want to put your money. I'd take the PCB and the switches because I find projects like this fun.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards