Author Topic: PiKeeb - the portable digital typewriter based on the Raspberry Pi Zero  (Read 5759 times)

Offline ILWrites

The open-source digital typewriter for the digital age

Hello, GeekHack community! First of all, let me introduce myself and this humble little project of mine.

My name is Ilya and I'm the creator of PiKeeb - the RaspberryPi-enabled battery-powered open-source hackable digital typewriter with hot-swappable mechanical switches.

Here is the little video showcasing the latest vision of the PiKeeb

Ok, cool. But what it can actually do?

• It can act as a standalone small portable linux PC, thanks to the Raspberry Pi Zero.
  • It can also act as a standard mechanical keyboard for your main PC.

Here is the list of main features:
  • Versatile. Two modes, PC mode and Raspberry mode, ensures versatility of the device. Switching between the modes happens via a keypress.
  • Reprogrammable. The keyboard matrix is connected to the AtMega32U4 chip running QMK firmware, thus making every key fully reprogrammable.
  • Customisable. Hot-swappable MX sockets ensure great customisability of the sound and feel of every keypress without the need of soldering/disoldering new switches.
  • Portable. PiKeeb has a display (LCD or e-Paper). And thanks to the built-in Lithium battery, you can type anywhere, even without the main computer/notebook, because PiKeeb itself is a small computer.
  • Connected. On-board USB hub ensures connectivity and expandability.
  • Open-source. The complete design, including the CAD files of the PCB and the case, is going to be open to anyone to view and modify.

Who is this product for?

PiKeeb is for anyone who type. Students, programmers, system administrators, writers, bloggers - everyone would find the PiKeeb useful.

Thats great, but what’s the status, Capitan?

The project is in the active development.

I am trying to bring this idea to life with the help of Reddit user u/dohmain.

The roadmap of this project is as follows:
  • Roughing up the idea
  • Designing and assembling the prototype. <------ We are here
  • IC and funding
  • Open-sourcing
  • Production
  • Shipping

Gallery

Latest assembly of the redesigned PCB is currently in progress.

Testing the previous iteration PCB.

The LCD screen on the previous iteration PCB and the monitor backplate.

[Sponsored content]
Huge thanks to JLCPCB for sponsoring the production of all the PCBs that you see on those pictures! They are famous for their cheap PCBs of the exceptional quality. They are based in China, but fear not, as their exceptionally quick 24-hour PCB turnabout time and fast shipping will make sure that you get your PCB fast. So if you are in search for a reputable PCB manufacturer for your next keyboard/electronics project or prototype, head over to JLCPCB.com, upload your design and get the instant quote now!
[/Sponsored content]

Useful links and contacts:
Subreddit dedicated to this project - I post updates and all of the stuff regarding the project there first.
YouTube channel I've made to be able to post that promotional video here. Would use it to upload some other videos regarding this project, like the upcoming exploded assembly of the 3D render.

Ok, enough promoting your project. Tell us about who you are and how it all began.
As mentioned above, my name is Ilya and I'm from Russia. I was always fascinated about the technology and computers. I'm old enough to remember those big chunky electromechanical typewriters. In fact, I was using one in the elementary school and fell in love with it from the first keystroke. I carried that love over the ages, but was wondering why the input devices are getting worse in both the feel and sound. Until about two years ago I learned about the mechanical keyboards. The PiKeeb project was started as a way to put all of my hobbies (3D design, electronics, computing, programming and, obviously, love for mechanical keyboards) into one single massive project. I wanted it to be something unique, something uncommon. One day I was browsing Reddit and I see this so-called "cyberdeck". Then I thought to myself, why not make it a digital typewriter and shared my idea with the mechanical keyboard community. To my surprise, my idea caught the attention of other people, who encouraged me to make one. That's how PiKeeb began its journey.

And here I am, at another keyboard enthusiasts' forum, writing about my little project. ;D Hope that you'd like it.

So if you are interested, or have any question, don't hesitate to express yourself in this thread. I'm always open for the discussion and critique. ;)
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 March 2019, 16:25:54 by ILWrites »

Offline ILWrites

Re: PiKeeb - the portable digital typewriter based on the Raspberry Pi Zero
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 16:20:12 »
[This post is reserved for updates]

Offline nevin

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 16:25:39 »
cool concept. have you roughed out aprox. size & weight yet?
watching with interest.
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline ILWrites

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 16:35:27 »
cool concept. have you roughed out aprox. size & weight yet?
watching with interest.

Thanks for your interest, nevin. Regarding your question, the size of the current version of the case is approximately 160x280x65mm. The weight really depends on the case material properties. I'm yet to decide regarding that.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 17:15:30 »
Interesting idea, what made you chose ortho non-stagger for this classically inspired device?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline ILWrites

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 04:56:23 »
Interesting idea, what made you chose ortho non-stagger for this classically inspired device?

Sorry for the late reply (something's wrong with my notification settings) and thanks for your interest.

Ortho, in my opinion, is more ergonomic than the staggered "classic" layout. Additionally, ortho is offering more customisability of the layout. Like you can have your modifiers in the middle columns, making the keyboard "semi-split". Plus, the full matrix looks way cooler than the "regular" keyboard.

Oh... Almost forgot... MOAR BUTTONS!  :D ;)

Offline _GMK_

• not affiliated with GMK
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 07:07:14 »
I'll check this again when you'll support staggered layouts. In the meantime, thanks for this wonderful project :thumb:

Offline nevin

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 07:29:15 »
.... but once you try ortho, staggered just seems..... silly.   ...antiquated, unintuitive, awkward, wasteful (with space/large keys)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 09:11:31 »
.... but once you try ortho, staggered just seems..... silly.   ...antiquated, unintuitive, awkward, wasteful (with space/large keys)

lol

Offline ILWrites

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 09:22:14 »

While I agree with you, I gotta say that everybody got their own tastes and preferences....  ;)

I'll check this again when you'll support staggered layouts. In the meantime, thanks for this wonderful project :thumb:

Yes, staggered version is planned for the next iteration.
However, I guess I should have stressed this out a little more... This project is going to be fully open-sourced. So that you can make the staggered version, or/and make it 40%, if you so desire.

And thanks for your support.  :thumb:

Offline nevin

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 March 2019, 09:45:34 »
While I agree with you, I gotta say that everybody got their own tastes and preferences....  ;)

absolutely, ortho seems scary/foreign until you get into it, then the differences become glaringly obvious (better or worse, is up to the user). just wish i wouldn't have waited so long to try it.

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 09:56:06 »
Tuning in with great interest. Looking forward to seeing moar on this project  ;)
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)

Offline ILWrites

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 25 March 2019, 09:51:32 »
Tuning in with great interest. Looking forward to seeing moar on this project  ;)

Yep. Thank you for your interest and support!  ;D

There is definitely MOAR to come!

Offline ILWrites

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 16:06:07 »
I've added a new video of the exploded assembly:

Also, check out the latest report on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PiKeeb/comments/b4mg13/pikeeb_progress_report_no16/

P.S.
The new report will be published when I hear from the assembly guy.

Offline nevin

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 04 April 2019, 16:31:39 »
nice.