Author Topic: [IC] GMK White Wolf 🐺  (Read 136340 times)

Offline udller

Re: [IC] GMK White Wolf 🐺
« Reply #350 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 20:56:34 »
hahaha i just saw the alt gr. that a cool smart move.:)

Offline VagueOrigin

« Reply #351 on: Wed, 09 September 2020, 23:16:03 »
Due to the growth of the hobby there have been a large spike in projects and ideas being proposed to us. We can't possibly do research on our own and make sure each and every set is original and free from infringements, and have at times struggled with this in the past. Therefore, we are adding a clause to our contracts with the vendors in which we define that it is the vendor's responsibility to check for IP/Copyright violations, and in case of legal action from studios/IP holders that the vendor and designer will be solely responsible for all liabilities and financial damages. After these contracts are in place this should help mitigate this issue from happening down the line.

With this being said, we have already mentioned to the appropriate parties that we are happy to move forward with this project as soon as an official license has been granted by the studio or we have written evidence by the studio that confirms that the current design doesn't infringe their IP and they are waiving any legal action.

We never want to see a project not happen are hope to see this come to fruition as soon as possible!

If you do have direct questions regarding this please don't hesitate to reach out to me and I'll try to answer them as prompty as I can!
This sounds NUTS...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline Suli

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 01:38:59 »
JTK White Wolf waiting room. I think it would be cool to see this set in tripleshot, but don't know what sublegends.

Offline alper_maestro

Re: [IC] GMK White Wolf
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 02:04:48 »
Is it possible to just run the set without novelties, and run the novelties add-on kit after the written-permission is granted?
What is the purpose of running the set without the novelties, which makes basically the whole 'Witcher' theme? Does not make any sense.

Offline bobgr8

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 07:18:43 »
What happened is regrettable : (

Offline MIXO Cables

« Reply #355 on: Sun, 13 September 2020, 22:57:19 »
gonna do an all grey cable for this

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #356 on: Sat, 10 October 2020, 01:01:54 »
I would just like to add two things, with no disrespect to any party involved, but just as a clarification to my earlier post:

- I have already had an unbiased EU-based copyright lawyer sign off on the design, after analysing our final kits.
- There is no way to realistically get written permission from a large studio, confirming a design does not infringe on their copyrights (I had unofficial verbal confirmation from them, but this is obviously not admissible).

Cheers everyone and have a wonderful day! 🍻

It's not only unrealistic, it's flat out insane. How do they expect the studio to confirm something *doesn't* infringe on their IP? If there were questions regarding that, then there's reasonable concern that there's infringement in the first place. If there's no infringement, then there's no need to get confirmation from anyone anyway.

What's weird is that GMK has picked up sets in the past and are *still* picking up sets right now that are way more obvious and in some cases just flat out blatant infringement.

This is plain ridiculous and I hope you launch this w/ JTK or maybe even go KAT or something.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #357 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 10:03:34 »
Ininikey or Kat are definitely the way to go  :-*

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #358 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 11:12:36 »
It feels like OP actually got screwed by doing any work towards the copyright. It seems like its better off not mentioning it all so GMK can say they never had the conversation, vs putting the cards on the table and letting GMK make the call, which they dont want to do. It is quite obvious they dont really care (100s of other sets with way worse infringement). Dont ask dont tell with GMK

Offline boneandbee

« Reply #359 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 14:28:35 »
Aw I'm sorry this got halted. I thought it was a really cool set and really didn't see any copyright infringement. I hope it gets run (or a variation) in the future. Really love the backspace  ;D

Offline helborne

« Reply #360 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 13:12:13 »
I was really hoping that this set was on its way to GB.  That's too bad with GMK but it's understandable.  This seems like it would be a good candidate for Infinikey or even KAT White Wolf.  The reverse dye sub shouldn't be too bad given the legends aren't very complicated. 

Offline break

« Reply #361 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 14:54:52 »
It feels like OP actually got screwed by doing any work towards the copyright. It seems like its better off not mentioning it all so GMK can say they never had the conversation, vs putting the cards on the table and letting GMK make the call, which they dont want to do. It is quite obvious they dont really care (100s of other sets with way worse infringement). Dont ask dont tell with GMK

Pleading ignorance is not a particularly legal effective strategy. Also note that IP laws work differently in Japan than elsewhere, which unlocks a lot of anime-themed keysets for GB.

Offline GMK_Andy

• * Vendor
« Reply #362 on: Wed, 02 December 2020, 13:15:25 »
Dont ask dont tell with GMK

We don't live under rocks, many of us are Witcher fans even  ;D

We are just very aware of copyright and trademark laws, and always do our due dilligance, for our protection, and the protection of our vendors.

I'm happy to sit down for a game of Gwent and disucss ways to creatively produce a set that would clearly give a nod to the Witcher universe without potentially crossing any lines  :thumb:

As I mentioned before, if we have written permission from CDPR, obviously we will greenlight anything they have approved of as well. This has happened before in the community, notably with some Star Wars themed sets (and permission from Disney).

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #363 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 14:19:24 »

We are just very aware of copyright and trademark laws, and always do our due dilligance, for our protection, and the protection of our vendors.

I'm happy to sit down for a game of Gwent and disucss ways to creatively produce a set that would clearly give a nod to the Witcher universe without potentially crossing any lines  :thumb:

As I mentioned before, if we have written permission from CDPR, obviously we will greenlight anything they have approved of as well. This has happened before in the community, notably with some Star Wars themed sets (and permission from Disney).

If they even got a greenlight from a copyright lawyer then I don't understand the refusal to run it?

Unless the designer lied about that but I wouldn't expect that tbh...

Offline mrvco

« Reply #364 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 15:16:51 »

If they even got a greenlight from a copyright lawyer then I don't understand the refusal to run it?

Unless the designer lied about that but I wouldn't expect that tbh...

Unfortunately copyright law is more about which party has the deepest pockets than anything.  If you get on the radar of a large IP holder, then you're going to burn a lot of cash just getting to a point where your copyright lawyer can make their case.  With so many 'inspired by' and 'homage' sets, it is interesting that this particular set triggered GMK.

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #365 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 16:21:06 »
Can we just get a GB for those sweet accent keys? Those colors are great

Offline underling

« Reply #366 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 18:52:43 »

Unfortunately copyright law is more about which party has the deepest pockets than anything.  If you get on the radar of a large IP holder, then you're going to burn a lot of cash just getting to a point where your copyright lawyer can make their case.  With so many 'inspired by' and 'homage' sets, it is interesting that this particular set triggered GMK.

I wonder how much of it has to do with Sapkowski's penchant for litigation? If not specifically because of his CDPR suits, just because of the noise and hassle of it if he decided to rattle a saber..

Really a bummer though, this set was really cool looking and I'm a huge Witcher fan.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #367 on: Tue, 08 December 2020, 20:54:37 »
What exactly is copy righted in the set? That wolf symbol? (it doesn't look like the one I see on all the Witcher stuff, but i guess there could be more then one wolf symbol Witcher uses) The sword symbol? Those triangle and hourglass symbols?
Someone explain what exactly is in that set that is copy righted?
I'm just going to assume it's the wolf symbol, becasue that's about the only thing that makes even a little sense, just pick a different cool wolf symbol. There's like a billion out there. (The one Cloud uses is way better for instance.)

Offline Lord_Rabel

• The geek that doctors trust.
« Reply #368 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 02:20:55 »
What exactly is copy righted in the set? That wolf symbol? (it doesn't look like the one I see on all the Witcher stuff, but i guess there could be more then one wolf symbol Witcher uses) The sword symbol? Those triangle and hourglass symbols?
Someone explain what exactly is in that set that is copy righted?
I'm just going to assume it's the wolf symbol, becasue that's about the only thing that makes even a little sense, just pick a different cool wolf symbol. There's like a billion out there. (The one Cloud uses is way better for instance.)

Probably the Witcher signs. Because he tried to redesign them (which in my opinion didn't turn out as good as the original ones). And GMK themselves probably don't want to get into trouble.

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #369 on: Thu, 10 December 2020, 06:02:18 »
There’s also the fact that the original novelties, and therefore the original marketing materials, featured pieces of the official Witcher TV show logo, which might even be trademarked.

Plus, setting aside legal concerns, there’s also the problem of pi**ing off a major player in the entertainment business (Netflix). I’m sure GMK would like to be able to do officially licensed sets in the future, and running a high-profile knock-off (legal or not) doesn’t exactly endear you to future potential licensors.

Note that by “knock-off,” I’m not commenting on the quality of the hypothetical keyset. I’m sure it would have been great. But it still would have been unauthorized Witcher merchandise.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2020, 06:07:50 by NoPunIn10Did »

Offline PixelOps

« Reply #370 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 06:04:04 »
try with jtk

Offline WalkinTrashCan

• I know that they at the crib going crazy down bad
Re: [IC] GMK White Wolf
« Reply #371 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 03:37:36 »
Wish this would get revived :(

Offline Gabrielcr78

« Reply #372 on: Tue, 27 July 2021, 09:24:31 »
I like this one a lot! any chance to add support for ISO Spanish or ANSI US International Layout?

Offline hk21022

« Reply #373 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 22:51:37 »
I like the color and that is why I will buy this set if it comes out. Frankly, I don't like the sword art keys like the Enter key in the base set. I would like it more if we had accent keys in a different color (perhaps the same color as the letters) in the base set instead of the "art" keys.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 06 September 2021, 01:01:32 »
I like the color and that is why I will buy this set if it comes out. Frankly, I don't like the sword art keys like the Enter key in the base set. I would like it more if we had accent keys in a different color (perhaps the same color as the letters) in the base set instead of the "art" keys.

Please re-read the OP (even the first paragraph will do) before digging up necro threads
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline alper_maestro

« Reply #375 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 05:23:22 »
Wish this would get revived, stupid CDP!

Offline akejojo

« Reply #376 on: Mon, 01 November 2021, 08:19:48 »
 Those colors are great

Offline SmitH1y

« Reply #377 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 10:11:02 »
YES PLEASE

Offline WhiskyBoi99

« Reply #378 on: Tue, 02 November 2021, 21:11:57 »
Would still love to see this happen. Great colours. Good luck getting everything sorted.

Offline doggo1dance

« Reply #379 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 00:59:12 »
what an amazing set!!!!!!!!!! glwicccccc!!!!!! xdddddddd

Offline ClackCulture

« Reply #380 on: Wed, 03 November 2021, 06:19:26 »
surely theres going to be a game of thrones related artisan!

Offline windlabs

« Reply #381 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 02:09:46 »
keep good work

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
« Reply #382 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 14:20:24 »
surely theres going to be a game of thrones related artisan!

I think you might be in the wrong fantasy universe.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #383 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 18:12:51 »
What’s better than messing with one fantasy IP? Make it two.

This thread has been necro’d more than the night kings army.