Author Topic: [GB] KAT Refined *** FIRST SETS DELIVERED ***  (Read 164655 times)

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
[GB] KAT Refined *** FIRST SETS DELIVERED ***
« on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 15:06:07 »
Welcome to GMK KAT Refined

TX66 by TX Keyboard Inc & Iron180 by Smith + Rune

Final numbers

Vendors

EU: Mykeyboard.eu
    US: TX Keyboards
    Canada: Deskhero
    Asia: zFrontier
    Oceania: Daily Clack
    Ukraine\Russia\Belarus: Funkeys
    SEA: HEXKeyboards

Cap colors

— BoW will be the same as approved in round 1. Stock white (same as KAT Milkshake, KAT Alpha).
    — WoB is still TBD. New samples will be ordered but current sample will be used unless we can achieve a deeper black.

Potato shot with Katakana Cherry PBT on the sides.

General
    - I shot the caps with different types of light, during different parts of the day. The shot on the wooden table has a lot of light hitting the caps so you can clearly see the difference in the brightness of the caps and the black color.

WoB caps
    - Darkness of the black is not as deep as GMK as you can see. There is an option to go even darker but it will have severe implications on the legends. I am in discussions with Keyreative currently to see if there is a way we can go deeper black without messing up the legends somehow. It might be a lengthy process but I will order new sample caps and see where we end up. For now this will be the selected version until further notice. TBD!

WoB legends
    - These are rocking the same legends as last time. Thicker, but works very well in this case. I am happy where they are at so no changes expected.

BoW caps
    - I did not receive new samples of the White Stock color that I approved already. But I did receive KAT 176 which looks nice, but it is NOT what we are going with. It is only in the photos so show off the new thinner legends.

BoW legends
    - These legends are new and approximately 20% thinner than in Round 1 and WoB. They look much better but I still need to increase the letterspacing a bit to avoid having the letters almost touch. New round of sample caps will be ordered.

More renders

More

Kotai by Stewiedk97

TX66 by TX Keyboard Inc

Iron180 by Smith + Rune

Iron180 by Smith + Rune

Lodestone by Jae & Flex, FLX x Proto[Typist]

Iron165 by Smith + Rune

Iron165 by Smith + Rune

Candybar by TKC

Kit renders — BoW

More

Kit renders — WoB

More

About the set

More

I’ve been curious about the KAT profile ever since it was released. Heard good things about the typing experience and sound but I could just never get past the legends. As with most sculpted profiles the legends are really big, centered and seem less thought out than GMK/Cherry.

That being said, I get that some people love them. And that’s cool, I don’t want to step on designers toes but I am just not into that look at all. I thought that perhaps there are more people like me out there, who are annoyed with GMK icons/legends but can’t find a good alternative. Or people who are willing to try a more sculpted profile but just can’t see themselves using centered legends/icons.

This one is for you.

Show support

Add this to your signature

[/list]
    Code: [Select]
    [url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108835.0] [img]https://i.imgur.com/Snl6RMK.jpg[/img][/url]
    « Last Edit: Tue, 02 August 2022, 00:37:22 by MacSurfy »

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    Re: [GB] KAT Refined | GB launched. Let's go!
    « Reply #1 on: Thu, 01 October 2020, 01:38:11 »
    -reserved-

Offline KurtKurtson

Re: [GB] KAT Refined | GB launched!
    « Reply #2 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 09:56:51 »
    I am all IN!

Offline koenoe

• My YouTube channel
    « Reply #3 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 17:23:51 »
    Best KAT set ever.

Offline OmniSzron

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 02 October 2020, 19:42:47 »
    Love the set (or two sets), MacSurfy. I am however a bit weary about the quality of the dyesubbing from Keyreative after the whole KAT Milkshake debacle (misaligned icons, blurry edges, etc.). If this set would be plagued by the same imperfections it would be even more severe, due to its intricate nature. Are you in contact with Keyreative and do you know if they can guarantee that the same errors won't occur with this set?
    Fox Lab Key 65 split space

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #5 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 01:48:33 »
    Love the set (or two sets), MacSurfy. I am however a bit weary about the quality of the dyesubbing from Keyreative after the whole KAT Milkshake debacle (misaligned icons, blurry edges, etc.). If this set would be plagued by the same imperfections it would be even more severe, due to its intricate nature. Are you in contact with Keyreative and do you know if they can guarantee that the same errors won't occur with this set?

KAT Eternal has been shipping for a while and from what I know it does not have any of these issues. It's not problem free though since some buyers have reported shrinkage of the spacebars which Keyreative is already fixing so hopefully that is all taken care of before all orders are shipped. So all in all I am optimistic and I think Keyreative is focused on getting better at delivering perfect products so they don't have to redo anything since that's just not a good way to run a business.

Hope that answers your worries. Thank you!  :thumb:

Offline Sandersoni

• andidas.com
    « Reply #6 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 15:02:42 »
    Can I mix this with the mods from KAT Monochrome? I like their pure icon/no text mods.
    Wondering how similar the white and black shades are (Refined vs Monochrome)?

Offline azzipa

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 03 October 2020, 21:56:00 »
    Am a bit in awe of the work and attention to detail you've put into this, MacSurfy. Nothing simple about your design but it exudes simplicity. I'm in for WoB, decided on Text Mods at the finish line. Surprised myself.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
    • * Exquisite Elder
    • Bandit
      • Discord
    « Reply #8 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 04:19:54 »
    never thought i'd ever join a gb that isn't gmk, but here we are  :thumb:

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 13:26:52 »
    In for WoB and BoW !
    Thanks again for the French kits !
    Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline dibstern

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 17:52:31 »
    I'm so confused, why no stepped control? Massive oversight?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #11 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 05:04:53 »
    Can I mix this with the mods from KAT Monochrome? I like their pure icon/no text mods.
    Wondering how similar the white and black shades are (Refined vs Monochrome)?

Not sure what that will look like but if you want to mix then you are free to do so. Whites are different but the black should be the same.

Am a bit in awe of the work and attention to detail you've put into this, MacSurfy. Nothing simple about your design but it exudes simplicity. I'm in for WoB, decided on Text Mods at the finish line. Surprised myself.

never thought i'd ever join a gb that isn't gmk, but here we are  :thumb:

In for WoB and BoW !
    Thanks again for the French kits !

Thank you dudes!  :thumb:

I'm so confused, why no stepped control? Massive oversight?

Not an oversight but it was not requested during the long IC phase, so it was never added.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 08:21:44 »
    Can't decide between icon or text+icon mods. Help!

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #13 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 09:03:58 »

Let me help you: icon

Offline MrPretty

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 17:24:47 »

Let me help you: icon

This is correct  :D

Offline leavenember

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 05 October 2020, 18:21:46 »
    Great job with this!

Everything is so polished on this GB, from all the work on legends, simple kitting for beginners as well as options for non-standard layouts, overall very excited for this!!

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 October 2020, 01:55:16 »
    I'm getting BoW and WoB for myself and BoW for the missus.

You know what would be even more refined though MacSurfy? VoC.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:24:20 »
    Great job with this!

Everything is so polished on this GB, from all the work on legends, simple kitting for beginners as well as options for non-standard layouts, overall very excited for this!!

Thank you!

Thank u! VoC? As in Violet on Cream? That's Hiney's set and it's very unlikely to happen with Refined legends :)

Offline 3ambutter

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:13:50 »
    Are we going to get wob samples before GB is over? I'd like to see the quality of reverse dye sub before purchasing
    Reborn60 | Keycult No.1 Rev.1 | SKB60 | TGR x SINGA UNIKORN | GSKT-00

Offline Joaquox

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 03:02:47 »

Thank u! VoC? As in Violet on Cream? That's Hiney's set and it's very unlikely to happen with Refined legends :)
    Maybe a colab? The world deserves it!
    Second most refined colorway would be nines, and I bet Emir wouldn't mind!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
    « Reply #20 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 05:26:16 »
    Superb set in every way, great to work to everyone.  Looking forward to using these on various builds.

WoB all sets and B0W all sets ordered.  Thank you.
    Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
    More
    Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
    Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
    Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
      Keyboards -
    More
    IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Rico

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 06:46:59 »
    I really love the attention to details you put in your set that makes it very special.

Never thought I would be interested in simple BOW or WOB color sheme, to my surprise with your set it is.
    So interested in fact that I may pull the trigger for a BOW, WOB, or both :p

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #22 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 06:54:26 »
    Are we going to get wob samples before GB is over? I'd like to see the quality of reverse dye sub before purchasing

Hopefully! I don't know though.. timings keep getting pushed back and forth. I heard "next week" 3 weeks ago.

Offline hyphy

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 10:02:56 »
    New to the game and you just sold me on my first set! BoW Alpha/WoB iMods!

Your work and image samples look amazing, thanks for your efforts!

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
    « Reply #24 on: Thu, 08 October 2020, 17:48:18 »

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #25 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 01:27:28 »
    I received a photo today with the updated legends/icons and they look great. So the bleed has been sorted.

The photo also included WoB samples but the overall quality and white balance was too poor for me to share here. Going to ask them to send it to me instead.

Offline ..//dexx

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 04:15:19 »
    I'm still going back and forth between WoB or BoW... :-\

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #27 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 04:32:59 »
    I am hosting a little giveaway on Reddit. Will close the raffle in about 30hrs.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/j7vaxe/kat_refined_giveaway/

Offline NorrittMTG

• * Vendor
    « Reply #28 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 05:29:30 »
    This set hurt my AMEX LOL.
    I mean... you gotta get a full set in both wob and bow right!?
     :thumb:

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #29 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 07:11:34 »
    This set hurt my AMEX LOL.
    I mean... you gotta get a full set in both wob and bow right!?
     :thumb:

this is true

Offline Rico

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 09 October 2020, 07:31:42 »
    Up, just did it :D

Offline menuhin

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 07:24:49 »
    Some samples to let us know how KAT reverse-dye-sub looks like will be very helpful.
    I'm mostly into the WoB sets.

GLWGB!
    Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
    More
    Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
    IBM M13 black
    NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
    HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
    [~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Fulanito

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 11:06:35 »
    This is beautiful. As someone new to this: how would the quality compare to GMK, would this be noticeably more flimsy? I have a Tai-Hao keycaps set, would this be of better quality?

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #33 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 11:14:12 »
    Some samples to let us know how KAT reverse-dye-sub looks like will be very helpful.
    I'm mostly into the WoB sets.

GLWGB!

Mentioned a few posts above yours that I do not have those samples yet. But hopefully they will be here next week. I am still waiting for confirmation on that but the samples exist (in China). Not going to share the photo I have of them since the quality was pretty bad.

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 11:36:09 »
    Not going to share the photo I have of them since the quality was pretty bad.

I have to agree, potato photos started a few drama recently where there was no problem at all.

KAT Eternal
    KAT Specimen
    KAT Lich

Offline Nessism

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 19:24:59 »
    Placed my order. :thumb:

How is the GB going so far?  Are all the minimum's going to be met so all the kits will be made?

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
    « Reply #36 on: Mon, 12 October 2020, 20:07:22 »
    Placed my order. :thumb:

How is the GB going so far?  Are all the minimum's going to be met so all the kits will be made?

Yes.  As of October 8 (see below):

All kits will be made
    54K MOQ met
    Now at 82K (152%)

Show Image

Offline Domantas

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 05:07:19 »
    I have a question:
    Is black common black of KAT colors? I want to reduce the cost by buying both white and black but avoiding buying black spacebar kit to save some money this time and buy it later with some kind of other kits with black colors (because it has no legends it is more universal)

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #38 on: Wed, 14 October 2020, 06:12:36 »
    I have a question:
    Is black common black of KAT colors? I want to reduce the cost by buying both white and black but avoiding buying black spacebar kit to save some money this time and buy it later with some kind of other kits with black colors (because it has no legends it is more universal)

That's a tough one to answer. Quite a few KAT sets have been in GB already but only two(?) of which one is mine is using black. So yes, I can imagine more sets will use the same black in the future, but far from all sets use black. So you might have to wait a while until it turns up. U can always try to grab the WoB spacebar kit on the aftermarket later, otherwise you might have to wait a long time for the next set to come around. But who knows, maybe we will see an IC for that soon.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
    « Reply #39 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 20:46:41 »

Offline Foofo

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 17 October 2020, 21:03:22 »
    Why is KAT Refined Alpha BoW sold out on mykeyboard.eu?  Was about to order...

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #41 on: Sun, 18 October 2020, 02:33:47 »
    Why is KAT Refined Alpha BoW sold out on mykeyboard.eu?  Was about to order...

It's not sold out for me? All kits are available for order here.

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #42 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 10:37:25 »
    Round 2 samples have arrived! Both WoB and BoW this time. Will post photos tomorrow so stay tuned.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
    « Reply #43 on: Tue, 20 October 2020, 20:25:14 »
    « Last Edit: Wed, 21 October 2020, 01:18:37 by dvorcol »

Offline ainet

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 02:19:16 »
    I can't wait for them to arrive

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #45 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 10:14:31 »
    -
    « Last Edit: Wed, 21 October 2020, 13:22:53 by MacSurfy »

Offline Nepherte

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 10:50:12 »
    To my eyes, KAT WS1 still looks best. I prefer it over KAT176. My 2 cents...

Offline ..//dexx

Re: [GB] KAT Refined | New samples! WoB and BoW
    « Reply #47 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 10:54:48 »
    KAT 176 looks to be a good compromise. Though I vote  for WS1 if the choice is between KAT WS2 and WS1

Offline MacSurfy

• Designer & 3D artist
    « Reply #48 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 10:59:45 »
    KAT 176 looks to be a good compromise. Though I vote  for WS1 if the choice is between KAT WS2 and WS1

Yeah WS2 is def not an option for this set.  :D

Offline Muchacho

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 11:11:41 »
    KAT 176 looks nice!