Author Topic: 59% - or - not quite a 60% keyboard  (Read 10265 times)

Offline regack

59% - or - not quite a 60% keyboard
« on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:00:37 »
After typing on my Pure for a couple of years I came to realize there are some things I just wanted to change.  I was going to make those some of those changes in the GH60, but, well... moving on.  I sort of tried the 40% layout, but it just had too many function/layer changes for everyday use - particularly when it came to passwords.  So, after some tinkering, I made my own thing.  So far I can just start typing on it without really having to make any changes at all.  Function keys are in easy to hit places for me, and I have still have dedicated arrow keys. 

Here we are, getting read to start assembly.
94238-0

Moving along, MCU checked out, time to install some Greens.  That's 3mm acrylic. 
94240-1

Switches installed, I ran out of the aluminum bits for the frame, so it's not quite done.
94242-2

...and keycaps (WASD customs).  I might eventually go all blanks, but I thought I might need some hints to get started, especially with the bottom row, and the tab/Q caps/A.  Tab and caps are on the momentary function layer, as are the F-keys, home/end/pgup/pgdn, etc.
94244-3

Here are some pretty colors with the indicator LED under the A/caps key:
94246-494248-594250-6

Slightly better lighting?
94252-794254-8

I should have taken some pictures next to the Pure, but I forgot, and my pictures are terrible anyway, but here it is next to the Race.
94256-9

Anyway, I'm pretty excited about it :D

So, I'd like to take a minute here, before I run off and go play on 10fastfingers for a while... I'd like to say thank you to jdcarpe, for making me a plate design a year or more ago... and swill, for the new online tool, so I could re-check the layout.  Hasu, for the firmware that I'm using, and everyone else for the inspiration.  Thanks Geekhack!
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:05:43 by regack »

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: 59% - or - not quite a 60% keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:11:52 »
Looks good.  It has a very clean presentation.  I assume the Fn key toggles caps lock and enables tab.  If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the keycaps made and was it very expensive?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:21:46 »
Looks good.  It has a very clean presentation.  I assume the Fn key toggles caps lock and enables tab.  If you don't mind me asking, where did you get the keycaps made and was it very expensive?

Here you can ask for a custom color with a custom layout and it is around $45 USD.

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:41:55 »

Here you can ask for a custom color with a custom layout and it is around $45 USD.

Thanks, Ideus. 

Regack, those A and Q keys...

Going back and reading the OP, I see that I've made a fool of myself.  The answers to my questions were in the OP.  I guess my eyes were dazzled by that magnificent specimen.
« Last Edit: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:50:45 by derezzed »

Offline joey

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:48:03 »
That looks awesome!

When I start work on my layout, might have to take some elements from this.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 18:50:57 »
Nicely done!

Can you show off the bottom side and the microcontroller? Most people don't appreciate the effort to stick an ATmega in the middle of a switch matrix, but I do ;-)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 19:08:19 »
Thank *you* regack for sharing this with us. Nice little layout :)

Offline joey

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 19:10:18 »
Nicely done!

Can you show off the bottom side and the microcontroller? Most people don't appreciate the effort to stick an ATmega in the middle of a switch matrix, but I do ;-)

I'm assuming it's on the side opposite the 'regack hybrid' logo.

Offline regack

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 19:23:56 »

Nicely done!

I'm assuming it's on the side opposite the 'regack hybrid' logo.

Actually, it's rotated 45 degrees, and under QWAS.  I didn't take the cover off the acrylic on the bottom plate yet, so it's hard to get a photo through there without taking it off.  I can do that once I get the last of the frame pieces.

Here's the layout in Kicad

94262-0

So... full disclosure, this is the little sister to the full board, which had those 20 other keys.  I just cut off that section to make this one first.  I just haven't put the extended-edition one together yet.   The extended-edition one is just a little shorter than a TKL. 

Offline neverused

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 19:41:37 »
May I ask what that is below the capslock? It looks like micro dome switch?

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 19:52:59 »
Actually, it's rotated 45 degrees, and under QWAS.  I didn't take the cover off the acrylic on the bottom plate yet, so it's hard to get a photo through there without taking it off.  I can do that once I get the last of the frame pieces.
one together yet.   The extended-edition one is just a little shorter than a TKL.

Nice. That's roughly where I put it on the JD45. Can you share your part number for the USB? I've just built up the Planck PCB with one that's got through-hole mount pins but SMT signal pins, but I'm looking at alternatives, esp. ones with all TH pins so it's end-user solderable (and thus optional).

Offline regack

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 20:10:10 »
May I ask what that is below the capslock? It looks like micro dome switch?

There are two things there, on the outer edge of the board is the reset switch - it's actually a really low profile blister-like ALPS switch :D (SKRRABE010).  The other, over the atmega is some kind of 5050 RGB led, I can't find the packaging.

one together yet.   The extended-edition one is just a little shorter than a TKL.

Nice. That's roughly where I put it on the JD45. Can you share your part number for the USB? I've just built up the Planck PCB with one that's got through-hole mount pins but SMT signal pins, but I'm looking at alternatives, esp. ones with all TH pins so it's end-user solderable (and thus optional).

It's a nice solid through-hole part : Molex 54819-0519

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 15 March 2015, 20:44:34 »
Very cool, regack! You finally made your custom keyboard. That is a great looking keyboard!!

Awesome job, as usual. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 01:07:55 »
Nice project! Let us know in a few months how you like using it.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 16 March 2015, 03:16:34 »
Love it! Beautiful keyboard, really clean, and a super clever layout! :)

Offline regack

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 20:30:01 »
I finally got the last bits and pieces to put together the Big Sister version...

I've changed a couple of minor things - moving the Left-Alt into a more familiar position, extending the firmware to cover the numpad area, and alternate mappings for those keys.   The only thing I forget sometimes is that when I need to tab between fields on a webpage, I occasionally type 'q' then remember I have to Fn-Q to get Tab.  Other than that, I've been really happy with my weird layout.   

Here's the "big" one next to the WASD Code:

And just for additional reference... the little one:

Offline neverused

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 22:44:20 »
Can we get more details on the sides of the case? What do you use? Thanks!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 05:21:30 »
Very nice little keyboard you have there.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline regack

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 10:35:21 »
Can we get more details on the sides of the case? What do you use? Thanks!

The frame is this hobby aluminum extrusion stuff : microrax.  I'm sure there are lots of different versions floating around in the world - some might be cheaper - but I got some on a whim for something else, and thought it would be easy to use for acrylic plates.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 11:26:59 »
Thanks so much for that Microrax case idea! I'm going to have to steal that...

Offline Bucake

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 11:48:46 »
definitely one of the coolest boards i've seen
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline regack

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 18:22:21 »
Thanks so much for that Microrax case idea! I'm going to have to steal that...

They also sell these little rubber feet bumpers (attached with screws), which make a nice anti-slip and add some height :D
95061-0

... and the keyboard should go great with this mini-computer - I just need to get the two together for some photos...

95063-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 March 2015, 18:27:27 by regack »

Offline NexVestrum

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 18:36:47 »
Wow I love the layout, great job! Absolutely gorgeous build but whats up with the spacebar? It looks super lopsided, is it an upside down shift key?

Offline regack

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 19:10:28 »
Wow I love the layout, great job! Absolutely gorgeous build but whats up with the spacebar? It looks super lopsided, is it an upside down shift key?

Yes, it's a 2.75 shift, I turned it upside-down to see how it felt.  I'm not completely sold on it yet.  It does look really weird.

Offline NexVestrum

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 24 March 2015, 21:34:07 »

Yes, it's a 2.75 shift, I turned it upside-down to see how it felt.  I'm not completely sold on it yet.  It does look really weird.

Here's an idea for ya, at least to test out. Maybe take an old spacebar (or buy a cheap one) and cut two sections out saving the middle for the stem and the two ends. Then epoxy the parts back together so that its the same length as a 2.75 shift. A razor saw could probably make a cut clean enough to splice the parts together pretty seamlessly.

I dunno I'm just spitballing here.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 25 March 2015, 00:10:54 »
You folks should all try spacebars made out of flipped number row profile (e.g. flipped backspace).

Offline regack

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 20:36:45 »
This thread is a billion years old, but someone asked about it so I've finally fixed the bad trace on one of the switches and posted up the kicad stuff onto github here: https://github.com/regack/59pct

I use the smaller 62-key version pretty much every day, and I'm really happy with it.  The larger version I don't use as often, but I still bring it out occasionally.

Offline skipped

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:16:26 »
Does typing a Q or an A feel different, or is it not that noticeable?

Offline regack

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:25:23 »

No, it's really transparent.  The only time it seems to show up is if I end up quickly switching back and forth between this and a "regular" keyboard, and then the only problem is I forget and hit Q instead of TAB.   I tried to keep the spacing/stagger the same, so it's pretty natural.  Mostly what ends up happening is when I go to type in a username/password I end up with [regackq] instead of tabbing into the password box :P

Offline skipped

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 21:28:26 »

No, it's really transparent.  The only time it seems to show up is if I end up quickly switching back and forth between this and a "regular" keyboard, and then the only problem is I forget and hit Q instead of TAB.   I tried to keep the spacing/stagger the same, so it's pretty natural.  Mostly what ends up happening is when I go to type in a username/password I end up with [regackq] instead of tabbing into the password box :P

That's awesome, great project

Offline joey

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 05:38:14 »
I tried to lay out a 40% in a similar style: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2a35444e25e1549b2541

Offline regack

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 05:59:22 »

I tried to lay out a 40% in a similar style: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/2a35444e25e1549b2541

Hey that's great! That looks very similar to a project I've been working on and off on - I call it the 49er, because... well, it has 49 keys...

123033-0

There are a few layers, but it basically looks like this : http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/b3ab0b32cf2646af28c3
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2016, 06:12:30 by regack »

Offline joey

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 06:10:06 »
Have you got a KLE link for that? Not so easy to visualise from the PCB :P

I basically want to use standard keysets on a 40%.

Offline regack

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 06:16:19 »
Yes, sorry, I just put that up in an edit to my last post.  If I could bring myself to cut off another 1.25 from the width, it would fit into a Planck case - which would be great from an 'inexpensive cases available' point of view.  I don't know if I could live with the layout, however.  The thing is, I never thought about combining the Shift and Z like you have, even though I did that with Tab and Caps... I think I might be able to figure something out with this.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 January 2016, 06:23:30 by regack »

Offline joey

« Reply #34 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 06:39:26 »
I'm not sure how practical it would be.. maybe I can remap my 60% at some point to test it out.
Sounds like your Tab/Q key worked out fine?

Offline regack

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 06 January 2016, 07:36:18 »
I'm not sure how practical it would be.. maybe I can remap my 60% at some point to test it out.
Sounds like your Tab/Q key worked out fine?

Yes, Tab/Q is great, no problems there at all, except when rapidly switching between layouts, sometimes I forget and type a Q instead of a TAB.  I'm not sure if I can deal with Z/Shift or "/Enter