Author Topic: [IC] Lumberjack PCB Kit R2 - Ortholinear through-hole aesthetic 60% PCB  (Read 14811 times)

Offline panka

Re: [IC] Lumberjack PCB Kit R2 - Ortholinear through-hole aesthetic 60% PCB
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 15 January 2022, 03:57:46 »
I'm happy you added Alps footprint to the PCB, but remember to also make Alps plates. The holes need to be a bit different for Alps switches than for MX.

That's a good point. I don't have any Alps switches to test with, can I get away with just making the switch holes wider or do I need to have the corners shaped like SwillKB plate builder shows? I'd rather avoid having to have a different Alps plate, but I want to ensure that it will actually hold Alps switches securely.
making the cutouts wider will make both mx and alps switches fit poorly.
alps cutouts are 15.50mm x 12.80mm iirc, there is also an alps+mx cutout but i'm not sure how well that works.

Offline jotchua

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 22:59:24 »
Your through-hole kits look amazing! Unfortunate that not that many people are interested in your Rosaline design. I personally really love the Rosaline 40%, it looks so compact and portable! Looking forward to any future groupbuys

Offline splodeybaloney

« Reply #52 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 07:54:14 »
I feel like I'm with a lot of others, was interested in R1 but dragged my feet on picking one up. I've been looking for an interesting new board to build lately and would be thrilled to pick one of these up

Edit: after doing some research for a couple hours, I have a build in mind and will be looking to get a purple PCB
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 January 2022, 10:11:08 by splodeybaloney »

Offline peej

• I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:02:12 »
Quick update.

I finally got around to building up the prototype PCB last weekend, everything works as expected so I'm happy with that.

I heard back very promptly from JLCPCB about the manu issues with the USB-C drill holes. They have assured me that there's nothing wrong with my gerbers and that they will instruct the fabs to be more careful. They also offered to re-fab them for me, but they are just prototypes and I only need one that works, not 5.

Let's talk MCUs. The Lumberjack uses the Atmega328p DIP package MCU, a not very common chip these days, mostly used in Arduino kits. As you are probably aware, there is a global chip shortage at the moment due to all the crap going on in the world. This has led initially to the price of MCUs going up x3 and to them being out of stock and not to be restocked until 2023. To counter this, I have preemptively grabbed 50 chips before the prices started to rise and have now found a local supplier (Germany) who while being more expensive I should be able to get chips from unless they sell out. Chips will be ordered before invoicing so as to ensure I have supply before promising kits.

Group buy will run for two weeks. I will ping the mailing list when it goes live, but if you are here reading this then you will see it on GH anyway.

Offline jonathanraime67

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 10:33:50 »
EXCITING!!

Offline ravenousrhino

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 25 January 2022, 11:07:06 »
Quick update.

I finally got around to building up the prototype PCB last weekend, everything works as expected so I'm happy with that.

I heard back very promptly from JLCPCB about the manu issues with the USB-C drill holes. They have assured me that there's nothing wrong with my gerbers and that they will instruct the fabs to be more careful. They also offered to re-fab them for me, but they are just prototypes and I only need one that works, not 5.

Let's talk MCUs. The Lumberjack uses the Atmega328p DIP package MCU, a not very common chip these days, mostly used in Arduino kits. As you are probably aware, there is a global chip shortage at the moment due to all the crap going on in the world. This has led initially to the price of MCUs going up x3 and to them being out of stock and not to be restocked until 2023. To counter this, I have preemptively grabbed 50 chips before the prices started to rise and have now found a local supplier (Germany) who while being more expensive I should be able to get chips from unless they sell out. Chips will be ordered before invoicing so as to ensure I have supply before promising kits.

Group buy will run for two weeks. I will ping the mailing list when it goes live, but if you are here reading this then you will see it on GH anyway.

Is this the same supplier you got for PCB's last time? I couldn't millmax one of the boards for split space because one hole couldn't fit a socket so I had to go for two 2u's.

Offline peej

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 26 January 2022, 03:30:16 »
Yes this is the same manufacturer, JLCPCB is quite a bit cheaper than anyone else.

Is this the same supplier you got for PCB's last time? I couldn't millmax one of the boards for split space because one hole couldn't fit a socket so I had to go for two 2u's.

That sucks, sorry about that. We had an issue with some of the white soldermask PCBs, I tried to QC the PCBs but it is easy to miss these things. I will definitely pay more attention to the drill holes this time around and raise any issues with JLCPCB. I will of course also make sure that I order plenty of spare PCBs.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 26 January 2022, 09:26:07 »
In rev 1.5 with added holes for choc switches, are we still able to apply MillMax sockets to the pcb?
More
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline peej

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 28 January 2022, 08:38:37 »
In rev 1.5 with added holes for choc switches, are we still able to apply MillMax sockets to the pcb?
More
Show Image

I would imagine so. The Choc pads are "upsidedown" so they do not interfere with the MX pads at all. The Alps pads do overlay somewhat, so depending how you like to do adding sockets it might make your life harder.

Offline DeMechanica

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 06:26:24 »
Already holding 2 of the V1's waiting on cases to come in to build them out, but you have me for at least a 3rd with the Bakeneko 60 compatibility, possibly even a 4th to send a build or two out to some friends!

Basically what this guy said 😅 Let me sign up for email updates somewhere please!

Offline peej

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 09:10:10 »
Basically what this guy said 😅 Let me sign up for email updates somewhere please!

Oh yeh sorry, should have linked this earlier: http://eepurl.com/hyPSt9

Offline peej

« Reply #61 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 09:46:02 »
The group buy thread is now live: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=116179.0