Author Topic: [Finished] Omnikey/Fullsize custom PCB  (Read 23094 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
[Finished] Omnikey/Fullsize custom PCB
« on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 22:43:48 »
Welcome!
I recently did an interest check on here and Deskthority about making a replacement PCB for the Omnikey lineup, and later it grew to include ANSI and ISO support. On top of all of this, I also designed a plate for all the layouts(single DXF file, as there are 360+ different layouts!!) so you can make a custom fullsize or larger board using a sandwhich case, or if you wanted, even an all aluminum one.

PCB Render:
190918-0
Sorry for the bad render, I don't have any better way to render PCBs.

Product Info:
The board will be black with ENIG(Gold) pads, with minimal silkscreen in white.

Supports:
  • Ultra
  • Ultra T
  • Plus
  • As well as all other derivatives/variants
  • Custom sandwhich plate 100% or larger

What is included:
  • PCB
  • 1N4148 Diodes(optional; 140 quantity)
  • Plate file for all layouts
  • Default QMK layout file and source code

What is Needed:
  • Teensy++
  • Three 2x3x4 LEDs
  • Resistors
  • Switches
  • Case or Omnikey to put in
  • USB cable to route into the case, or if your omnikey has a panel mount PS/2 port then you can use a Mini-B panel mount extension like this https://www.adafruit.com/product/3318

Layouts:
Supported layouts include all original layouts for the omnikeys, and include the option for ANSI or ISO support for enter and shift keys. As well there is the option for the below layouts, matching colors can be swapped and red keys will have to be given up to do so. Default layout is to have as many keys as possible on the PCB at once. There will be an included DXF file for a plate, that contains all switch positions, only thing that needs to be done is delete the cutouts you don't want, and make an outline for the edge of the plate (in file is the PCB footprint).

190920-1

You can cut of the extra function columns on the left hand side, using either a razor saw and cutting down the middle of the plated holes where the silkscreen line is. Or you can score down that line, on both sides, with a sharp blade and snap it off to support boards without the extra function keys.

Pricing:
Note: Prices do not include final shipping or Paypal fees.

PCB:
  • 10   - $47
  • 15   - $38
  • 20   - $34
  • 30   - $29
  • 40+ - $26

Diodes:
  • $6 for 140

Shipping:
  • Pricing will be done per person, but I just did a test price, expect to pay $10 - $15 for shipping in the US.

Quantity Note:
The above listed quantities are strict, I can only order those exact amounts, so if I get 12 orders, I will have to order either 10 or 15. Unfortunately, I can't afford to have extras laying around, so either people will have to fill those spots, or I will have to order 10, and the last 2 orders will be canceled. This is unfortunate but I am not a retailer and just can't afford to have extras. But if I get 14 orders, then I will order 15, and just keep the last one myself or sell it off. I just want to make sure people know, that I can only order specific quantities. But I will have a live list of how many are on order so it isn't a mystery.

Schedule:
This GB will open on 3/8 at noon central time and close on 3/14 at midnight central time.

Once orders are in, invoices will be sent out for the price point reached, and you will have until 3/21 to pay, if all payments are done before then, then the order will be submitted prior to 3/21

Production will take 2-3 weeks to arrive at my door. From there I will ship them out within 1 to 2 weeks depending on how many PCBs are ordered.

GB Link:
GB closed. 8 PCBs left if anyone would like to buy one.

Live Order Count:
  • PCBs on order: 21 We have just hit the second price drop!!!!!!
  • Needed for next price drop: 9
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 June 2018, 10:43:29 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] Omnikey/Fullsize custom PCB
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 16:02:57 »
Approved  :)

Remember, Caveat Emptor.
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 17:43:15 »
The math isn't quite as hostile as you make out.

Assuming shipping to you doesn't change, after 13 units it's worth rounding up to 15, even if you throw away the spares.  Same at 18 units (go up to 20) 26 (round to 30)  and 36 (to 40)
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 19:04:33 »
The math isn't quite as hostile as you make out.

Assuming shipping to you doesn't change, after 13 units it's worth rounding up to 15, even if you throw away the spares.  Same at 18 units (go up to 20) 26 (round to 30)  and 36 (to 40)

Why do you say that? I am genuinely curious how you came up with that conclusion. Not trying to be rude.
« Last Edit: Thu, 08 March 2018, 19:57:06 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
[GB] Omnikey/Fullsize custom PCB
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:03:56 »
Because 12 * $47 = $564 and 15 * $38 = $570. You would go ahead and order the higher number at the lower price for about the same total cost
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:17:48 »
What he said... here's a handy chart...
191028-0

If you get to 26 orders you might as well order 30. Cheeper for you and more flexible if another order comes in "late."
Seems wasteful of materials, yes, but that's how economies of scale works.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 March 2018, 20:28:42 »
Because 12 * $47 = $564 and 15 * $38 = $570. You would go ahead and order the higher number at the lower price for about the same total cost

Okay, I figured it was something along those lines. Well that makes thing easier then.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 22:23:24 »
Still sitting at 12 PCBs. If you are still thinking, just note you have until 3/14 at midnight to get your order in. If you know someone with an omnikey, or who likes large board layouts, hit them up and see if they would like to join the GB. We are so close to hitting the first price drop and I hope we can reach it before this ends!!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:06:51 »
We just got to 15!!! We have now officially hit the first price drop, hopefully we get in some more orders because we are only 5 away from another price drop.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 19:52:17 »
Congratulations.  I just ordered a scrap-grade 102 to build off of.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 March 2018, 20:11:34 »
Congratulations.  I just ordered a scrap-grade 102 to build off of.

Sweet can't wait to see it!!!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 12:14:40 »
We are 4 away from another price drop!!! I will keep the GB open until Friday at midnight now, as I want to see if this gets mentioned in TopClack so when get can lower prices.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 14:03:59 »
We are now at 17 PCBs, so close to getting the next price drop, invite your friends and spread the word so we can drop down the price another step.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:11:46 »
This will work in a 101 case, right?
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:21:02 »

Yes it will fit it there, just cut off or score the extra function section and you are good to go. It has the provisions for the through board screws to attach the top of the case to the plate.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:24:35 »

Yes it will fit it there, just cut off or score the extra function section and you are good to go. It has the provisions for the through board screws to attach the top of the case to the plate.

Very good, now I just need some better switches!

in memoriam

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 13 March 2018, 16:35:54 »
Very good, now I just need some better switches!

Thank you very much for your order!!! We always need better switches though, wish there was NOS blue alps somewhere :(

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 00:01:47 »
I know it's heresy here, but I like Matias switches; they're consistent and available in quantity, and I want to support them for what they've  done for the Alps fandom.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 00:30:00 »
I know it's heresy here, but I like Matias switches; they're consistent and available in quantity, and I want to support them for what they've  done for the Alps fandom.

I have nothing against matias, just prefer pine alps specifically for their feel. I have over 100 sitting in my room atm, and even have some older ones from when he first ran them.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 15 March 2018, 22:01:25 »
Update:
Okay I have closed orders as I wasn't able to get the shoutout on TopClack for last minute orders.

We managed to get 21, which means I will bite the bullet and order 30 so no one loses out and I can sell the remaining ones in another quick round or if people are wanting to buy another one before I place the order they can.

If you wish to buy one of the remaining 9 PCBs, send me a PM and I will be happy to sell you one at the same pricing as the GB. I won't place the order until all payments are in, So you have some time.

I will begin running the invoices for the boards tomorrow and will have to figure out how shipping is going to work as the board is so large that I have to find an equally large box to allow it to arrive safe to all of you. Payments will be due by 3/23 at midnight central time.

Thank you all so much for making this a reality and I hope it exceeds you expectations!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 22:04:32 »
Update:
All invoices are sent and only 3 people need to pay before I can place the order. Thank you to everyone who paid quickly, it was surprising to see that happen, and I really appreciate it.

I have finished all files for the plate and layouts. Only thing I am not sure about is the ISO enter stab location, so I only have it in on position as I don't know have anything to go off of.

If you see an issue let me know and I can fix it or, if you want to edit it download something like libreCAD to edit the files.

You will need to edit to choose your layout, the dashed lines were left to show the centers of the cutouts so you can tell which lines go to which switch location a bit easier. The large box around the outside is the PCB so you know what needs to be cleared, ad the rounded rectangles above the numpad are the LED cutouts.

Here is the link to all of the files, if there is an issue accessing it please let me know so I can try and fix it asap.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d0DvjrakqBxhnLHPwJdS20mbl1JpRkMQ/view?usp=sharing

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 02:15:01 »
One thing I figured I should mention before you submit the order:  on the Teensy++, one pin, possibly PD6, is wired to the LED, and that one causes weirdness if used as part of the circuit.  This caused some issues on the GH-122 project, so you might want to confirm this.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 10:57:23 »
One thing I figured I should mention before you submit the order:  on the Teensy++, one pin, possibly PD6, is wired to the LED, and that one causes weirdness if used as part of the circuit.  This caused some issues on the GH-122 project, so you might want to confirm this.

I am not using PD6, but can you confirm if that is the pin, or if there are others? I have never been able to find which ones have issues.

EDIT: PD6 is the one with the LED, and I don't think there are any other pins that have issues when used for keyboards. So if that is the only pin, we are good.

Also wanted to note that PC5 and PC6 are open to the end user for PWM functions.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 March 2018, 20:34:16 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 20:33:41 »
Update:
I just went ahead and place the order for the PCBs, They should be here the beginning of next month. Already made the order for the diodes, which will get here tomorrow. I can't wait for these to arrive, Really excited to hold one of these for the first time.

Thank you all for your help and orders that allowed this to become a reality, I never expected this to work out like it did and I am happy it did, as I learned from it and was able to improve the product because of this. For those that are going to use these right away, Please post a build log somewhere, and post a link here in the GB, to show how things went as I really want to see the final product that my boards helped create.

I will have 9 extras as mentioned before, so if you end up wanting another or you missed out on the first round, you still have a chance! Just PM me on here, GH or reddit and I will get you set up.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 01:11:28 »
You'd better deliver.

I spent this evening dissecting my Omnikey 102 carcass.  (I had already cut the top case to expose the extra 12 key positions in the later models).

Apparently the Northgate people decided to make the keyboard unit entirely out of solder.  I swear, you could barely get through 2 or 3 switches before ejecting a large wad of solder from the sucker.  When this was done, there were the five retention screws, caked so deeply in solder that they couldn't be dislodged from the PCB.  I ended up cutting away the PCB around them.  This kicked up enough non-RoHS dust to permanently stunt the growth of every child within a 20km radius of my workbench.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 31 March 2018, 10:36:11 »
You'd better deliver.

I spent this evening dissecting my Omnikey 102 carcass.  (I had already cut the top case to expose the extra 12 key positions in the later models).

Apparently the Northgate people decided to make the keyboard unit entirely out of solder.  I swear, you could barely get through 2 or 3 switches before ejecting a large wad of solder from the sucker.  When this was done, there were the five retention screws, caked so deeply in solder that they couldn't be dislodged from the PCB.  I ended up cutting away the PCB around them.  This kicked up enough non-RoHS dust to permanently stunt the growth of every child within a 20km radius of my workbench.

I am going to deliver, The PCBs get here on monday (cleared customs yesterday).

I had to do the same thing when desoldering my pcb...only 2 screws came off easy, and I just scored the solder around the screw and they were able to unscrew again. But my board was already messed up so I wasn't too sad about it.

I will have a video made on monday or tuesday depending on what time they deliver, with a working board so you know what to expect.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Re: [IN ROUTE] Omnikey/Fullsize custom PCB
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 02 April 2018, 12:47:19 »
Update:
The PCBs just arrived, got a chance to inspect them so far, the solder pads for the attachment screw are a tad off, but those holes can be filed open safely as there are no traces near them. Will be soldering one up later today once my headers for the teensy arrive.

Here is a sneak peek:
192922-0

EDIT: Sorry for the blurry picture...Phone hates me sometimes. Will be making a video showing the board working tomorrow as I don't expect the headers to arrive until later tonight.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 April 2018, 12:51:12 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Re: [ARRIVED AND TESTING] Omnikey/Fullsize custom PCB
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:06:16 »
Update:
Just finished the video.

Also note that there are now only 6 PCBs available, so if you want another or if you happened to miss ordering, please let me know. Also if you are thinking of getting another PCB but are waiting to receive your first one, just let me know you are interested. I know 1 person so far has mentioned they may buy another, so 5 are available, with the 6th on standby.

I inspected all boards and the one in the video is the worst condition one, it had a gouge around an LED pad, but no other board had the same issue. This board will not be sold, and is the one I will be using as I don't want to give someone a B-grade product if an A-grade is available.
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 April 2018, 16:58:57 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 21:53:03 »
Update:
I have to redo the firmware as the logic for the LEDs was backwards, was lazy and used kbfirmware, so I have to setup the firmware for everyone and this may take a bit, and I want to test to make sure it works before sending the boards out as I haven't been able to test LED functionality yet.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 15:37:41 »
Update:

Okay just finished the default firmware, with a bit of help from TerryMathews to figure out the LED issues I was having(all code based issues). Everything works now and is fully tested, Sadly in the process I had to kill the board with the gouge on it as it was also shorting the led positive to ground so it would be an ugly fix to remake the not destroyed traces, so only 5 boards are available as I destroyed a personal board I need to replace. So I will start packaging and preparing for shipment tomorrow, and will start shipping these out this weekend and the beginning of next week.

Will be merging my QMK fork soonish, so it will be supported there. Just have to makes sure everything is good before I do so.

Offline Hak Foo

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 01:14:06 »
One more obnoxious tech question:  Can you tell which pins were used for row, column, and LED?  I'd like to set up Soarer's Controller on this because I like that you don't need a whole AVR cevelopment stack to change the key mapping. :)

From looking at your picture and the assembled unit, It looks like the LEDs are B4-B6, and the rows might be B7 and D0 through D4, but I can't see the column stuff because it's on the back and covered by the Teensy now.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 03:03:56 »
Seems the QMK source has been uploaded here so the matrix pins can be seen, I don't see the LED yet but the link will surely update when it's done...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline gened

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 10:22:42 »
Not sure what problem you're having, but I used the QMK source from the web with no issues with the LEDs....maybe your polarity is backwards?  Short leg of the LED goes in the hole with the square.  Used 330 ohm resistors.

I was actually quite surprised how easy the install went--now I have the top row of "useless" function keys actually doing real things and windows keys.

Enjoying the "ALPS" blue switches too, although mine are branded Forward.  Vintage switches with the long gray switchplate and absolutely identical to ALPS (I had some "real" ALPS-branded blues to compare to), although from looking they may be made from ALPS seconds, some of the leads on the switchplates aren't well formed (squared at the ends instead of rounded)--but doesn't affect the feel.  After a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner good as new, light and clicky.   Salvaged from a Chicony KB5161.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 22 April 2018, 19:22:51 »
One more obnoxious tech question:  Can you tell which pins were used for row, column, and LED?  I'd like to set up Soarer's Controller on this because I like that you don't need a whole AVR cevelopment stack to change the key mapping. :)

From looking at your picture and the assembled unit, It looks like the LEDs are B4-B6, and the rows might be B7 and D0 through D4, but I can't see the column stuff because it's on the back and covered by the Teensy now.

Here you go.

194420-0

You will have to see the qmk file to figure out what columns/rows go to which switches though, can't really give you a picture of that.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 April 2018, 08:57:32 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline Hak Foo

Re: [Extras Available] Omnikey/Fullsize custom PCB
« Reply #34 on: Mon, 23 April 2018, 01:52:22 »
Here's a matrix definition which should work.

(Embedded mess turned into attached file)

The layout changes should be pretty obvious for a different layout, but the PJRC hid_listen tool works well with Soarer's firmware-- if you push a key, it will indicate the key number being pressed, even if it's undefined in the matrix.  Useful for figuring out how many empty spaces you need.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 April 2018, 01:54:40 by Hak Foo »

Offline gened

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 13:49:58 »
The board worked great in my later-model Ultra T; it doesn't fit my older Ultra.  The left function keys and numeric keypad are correctly aligned, but the spacing between the four groups of keys is different on this model. 

Certainly looks like it can be fixed in a 2.0 revision of the board (if there ever is one) by turning the switches upside down from the current layout with a different set of holes.

Gentle persuasion didn't make the switches fit the misaligned holes.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 28 April 2018, 14:01:56 »
The board worked great in my later-model Ultra T; it doesn't fit my older Ultra.  The left function keys and numeric keypad are correctly aligned, but the spacing between the four groups of keys is different on this model. 

Certainly looks like it can be fixed in a 2.0 revision of the board (if there ever is one) by turning the switches upside down from the current layout with a different set of holes.

Gentle persuasion didn't make the switches fit the misaligned holes.

Hmm, so the ultra has different cluster spacing...That sucks. Would you be able to measure the difference in spacing? I want to see what has caused this problem, as I suspect the Ultra may be an oddball, or if more have issues that somehow slipped through the cracks. I am sorry this happened, and will try and fix this soonish.

Offline the_ambyguous

• there's a fine line between click and clack
Re: [Finished] Omnikey/Fullsize custom PCB
« Reply #37 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 20:16:42 »
are there still 8 PCB's left to buy?
Magnavox Typewriter | AEK64 | 658-4081 | Leading Edge 3501 | Omnikey Orange | 197Stotle | MPC2000

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
Re: [Finished] Omnikey/Fullsize custom PCB
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 20:19:45 »
are there still 8 PCB's left to buy?

Nope, I may still have one but can't even remember which box they would be in atm. I may have one if you want to pm me so I don't forget.